HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier

Old
03-09-2013, 03:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
I'm not worried about him going forward but man is this guy struggling this season.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:46 PM
FlyersFan61290

he is struggling mightily right now. hopefully when it becomes evident to all that within the organization that the flyers won't be making the playoffs he'll get some more ice time. today was the second game in a row that he's gotten 10 min. that's not enough for a guy to get out of this funk. i wonder if moving him to wing for a little and having him play up on a line would help out his confidence. richie played wing for a little while when he first started in the NHL.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Haute Couturier

Lavi should try sheltering him. Stick him on a scoring line, have him face easy opponents, and give him easy zone starts instead of expecting a 20 year old to do the most of the heavy lifting.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:02 PM
BillDineen

Players have sophomore slumps and then bounce back. See Bobrovsky thread.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Lavi should try sheltering him. Stick him on a scoring line, have him face easy opponents, and give him easy zone starts instead of expecting a 20 year old to do the most of the heavy lifting.
He should be shutting down big centers when he can. Get in their heads like how he can deal with Malkin, cause a mistake and take advantage of it.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:14 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Players have sophomore slumps and then bounce back. See Bobrovsky thread.
I'm not worried about the turnovers or the defense or the faceoffs. That will all come / come back. He's a stud defensively and he was dominant at faceoffs in junior and will return to that level as he matures.

What does worry me slightly though is the scoring. He's simply not a 70 point NHL center. He's a 50 point (as in 50 point average per year) #2C w/ elite defensive skills. Anyone expecting more is sure to experience a let-down IMO.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:49 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I'd be good with that. 50-60 points with elite defense is a great asset to have.

03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Everyone is in play even Couturier if the return is good and what we need

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'd be good with that. 50-60 points with elite defense is a great asset to have.
This. He would be a tremendous asset in our division if that's what he becomes. We're looking at longterm Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Staal, Kovy, Nash, etc. A player like Couturier is a must.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:30 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This. He would be a tremendous asset in our division if that's what he becomes. We're looking at longterm Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Staal, Kovy, Nash, etc. A player like Couturier is a must.
don't forget Ovechkin and that guy the blue jackets have...what his name?

seriously though ov ever does turn it around he'll be in our "conference" starting next year. similarly if the blue jackets continue to suck they'll pile up some great players, potentially starting this year.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Papa Voracek

Looking at Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and he is having similar problems.

RNH
GP [23] G [1] A [7] P [8] +/- [-5] PIM [4] PP [0]

Sean Couturier
GP [24] G [2] A [5] P [7] +/- [-8] PIM [4] PP [0]

It's amazing how similar the stats are and RNH is a more offense talented guy.

Papa Voracek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:22 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Voracek View Post
Looking at Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and he is having similar problems.

RNH
GP [23] G [1] A [7] P [8] +/- [-5] PIM [4] PP [0]

Sean Couturier
GP [24] G [2] A [5] P [7] +/- [-8] PIM [4] PP [0]

It's amazing how similar the stats are and RNH is a more offense talented guy.
great first post. i really hadn't realized that

Old
03-10-2013, 06:55 PM
ducky

Difficult to compare the 2.

RNH had 52 points in 62 games last year. Edmonton fully expected him to be a top player right away and a top player in the league within the next few years. He is their clear cut #1 centre. He simply has not produced this season.

Couturier had 27 points in 77 games. Obviously he played a big role as a checking centre but realistically isnt a #1 C. On the Flyers he is likely a #3. He could be a #2.

Unless Couturier has forgotten how to play defense/check this year he has no where near the struggles of RNH.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:13 PM
MP92

He's really gotta work on his acceleration. He could have had a breakaway tonight. Hell of a shot though even though it hit the crossbar.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
FlyersFan61290

i thought he had a good game tonight. so did the pretty much the whole team in general though so it's kinda hard to judge if he's starting to come out of his funk. i think he needs to string a couple good games together before i can say that. anyway, moving him back to #3 C position was a good move imo.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless Couts View Post
He's really gotta work on his acceleration. He could have had a breakaway tonight. Hell of a shot though even though it hit the crossbar.
So unlucky.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:54 AM
SolidSnakeUS

If he can work on a bit of upper body strength and doing his best to keep getting better acceleration in the off-season, he should be a LOT better.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
buff

Couturier is the Malkin Killer and I like that!

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:01 PM
PhillyFlying

it's difficult to improve on your offensive game when your coach is using you in a shutdown role. and i personally have no problem with that. he's great at it. the points will come with the years. let us learn to be patient, please.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
it's difficult to improve on your offensive game when your coach is using you in a shutdown role. and i personally have no problem with that. he's great at it. the points will come with the years. let us learn to be patient, please.
It's hard when you see players like Huberdeau. Florida showed the patience with him last year, and let him continue to grow offensively. I just hope Philly doesn't stunt his offensive growth. I would love in the summer to sign him to a 4 year-2.5 mill contract and THEN move him into a more offensive role.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:11 PM
flyersguy33*

Coots was seen as the greatest ever during the playoffs shutting down Malkin. and now you want him traded. LoL.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Papa Voracek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Difficult to compare the 2.

RNH had 52 points in 62 games last year. Edmonton fully expected him to be a top player right away and a top player in the league within the next few years. He is their clear cut #1 centre. He simply has not produced this season.

Couturier had 27 points in 77 games. Obviously he played a big role as a checking centre but realistically isnt a #1 C. On the Flyers he is likely a #3. He could be a #2.

Unless Couturier has forgotten how to play defense/check this year he has no where near the struggles of RNH.
Agreed I just used him because he was the only one I could think of that played right out of the draft like Couturier last year. RNH obviously has a higher offensive ceiling.

Couturier just needs time to bulk up, just doesnt look strong enough in the offensive zone, He gets pushed around to easily when on offense.

Papa Voracek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJoe View Post
Let me preface everything by saying like Couturier as a player and I'm aware that he's a great defensive center. That being said, I really don't know what people see in this guy from an offensive standpoint. I understand that his linemates are somewhat to blame but I really just don't see a lot from him with the puck. His board play is good but he's been horrible on the power play. His puck control through the neutral zone is also poor. His production has matched what looks like to me as a defeciency in offensive ability. Schenn has been one of our best players all year and at times looks like our best even strength player but the majority of the fan base values him lower than Couturier. I honestly just think that Couturier is overrated by this fan base (I even saw someone say that he should be the eventual first line center with Giroux on the wing which I find ridiculous) and that's why I'm a proponent of trading him for a good young defenseman.

My questions are, for the guys who value him highly, what do you see his offensive potential as? and who is a comparable player in their prime? (Jordan Staal looks like the absolute ceiling to me).

Also anyone out there like me who view Schenn and Voracek as more valuable developing players?
Big guys like him often their offense suffers in NHL. I think why he slide a little in draft. Just common sense...size compared to fast tempo NHL game. J.Staal has averaged 48 points a year in his career. This year in Carolina playing more offense opportunities he's on pace for 58 pts, based on 82 games. Just harder for them to score like they did in junior. Still, Cout at worst he's 3rd line center, 40pts. At best, he's 2nd line 60pts center.

Mats86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:07 AM
RussianRocket10

My dad is starting to hate Couturier for his lack of scoring. Anytime someone scores he says something along the lines of "Couturier would have missed that."

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Codith

You can tell by the way he is playing that his confidence is shot, I have never seen him turn the puck over so much, which for him is very rare typically. I know he will turn it around, it might take until next year, but the kid has so much talent that he just isn't this bad.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote