HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Making FNC a hard place to play in?

Old
03-07-2013, 02:06 PM
cybresabre
Crabby Seer

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
Ice girls with that?
That's too far.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:45 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custer99 View Post
The last sentence here says it perfectly. The incessant oh but the children mentality needs to stop. I went to many games with my dad at the aud and heard some vile stuff. I loved it. I was at the game last year hat the wMannheim fans were at. It was embarrassing that thy were the only people in the stadium making noise. 40 years of sabres hockey and all we have is let's go buffalo. Clap clap clapclapclap? Use the shout chant as a universal buffalo thing. Anything.
Yep, I've been shushed more than once by either, and this is a generalization, a middle aged woman or a family. I typically sit in the 200 or lower 300 so that may have a part to do with it. I am not a rowdy cussing a-hole but I am active in my (dis)pleasure in the game. It reminds me of Vegas. Once a wild and crazy place it attempted to appeal to everyone and in the end appealed to nobody. I am not saying that you want hockey game to be the endzones at bills games but you have to have some spirit.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:47 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
That's too far.
Ice girls would be the exact opposite of what I am talking about. Cheerleaders are more of the typical manufactured, call and response fandom. You need active fans who work hard, mind you it is hard for me as a fan to work hard when the team is not.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:40 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
Ice girls with that?
You, sir, should be banned for life.

Leave that for cities who don't have as good a hockey tradition as Buffalo does. SabreNation hasn't reached THAT level yet. And I hope it never does.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:48 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post

Leave that for cities who don't have as good a hockey tradition as Buffalo does. SabreNation hasn't reached THAT level yet. And I hope it never does.
Oh cut 'em a little slack!

He's either a hormones raging pimple faced teenager or a dirty old man

But I agree, the ice girl/cheerleader garbage some cities do is hella bad. Cheeeeeeezy.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:

Totally. Buffalo has a long standing tradition of true hockey things like kisscam and blooper reels. Can't mess with that!

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Totally. Buffalo has a long standing tradition of true hockey things like kisscam and blooper reels. Can't mess with that!
If I was running the show, those things would be drop kicked off the Peace Bridge never to surface again. I'm not down with them, either.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:47 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

We have sports psychologists on the team right? Why is it that difficult to hire a behavioral psychologist and tell them to figure out what things encourage people to get loud. I bet there's at least one team that already employs one.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:36 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
We have sports psychologists on the team right? Why is it that difficult to hire a behavioral psychologist and tell them to figure out what things encourage people to get loud. I bet there's at least one team that already employs one.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Bring in the fans from Rochester, Erie, St. Catharines(Niagara IceDogs) and Niagara University and SHOW SabreFan how to support the team, instead of just sitting on their butts. Especially Erie's fans. They've had to put up with crappy teams for years, but you'd never know it by the degree to which they support the Otters.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

What's not to like about the kisscam? It's entertaining.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:28 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Hey, maybe Pegula would be gracious and generous enough to send the entire fanbase to a shrink.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:55 AM
aceface33

Quote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Bring in the fans from Rochester, Erie, St. Catharines(Niagara IceDogs) and Niagara University and SHOW SabreFan how to support the team, instead of just sitting on their butts. Especially Erie's fans. They've had to put up with crappy teams for years, but you'd never know it by the degree to which they support the Otters.
Let me put it this way: you feel like more of an ass when going nuts for a crappy team when you've paid $50 a ticket then you do when you've paid $10 a ticket. In the minors it's a "Yay hockey, let's have a good time!" attitude, in the pros it's "I paid $50 (or more) for this? **** off!"

But as I've said before in this thread many times, all the fans want to see is effort. The team does not even have to be that good. In their last home game vs. the Devils the Sabres were coming off their worst home game in years yet from the moment Kovalchuck started chasing Kaleta around the ice the fans were locked in and loud.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:34 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Because it's up to the fans to act like they give a ****.

The tickets are so expensive, the type of crowd that goes to the games isn't the type of crowd that's going to stand up and yell and cheer. They're all upper middle class 35-50 year olds who buy tickets so they can tell their friends/relatives/co-workers that they go to the games.

There's nothing wrong with that, but when the majority of your crowd is made up of those folks, the building is going to seem lifeless.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:38 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post

The tickets are so expensive, the type of crowd that goes to the games isn't the type of crowd that's going to stand up and yell and cheer. They're all upper middle class 35-50 year olds who buy tickets so they can tell their friends/relatives/co-workers that they go to the games.

There's nothing wrong with that, but when the majority of your crowd is made up of those folks, the building is going to seem lifeless.
Equating not actively cheering the team on to only going so they can tell people they did is RIDICULOUS.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:51 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Equating not actively cheering the team on to only going so they can tell people they did is RIDICULOUS.
It is a big (and not completely serious) assumption, but its the vibe I get anytime I sit in the 100 level. Lots of time spent talking about something not related to hockey, lots of time on or looking at their cell phones, lots of time trekking up to the concession stand to buy another beer during a period, etc, etc.

Seems like they go to the games to have a mildly interesting background to hangout with a couple friends and drink expensive beers. Everybody just seems so tuned out of the games down there.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Maybe If they changed the piece of **** goal song back to song 2 it would energize fans after goals. No one wants to hear that hipster type garbage, I want to be screaming Wooohoooo after a goal. Song 2 is the best goal/scoring song ever made. It is like the song was created to play at sporting events!

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:37 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
It is a big (and not completely serious) assumption, but its the vibe I get anytime I sit in the 100 level. Lots of time spent talking about something not related to hockey, lots of time on or looking at their cell phones, lots of time trekking up to the concession stand to buy another beer during a period, etc, etc.

Seems like they go to the games to have a mildly interesting background to hangout with a couple friends and drink expensive beers. Everybody just seems so tuned out of the games down there.
Of course there will be some of those folks. But don't use the word "all".

There are plenty of people that aren't loud whom aren't these silly go-just-to-say-they-did fans. PLENTY.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:40 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:

There are plenty of people that aren't loud whom aren't these silly go-just-to-say-they-did fans. PLENTY.

This is such an annoying conversation to have because a bunch of people get personally offended when you try to suggest that they may be at fault for the graveyard that is the FNC.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Clock

Quote:

The tickets are so expensive, the type of crowd that goes to the games isn't the type of crowd that's going to stand up and yell and cheer.
I hate to JoshJull you here, but reality disagrees with your correlation. The Sabres have some of the cheapest tickets in the NHL, yet the arena's atmosphere isn't on par with that of other teams who are more expensive.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:41 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Let me put it this way: you feel like more of an ass when going nuts for a crappy team when you've paid $50 a ticket then you do when you've paid $10 a ticket. In the minors it's a "Yay hockey, let's have a good time!" attitude, in the pros it's "I paid $50 (or more) for this? **** off!"

But as I've said before in this thread many times, all the fans want to see is effort. The team does not even have to be that good. In their last home game vs. the Devils the Sabres were coming off their worst home game in years yet from the moment Kovalchuck started chasing Kaleta around the ice the fans were locked in and loud.
Good way to put it, ace.

I'm a STH for the Bandits(the indoor lacrosse team that shares the FNC with the Sabres)and have been for over a decade. I can count MAYBE on two hands in all that time that they've flat out blown chunks on the floor. Most of the time, they give their all; even if it's a loss, if the effort's there I'm happy. Half the time, we don't see that with the Sabres.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:57 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:

Didn't you say earlier in the thread that you've been to 1 game in the last 2 years?

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Quote:

As a Kings fan from the EXACT same area as you who actively still watches the Sabres and goes to games because I love hockey, I agree. Williamsville/Clarence/Amherst areas are probably one of the most hockey crazed areas out of all the towns. I know almost 90% of the kids I went to High School with I can talk to about hockey. Very stupid assumption.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:08 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

I tend to be louder in the 100s because I know the players can hear me. In the 300s with the birds eye view I fall into analyzing the game more and am more quiet.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:

This is such an annoying conversation to have because a bunch of people get personally offended when you try to suggest that they may be at fault for the graveyard that is the FNC.
You're avoiding what I said. It has nothing to do with being offended. It has to do with you putting the blame at the feet of a large group of people then saying or implying that group aren't really even fans of the team. It's not offensive, it's ignorant.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:27 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
You're avoiding what I said. It has nothing to do with being offended. It has to do with you putting the blame at the feet of a large group of people then saying or implying that group aren't really even fans of the team. It's not offensive, it's ignorant.
That's what this whole thread is about, right? Placing the blame (for a quiet arena) at the feet of a large group of people (Sabres fans).