HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

2013 World Baseball Classic: March 219

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2013, 02:22 PM
  #301
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Well Jose Bautista isn't very smart then.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:24 PM
  #302
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Haha, I know he's a top prospect. But that's all he is at this point. Holland is a solid middle of the rotation starter in the majors already - with better bats behind him.
It's rough, a guy who couldnt' hack it in the minors and is now pitching in Italy with 85 MPH fastballs shut our team down last game.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:25 PM
  #303
Have My Baby Pierre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
by the time teixeira was hurt, rizzo had already committed to italy. that'd be kind of ****** for him to switch teams especially in the same pool.
Yeah, that makes sense then. Even though I'd take Rizzo over Tex, I'm a Yankees fan and Teixeira has to be one of the most frustrating players to see up at bat...he does provide good defense though. Teixeira makes it on name value and being a vet I guess though.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:25 PM
  #304
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Yeah, that makes sense then. Even though I'd take Rizzo over Tex, I'm a Yankees fan and Teixeira has to be one of the most frustrating players to see up at bat...he does provide good defense though. Teixeira makes it on name value and being a vet I guess though.
Frankly I don't want a player on the team who calls the tournament an exhibition series.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:28 PM
  #305
Have My Baby Pierre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Frankly I don't want a player on the team who calls the tournament an exhibition series.
Who called it an exhibition series? Tex, Hosmer or Rizzo?

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:30 PM
  #306
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 18,922
vCash: 500
i think teixeira is going to have a rough year. his slg has dropped considerably in the last few years and wrist injuries are notorious power killers.

torre said he wanted a left-handed first baseman, fielder turned them down and i think hosmer is a better player than howard.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:33 PM
  #307
Have My Baby Pierre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,144
vCash: 500
Tex used to be a good hitter..came to the Yankees and now only tries to hit homers. Agreed about him in store for a tough season, he even admitted he will never be the same player he was and won't live up to his contract. And yeah, wrist injuries can be killer for power hitters.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:43 PM
  #308
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 18,922
vCash: 500
i'd like to fire bobby v like krusty wanted to fire sideshow luke perry.


robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:43 PM
  #309
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Who called it an exhibition series? Tex, Hosmer or Rizzo?
Teixeira said it wasn't like the Olympics, that it was an exhibition series.

First baseman Mark Teixeira even dismissed the notion that the World Baseball Classic can be compared to the Olympics, saying, "The Olympics are different. That's not an exhibition.

"This is an exhibition. But it's an exhibition we want to win."

Hosmer said this:

"Just hearing the national anthem on the line, and looking up and down the line and seeing the 24 guys you're representing your country with, there's no better feeling than that," Hosmer said, "and I couldn't be more excited to see these guys."

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:49 PM
  #310
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 18,922
vCash: 500
i like teixeira's honesty.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:49 PM
  #311
Have My Baby Pierre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Teixeira said it wasn't like the Olympics, that it was an exhibition series.

First baseman Mark Teixeira even dismissed the notion that the World Baseball Classic can be compared to the Olympics, saying, "The Olympics are different. That's not an exhibition.

"This is an exhibition. But it's an exhibition we want to win."

Hosmer said this:

"Just hearing the national anthem on the line, and looking up and down the line and seeing the 24 guys you're representing your country with, there's no better feeling than that," Hosmer said, "and I couldn't be more excited to see these guys."
That's really disappointing, so not only did they pick a guy who isn't close to the player he once was, they also pick the guy who doesn't care about the tournament over the young rising star that is passionate about it.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:51 PM
  #312
Have My Baby Pierre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
i like teixeira's honesty.
He may be being honest, but I bet there's not a lot of players from the other countries that feel that way..kind of backs up what I said before, some of the US players lack the passion since they take the game for granted.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:53 PM
  #313
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 18,922
vCash: 500
that american players don't care about the series doesn't matter to me, since, again, this tournament is not for america to dominate in. it's a tournament to spread the game around the world.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:03 PM
  #314
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,102
vCash: 500
It speaks to the randomness of the tournament that Italy is moving on and two of USA, Canada and Mexico are not.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:12 PM
  #315
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
that american players don't care about the series doesn't matter to me, since, again, this tournament is not for america to dominate in. it's a tournament to spread the game around the world.
The issue is that as a US fan and supporter, I want the team to pick the best players to win. To pick players who view the tournament as a fun thing to do instead of Spring Training is wrong. Pick players like Ryan Braun and David Wright who are stoked to be there and want to win.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:13 PM
  #316
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It speaks to the randomness of the tournament that Italy is moving on and two of USA, Canada and Mexico are not.
Small sample size tournaments can do that.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:22 PM
  #317
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 18,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
The issue is that as a US fan and supporter, I want the team to pick the best players to win. To pick players who view the tournament as a fun thing to do instead of Spring Training is wrong. Pick players like Ryan Braun and David Wright who are stoked to be there and want to win.
you have to understand that some players just aren't wired like that. some players view this as a series of meaningless exhibition games that interferes with them screwing around in spring training or would make them work too hard too early in the offseason.

there's no right answer for players. some just don't care about the wbc and won't play. it doesn't make them a lesser player.

it's great that braun and wright want to be there. but players can't be forced to go to the wbc.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:22 PM
  #318
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
you have to understand that some players just aren't wired like that. some players view this as a series of meaningless exhibition games that interferes with them screwing around in spring training or would make them work too hard too early in the offseason.

there's no right answer for players. some just don't care about the wbc and won't play. it doesn't make them a lesser player.

it's great that braun and wright want to be there. but players can't be forced to go to the wbc.
Exactly. You don't pick the players who view it like Teixeira does.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:24 PM
  #319
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Wright leadoff double.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:25 PM
  #320
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Taylor Green botches it.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:26 PM
  #321
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 18,922
vCash: 500
obviously they're not doing job interviews for these. they just pick all-star teams and fill holes as players are injured.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:27 PM
  #322
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
obviously they're not doing job interviews for these. they just pick all-star teams and fill holes as players are injured.
Which is a terrible way to do it. They need to copy USA basketball.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:27 PM
  #323
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 18,922
vCash: 500
if the tournament meant something they might.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:28 PM
  #324
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
if the tournament meant something they might.
What does that even mean?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:28 PM
  #325
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 18,922
vCash: 500
bunting is for chumps.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.