HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps sign, recall D Steven Oleksy

Old
03-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Steelhead16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Bears fan here. What I can tell u is Oleksys game is strictly old school. He does not chip in offensively much in Hershey he is your classic rugged hard nosed defender. The guy clears people out of the crease, makes big hits, and sticks up for his teammates. There have been numerous times this year where Steve has went down the ice after someone who questionably hit a Bear and fought them. And with his small size he normally wins a lot of his fights. I don't see him keep getting points but he will continue to hit and hit a lot. I really hope he keeps it up. Great guy and great teammate

On another note I'm sure McPhee had little to do with this signing I'm sure it mainly was Bear GM Doug Yingst, Oates, and Johansson
As someone who has seen Olie play in the neighborhood of 50-60 games in the ECHL I can second the thoughts of hb11. I am surprised that he got a shot but I am not surprised that he is playing like he is playing. "Old School" is a great description of Olie's game and unfortunately that doesn't seem to turn many heads in the NHL game anymore. I think Oates sees and appreciates what a guy like that can bring to his team. People have used the words "tough" and "angry" in the past few posts. Olie is a rare individual who can play tough but rarely gets angry and out of his game. He gets in WAY more fights for things done to teammates than anything done to himself. If he is personally "wronged" he doesn't run around and get his retribution. He knows there will be a time later to make his point. He doesn't take dumb penalties and hurt his team. He backs his teammates to the utmost. He thinks "D" first but will push the puck if the opportunity presents itself. His game doesn't go up and down so it wouldn't surprise me at all if what you have seen continues.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

OMG, hits and assists! He's +4!! Oleksy for Norris!!!!!!

He played much better against Florida than he did against Boston, but Florida also played like hot garbage and half of their roster is AHL players. I don't think anyone had a bad game for the Caps last night.

Oleksy still has plenty of very significant holes in his game, holes that will get exposed as time progresses. He's tentative to carry the puck, preferring to quickly dump it off to his teammates (often to the detriment of the breakout). He's willing to mix it up in front of the net, but he hasn't been particularly effective at actually clearing the crease. Despite the hits, he's not all that physically imposing and other teams aren't having that much trouble establishing position against him.

This isn't some crusade against toughness. NBTW and I didn't complain about the player McPhee signed, so much as the strange contract he gave him. There wasn't, and still isn't, any reason to give him three years.

That being said, he hasn't committed a delay of game penalty yet.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:36 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

As long as he can plant Alex Semin into the third row, I'll be fine with any holes he might have in his game.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
As long as he can plant Alex Semin into the third row, I'll be fine with any holes he might have in his game.
If he's on the ice against Semin, I might have a heart attack.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If he's on the ice against Semin, I might have a heart attack.
Caps still have a game at Carolina this season, right? Might just happen.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:47 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:

He played much better against Florida than he did against Boston, but Florida also played like hot garbage and half of their roster is AHL players. I don't think anyone had a bad game for the Caps last night.

Oleksy still has plenty of very significant holes in his game, holes that will get exposed as time progresses. He's tentative to carry the puck, preferring to quickly dump it off to his teammates (often to the detriment of the breakout). He's willing to mix it up in front of the net, but he hasn't been particularly effective at actually clearing the crease. Despite the hits, he's not all that physically imposing and other teams aren't having that much trouble establishing position against him.

This isn't some crusade against toughness. NBTW and I didn't complain about the player McPhee signed, so much as the strange contract he gave him. There wasn't, and still isn't, any reason to give him three years.

He got undressed by Santorelli last night. Either way, tho, he's played better than 55 and 3, given the small sample size. Let's see how he holds up over the next few games.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:51 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
He got undressed by Santorelli last night. Either way, tho, he's played better than 55 and 3, given the small sample size. Let's see how he holds up over the next few games.
Dude played over 22 minutes last night. I think they were a) resting the big guns and b) throwing him out there to see what he looked like against tougher (unsheltered) matchups.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Caps still have a game at Carolina this season, right? Might just happen.

Quote:
Dude played over 22 minutes last night. I think they were a) resting the big guns and b) throwing him out there to see what he looked like against tougher (unsheltered) matchups.
I don't think it's possible to play an unshelterd matchup against Florida.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:53 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:

Wow you know his holes already. There I went and thought it was inexperience and lack of size.

Do you mind doing a quick summary of the holes in the games of Kund Carlson and Green? If you would rather do Erskine Alzner and Sarge, whichever is easier.

Thanks in advance.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Wow you know his holes already. Wow and I thought it was inexperience and lack of size.

Do you mind doing a quick summary of the holes in the games of Kund Carlson and Green? If you would rather do Erskine Alzner and Sarge, whichever is easier.

Thanks!
All of them but Erskine "NEED MOAR HITZ AND TUFFNEZZZ"

Duh.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:55 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Yeah, and overall he did well. Just saying, he wasn't Chara out there either.

I like the guy so far.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:29 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
All of them but Erskine "NEED MOAR HITZ AND TUFFNEZZZ"

Duh.
Its not only easy to critique a prospects game, but also a vets.

And their contracts as well. There are worse contracts on our team but its too easy to go after the shiny new one, I know.

I figured you wouldn't bother pointing out their weaknesses of the others since it would make that contract of .55 look much better.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:31 PM
bonzaibondra12

I can see one massive hole.... 3 giveaways in just 2 games. That will bite him soon.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:34 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Giveaways are always a problem for young and new dmen. When they are not and are bringing offense over a large sample size, think Norris. Carlson was among the league leaders in TO last year IIRC.

I always excuse dzone mistakes when that same D man has a hand in creating goals - net positive or equal. He will be hard pressed to keep up the points but if he is a good fit for Oatesies system they will come. He has gotten high praise from Oates so its not a stretch to think he fits well. His numbers in Hershey dont support points but we don't know what he was asked to go there, nor is being asked to do here.

Over under GP when he comes back to earth: 7.5. 10 seems a common adrenaline run.

If he keeps hitting, I will stick to the over. Maybe Orlov pushes him out before that.

No one knew Lou Franceschetti would eek out a job, and literally all he did was hit to earn a spot.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-09-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old
03-09-2013, 10:43 AM
LetsGoBears

Little side track here, but i was doubling checking some GvA numbers of the Norris considered players last year, so how the **** did Karlsson win with 84 in 82 games? We're talking about double the GvA then the other guys. He needed to put up the numbers he did to offset the GvA. *rant off*

2 in 3 isn't good, but these are his first ever NHL games. Lets see what happens when he has adjusted to and become more comfortable with the speed of the game.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

The giveaway "stat" is a complete joke.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:09 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
I can see one massive hole.... 3 giveaways in just 2 games. That will bite him soon.
Neil Greenberg, izzat you?

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:54 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
Neil Greenberg, izzat you?
No, I'm sure, Neil hates real-time stats

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:28 PM
leova

Oleksy continues to impress me, he's been a very solid player in all games, with an "oh wow" moment in each (that i've seen)

real happy with the Caps young D core!

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:30 PM
bonzaibondra12

He makes some poor decisions with the puck, but at this point looks like he brings everything that Kundratek does yet adds physicality to the mix (not as good a skater though).

When Orlov is back, I'd look to deal Kundratek and use Oleksy for RD depth.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:34 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

This guy probably ***** four-leaf clovers. It's a shame the Caps have no games left @ Jersey Steve-O would make a killing in AC.

Just to be clear, I think he's played solid, but man has he had some puck luck to get himself points.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Millhaus

Rudy!, Rudy!, Rudy!, Rudy...!!!!

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:43 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Rudy!, Rudy!, Rudy!, Rudy...!!!!
I don't really know what it means, but sounds really close to the Kaiser Chiefs' song

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I don't really know what it means, but sounds really close to the Kaiser Chiefs' song
No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=030JFzvHcb8[

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:59 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
He makes some poor decisions with the puck, but at this point looks like he brings everything that Kundratek does yet adds physicality to the mix (not as good a skater though).

When Orlov is back, I'd look to deal Kundratek and use Oleksy for RD depth.
IMO Kundratek has been better. He's a much better skater, has better vision/awareness, and has looked as good as Oleksy with harder minutes against tougher competition.

IMO if there's a RD to move, it's Mike Green.