HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

How do you fix it?

Old
03-10-2013, 04:21 PM

vCash: 500
How do you fix it?

Simple enough premise. I've written off this season and i'm thinking ahead to the summer, what do you do? There's few decent D available and even fewer G.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Simple enough premise. I've written off this season and i'm thinking ahead to the summer, what do you do? There's few decent D available and even fewer G.
Well, whatever you do, you don't let this Flyers bus go slower than 50 mph. I don't even watch movies

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:27 PM
FlyersFan61290

get a new coach, one that will implement a system that best suits the players available. amnesty/trade briere for whatever you can. draft D with our 1st. sign a real 4th line center that can win some face offs as well as a competent back-up like montoya and give Streit a look short term. re-sign Gus and Gagne then wait.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:34 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
get a new coach, one that will implement a system that best suits the players available. amnesty/trade briere for whatever you can. draft D with our 1st. sign a real 4th line center that can win some face offs as well as a competent back-up like montoya and give Streit a look short term. re-sign Gus and Gagne then wait.
I like this plan.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:57 PM
lancer247

If you look at the young guys on the team they have all gotten better but just make bad decisions with the puck that they should learn from this season.

I believe there will be some good but expensive dmen that may be available through amnesty in the off season.

Maybe make a deal from strength like Coots for a young #1 dman type deal.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:00 PM
CyborgLindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
If you look at the young guys on the team they have all gotten better but just make bad decisions with the puck that they should learn from this season.

I believe there will be some good but expensive dmen that may be available through amnesty in the off season.

Maybe make a deal from strength like Coots for a young #1 dman type deal.
I wouldn't trade Coots. I like the idea but not for Coots. He's the best defensive forward (potentially) we have so really your removing defense to add defense. Plus a young #1 dman will take more than Coots. They just simply aren't available unless you overwhelm a team for one.

CyborgLindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:08 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Fire GM. Fire Coach.

Trade Timonen for picks. Trade Briere if he will waive the NMC, but that is unlikely.

Only resign the RFAs, let all UFA walk.

Target some D in offseason, but NOT the top end. Thinking UFA like Whitney or Hainsey.

Offer sheet Ryan McDonagh if the Rangers are dumb enough to let him get there.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Haute Couturier

1) Ed Snider stops meddling

2) Replace the entire front office. Brian Burke and former Flyers are not welcome.

3) Can Laviolette. Again no former Flyers as replacements.

4) Trade Briere and Timonen if possible

5) Trade veteran spare parts if possible (Knuble, Gagne, Fedetenko, Gervais, Lilja)

6) Start rebuilding the farm with real prospects and quality
AHL veterans. Stop wasting contracts on junk with low potential.

7) There should be a shift in focus in making the Phantoms competitive and it should be the main stop to develop Flyers prospects.

8)Amnesty Bryz in the offseason. Find a league average goalie on the cheap.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
1. Find an identity. -the style that you will play to win games
2. Aquire a coach to coach that style
3. Acquire players to play that style
4. Don't change identities for atleast 10 years.

Bam .

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:19 PM
volpster31

did anyone think this was a team going deep in the playoffs????the young players are playing and a few insignifigant veterans were added...this team is being built over the next few years,not now....im not a huge laviolette fan and i didnt like giving timonen an extra year,but you have to know homer WILL do something big in the offseason....

volpster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Fire Holmgren and hire Hextall, fire laviolette and hire ???.

Trade Briere before the deadline otherwise amnesty buyout, amnesty buyout Bryzgalov (those two alone will free up 12 million in cap). Trade Meszaros for hopefully a 2nd or ???.

Let Knuble, Fedotenko, Shelley, Lilja, Walker, Foster, Boucher, Leighton walk since I imagine none of them have any sort of trade value.

Try to resign Gagne at a friendly deal with no more then 3 million cap hit.

Trade for Bernier, Hextall should be able to work out a decent deal as he is coming from the LA organization. Sign a veteran backup, maybe Theodore.

Draft Zadorov. Sign Ryan Whitney. Make a pitch for Perry. Maybe throw an offersheet at one of the STL defenseman, they have like 4 that are RFAs this offseason.

????

Profit.

Rip me apart, I'm normally really bad at this sort of thing.

FORWARDS
Corey Perry ($8.500m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Ryan Whitney ($3.000m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.851m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
Chris Pronger ($4.936m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($3.000m)
Jose Theodore ($1.000m)

OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,553,786

Still have plenty of cap space, 1.5 million with Pronger still on active roster. Could have even more if Laughton is NHL ready, move Talbot to Gagne's spot and Laughton at the 4th C.

Last edited by Philadelphia Ducks: 03-10-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:27 PM
FlyersFan61290

perry makes much much more then 5+ per

Bernier will be an RFA so he'll get more too. also why does everyone thing that Bernier will be any better than bryz? he really hasn't done that well in LA and we all know they play a defense first game.

also how exactly do the flyers get bernier without trading any roster players?

Old
03-10-2013, 05:29 PM

I don't think Gagne will cost anything like $3m, surely?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
perry makes much much more then 5+ per

Bernier will be an RFA so he'll get more too. also why does everyone thing that Bernier will be any better than bryz? he really hasn't done that well in LA and we all know they play a defense first game.

also how exactly do the flyers get bernier without trading any roster players?
Yea, I forgot to change the Perry salary, it should be fixed now at 8.5. I imagine Bernier will not want to resign in LA as he should be NHL ready, could send over Meszaros and some picks, I really am bad at gauging what players are worth in trades. That might get it done. And Bernier is playing extremely well this year.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I don't think Gagne will cost anything like $3m, surely?
Hopefully less. It's time for him to accept that he's not a top 6 forward anymore.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:32 PM
CyborgLindros

I hate how fans are banking on getting Perry. It doesn't leave much room to resign G, Schenn, Couts the next season, since Perry obviously gets a multi year deal.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
I'm terrible at these as well. However, I hate how fans are banking on getting Perry. It doesn't leave much room to resign G, Schenn, Couts the next season, since Perry obviously gets a multi year deal.
Well, I figure Timonen will be off the book nextyear so that's another 6 million to help with Giroux's raise. Schenn and Couts won't be getting that much of a raise after their EL is done. Also if Perry isn't an option there are plenty of other cheaper forwards we could try for. Nathan Horton comes to mind. Clarke MacArthur could be a decent second/third liner.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:34 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
Yea, I forgot to change the Perry salary, it should be fixed now at 8.5. I imagine Bernier will not want to resign in LA as he should be NHL ready, could send over Meszaros and some picks, I really am bad at gauging what players are worth in trades. That might get it done. And Bernier is playing extremely well this year.
those numbers are better but the problem at that point is the following year the flyers will need to re-sign G, B. Schenn, Couturier and Read as well as fill the void left by Kimmo. So it's cutting it pretty close.

edit: doing some math with rough estimations i don't see how we could fill the spot left by kimmo unless we have a good d prospect on a elc by then.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:40 PM
CyborgLindros

Quote:
Well, I figure Timonen will be off the book nextyear so that's another 6 million to help with Giroux's raise. Schenn and Couts won't be getting that much of a raise after their EL is done. Also if Perry isn't an option there are plenty of other cheaper forwards we could try for. Nathan Horton comes to mind. Clarke MacArthur could be a decent second/third liner.
As is being stated other voids need to be filled along with Giroux's raise. I like the backups but I'd like to see money saved to sign a top line winger for Giroux. I know some fans want Bobby Ryan. I'd love that kind of player we need a big powerforward. Hartsy is good but he doesn't have as good a skill set.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
As is being stated other voids need to be filled along with Giroux's raise. I like the backups but I'd like to see money saved to sign a top line winger for Giroux. I know some fans want Bobby Ryan. I'd love that kind of player we need a big powerforward. Hartsy is good but he doesn't have as good a skill set.
I'd love Bobby Ryan too, but with the chance of Perry leaving in the offseason I can't really see them willing to move Ryan, I'd think the best chance for Ryan to be moved would be if Anaheim could resign Perry and they had to move him to clear for their internal cap.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:43 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
1. Find an identity. -the style that you will play to win games
2. Aquire a coach to coach that style
3. Acquire players to play that style
4. Don't change identities for atleast 10 years.

Bam .
There you go.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
those numbers are better but the problem at that point is the following year the flyers will need to re-sign G, B. Schenn, Couturier and Read as well as fill the void left by Kimmo. So it's cutting it pretty close.

edit: doing some math with rough estimations i don't see how we could fill the spot left by kimmo unless we have a good d prospect on a elc by then.
Zadorov if we got him might be ready then. Bourdon or Manning might be ready for a full time NHL job by then, who knows.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:44 PM
RoDu

Wait till the offseason to even start

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:51 PM
CyborgLindros

Quote:
I'd love Bobby Ryan too, but with the chance of Perry leaving in the offseason I can't really see them willing to move Ryan, I'd think the best chance for Ryan to be moved would be if Anaheim could resign Perry and they had to move him to clear for their internal cap.
In 2 years Ryan is a UFA. He's stated he wants to play in Philly and Anaheim has had him on the block multiple times. I could see him going into free agency with Philly as his #1 choice. If we have the cap it could be a good deal on both sides. Waiting the extra season also gives us time to see what Jakub, Simmonds will be and if we even need him.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:24 PM
hockeyfreak7

This team is infinitely better if there is a game breaking talent on the blue line. We currently have no one like that, and the way our team is built, we need someone like that to keep us from running around and losing our composure after giving up goals.

It goes beyond needing a simple puck moving defender. I'm not content with a Ryan Whitney or a Matt Carle type to be our solution. Will they help our transition game? Sure. But our problem doesn't stop there. We need a bona fide #1 guy who can dictate the flow of the game like a Weber, Pietrangelo, Karlsson or even a Subban, Edler, Yandle. Guys like that aren't plentiful, so they're obviously impossible to land at discount price.

So what's the solution? Either find a new coach who can employ a system where the result on defense is greater than the sum of its parts or dangle one of our blue chip guys to see who could be had. I'm okay with either option at this point. I love Couturier, and I think he's going to develop into an excellent two way forward in the coming years, but he is a very valuable piece. I'd be open to seeing what he can fetch on the trade market.

If Couturier could land us a guy like Yandle or Carlson, then I think we need to stop and think about it. Our forward core is great, and our D core is lacking that keystone piece that can tie everything together. If the right deal were to materialize, I'd strongly consider pulling the trigger.

I'd kick the tires on Carlson and see if we could get Holtby or Neuvirth along with him. Maybe Couturier+a pick for Carlson+Holtby would be something for both sides to consider. Couturier seems like a piece that the Caps should be very interested in. Then trade Briere for some third line energy. I could see Briere for Eller being an interesting deal at the deadline.

Voracek-Giroux-Read
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Eller-Gagne
Rinaldo-Fedotenko-McGinn

Carlson-Grossmann
Timonen-Coburn
Schenn-Meszaros

Holtby/Neuvirth
Bryzgalov

Maybe I'm out to lunch, but I don't think that would be too crazy. I'm also against going after Perry. No reason to pursue that, but I guess if we have room to go after him when Briere's gone, then it wouldn't be too bad to give him a nice offer.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote