HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Half-season assessment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2013, 12:15 AM
  #51
Giacomin
Registered User
 
Giacomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,274
vCash: 500
Nash has to start scoring some 3rd period goals. He killed the Rangers last night by not scoring a goal in the 3rd!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:06 AM
  #52
PromNite
Know Your Enemy
 
PromNite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,483
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
We'll be lucky to make the playoffs IMO.

__________________
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:09 AM
  #53
PlamsUnlimited
Coming Home
 
PlamsUnlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,614
vCash: 500
6. We aren't excelling but we don't flat out suck.

PlamsUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:45 AM
  #54
Machinehead
Somebody Sign Jagr
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Germany
Posts: 69,230
vCash: 500
Ratings on a scale from 1-10, based on expectations and what we've actually gotten:

Asham: 4
Bickel: 7 (he does what he's supposed to do, it's not his fault he's put in a position to fail)
Biron: 5
Boyle: 2
Callahan: 7.5
Del Zotto: Don't get me started
Eminger: 7.5
Gaborik: 3.5
Gilroy: 8
Girardi: 4.5
Hagelin: 8.5
Halpern: 7.5
Kreider: 1
Lundqvist: 6
McDonagh: 8
Miller: 6.5
Nash: 10
Powe: 9
Pyatt: 7
Richards: 2.5
Staal: 9.5
Stepan: 9
Stralman: 8

__________________
Teams that should sign Jagr
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:00 AM
  #55
McDunna with Fries
Registered User
 
McDunna with Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Ratings on a scale from 1-10, based on expectations and what we've actually gotten:

Asham: 4
Bickel: 7 (he does what he's supposed to do, it's not his fault he's put in a position to fail)
Biron: 5
Boyle: 2
Callahan: 7.5
Del Zotto: Don't get me started
Eminger: 7.5
Gaborik: 3.5
Gilroy: 8
Girardi: 4.5
Hagelin: 8.5
Halpern: 7.5
Kreider: 1
Lundqvist: 6
McDonagh: 8
Miller: 6.5
Nash: 10
Powe: 9
Pyatt: 7
Richards: 2.5
Staal: 9.5
Stepan: 9
Stralman: 8
This is pretty damn good. I can argue numbers for some players, but I don't think any logical person can flat out disagree with any of your assessments.

I think Miller is higher than a 6.5, though. I know this board is really polarized when it comes to MDZ, but I always thought this board had unreasonable expectations for him.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:25 AM
  #56
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Fantastic, well thought out post Chimp. Alot of effort.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:35 AM
  #57
ajdj10
Registered User
 
ajdj10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Australia
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
When we suck we suck from head to toe.

ajdj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:08 AM
  #58
NYR1967
Registered User
 
NYR1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nashville, TN.
Country: United States
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
I still think the biggest problem with this team is conditioning - or lack thereof. We saw it against Philly earlier in the season and we saw it against Ottawa the other night. Completely out of gas in the 2nd of back to back games, and a big reason why we have given up leads (Boston, NYI) in the 3rd.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:57 AM
  #59
Dorado*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn ,USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
I still think the biggest problem with this team is conditioning - or lack thereof. We saw it against Philly earlier in the season and we saw it against Ottawa the other night. Completely out of gas in the 2nd of back to back games, and a big reason why we have given up leads (Boston, NYI) in the 3rd.
Part of conditioning problem is that the bottom 6 and bottom pairing on D are not trusted . It also hurts we
Have been playing from behind a lot ( we've given up th first goal more than 50% I believe ) . When we play from behind Torts shortens the bench ... Vicious cycle . In short lack of depth . Top 6 is OK , especially if Gaborik and Richards play as they are paid . Nash as been worth every dollar . Callahan seems to have rebounded from his shoulder . We have two fourth lines that can't even get the odd goal right now . I've liked Millers play it's energetic , hard on the puck and showing signs of creativity in a straight up n down way but he lacks finish at this point .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:09 PM
  #60
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 26,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Overly negative. This team is trending in the right direction. They don't need to be firing on all cylinders right now. They need to steadily improve as the season goes on. And right now, I believe they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
If I can say one positive thing about Chimp's assessment, it's that the legend of Dan Girard has long since out grown the reality of Dan Girardi.

Dan Girardi is not, nor has he ever been the best defenseman on this team. Dan Girardi IS awful at breakout passes. Girardi is a really solid defender, and yes, he blocks a lot of shots and is a tough warrior, but he is also a poor offensive player.

This team really misses Michael Sauer, who brings all of the defensive positives that Girardi does, with the added bonus of being a terrific breakout passer and a better decision maker with the puck, especially when carrying the puck in his own zone.

Passing has brought this team's offense down for years; it was the big issue last year, and it has been the big issue this year. A big part of that is the passing from the defense, too.

Excellent points all around.

Sauer, yet another sad fate in whats been way too many sad outcomes with our draft picks the last 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Lundqvist: 6
Ridiculous MH.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:25 PM
  #61
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,797
vCash: 500
Asham: D+ The Plus goes for not being a liability, but I don't think he fits, gave two good games all season, and get the feeling he is not a fit.

Bickel: C- Better used as a winger than a D. Bad penalties, the inability to throw a hit, and the fact that he has been exposed after his first 30 games in the NHL, Bicks does not inspire confidence out there.


Biron: B+ Holds down the fort and wins games, will be a big part of the team making the playoffs if he can play to his current level.

Boyle: D+ Being kind here because he has value and can play during critical game times, but get the puck in deep, or to the net out there.

Callahan: A- Took about 6-7 games to get back to himself. Just goes about business the right way.

Del Zotto: B Early season offensive pizzaz fizzled, but if DZ can make it sizzle out there with more consistency, ie. on the power play, he easily makes the team that much more dangerous.

Eminger: B Good in limited role, like the way he has played. Stepped up when he's had to.
Gaborik: C+ Starting to pick it up on the left side, but really ineffective during several losses when more was needed out of him

Gilroy: B+ Had one bad game, and it was in MTL when he had to step up and fill minutes. Needs to be matched up, but has done a good job before playing his final shift early in the third period.

Girardi: A Rock Solid.

Hagelin: B+ Slow start, but has really exceeded expectations.

Halpern: B- Thought he was soft early on, but has found a nice role, and does his job well.

Kreider: D- Doesn't get an F for showing a glimmer of life, but after following him during the lockout, this was to be expected... seems to be picking it up lately however.

Lundqvist: B Early season rust is off, but Henke looking back to his old self.

McDonagh: B+ Had a few inexplicably bad periods, but otherwise is a work horse on the back end.

Miller: B Adds to the team, and helps in a winning cause. Will only get better.

Nash: A+ The hype is to be believed.

Powe: A He is a huge piece of the team with what he can provide, solidified the PK.

Pyatt: B- Coming down to earth a little, but fits.

Richards: C+ No show for the first 12-15 games on a lot of shifts, but is getting it together.

Staal: A Another thoroughbred on the back end.

Stepan: A Has been stepping up all season long.

Stralman: B- Played very well, need another one like him on the backend to round things out, maybe Hamr fills the role.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:59 PM
  #62
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,904
vCash: 500
The only team I really fear are the Pens, if we can avoid them in the playoffs, then I like our chances of going to the cup finals.

The team started off the season slow, but picked it up.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:03 PM
  #63
NYRKING30
Registered User
 
NYRKING30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,104
vCash: 500
We are coming. The team is finally beginning to come along, consistency is getting there as a whole. Even though we lost in Ottawa we played pretty good and well enough for a win. Not like the first 10 games of the season. We need Marc back though. Lets keep racking up the points.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:04 PM
  #64
PlamsUnlimited
Coming Home
 
PlamsUnlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,614
vCash: 500
When he comes back stuff will look better too. Like a strengthener.

PlamsUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:46 PM
  #65
Giacomin
Registered User
 
Giacomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,274
vCash: 500
The Devils came out off the East as a 6th seed and the Kings as an 8th seed last year. That might have been an abberation but the key is to just get into the playoffs as we all know!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:10 PM
  #66
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Asham: D+ The Plus goes for not being a liability, but I don't think he fits, gave two good games all season, and get the feeling he is not a fit.

Bickel: C- Better used as a winger than a D. Bad penalties, the inability to throw a hit, and the fact that he has been exposed after his first 30 games in the NHL, Bicks does not inspire confidence out there.


Biron: B+ Holds down the fort and wins games, will be a big part of the team making the playoffs if he can play to his current level.

Boyle: D+ Being kind here because he has value and can play during critical game times, but get the puck in deep, or to the net out there.

Callahan: A- Took about 6-7 games to get back to himself. Just goes about business the right way.

Del Zotto: B Early season offensive pizzaz fizzled, but if DZ can make it sizzle out there with more consistency, ie. on the power play, he easily makes the team that much more dangerous.

Eminger: B Good in limited role, like the way he has played. Stepped up when he's had to.
Gaborik: C+ Starting to pick it up on the left side, but really ineffective during several losses when more was needed out of him

Gilroy: B+ Had one bad game, and it was in MTL when he had to step up and fill minutes. Needs to be matched up, but has done a good job before playing his final shift early in the third period.

Girardi: A Rock Solid.

Hagelin: B+ Slow start, but has really exceeded expectations.

Halpern: B- Thought he was soft early on, but has found a nice role, and does his job well.

Kreider: D- Doesn't get an F for showing a glimmer of life, but after following him during the lockout, this was to be expected... seems to be picking it up lately however.

Lundqvist: B Early season rust is off, but Henke looking back to his old self.

McDonagh: B+ Had a few inexplicably bad periods, but otherwise is a work horse on the back end.

Miller: B Adds to the team, and helps in a winning cause. Will only get better.

Nash: A+ The hype is to be believed.

Powe: A He is a huge piece of the team with what he can provide, solidified the PK.

Pyatt: B- Coming down to earth a little, but fits.

Richards: C+ No show for the first 12-15 games on a lot of shifts, but is getting it together.

Staal: A Another thoroughbred on the back end.

Stepan: A Has been stepping up all season long.

Stralman: B- Played very well, need another one like him on the backend to round things out, maybe Hamr fills the role.
this is more realistic ratings on how the players are excelling.. I believe they all have room to grow and get better but i think this is an accurate assessment... time will tell in june ?

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:23 PM
  #67
Overcast
Registered User
 
Overcast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
I don't disagree with much of this. Girardi has not been very good. He has been making lots of dumb decisions. McD was playing better last year. DZ has below average hockey IQ. Richards was terribad.

However, Stepan has been a lot better than you're giving him credit for. He's been our #1 center.

Overall, there just has not been much consistency. Staal on defense and Nash up front are the only players that have been consistently good. That needs to change.
Story of his career, but people give him a pass for reasons that escape my comprehension (usually because he's paired with good defensemen in Staal and McDonagh). I understand he's a decent defenseman, but "decent" is the absolute highest honor I would give him. However with the puck, he's an absolute abomination. He can block shots, hit/use his body occasionally, and his positioning is alright, but I wish he had slightly more limited ice time because whenever he gets near the puck I immediately bury my face in my hands to prepare for the awful play that inevitably follows. Being a minute-eater does not equate to being a #2 defenseman.

Overcast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:19 PM
  #68
McSauer
Defense Wins Games
 
McSauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
The only team I really fear are the Pens, if we can avoid them in the playoffs, then I like our chances of going to the cup finals.
Uhh, Montreal?!

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:34 PM
  #69
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post
Uhh, Montreal?!
Forgot about them

Still, the Pens>>>>Habs

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:01 PM
  #70
McDunna with Fries
Registered User
 
McDunna with Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Forgot about them

Still, the Pens>>>>Habs
I wouldn't want to face the Bruins either.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:53 PM
  #71
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 19,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
The only team I really fear are the Pens, if we can avoid them in the playoffs, then I like our chances of going to the cup finals.

The team started off the season slow, but picked it up.
Penguins, Canadiens, Senators.

Each of those teams basically own the Rangers. It's so old now it's almost engraved in stone tablets.
NYR won fair and square against Ottawa in the first round last year, but it was touch and go.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:53 AM
  #72
Vickers8
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Asham: D+
Bickel: D-
Biron: B+
Boyle: D+
Callahan: A+
Del Zotto: C-
Eminger: C
Gaborik: C-
Gilroy: B
Girardi: A+
Hagelin: A-
Halpern: B-
Kreider: D-
Lundqvist: B+
McDonagh: A+
Nash: A+
Powe: B+
Pyatt: A-
Richards: C+
Stepan: B+
Stralman: B

Player evaluation based on roles, output and expectations

  Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:18 PM
  #73
Richter Scale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Now that we're actually at the half way point, I'll give my thoughts:

Considering the shortened season, lack of training camp, the perennial slow start, that we lost some big heart and soul guys (not saying the Nash trade was a bad move, it just clearly impacted chemistry early on), and that we had 6-7 new roster players - depending upon who plays each night - learning a new system, I think the Rangers are in a pretty good place and am optimistic for the rest of the season.

Despite a lot of injuries and inconsistent play from pretty important pieces, we're in a good spot. Once this team gets everyone healthy and if everyone ever gets clicking at the same time, I'm pretty confident that they can beat any team in the league in a 7 game series. Even without those things happening thus far, we are positioned to jump over a few teams for 5th place over the next week if the Rangers we've been seeing lately continue to show up to play.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't see Montreal (or Boston) cooling off anytime soon; so I don't see us breaking into 4th place. I would expect to be a 5th place playoff team unless we are able to overcome Pittsburgh in our division. And even though they have 2 games in hand on us, the only way I see that happening is if we are able to actually win 2 of the 3 remaining games we have against them. If not, absent Pittsburgh seriously faltering or the Rangers turning it up to 11, there just aren't enough games left in the season to make up the difference. The next five games, and the home and home with Pittsburgh (followed by a Carolina game) in early April will determine whether this team is a 5th/6th seed or a top 3 seed.

--

The one thing that just absolutely kills me is looking back at the last 24 games and considering how many more points we should have right now. Ignoring the first 4 games - because apparently this team just can't start a season off on the right foot; we should have 7 more points right now (which would have put us 1 pt behind Pitt with 2 games in hand):

- The week from hell where we blow big leads on both Boston and NYI. No excuse for the lazy play we showed in these games after going up big. I called it when we did it two games in a row -- even though we eeked out one point in each of those games, in a shortened season losing the extra pt to NYI and giving BOS an undeserved point could come back to bite us in the ass: +1 pts.

- I know that this team just forgets how to play against Montreal, but how they played during those two games was just pathetic and even despite the poor play the games were largely still within reach and we should have been able to pull out at least one of those games: +2 pts.

- Winnipeg loss was uninspired pretty much all around. ****ing fail. +2 pts.

- Ottawa has been playing well and hard - I'll give them credit, but with their injuries there is no reason we should have lost that game on Friday. Just a painful game to watch. +2 pts.

Even if you just assume we win one of the MTL, WPG, OTT games and don't monumentally choke in the BOS/NYI games, that still would have put us in a drastically different position. On the one hand, tough pill to swallow. On the other, I think that with what the team has dealt with, it bodes well for the second half.


Last edited by Richter Scale: 03-11-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Richter Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:14 AM
  #74
Bleed Blue 24 7
Ranger's Mascot
 
Bleed Blue 24 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Wow your list is terrible, expectations rated wrong performance rated wrong and overall rated wrong. I appreciate the list though great idea but not even close to accurate

Bleed Blue 24 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:18 AM
  #75
theJUMPER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Half Season Grades

Yeah I saw that assessment thread but it was tl;dr for me.

Let's get down to the nitty gritty.

Take expectations into your grading process:

A-: Rick Nash
B+: Carl Hagelin
B: Derek Stepan, McD, Callahan, Gaborik, Lundqvist, Staal, Pyatt
B-: Girardi, MDZ, Stralman, JT Miller, Biron
C+: Richards
C: Bickel, Eminger
C-:Gilroy, Powe, Asham
D: Boyle
F: Krieder, Halpern,

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.