HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Sim City

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 12:09 PM
D Fresh
Certified Dope

vCash: 50
This game is so fun..
My god.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:17 PM
UKPanther
@GJenSports

vCash: 500
I can't deny that as annoyed as I am about the problems, the game itself is a blast. Not mind-blowing, but loads of fun in the traditional Sim City style.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:42 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 1726
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPanther View Post
I can't deny that as annoyed as I am about the problems, the game itself is a blast. Not mind-blowing, but loads of fun in the traditional Sim City style.
Yep, nothing revolutionary, not even necessarily better than Sim City 4 IMO, but different enough to warrant playing and just plain fun. I'm beginning to realize I like city simulation games enough that they could have released almost anything and I'd enjoy it. Hypothetically, if Sim City 4 was released now (and not before), it'd still be a great game.

The bad launch, as annoying as it is for those who it affected, probably isn't a big deal in the long run. The expectations for the game have been lowered to the point now that people who played it will defend it and people who haven't will be pleasantly surprised. Being over-hyped at launch as a billion times better than SC4 would have been more destructive for this game IMO.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:34 PM
jimmythescot

Just bought the Indian version. I can handle the teething (hopefully) problems if it only costs 18.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Got my city called Samsung to 230k. My two other cities in the region (Toshiba and Sony) are in the 50-70k range.

I am really enjoying this game so far. Especially now that i have started to get a handle on all the details.

Expo centre is a sick way to make some money.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fresh View Post
HAH!

They do speak gibberish.
Yeah, they peak simlish, same as The Sims games and such.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:00 PM
D Fresh
Certified Dope

Still waiting to find out if there's any space left in HFLand

Old
03-10-2013, 04:33 PM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fresh View Post
Still waiting to find out if there's any space left in HFLand
Plenty of space left. NA1. I'm not sure if I can invite you. Even if I could, server is down ATM.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

Trading is irritating for me.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Only having 1 road to connect to the outside world is a bit annoying. I have a line of cars on the highway coming in and leaving so I can't sell stuff and they're clogging up my streets.

I mean REALLY? You need lots of connecting roads to stop congestion - but if you want tier 3 buildings, you need large roads/avenues. What do those do? They give you traffic lights.

What do traffic lights do? Slow down traffic.

And then on top of that the traffic jam is happening/starting outside my city so I have no idea what the heck is going on.

Last edited by Tubby Tuke: 03-10-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

I want to try this out, but I don't know about the specs. By looking at the specs online it appears I'm more than good enough, but when I try the scan on "Can I Run It" it says I can't. Should I be okay?

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5)
Shared Memory: 1632 MB

I know the graphics card sucks, but I don't care if I run on low to mid. Everything else seems good enough, no?

Old
03-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Trust me. You don't want to try it out yet.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Trust me. You don't want to try it out yet.
Yeah, if I got it I'd wait a few weeks to get the issues sorted out.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
Only having 1 road to connect to the outside world is a bit annoying. I have a line of cars on the highway coming in and leaving so I can't sell stuff and they're clogging up my streets.

I mean REALLY? You need lots of connecting roads to stop congestion - but if you want tier 3 buildings, you need large roads/avenues. What do those do? They give you traffic lights.

What do traffic lights do? Slow down traffic.

And then on top of that the traffic jam is happening/starting outside my city so I have no idea what the heck is going on.
Yep. My current issue as well since its hurting my trade income.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:44 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Region i'm working on with a friend from work. My emerging mining/industrial center in the foreground with my big education/tourism center in the background

Old
03-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHerb View Post
Yep. My current issue as well since its hurting my trade income.
I figured it out. I had abandoned an area earlier and apparently all my crap was still there. I went and destroyed it now my outgoing flow is fine.

So if you have a neighbor with a terrible setup who doesn't let in a lot of traffic - you're going to get SCREWED as hard as him/her if not harder.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:45 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Tip on managing traffic: use medium density roads and connect to high density backbones. Medium density roads only leave stop signs where they merge and they will yield to traffic on the high density roads. This works great for high density avenues and funneling traffic

Old
03-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
I figured it out. I had abandoned an area earlier and apparently all my crap was still there. I went and destroyed it now my outgoing flow is fine.

So if you have a neighbor with a terrible setup who doesn't let in a lot of traffic - you're going to get SCREWED as hard as him/her if not harder.
That's actually pretty realistic.

The greatest infrastructure setup in one county (in the real world) can get wrecked by a work zone or bad signal timing in the neighboring county. These things are solved by regional cooperation.

03-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Going to wait a week or two before buying but it looks good.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Tip on managing traffic: use medium density roads and connect to high density backbones. Medium density roads only leave stop signs where they merge and they will yield to traffic on the high density roads. This works great for high density avenues and funneling traffic
Can you go into sandbox mode and explain this? I've tried all manner of configurations, and can't get my traffic to settle. On one of my cities, the highway exit is backed up off the screen 24/7. It's really starting to hurt my services, because the trucks can't get through. That's with tremendous ridership on a well designed streetcar system.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:36 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Can you go into sandbox mode and explain this? I've tried all manner of configurations, and can't get my traffic to settle. On one of my cities, the highway exit is backed up off the screen 24/7. It's really starting to hurt my services, because the trucks can't get through. That's with tremendous ridership on a well designed streetcar system.
Make sure you've got an avenue coming off of the main street, I usually start with a large square (at the beginning I use medium density avenue, it's cheaper and high density isn't necessary until way later), with an intersecting grid of medium density streets (again, high density is not necessary this early and is almost always the cause of gridlock, i'll explain more). Building a "backbone" like this also gives you the flexibility of later building an effective street car service without having to demolish stuff once you need it

[Red is avenues, blue is roads)

Using medium density roads, you are left with stop signs on the sides of the intersections for the roads, but not for the avenues. The roads will yield to the avenues in this case

When you use a high density toad to intersect another road OR avenue, it creates a stoplight, forcing traffic on all sides to yield to each other. If you build in a grid pattern like me, having stoplight after stoplight after stoplight every 100ft results in gridlock (and rightfully so, ever tried to drive in downtown NYC or another major grid city in rush hour? it's a nightmare)

By using the medium traffic streets to intersect the avenues, you let traffic run along the avenues unimpeded. The AI will usually default to the highest density street, so by being picky of what streets you make high density, you can funnel traffic in certain directions with crafty planning.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:43 PM
XX
... Waiting

That's great and all, but won't it be hard to reach high density with so many medium roads? I feel like the option of a stop sign, one way flow or a stop light should be user controlled, not predefined. If they patched in limiting or designating directional flow, I think it would fix a lot of problems. New York works because there are a lot of one way roads, so this is not a revolutionary idea.

I didn't notice the stop sign/avenue interface, so I'll try that now.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:49 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Absolutely agree on the one-way point, I really wish I could set one-way streets as well.

By the time you get to the point of needing high density streets, you should have a pretty good public transport system set up. I also try to avoid zoning buildings on the intersection right off of the highway, as they tend to catch fire. If you can, try putting utility or service buildings on those corners (I like to zone a wind farm right off the entrance, leaves a good gap for people to exit the highway and it tends to not catch fire). I have found that the service/utility vehicles are the #2 cause for traffic backups, aside from people using high density streets everywhere without public transport set up.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:56 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

I wonder if this game will have a super optimized layout like in Sim City 3000.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

So switching to a new server doesn't carry over your city, does it?

Closed Thread