HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS 2013 University Cup

Old
03-10-2013, 08:56 AM
cishockeyfan

vCash: 500
University Cup Predictions for me

Thursday
*Alberta over Waterloo 5-0
*UNB Defeats Saskatchewan 7-2

Friday
*St Mary's over waterloo 4-1
*UQTR defeats Saskatchewan 5-4

Saturday
*St Mary's over Alberta 4-2
*UNB over UQTR 6-3

Sunday University Cup
*UNB over St Mary's 3-2 / ot

Sorry everyone but I believe this is the year of the AUS, Last year was the first year since 2005-06 an AUS team was not in the final, not going to happen this year

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:56 AM
AUS Fan

I could be wrong, but it's probably cheaper to have the Cup shipped to UNB than to have all those teams travel and spend money. Let's do that and save money....

You may be a bit ambitous on the UNB-UofS score, but it is an overall possible scenario.

We'll have to revisit this post after Thursday's games and see how it fits.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:11 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

No way UNB beats Saskatchewan like that....it will be a two goal game at most IMO.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Nick Murray

Rankings are scheduled to be released by early afternoon (eastern time).

By the way, anybody know how many appearances UNB has made in the University Cup? Can't seem to find it on RedSea.

Nick Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:57 PM
RED ARMY EAST

U Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
I could be wrong, but it's probably cheaper to have the Cup shipped to UNB than to have all those teams travel and spend money. Let's do that and save money....

You may be a bit ambitous on the UNB-UofS score, but it is an overall possible scenario.

We'll have to revisit this post after Thursday's games and see how it fits.
I would agree with AUS, UNB will have their hands full with a charged up Huskie crowd of over 10,000.
This will likely be a close game. An upset in the making??
They handed Alberta 2 losses in the first half, I think that one of those games were in Credit Union Center. The Huskies played a series of games in that building in preperation for this event.
UQTR will also be a challenge, they have defeated some good OUA competition to win the Queens cup.

Alberta may be favourites to win the other pool, but we on this part of the country know that SMU is going to provide a very stiff challenge to the Bears. Their defensive zone coverage is second to none.
Remember, no Bloodoff in the deciding game of the AUS finals. The big power forward has been the most dangerous player in the AUS this season. SMU is also very physical and like to finish their checks on skilled opponents, on the offensive and defensive zones. They are used to being pushed by UNB, so dealing with a high octane forecheck is something that these Dogs have grown accustomed to.
I think Alberta and SMU have their way with Waterloo.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:28 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
No way UNB beats Saskatchewan like that....it will be a two goal game at most IMO.
My thoughts on the UNB - Saskatchewan Game is

To play with and Compete with UNB, you have to be willing to play a team game an unselfish game, a trap game, lots of hitting. Saskatchewan from what I have heard and watched on webcast is a smaller skilled team that does not bold well for them, if they just simply try and out skill UNB. Much like them trying to Outskill Alberta in the CW final, series may have been 2-1 but it wasn't even close, two big wins for Alberta where they outshot Sask 40 something to in the teens.

I also do not think the big home crowd will be an advantage for them in the first game. I think they will be nervous, and a little off to produce in front of their home fans and I think in the first period they will be standing around a little in aw of UNB's style of play.

This isn't to be cocky, i just think the Canada West has not been as strong in the past couple of years as they used to be, I believe Albertas record is a little inflated because of that. I really think the top half of the OUA is on par with the Canada West Conference now, and if either team UNB faces is a threat its UQTR in the second game.

This is also why Ive picked St Mary's over Alberta.

Of course I also expected Acadia to be a threat in 2006 in Edmondton and didn't happen, as well as UNB at Home last year

Old
03-10-2013, 03:04 PM
FreddtFoyle

The 2012 University Cup seedings and schedule has been released:

http://english.cis-sic.ca/championsh...leases/seeding

No surprises. Alberta gets #1 seeding, and has #4 Saint Mary's and #6 Waterloo in the afternoon pool. The loser plays Saint Mary's on Friday afternoon.

UNB gets the #2 seed, and is in the evening pool with #3 UQTR and #5 Saskatchewan. Since the Huskies wanted to play Thursday, they do indeed start with UNB, while the loser plays UQTR on Friday.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 03-10-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo
FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:07 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Murray View Post
Rankings are scheduled to be released by early afternoon (eastern time).

By the way, anybody know how many appearances UNB has made in the University Cup? Can't seem to find it on RedSea.
Nick, it is in the current V-Reds online media guide, http://vreds.ca/documents/2012/11/14...ckey_black.pdf Page 20.

Add one more appearance for this year ...

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:14 PM
CanWestFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
University Cup Predictions for me

Thursday
*Alberta over Waterloo 5-0
*UNB Defeats Saskatchewan 7-2

Friday
*St Mary's over waterloo 4-1
*UQTR defeats Saskatchewan 5-4

Saturday
*St Mary's over Alberta 4-2
*UNB over UQTR 6-3

Sunday University Cup
*UNB over St Mary's 3-2 / ot

Sorry everyone but I believe this is the year of the AUS, Last year was the first year since 2005-06 an AUS team was not in the final, not going to happen this year
The UofS won't roll over and die that easily cishockeyfan, nor will UQTR. I would expect the first game to be much closer than that, and hopefully an exciting game at that as well to open the tournament!! As you all know, anything can happen in this tournament (including UNB going 0-2, which is highly unlikely, but anything CAN happen), and to win requires skill and a bit of luck. Also looking forward to the St. Mary's and UofA game, as I think that game has potential to be one of the best in the tournament. In my opinion, I would like to see an all Canada-West final, as I think this would be the best scenario for Saskatoon hosting with the rivalry between the Huskies and bears. Regardless, looking forward to a great week of hockey and great games from all teams. Hope all you that are coming out to Saskatoon enjoy our city and enjoy the tournament, as it is shaping up to be one of the best ones yet!!

CanWestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Nick, it is in the current V-Reds online media guide, http://vreds.ca/documents/2012/11/14...ckey_black.pdf Page 20.

Add one more appearance for this year ...
also - see my answer in the UNB VReds Thread

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
The 2012 University Cup seedings and schedule has been released:

http://english.cis-sic.ca/championsh...leases/seeding

No surprises. Alberta gets #1 seeding, and has #4 Saint Mary's and #6 Waterloo in the afternoon pool. The loser plays Saint Mary's on Friday afternoon.

UNB gets the #2 seed, and is in the evening pool with #3 UQTR and #5 Saskatchewan. Since the Huskies wanted to play Thursday, they do indeed start with UNB, while the loser plays UQTR on Friday.
Pool A
Despite being the wild-card, SMU has a higher seed than OUA Runner-up Waterloo (which isn't a suprise really) so SMU avoids Alberta on Thursday afternoon. The SMU/Alberta game on Saturday will be a good game - CW Goalie of the year vs AUS 2nd Team Goalie of the Year. Waterloo doesn't have a chance against these teams - they gave up 3 more goals then they scored and haven't really dominated their playoff series.

Pool B
Too bad UNB and USask are playing on Thursday, this will be the marque game in Pool B. I don't agree with CISHockeyfan that this will be an easy game for UNB. USask did play UoA tough and are the 'home' team with the home crowed. UNB will have to score first (and certainly 2nd for sure) to keep the crowded out of it.

UQTR played UNB tough in a pre season game, but the win wasn't in doubt. They did get a scare from Carleton, focing them to play two elimination games in row. Then they played Waterloo on the road to a win. Do they have anything left? On paper they are an even match to UNB, but I have to give the node to UNB due to strength of schedule and they haven't won over the red machine since 2003 - losing as recently as the pre-season and last year's tournament (6-1) - I wouldn't be surprised if USask bounces back on Friday defeating UQTR making Saturday night moot.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:13 PM
AdamMcg83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Pool A
Despite being the wild-card, SMU has a higher seed than OUA Runner-up Waterloo (which isn't a suprise really) so SMU avoids Alberta on Thursday afternoon. The SMU/Alberta game on Saturday will be a good game - CW Goalie of the year vs AUS 2nd Team Goalie of the Year. Waterloo doesn't have a chance against these teams - they gave up 3 more goals then they scored and haven't really dominated their playoff series.

Pool B
Too bad UNB and USask are playing on Thursday, this will be the marque game in Pool B. I don't agree with CISHockeyfan that this will be an easy game for UNB. USask did play UoA tough and are the 'home' team with the home crowed. UNB will have to score first (and certainly 2nd for sure) to keep the crowded out of it.

UQTR played UNB tough in a pre season game, but the win wasn't in doubt. They did get a scare from Carleton, focing them to play two elimination games in row. Then they played Waterloo on the road to a win. Do they have anything left? On paper they are an even match to UNB, but I have to give the node to UNB due to strength of schedule and they haven't won over the red machine since 2003 - losing as recently as the pre-season and last year's tournament (6-1) - I wouldn't be surprised if USask bounces back on Friday defeating UQTR making Saturday night moot.
Admitted bias aside, I don't think you can automatically dismiss Waterloo. In a 2-game round robin, anything can happen. Of course they aren't favoured, but their record isnt indicative of the season they had - at one point, they lost 10 of 11 games decided by 1 goal. This team was a few bounces away from being in the echelon with Windsor and Lakehead in the OUA West; in stead they were a 6th seed.

Western was the #3 team in the nation when Waterloo beat them twice in 24 hours to eliminate the defending Uni Cup finalists. Is it likely to happen again? No. But I think its premature to write anyone off in a tournament this short.

AdamMcg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Shootmaster_44

Just an FYI, the CIS has the Saturday night game wrong. Faceoff is at 8 PM Saskatoon time.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Live Feed of Pool Games

FYI - the following are the links for those who wish to keep track of live games during the tournament. I'll update this as I find more info.

- all games will be broadcast by CHSR-FM (UNB College Hill Student Radio) called by Nick Murray and the venerable Dave Kilfoil (colour). UNB games will be re-broadcast the next morning and I believe stored as pod casts.

- the CIS announced in their Seeding press release that all games will appear on www.CIS-SIC.tv. This is a Stretch Internet service similar to www.canadawest.tv. They use an Adobe Flash solution.

- Sportsnet will be covering 3 games (both games on Saturday and the finals on Sunday).

- Semi-Final #1 March 16, 1:30 pm Central (3:30pm EST / 4:30 AST) on Sportsnet Ontario, West & Pacific

- Semi-Final #2 March 16, 8:00 pm Central (10:00pm EST / 11:00pm AST) on Sportsnet East, Ontario, West & Pacific

- Finals March 17, 5:30 pm Central (7:30pm EST / 8:30pm AST) on Sportsnet ONE

Last edited by Drummer: 03-10-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 07:54 PM
RED ARMY EAST

I hope the video from CISTV is better than the womens final. buffering,buffering,buffering!
You can't enjoy a game like that.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
I hope the video from CISTV is better than the womens final. buffering,buffering,buffering!
You can't enjoy a game like that.
According to the Huskies site, all games are available through canadawest.tv too. Perhaps that site is better for streaming. Of course, I doubt there are as many people watching, but I've never had issues for Huskies football road games.

I wonder if 92.9 The Bull in Saskatoon is carrying the Huskies games? I know in the past they have, but haven't seen anything one way or the other about it.

So are there a large contingent of Reds fans coming for the tournament?

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Nick Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
FYI - the following are the links for those who wish to keep track of live games during the tournament. I'll update this as I find more info.

- all games will be broadcast by CHSR-FM (UNB College Hill Student Radio) called by Nick Murray and the venerable Dave Kilfoil (colour). UNB games will be re-broadcast the next morning and I believe stored as pod casts.

- the CIS announced in their Seeding press release that all games will appear on www.CIS-SIC.tv. This is a Stretch Internet service similar to www.canadawest.tv. They use an Adobe Flash solution.

- Sportsnet will be covering 3 games (both games on Saturday and the finals on Sunday).

- Semi-Final #1 March 16, 1:30 pm Central (3:30pm EST / 4:30 AST) on Sportsnet Ontario, West & Pacific

- Semi-Final #2 March 16, 8:00 pm Central (10:00pm EST / 11:00pm AST) on Sportsnet East, Ontario, West & Pacific

- Finals March 17, 5:30 pm Central (7:30pm EST / 8:30pm AST) on Sportsnet ONE
Thanks for the shout out Drummer. Many fans and parents have watched the webcasts, but have muted them and tuned into CHSR (chsrfm.ca) as to not miss any of the action. No buffering on our website. Also available across New Brunswick on Rogers Digital channel 946.

Also, an update on the Critchlow suspension:

I spoke with Ron MacDonald, who's heading up the committee to review the appeal, and he wouldn't comment on any procedural questions. But my interpretation of section 7.7 of the AUS' Standards of Conduct, is that a committee has 15 business days to come to a decision. So who knows if that'll be before Wednesday.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Dutch

What's the injury status/suspensions for the participants ?

UQTR is healthy, with all the usual 20 players taking part in the OUA final.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Nick Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

As of now UNB's Cam Critchlow is suspended. Luke Lynes has had a concussion for most of the year and is not serving as a casual assistant coach. Adrian Robertson was scratched in the final game against SMU. Other than that I believe everyone is healthy

Old
03-11-2013, 07:27 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Murray View Post
As of now UNB's Cam Critchlow is suspended. Luke Lynes has had a concussion for most of the year and is not serving as a casual assistant coach. Adrian Robertson was scratched in the final game against SMU. Other than that I believe everyone is healthy
What is Adrian Robertson injury status, he missed the last 2 games of the SMU series after just coming back from a season injury? Daine Todd also did not play the third period of game 3 after getting rocked into the boards with those poor shoulders of his, I cringe when he gets blindsided like that cause of past history.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:04 AM
AdamMcg83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Waterloo is relatively healthy, although they've been missing a trio of vets for the bulk of the season. The 20 that dressed for the Queen's Cup were, save for the rotating 6th defenceman, the 20 that have played in every game since the Christmas break.

AdamMcg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:49 AM
CanWestFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
According to the Huskies site, all games are available through canadawest.tv too. Perhaps that site is better for streaming. Of course, I doubt there are as many people watching, but I've never had issues for Huskies football road games.

I wonder if 92.9 The Bull in Saskatoon is carrying the Huskies games? I know in the past they have, but haven't seen anything one way or the other about it.

So are there a large contingent of Reds fans coming for the tournament?
I saw Les Lazaruk tweet that they would have the game on the Bull on Thursday for sure, as the Blades don't play till Friday and Saturday up in P.A.

CanWestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Nick Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
What is Adrian Robertson injury status, he missed the last 2 games of the SMU series after just coming back from a season injury? Daine Todd also did not play the third period of game 3 after getting rocked into the boards with those poor shoulders of his, I cringe when he gets blindsided like that cause of past history.
As of today, I'm not sure on Robertson or Todd's status.

Also, update on Critchlow suspension appeal: Hearing time has been proposed for Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. http://thebruns.ca/sports/online-exc...ow-suspension/

Old
03-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Bob Stauffer

Here are some thoughts on Saskatchewan

#1. There might be a method to Saskatchewan's madness in opening up the first night and against perennial power UNB!
As lower seed of the opening game the Huskies will have last change.
Had Saskatchewan done the traditional Friday/Saturday/Sunday thing-three games in three nights and allowed UNB to play UQTR on ...it would have meant the V-Reds would have had last change...assuming the V-Reds would've beat UQTR.
Saskatchewan has more fire power, but are less physical than than some of their teams of the past. Saskatchewan also posseses a deeper line-up and are more capable of playing a four line game, and that is more useful in a game NOT on TV.
The games that are televised have :90 breaks after the 14/10/6 minute marks. These TV games at the CIS level allow a coach to play basically three lines and hide a D as well.
The Huskies also have better PP forwards than in the past. Derek Hulak and Kyle Bortis were legitimate 80+ point scorers in the WHL.
My experience (and I went to 10 of 11 Nationals from '98 to 2008 and sat on the orgnanizing committee in '04 and '05) is that there are more penalty calls early in the tournament as the teams try to figure out the standard that the officals have "elected" to impose...
Of course there is also the travel factor. The CIS tends to be a homeshow!
No team that flew to the University Cup from 1999-2007 won the Championship.
UNB has to be favored in their pool based on the strength of the AUS over the last several years, but the Huskies CAN pull off an upset.

Bob Stauffer
Oilers Radio Network

Day 16 of 17 on the Road in Denver

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:11 PM
hyster110

did anyone hear about he dressing room break in for the womens CIS final over this weekend? i hope nothing like this happens in saskatoon

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote