HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Alexander Ovechkin

Old
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Some of that video evidence was of stuff you see all the time and would never have been used to run down a Canadian.

Blaming a guy changing way behind the play when a goalie whiffs on a completely unscreened shot from just inside the blueline and plenty of other Caps already back? A blind centering pass from behind the net that results in the puck simply coming out of the zone?

I see these kinds of things all the time in this league but Milbury acted as if they were some egregious, unheard of mistakes. The blind pass he even said 8 year olds don't do.
And I am anything but an Ovechkin defender these days.
Silly Canadian remark completely detracts from your otherwise well intentioned post. Well done.

Do you see those kind of things "all the time" from other MVP/$9 mil + a year players? Let's face reality....Ovechkin has a higher bar to reach because he set the bar so high himself. Pointing out that a goalie made a bad play or that the Caps had plenty (but apparently not) of other guys back defending is nothing but making excuses for the play.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Millhaus

I've seen every top player in the game in my lifetime change behind the play on defense and make blind passes. Every single one.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Bonzai

Pretty horrible 48 hour stretch for Ovie. Had some chances, created some opportunities, but I'd say the horrible, boneheaded turnovers or lazy play outnumbered the good by at least 3:1.

Something needs to give for him. Having just moved to Pittsburgh and watched a lot of their games, it amazes me that it was even once a discussion who was better between him and Sid. It seems to me that it's a rarity for Ovie to make the smart hockey play like so many stars do game in and game out. Those plays win win games. Instead, Ovie opts for the spectacular, low percentage play that, IMO, he does not have the dangles to pull off anymore.

Granted, it's not all his fault. I have no explanation for why he's stuck playing with Hendricks. Why not Fehr if you're going to try Chimera up there? Give him someone with hands and an actual defensive presence. The team is poorly constructed thanks to our genius GM, but our best player has shown he's incapable of elevating his play. Outside of a few games here or there, he's been a detriment to this team so far this year.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:44 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Do you see those kind of things "all the time" from other MVP/$9 mil + a year players? Let's face reality....Ovechkin has a higher bar to reach because he set the bar so high himself. Pointing out that a goalie made a bad play or that the Caps had plenty (but apparently not) of other guys back defending is nothing but making excuses for the play.
Yes. Malkin plays with all sorts of dumb. He just still has the explosive, dominant offensive ability that Ovechkin has lost.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:05 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I would strip his C long before trading him. Sure his Cefenders will say shortly after getting the C, our team never played better. But only for a month or 2, and then he and our team have never been the same. Chart his all time NHL stock value and you will see it peaked at the time he got the C.

Coincidence? I don't care.

I don't know what you look for in a captain but he doesn't appear to do things well that I look for in a C. Perhaps he is great in the locker room when something needs to be said, and I am wrong. I like a captain that will stand up for teammates and even drop the gloves.... but I don't want him to be that guy. That''s just me though.

We missed a nice window to reset it all this summer. By the time the season started, no one would care.

It just looks like he is over thinking and if the C IS making him play better, then yeah maybe we should consider trading him. I don't see it.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:07 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Way to completely ignore the Olympics.

That was the turning point, not getting the C.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:10 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I would strip his C long before trading him. Sure his Cefenders will say shortly after getting the C, our team never played better. But only for a month or 2, and then he and our team have never been the same. Chart his all time NHL stock value and you will see it peaked at the time he got the C.

Coincidence? I don't care.

I don't know what you look for in a captain but he doesn't appear to do things well that I look for in a C. Perhaps he is great in the locker room when something needs to be said, and I am wrong. I like a captain that will stand up for teammates and even drop the gloves.... but I don't want him to be that guy. That''s just me though.

We missed a nice window to reset it all this summer. By the time the season started, no one would care.

It just looks like he is over thinking and if the C IS making him play better, then yeah maybe we should consider trading him. I don't see it.
Randy, I said it in the GDT, but he needs a sports shrink. He's lost his drive in the NHL. I think the criticism, the pressure, the number of times he's seriously injured people, the disappointments, especially in Vancouver. It's all piled on. When was the last time he talked about wanting a Stanley Cup? Used to say it all the time.

I think taking the C would help too, but only if we have a really good option to replace him, someone who can be classy and take the pressure off without humiliating him.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:12 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

And I think it's possible. He could find his form and become a better player. It's not too late, but the window is closing. Someone needs to tell him, honestly, that he needs help. I think Oates might actually have the balls to do that.

A better off-season training regimen wouldn't hurt either.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Koized

Ovy should be traded, for the sake of the Capitals.

That should be the title of the thread.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:38 PM
SID87BORG

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Randy, I said it in the GDT, but he needs a sports shrink. He's lost his drive in the NHL. I think the criticism, the pressure, the number of times he's seriously injured people, the disappointments, especially in Vancouver. It's all piled on. When was the last time he talked about wanting a Stanley Cup? Used to say it all the time.

I think taking the C would help too, but only if we have a really good option to replace him, someone who can be classy and take the pressure off without humiliating him.
Nailed it.

I this point, I think that it wouldn't hurt for him to see 1 or 2. Dunno, might just help. I strongly feel like he is underperforming tremendously. The amount of times he has fallen on the ice since the Olympics is astounding. Also someone mentioned it in another thread, but I too in all the years I have watched hockey, (correct me if I'm wrong) I've never seen a star player do that so often...nor such decline in play that wasn't the result of a serious injury of some type.

SID87BORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Halpysback

That same game NBC was trolling Radulov Legwand literally grabbed a puck out of the air and tossed it into his own net. Not a peep from the MSM.

Valid Canadian remark is valid.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:51 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
That same game NBC was trolling Radulov Legwand literally grabbed a puck out of the air and tossed it into his own net. Not a peep from the MSM.

Valid Canadian remark is valid.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:25 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

He is clearly overthinking now. Maybe Oates trying to help is making it worse in the short term. Ovi is a player of instinct. Any player that needs to be told how to play after winning a hart is literally re-learning a lot of game, all the things that didnt come naturally that didnt matter, well, because he was winning Harts. He is not anymore, so it will look ugly at times.

CCF1 Nailed it

Quote:
criticism, the pressure, the number of times he's seriously injured people, the disappointments
All that stuff adds up. He faces a ton of pressure and I am almost sure toting the C does not help

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Atlas

It's the Caps team that sucks. Ovie is about the only player who does anything exciting, even if it's inconsistently.

Our D is really bad. Green is a flame out. He had a couple of good seasons and is now in decline. Carlson is a player but not a star. Alzner is a steady Eddie, he's the one player you can count on defensively. Orlov looked good last year. If healthy, he is a major piece for the future.

This D is far from Stanley Cup material.

Our O sucks less but does suck. Ribs is creating a lot of O in his contract year. But he can't do face-offs. He's good but not without his weak spots. Backstrom is not at all dominant. I'd figure out what his problem is...and maybe trade him. I always liked him but he's not looking like a 1C this year. The O doesn't look like a team. They look like a bunch of misfits.

Goalie is not great either. Though Holtby might be legit.

Ovie knows this team is crap.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Capitlols

Wrong thread.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:26 PM
txpd

wondering. those that want ovechkin stripped of the c. do you really want to humiliate him? is that the goal?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:55 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
wondering. those that want ovechkin stripped of the c. do you really want to humiliate him? is that the goal?
i think they've just run out of ideas

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Vegeta

Pens fan coming in peace, just offering my own analysis on Ovechkin. Everyone in the world saw OV turn in some of the greatest pure goalscoring seasons of all time, and while the peak age of goal-scorers is about 23, players don't just fall off a cliff like OV has. It's become quite evident ever since the 2010 Olympics that OV's head just isn't in the game.

Call it a lack of motivation, a sense of defeatism, hopelessness, or whatever, it's clear as day that OV isn't playing the game as well as he should be. The talent certainly hasn't left him, as in every Pens-Caps game he still turns on the fireworks and looks incredible. I just believe that a history of hype followed by disappointment has destroyed OV's confidence in his game, and in his team.

Everyone expected the Caps to have at least made a SCF by now, and most people expected Russia to be a favorite for the Gold Medal. When crushing failures occur, the media and the fans always lay the most blame on the "face of the failure". Every level of organized hockey OV has played in, OV has been the face of his team. When his team loses, people just tend to lay the blame on him. I think this caused him to snap. He needs a culture change, whether that be a roster and management turnover in Washington, or being traded to a new team. The talent is still there, the will is not.

Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
i think they've just run out of ideas

They only escape from our purgatory is to criticize The Humanitarian relentlessly. He deserves it. And then there might come a day, or a moment, when reason prevails and he thinks, "George isn't good enough."

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

NTC kicks in July 1, 2014, so whatever they do it has to be soon.

Next thought, there is NO WAY Leonisis trades Ovie. Trading Ovie immediately returns the Caps to irrelevancy, and TL will not let that happen. Good Ovie, bad Ovie, doesn't matter, he is the only thing they keeps anyone, other than hardcore Cap fans, intererested.

Personally I hope they move him or he asks to be moved, because until GMGM is fired this org will never get fixed. And apparently he is bulletproof.

Gustavo Fring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:58 PM
KHstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
NTC kicks in July 1, 2014, so whatever they do it has to be soon.

Next thought, there is NO WAY Leonisis trades Ovie. Trading Ovie immediately returns the Caps to irrelevancy, and TL will not let that happen. Good Ovie, bad Ovie, doesn't matter, he is the only thing they keeps anyone, other than hardcore Cap fans, intererested.

Personally I hope they move him or he asks to be moved, because until GMGM is fired this org will never get fixed. And apparently he is bulletproof.
Pens fan here in peace. Even if it makes the most sense for the team, trading your superstar draw tells your fanbase you've given up. IF his horrible funk continues long term, I would think they would do anything they could to adjust the team around him, with trading him the very last option available.

KHstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:04 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

No one here has any interest, whatsoever, in what Pens fans have to say on the issue.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:09 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
No one here has any interest, whatsoever, in what Pens fans have to say on the issue.
Why? They aren't hurting anything just giving their own analysis and insight

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Haj

I believe the answer is complicated.

I think there are many reasons why Ovechkin has "declined"

1. The rest of the league knows how to defend him better
2. He hasn't worked to become a better defensive player
3. I think he puts too much pressure on himself to score goals because he knows he is not a complete defensive player.
4. The Capitals lack secondary scoring / Mike Green has not/will not reach the level he was at before he got hurt. I feel like if the Caps had a dynamic puck mover at the blue line, that would change their attack.
5. Maybe knicks/wear and tear over his career have robbed him of some explosiveness or has made his shot less accurate ?

Even for the best goalscorers...goals come and go. Hard work, defense, and all the other little things can always be there.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Why? They aren't hurting anything just giving their own analysis and insight
Are you sure "insight" is an appropriate word?

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote