HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 08:40 PM
bobber

vCash: 500
Lot of NHL drafted players on this team. Hope their hearts are in the right place.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:04 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Lot of NHL drafted players on this team. Hope their hearts are in the right place.

Yeah, some of whch may be just looking to get this season over with quickly in an effort to get to the next level.

The quicker the Rangers season is over, the quicker some of these guys get into an NHL or AHL lineup.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:35 PM
BenchedGuy

Does anyone have a list or know all of the draft picks we have signed? I know Frank Hora was signed in early February.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:40 PM
bobber

No suspension on the Fanelli hit. League considered it a decent body check I guess. This is why players have to have each others back when a player like Ben nailed like this incident.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:40 PM
EvenSteven

In light of the fact that Saginaw"s Terry Trafford will not be suspended by the league for the hit from behind on Ben Fanelli, (yes, THAT Ben Fanelli, who hasn"t played since because of the head injury sustained when his head slammed into the glass on the play), I suppose we can expect the Rangers to take matters into their own hands tonight in Saginaw!!!

BAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-ha!!!!

Sorry! What was I thinking! We have the wrong coach in Kitchener for that!!

Old
03-15-2013, 05:40 PM
bobber

Your right about that. This is why some teams like Windsor , London and Owen Sound as an example still employ a tough guy. If the scouts here found a Duco or Clarkson and he had more than three fights he would be traded ala Genovese. Spott played college hockey and that is what he wants here.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

What's the story with Gibson? He back? He healthy? He the man going into the playoffs?
(obviously a healthy, non-rusty Gibson can be a show stopper).

Old
03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
What's the story with Gibson? He back? He healthy? He the man going into the playoffs?
(obviously a healthy, non-rusty Gibson can be a show stopper).
He's back and healthy and has played very well since his return. He is definitely the man.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:26 AM
BenchedGuy

With him being back for the last week and playing all the games but the final regular season game against the Soo, he seems to be back in fine form. It looks like they waited for him to be good to go and not have a nagging issue through the playoffs.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:17 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Wonder if Sparks gets the hook? He's been a fraction too slow at reacting all night, as a Ranger fan I'll take it but it also worries me because he's probably not going to give us another one like that this series.

Storm have definitely been the more aggressive team. They like to pressure the puck carrier so the key will be for the Rangers to pass effectively. Guelph has been undisciplined, it's one thing to be over aggressive but they are taking unneeded penalties. I disagree with Scott Dickie that pedan deserved a major; it wasn't a smart penalty but it wasn't overly vicious, the minor penalty was the correct call.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:22 PM
bobber

Pedan intentionally tried to injure Murphy. McNaugton basically said that was the game plan on CTV. Bertuzzi also slashed him twice on the arms. Walker cannot call himself an OHL coach after this display. Rangers stayed disciplined and won. Gibby was great. I think Sparks is good but seems to be inconsistent. Guelph does get in behind our D a lot. It's going to be a rough but short series if the Storm keep losing it like tonight.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:02 AM
EvenSteven

Good win for the Rangers last night. Gibson was lights out as was the PP. As long as this continues, this will be over in five games.

As expected, Guelph was over the top physical and got more and more dirty as the game wore on to the point of being borderline out of control. The refs gave a token goalie interference penalty to both teams in the first but it did nothing to prevent the Storm from altering their game plan with Gibson.

It was laughable that the first Guelph goal stood considering Gibson was bowled over into the net on the play. All that did was give the Storm the green light to continue knocking him around in his crease at every opportunity - which they did. In the third, when two Storm players cruised in to crash Gibson after a whistle, Thomson was there to basically block them from getting to his goalie and the ref gave him a roughing penalty? All he did was keep the Storm players away from Gibson. In other words, the ref was saying, "How dare you protect your goalie".

It was unbelievable that it took until the last 5 minutes of the game for the refs to put Bertuzzi in the box. Thoughout the game, he could have been called multiple times on most shifts for stick fouls and/or charging/roughing penalties.

Some Guelph fans may be upset with the fact that the Storm were penalized much more than the Rangers, but they can take comfort in the fact that there could have easily been three times the calls against them. Some of the stuff that went on, especially in the last half of the game, that the refs saw and chose not to call was unbelievable. Perhaps if the refs clamped down on the Storm even more, the 5 minute major for head checking in the 3rd period doesn't haqppen.

The one bright light for the Storm was the play of Michael Nishi. He didn't allow a goal after having to face the Ranger PP for much of the 3rd period. Of course, Sparks will be back in net for game 2, and you can only blame him for maybe the Puempel goal. All the others were either screen shots or pucks that changed direction on him. I'm surprised that Walker pulled him. It must have been to light a fire under his team.

And, on the post game call-in show, a Guelph fan opened the show by calling in and blaming the Storm's loss on the referees. He also said that if the refs performed that way when the series shifts to Guelph, that the Storm fans should get up and walk out of the building. That was funny. What was more funny was that Mike Farwell agreed with him "hole heartedly". Then Farwell went on to rail against the state of OHL officiating.

Ummm, Mike? Sure the officiating was bad, but not because Guelph got too many penalties, but because they didn't get enough. Mike seemed to miss the caller's point - that the refs cost the Storm the game!!

Old
03-23-2013, 12:20 PM
bobber

Use to care for Farwell's comments but he seems to bend over backwards to keep from getting a homer label. Makes him look phoney at times. Not always right.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:25 PM
krazy kanuck

Fanelli

You know, I'm a die-hard Colts fan, but you have to cheer for a guy like Ben Fanelli. I assume he'll be back as an OA, but just in case he doesn't I hope the Rangers go deep this year.

Old
03-25-2013, 07:42 AM
bobber

I agree. Fanelli will be captain next season if he comes back. Good kid. Well respected for his efforts outside of hockey with Head Strong. Plays hard every game.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
You know, I'm a die-hard Colts fan, but you have to cheer for a guy like Ben Fanelli. I assume he'll be back as an OA, but just in case he doesn't I hope the Rangers go deep this year.

Yeah....I agree about Ben, great player on the ice and even a better off the ice. IMHO Ben would've had a solid pro career except for his 'history'. Not sure if a team would take a gamble even though I don't think it would be much of one.
Bobber is 100% correct if Ben is back he'll be wearing the 'C', too be honest when the Colts win the bid to host the Memorial Cup I would love to see him get traded there. Apparently Ben and Mark Scheiffle are best friends and spend a lot of time at each other houses. Ben eats, breathes and lives for hockey, where ever he ends up after his OHL he'll be playing hockey somewhere.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:54 PM
KnightRanger

The good news for the Rangers....They have Gibson!

The Bad news, 5 on 5 they were completely dominated!

.....and why was Murphy even on the ice with 35 seconds left in 2-0 games when on a 5 on 3?????? They way the game was going, everyone in the arena knew what was going to happen........except Spott!

In games 3 and 4 if the Rangers are up late, I hope he sits his top 5 players and if up enough, pull Gibson too! Why risk an injury to the other teams meat heads!!!!

Old
03-25-2013, 06:47 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Bobber is 100% correct if Ben is back he'll be wearing the 'C', too be honest when the Colts win the bid to host the Memorial Cup I would love to see him get traded there.
That would be nice, he'd be a perfect fit...would be great playing opposite EK5.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
That would be nice, he'd be a perfect fit...would be great playing opposite EK5.
Having said that, I suspect Fanelli to remain a Ranger throughout his entire playing career and maybe even beyond in some capacity.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Refs tried their damndest to give Guelph this game. Never seen so many marginal calls in my life, and I've never seen so many of our power plays neutralize on marginal calls.

And it worked.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Tim Wallach

Kitchener did themselves in with a soft, passive, stick-check based brand of defence trying to protect a lead that should have been in the bag.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:55 PM
bobber

Soft no hitting hockey won't carry a team far in the play offs. Spott likes mobile D. Any sign of being aggressive like Genovese and your history. Two kids that would drop the mitts Genovese and Czinder where traded. Not suitable for our college type hockey. Czinder was a point a game after he left.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:05 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Soft no hitting hockey won't carry a team far in the play offs. Spott likes mobile D. Any sign of being aggressive like Genovese and your history. Two kids that would drop the mitts Genovese and Czinder where traded. Not suitable for our college type hockey. Czinder was a point a game after he left.

Speaking of college hockey, ex-Storm coach Jeff Jackson would be proud!!

I said it a while ago and I'll say it again: "Boy, wouldn't it be nice to have a team who will play it physical like Guelph, Plymouth, Owen Sound, and the Soo do".

There's no reason Spott couldn't have put together a team who could play it both ways. I understand playing a passive game against the less physical teams, but to put together a team geared towards winning a championship that doesn't have the guns to match up against the physicality of the above teams, especially on the back end, is just plain dumb - especially in this western conference - and especially considering the damage that was done to this team physically in the first two rounds in last year's playoffs.

Spott's game plan of turning the other cheek and hoping the refs put you on the power play is confusing. He has been fined multiple times for whining about the inept officials in this league and these are the guys he is depending on to make the right calls when his team is fouled?? It was time to be prepared to take matters in your own hands a long time ago.

The physicality of Sol and Randell was not replaced and it shows big time. Dealing away Genovese made us even softer on the back end. We'll miss him over the next couple of years for sure. I'd have sent Gilbert to Sudbury, who is younger and has more upside offensively, instead - even if we had to add another pick. Geno would look pretty good right now standing his ground in front of Gibson.

Czinder wasn't given much of a chance to put up any points here in Kitchener. Outside of the pre-season and the first few games to start the year, Czinder saw virtually zero time on the PP while Spott pointed fingers at veterans, including him, for not putting points on the board. He was left to languish on the 4th line which left many wondering why he was even on the roster as an OA if he wasn't going to be given a chance to play a bigger role. He finally got another shot on the PP when the guys went off to the WJC and put up some points. That's what happens when you give a guy a decent shot. No surprise he did so well after his move to the Petes.

My head still hurts after that game in Guelph last night. I've never seen a team absolutely turn the switch off so abruptly as the Rangers did last night in the last 6 minutes. It was as if the Storm was on a 5 on 3 power play to close out the game. Unbelievable!! The team with heart won last night's game.

Spott needs to make some changes to the forward lines going into game four. Bailey hasn't put many points on the board since the 95 line was broken up. Maybe they need to be reunited as the 3rd line playing against other team's third lines. To have Pederson and Shoenmakers, two of our slowest forwards, on a line with MM is just dumb.

How would this look going into game four?:

Thomson / Rieder / Leivo
Puempel / Faksa / Marcantuoni
Pederson / Sterk / Bailey
Alberga / Meighan / Ming

- That 4th line has to stay together.
- MM played well on the wing earlier on and would be back on a line with players who can keep up to him.
- Sterk comes in to center the 95 line which leaves Shoey as the odd man out. I doubt that'll happen but Shoey has been less than impressive and since Spott won't utilize his physicality, a big part of his usefulness is handcuffed.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:10 AM
bobber

Reading today's Record and you hear players like Carrado and Shoe saying you have to keep attacking. Makes one wonder if they see a flaw in the system employed by Spott. There is a set of twins in the draft coming up that are tenacious like the Ruperts only bigger. Ranger scouts will avoid them like the black plague.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Loosie

Tobias Reider's rights have been traded to Phoenix, Edmonton got Kale Kessy in return.

Closed Thread