HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Goaltending discussion thread (edit: Markstrom called up)

Old
03-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Benched

vCash: 157
Quote:
Dineen said Theodore would be out for some time and that Markstrom would be headed to South Florida. Markstrom was held out of Saturday’s game in San Antonio as he is expected to start Sunday against Carolina.

Markstrom was 0-2 last month in giving up three goals to both Pittsburgh and Boston. Florida sent him back to San Antonio because it didn’t want to carry three goalies as it appeared Scott Clemmensen was out of his early-season rut.

With Theodore out for the foreseeable future, Markstrom is not considered a roster luxury anymore
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/0...#storylink=cpy

Was this honestly the thinking? That the best goalie on the team was a "roster luxury" and we sent him back because we preferred Clem over him?

My god...

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:01 AM
CanadianPantherFan

vCash: 500
We are an organization, one of 8-12 clubs in this league that DEMANDS above average goaltending, we are NOT getting near that this season. The worst tending' dating back to the Auld days or further.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:10 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
We are an organization, one of 8-12 clubs in this league that DEMANDS above average goaltending, we are NOT getting near that this season. The worst tending' dating back to the Auld days or further.
Worst tending we've ever had

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:21 AM
Vitto79

time for Markstrom to tak the job. I'm banking on him as my backup Goalie on my fantasy team. Come on kid!

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 06:24 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post

Was this honestly the thinking? That the best goalie on the team was a "roster luxury" and we sent him back because we preferred Clem over him?

My god...
Unforgivable ....

adam graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 09:50 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Worst tending we've ever had
Yeah, we've pretty much never have had a problem with goaltending. Very similar to how we've never had a true #1 center. Maybe things are changing? haha

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Dr Beinfest

A roster luxury implies that they're oozing out an extra $2mil/yr pro rated to carry a third goaltender.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:24 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
A roster luxury implies that they're oozing out an extra $2mil/yr pro rated to carry a third goaltender.
We're paying under $3 million on our two goalies now. Frick, Vokoun was $5.6 million alone.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post

My god...
I'm not sure what you were expecting the article to say.

They can't write that Markstrom isn't here because the Panthers paid Clemmensen for no reason in the offseason.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:26 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/0...situation.html

nice the voices of the fans were heard with the chants of "We want Markstrom!"

Old
03-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/0...situation.html

nice the voices of the fans were heard with the chants of "We want Markstrom!"
My god Clemmer's #'s are absolutely atrocious lol. No matter how bad he is though I feel bad that the fans were chanting that after every goal lol. That being said I would have joined in had I been there.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:18 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
My god Clemmer's #'s are absolutely atrocious lol. No matter how bad he is though I feel bad that the fans were chanting that after every goal lol. That being said I would have joined in had I been there.
Well, he still has better numbers than DiPietro...

er, okay maybe not.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:51 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Well, he still has better numbers than DiPietro...

er, okay maybe not.
Dipietro => 3 3 58:32 0 3 0 12 4.10 83 71 .855
Clemmensen =>10 6 44:48 2 3 2 31 4.15 220 189 .859

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Dipietro => 3 3 58:32 0 3 0 12 4.10 83 71 .855
Clemmensen =>10 6 44:48 2 3 2 31 4.15 220 189 .859
Good night, sweet prince.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
I'm a Rangers fan but I just wanted to come here and praise Markstrom and the recent drafting by Florida. I like where this team is going!

Markstrom - he is an Alien! You will not find another 6"6 goalie who moves as well as this guy! I think he is going to be a HUGE star and potentially mark a new era of bigger yet mobile goalies.

Future - I know you guys are down on your team now. But all rebuilding teams go through pains. The very good news:

In a few years this team may look something like this:

Fleischman - Huberdeau - Grimaldi
Howden - Bjugstad - Mueller
McFarland - Shore - Trocheck
Mattias - Goc - Kopecky

Gudbranson - Campbell
Kulikov - Petrovic
Matheson - Robak

The Alien
Who else do u need?!? Play the Alien every game

I'm sure u guys will correct my lineup. I was not trying for accuracy

Just saying u have a bright future! U need more scoring on the Wings. Rest is Great!!!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:23 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
I'm a Rangers fan but I just wanted to come here and praise Markstrom and the recent drafting by Florida. I like where this team is going!

Markstrom - he is an Alien! You will not find another 6"6 goalie who moves as well as this guy! I think he is going to be a HUGE star and potentially mark a new era of bigger yet mobile goalies.

Future - I know you guys are down on your team now. But all rebuilding teams go through pains. The very good news:

Mattias - Goc - Kopecky

Gudbranson - Campbell
Kulikov - Petrovic
Matheson - Robak

The Alien

Just saying u have a bright future! U need more scoring on the Wings. Rest is Great!!!
Thanks for the kind words! We are all very excited about Markstrom and the young guns. Hard to be patient with our history, but agree the future is bright.

If Markstrom serves us as the king has served your garden faithful, all is good.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post

Mattias - Goc - Kopecky

Gudbranson - Campbell
Kulikov - Petrovic
Matheson - Robak

The Alien

Thanks for the support! Nice to see another fan come in and praise the cats. Quite jealous you guys nabbed Nash.

One little qualm though, I don't think Huberdeau will be our top line center, but our top line Lwer in the near future. Other then that that lineup does look appealing no doubt.

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Leaf fan here, but no silly trade proposals or otherwise unintelligible verbal tripe, honest. I feel your frustration, believe me. It's tough to watch your team struggle, but I honestly believe Tallon's decision to avoid mortgaging your future on a goalie (Luongo) is the correct move. I'm watching Markstrom with earnest, and absolute jealousy; I believe he is the guy you can build around, along with Gudbranson and Kulikov. Add Huberdeau and Matthias to the mix and you've got lots to look forward to. I just came by to poke around and read your thoughts about Markstrom, from a home crowd perspective. I'm excited for you guys...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Leaf fan here, but no silly trade proposals or otherwise unintelligible verbal tripe, honest. I feel your frustration, believe me. It's tough to watch your team struggle, but I honestly believe Tallon's decision to avoid mortgaging your future on a goalie (Luongo) is the correct move. I'm watching Markstrom with earnest, and absolute jealousy; I believe he is the guy you can build around, along with Gudbranson and Kulikov. Add Huberdeau and Matthias to the mix and you've got lots to look forward to. I just came by to poke around and read your thoughts about Markstrom, from a home crowd perspective. I'm excited for you guys...
Yeah, he's been good...I wish he wasn't hung out to dry every game. I'm not down for finishing last if it means Markstrom gets lit up every game.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:10 PM
harv3317

sorry, markie's had his moments, but overall at this point in his development he hasn't showed the consistency to be a starting goalie in this league yet. i was really hoping for more. hope his development continues and he does become an elite goalie. at this point it's all potential and as we know that doesn't always pan out. i'm hoping it does in his case.
i know many people may disagree, so go ahead and rant away, but i'm sticking to my analysis so far.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yeah, he's been good...I wish he wasn't hung out to dry every game. I'm not down for finishing last if it means Markstrom gets lit up every game.
This was part of the reason why I didn't mind leaving him in San Antonio (before Theo's injury obviously).

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Erick

People love to baby Markstrom.

He's young and I'm sure he'll learn. If he loses confidence over this, he was never going to be good to begin with. Not the first "star" goalie to start on a horrid team.

+ be real. Some of the goals recently have been his fault. Without a doubt. Had Scott Clemmensen allowed those goals, he would've been bashed for his play.

Markstrom can blame himself for some of the issues. It's not as if he's playing some sort of extraordinary hockey and still losing. He's losing because he's not playing well, himself. I'm sure he'll turn it around. I'm actually hoping he doesn't this year. I want the 1st pick now. This team obviously needs help.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:38 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
People love to baby Markstrom.

He's young and I'm sure he'll learn. If he loses confidence over this, he was never going to be good to begin with. Not the first "star" goalie to start on a horrid team.

+ be real. Some of the goals recently have been his fault. Without a doubt. Had Scott Clemmensen allowed those goals, he would've been bashed for his play.

Markstrom can blame himself for some of the issues. It's not as if he's playing some sort of extraordinary hockey and still losing. He's losing because he's not playing well, himself. I'm sure he'll turn it around. I'm actually hoping he doesn't this year. I want the 1st pick now. This team obviously needs help.
Agree completely. I think Markstrom will be fine, but he will take some time to adjust. This is also why I was hoping next year would be a 1a/1b type of situation.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Do you guys see Thedore being brought back next year to share the tending duties with Markstrom? Or do you think it'll be Markstrom/Clemmensen?

I was a bit surprised to see Clemmensen's numbers this year. He's been a pretty good backup in his career. What do you guys think is his main issue?

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:08 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Do you guys see Thedore being brought back next year to share the tending duties with Markstrom? Or do you think it'll be Markstrom/Clemmensen?

I was a bit surprised to see Clemmensen's numbers this year. He's been a pretty good backup in his career. What do you guys think is his main issue?
Our team defense has been awful. None of our goalies have been good but they've been put in positions where making a save is impossible.

I don't think Theo will be back. It will be Markstrom's starting job to lose with Clemmer as the backup. Unless Tallon can move Clemmer.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote