HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Canucks are in a tailspin

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 09:35 PM
ShouldveDraftedFiala

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budddy View Post
they have won Presidents trophy in the past because they play in a weak division...point total was inflated...
Every time someone says this it's been proven false time and time again, please just stop.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Already two attempts to spin this into a Hodgson thread.

The Canucks are not that talented. They work hard but there is no finish. There is no finish because there is no talent.

Canucks miss Ryan Kesler, especially on their special teams . The Canucks are noticeably weaker without him.

I am also seeing that our defense is over rated.
More like bieksa is badly underrated by our fanbase and HF boards. Without him our defense crumbles.

Kind of like hamhuis in the cup finals.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Ryp37

No secondary offense your not going to win a lot of games

Defense looks ridiculously average

still half a season left we'll see how it plays out

Old
03-10-2013, 09:37 PM
SHAR KS
Choking Hazard

Sharks are worse. Only 2 ROW in last 18 games. Want to trade coaches?

Old
03-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
What's wrong with Vancouver? Same as what's wrong with Washington. They overreacted to a playoff series loss and attempted to change the team's identity when it didn't need changing.
I will partially agree with this. Their powerplay has changed and now sucks. But that has nothing to do with why we lost to the Kings. Why change the PP. Stick Kassian in front of the net until Kesler comes back.

Put both Sedins down low and Put elder and Garrison -or even Ballard - on the point.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:38 PM
FrankAm89

The Canucks need to go grab a 2nd-line center and fast. Stephen Weiss would have been a perfect fit it's a shame he got hurt.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I will partially agree with this. Their powerplay has changed and now sucks. But that has nothing to do with why we lost to the Kings. Why change the PP. Stick Kassian in front of the net until Kesler comes back.

Put both Sedins down low and Put elder and Garrison -or even Ballard - on the point.
Wasn't talking about the loss to the Kings.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:39 PM
premadonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
What talent? Other then Sedins we got nothing.
They've been successful in the past with basically the same personnel, right?

Old
03-10-2013, 09:40 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAm89 View Post
The Canucks need to go grab a 2nd-line center and fast. Stephen Weiss would have been a perfect fit it's a shame he got hurt.
Gillis is getting greedy with Luongo and it's gonna bite him in the ass. Especially if he holds onto him after the trade deadline. Teams know the cap is dropping by 6 mil next season, so the offers for Luongo will only get worse in the summer

Old
03-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
Sharks are worse. Only 2 ROW in last 18 games. Want to trade coaches?
Rather have lindy ruff

Old
03-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
We're missing a Selke-winning centre and a top-pairing d-man...obviously we're underperforming.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Fire AV now.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:49 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
If the result today holds up, that's 3 wins in their last 12 games. Only 8 regulation wins all season.

This is not acceptable for a team with their talent. It's not even that different from last year's team, and that team won the President's Trophy. Fact is, this is one of the worst slumps this season from any team and I don't see them getting out of it unless serious changes are made. The core looks as lifeless as I've ever seen it.
top heavy team with mediocre depth, buncha money tied up in 2nd pairing D, and a goaltending situation that needs to be resolved

Old
03-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
It's time for a coaching change.
I'd like that. Can't stand the smug look on Alain Vigneault's face. Reminds me of Marc Crawford with Colorado, riding on the coattails of an extremely talented team.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Reign Nateo

I had a feeling they'd have a rough year, and they are. But there's no need to panic, if they can get healthy, Gillis can make some good moves (this team is needs a shake-up), and they can get into the playoffs, they have as good a shot as anyone.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:51 PM
timw33

Quote:
What's wrong with Vancouver? Same as what's wrong with Washington. They overreacted to a playoff series loss and attempted to change the team's identity when it didn't need changing.
Letting Ehrhoff walk and trading Cody for Kassian was a pretty clear indication of this. You are so spot on with this.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:53 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
top heavy team with mediocre depth, buncha money tied up in 2nd pairing D, and a goaltending situation that needs to be resolved
We've got great bottom 6 depth, the problem is they are all playing "key" roles in our top 6 right now. Letting Salo go appears to be a mistake, as was letting Ehrhoff and Mitchell walk.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
Haven't scored a powerplay goal in 8 or 9 games. That doesn't help.

The defence seems really suspect for the first time since.. I can't even remember... I think I'd have to go back to the early 2000's. At least 10 years.

And missing Kesler and not having Kassian, Booth, or Shredder step up and fill in the blanks has been a massive problem in terms of secondary scoring after the Sedins. Higgins, Hansen and Raymond are looking great, but it isn't just isn't enough.

Then you have the fact that we can't win in a shootout, because all of our players are terrible at it for some reason. With the 6 points we've lost in the shootout so far in only half the season, that makes a giant difference in the standings.

Everyone in Canuckland is blaming the coach, but I don't know...

Old
03-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
We're missing a Selke-winning centre and a top-pairing d-man...obviously we're underperforming.
The Senators are missing a Norris winning defenceman and a first line center and their starting goalie.

The Canucks look flat. The entire line up appears uninspired. They don't work hard, I don't get whoever said they did in this thread. They are soft on the forecheck and are losing puck battles like crazy. There is ZERO chemistry between the Sedins and everyone else on the PP. And further the Canucks PP has struggled all season and all season all the do is the slowest zone entry ever and if they do set up it's 90% Hank on the right faceoff circle trying to feed Daniel in the slot. The puck just stays there and the PK is just an aggressive push away from clearing the zone eaisly. Wash rinse repeat every PP.

The D are missing checks like crazy in front of the goal and the back check from Sedin and Lapierre is laughable.

This team does a TON of fly-bys the goal and miss opportunities to tap in pucks.

They start games constantly unprepared and uninspired. This is coaching. I think it's high time AV / Bowness / and Brown left for a fresh group.

This current play reminds me STRONGLY of the 07/08 Canucks where Naslund felt compelled to apologize to the crowd.

Very frustrating as a fan and the mud flinging from opposing fans is warranted. This team has something wrong and distracting behind the scenes.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:55 PM
sobrio

Quote:
Good food for thought, although injuries have played its part as well.

Old
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 0
They're in a tailspin, but as a fan of another team in the NW, I've watched them enough to say that they'll get out of it. Somehow they always do. Rather annoying.

Old
wiredmaverick

Quote:
I really don't think that's it.

My opinion:
1) Malhotra was one of the best #3Cs in the game before he got injured. We could match that line up against anyone, and did, which left our first two lines for pure offense
2) Ehrhoff's offense is really sorely missed, combined with Edler's tailspin it's really hurt our transitional game and our PP
3) Kesler was an offensive force the year that he won the Selke. That's been missed

The loss of Ehrhoff and Kesler has really hurt our PP as well, which was our bread-and-butter in 2010/2011.

Seriously. WTF has happened to Edler? It's like the Monstars stole his powers.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

our PP is dreadful without Kesler

Old
03-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Karter

Yeah there's a variety of problems but the main ones are definitely tied into coaching. I don't see how someone can say it's not coaching.

Get Vigneault the hell away from this team and ASAP. There's massive problems in the core but this team straight up looks uninspired. Even when they have a time out or something you never see those idiots behind the bench even remotely try to get the teams head out of its ass. They're just standing there hoping things will get better, trying the same crap they've been trying the last 3 years with a few different players.

If it takes not making the playoffs for some of these geniuses to get canned then so be it.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:57 PM
sobrio

Yes.. getting rid of the entire coaching staff will turn this boat around.. illogical thinking at it's best.

Closed Thread