HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

YOUR limit with Darcy?

Old
02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Royisgone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
With Ruff out of the picture, it's only a matter of time before Pegula realizes this roster -- and thus the GM -- is wearing no clothes.
This right here says it all. Just a question of what Pegula's personal clock is with regard to timing.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
...still waiting for this **** sandwich to get flushed.

03-10-2013, 09:50 PM
wyldthing89

My limit is minus 2 years

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:53 PM
PlamsUnlimited
Get in the Boat Pls

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
...still waiting for this **** sandwich to get flushed.
Assuming that dirty sandwich is the GM.

And to think I really did think... That the first day this year in FNC was the free scrimmage that something good was coming this year.

PlamsUnlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:07 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldthing89 View Post
My limit is minus 2 years
Yes, in hindsight (for me), this should have happened on day 1 of the Pegula era.

Best time to clean house is when new management arrives and takes over the show.

It has to be apparent to all that this wait and see/trial period has turned out to be a waste of 2 years.

Insanity = doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Karate Johnson*

I was done with Darcy in 2007 when he didn't mortgage the future to add a significant UFA vet leader for those playoff runs.

Karate Johnson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:19 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Yes, in hindsight (for me), this should have happened on day 1 of the Pegula era.

Best time to clean house is when new management arrives and takes over the show.

It has to be apparent to all that this wait and see/trial period has turned out to be a waste of 2 years.

Insanity = doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Yeah but if the team was going to be bad like they are now, firing the coach and gm during the start of the pegula era would have been less effective. they wouldnt be able to buy enough time to build the team. Since our problem was at center, Darcy did make adjustments for that position. It's just taking time

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
Yeah but if the team was going to be bad like they are now, firing the coach and gm couldn't be used to buy time to build the team. Since our problem was at center, Darcy did make adjustments for the position. It's just taking time
The problem runs deeper than Darcy Regier. Even Ruff said he was concerned about the lack of proven Center's after Roy was traded.

So we signed Hecht. It might be said that Ruff paid the price for both of those deals.

Pegula laid a pile of cash on the table and told Darcy to spend... and likely helped him spend it too. Some wisely, some unwisely. Almost like we had to show everyone we were serious about being big players in the UFA market.

Leino was penciled in at center as I recall.......

Just saying I didn't expect this level of cluster-**** from these guys either.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:39 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
The problem runs deeper than Darcy Regier. Even Ruff said he was concerned about the lack of proven Center's after Roy was traded.

So we signed Hecht. It might be said that Ruff paid the price for both of those deals.

Pegula laid a pile of cash on the table and told Darcy to spend... and likely helped him spend it too. Some wisely, some unwisely. Almost like we had to show everyone we were serious about being big players in the UFA market.

Leino was penciled in at center as I recall.......

It's hard to watch. I like the points that you make. I know that I was thrilled with grigorenko falling to 12 last year, because we havent drafted a player like him in a long time.He was the guy that seemed to play a bit like armia. We really need something to turn the franchise around.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 03-10-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I was done with Darcy in 2007 when he didn't mortgage the future to add a significant UFA vet leader for those playoff runs.
Here's your chance:

Just set the dial to "2007". Maybe you should make it "2006" just so they can up that lame offer to Briere.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:50 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
It's hard to watch. I like the points that you make. I know that I was thrilled with grigorenko falling to 12 last year, cause we havent drafted a player like him in a long time.He was the guy that seemed to play a bit like armia. We really need something to turn the franchise around.
Agree totally. The problem is we're currently stuck with the dates we brought to the dance.

And my God, when the lights were turned on, they turned out to be u...g....l...y!!!!!

Old
03-10-2013, 10:52 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Agree totally. The problem is we're currently stuck with the dates we brought to the dance.

And my God, when the lights were turned on, they turned out to be u...g....l...y!!!!!
Haha. that's great. You know that your in trouble when during games you find yourself reminiscing about max afinagenovs speed down the wing.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:01 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Maybe not to this degree, but I expected them to be bad.
I was dreading that it might be hidden by the shortened season, since the shorter period of time makes everything more volatile, but that thankfully didn't happen.
They've been average to bad for a few years and got worse on paper during the off-season.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:06 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

It's a tough call. Most dam(n)ing for me is his choices in who to extend and who to let walk, but I'm not sure we can ever know how much of that was the fault of Golisano and Quinn. And he certainly bears some of the blame for the team being what it is today. The number of bad contracts outweighs the number of good ones right now.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Royisgone

With each new pathetic outing like tonight, I believe more and more that Regier will not be around heading into next season.

The question then becomes: when is the right time to dump him?

Presumably we are all now waiting for trade deadline as the next big development in Sabres Land.

Should Darcy even be allowed to handle the trade deadline, if you are Pegula and you are thinking/knowing he will not be back next season?

When is the best time to dump him? Keep him for trade deadline, but nothing else?

If he is going to be fired, you don't want him operating as GM on Draft Day, do you?

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Yes, back in the day where Golisano wouldnt pony up another year to keep Tallinder. The lack of adding is all Darcy...

:joshjull:

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:59 PM
buffalowing88

Darcy has his flaws. He clearly hasn't had a "plan" to consistently build around in the last 4 years. That's a problem. With that being said, he has been a great GM in terms of getting VALUE for every trade and the majority of draft picks he had made. I would like him to be more of a big picture guy but he really isn't the reason this team sucks. He brings in talent and it just doesn't work. We bash Myers and rightfully so but he had to lock him up when he did. We bash Ehrhoff but when that signing occurred we were ecstatic. Even Leino was a proven player with big time playoff experience when we picked him up. I have no issue with Reiger. I have an issue with the players and the coaches.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:20 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Darcy has his flaws. He clearly hasn't had a "plan" to consistently build around in the last 4 years. That's a problem. With that being said, he has been a great GM in terms of getting VALUE for every trade and the majority of draft picks he had made. I would like him to be more of a big picture guy but he really isn't the reason this team sucks. He brings in talent and it just doesn't work. We bash Myers and rightfully so but he had to lock him up when he did. We bash Ehrhoff but when that signing occurred we were ecstatic. Even Leino was a proven player with big time playoff experience when we picked him up. I have no issue with Reiger. I have an issue with the players and the coaches.
Why did he have to lock up and overpay Myers? Why not have a bridge contract, I won't lie, I was ecstatic when he signed Myers to that contract, but I'm just a fan, he's a professional NHL GM and he should've known better.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:25 AM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Why did he have to lock up and overpay Myers? Why not have a bridge contract, I won't lie, I was ecstatic when he signed Myers to that contract, but I'm just a fan, he's a professional NHL GM and he should've known better.
You get a guy in his early 20's at what is most likely the most valuable position in hockey to sign a bridge contract and I'd gladly reconsider. I think Myers SUCKS...trust me I really hate him but at the time it was a good sign because Buffalo needs to lock up talent asap to stay with us and the guy has tremendous potential. Unfortunately he has the worst mental makeup I've ever seen. You can actually watch the guy get in a mental funk every time he makes a bad play.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:42 AM
sand1138man

Every player on the team is having their worst season as a pro.

Stafford is an absolute disgrace for a hockey player, and should immediately be let go. Yet we do not healthy scratch him or trade him, or waive him or do ANYTHING WHATSOEVER to discourage him from playing terribly. So in his defense, if he can sleepwalk through a career in the f**king NHL without having to put in any work, then why not? The only thing worse then having to watch him is knowing that he is going to get away with it.

It's hard to have a serious conversation about Darcy Regier's pro's and cons when we have players that have absolutely no passion for hockey, no drive, no energy, and no physicality being put i the line up night after night. Especially when there are guys that would die for a one game tryout in a sabres uniform.

I am sorry, but I have never built up such a hatred for a player and there LACK of anything useful on a pro sports team.

sand1138man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:50 AM
sand1138man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
With each new pathetic outing like tonight, I believe more and more that Regier will not be around heading into next season.

The question then becomes: when is the right time to dump him?

Presumably we are all now waiting for trade deadline as the next big development in Sabres Land.

Should Darcy even be allowed to handle the trade deadline, if you are Pegula and you are thinking/knowing he will not be back next season?

When is the best time to dump him? Keep him for trade deadline, but nothing else?

If he is going to be fired, you don't want him operating as GM on Draft Day, do you?
If Pegula had any shread of thought in his head that he may have to get a new GM, he would not have given him that extension. Based on what i'm reading, it seems like you are pretty confident that regier will be gone, but I just don't understand where this idea is coming from. Is there some article I havent read, or some development that I haven't heard that makes people think that there is any chance that Pegula is even thinking about considering making a GM change, cause signing that extension seemed more like a clue that they are not thinking that way.

sand1138man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:14 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1138man View Post
If Pegula had any shread of thought in his head that he may have to get a new GM, he would not have given him that extension. Based on what i'm reading, it seems like you are pretty confident that regier will be gone, but I just don't understand where this idea is coming from. Is there some article I havent read, or some development that I haven't heard that makes people think that there is any chance that Pegula is even thinking about considering making a GM change, cause signing that extension seemed more like a clue that they are not thinking that way.
Ruff recently signed an extension too, but he's no longer here.

They canned Ruff, who needed to go because the game has seemingly passed him by.
The results still haven't been there, so the next one to go should logically be the guy who put together this team.
Players need to be moved too, but why let the guy who is responsible for this mess make another one?

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:48 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1138man View Post
If Pegula had any shread of thought in his head that he may have to get a new GM, he would not have given him that extension.
NOT true.

Like, well, just about EVERYBODY, the common thought was that the Sabres would have a better team this season and the methodical march and build toward the Cup was on track.

That was then, this is now.

Like most fans, Pegula is likely in "WTF?" mode, as demonstrated by the firing of RUff---whom we all thought would eventually be stuffed and still be behind the bench. I also expect Darcy to be gone very soon, especially if the Sabres settle into their 28th-29th-30th position in the league for the rest of the season.

As much as Pegula has been criticized, I am reasonably sure he will have a lot less tolerance for this team's ranking than Tommy G. ever would have. Remember the way he lashed out after the Pens game last season? He was embarrassed personally. He's still that guy, just keeping a lid on it.

Darcy will be gone by summer. Maybe sooner.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
NOT true.

Like, well, just about EVERYBODY, the common thought was that the Sabres would have a better team this season and the methodical march and build toward the Cup was on track.

That was then, this is now.

Like most fans, Pegula is likely in "WTF?" mode, as demonstrated by the firing of RUff---whom we all thought would eventually be stuffed and still be behind the bench. I also expect Darcy to be gone very soon, especially if the Sabres settle into their 28th-29th-30th position in the league for the rest of the season.

As much as Pegula has been criticized, I am reasonably sure he will have a lot less tolerance for this team's ranking than Tommy G. ever would have. Remember the way he lashed out after the Pens game last season? He was embarrassed personally. He's still that guy, just keeping a lid on it.

Darcy will be gone by summer. Maybe sooner.
*raises hand*

I didn't think they'd be better than last year. They don't have a single center who can or should be playing the toughest defensive minutes. I thought they'd finish around 11th, so I didn't think they'd be this bad, but the writing was on the wall for those who wished to find it.

It's Darcy's time, and I think Pegula knows it's time to finish cleaning out the Regier-Ruff combo, and many of their disciples (Adams, Patrick, et al.), and allow the next GM to bring in his people. Our last game is Friday, April 26, and I suspect we'll hear the following day that Regier has been relieved of his duties.

Regarding the deadline, since I don't see the organization firing him until after the season, I think he'll be around with some oversight. My guess is that he simply does the obvious and trades his expiring contracts (Regehr and Leo, as well as Hecht and Sulzer if there are any takers), and does little else. I think the organization will want the next GM to make the decision on Miller, Vanek, and Pominville. Players of that ilk, with contracts going beyond this season, are more often traded in the offseason. It'll be the next GM's decision about with whom he wants to proceed.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:03 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
If you buy into the theory that Ruff likes certain types of players, I don't think you can hold Darcy 100% accountable for the roster construct.

Specifically the lack of leadership and strong voices, as per Paul Hamilton's report about Ruff not liking that type of player and recent reports about Rolston saying how "quiet" the team is. Darcy was feeding Ruff what he wanted. I prefer to see how this plays out with him and no Ruff input.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote