HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Canucks are in a tailspin

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
canuck4life16
Shinkaruk+Henrik=!!!

vCash: 50
get out this horrible slump and go 16-0 in the playoffs

Old
03-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
What? Hamhuis may not win a Norris but he is a top 5 defensive dmen and is pretty underrated as offensively. This guy is a rock.

They should have not resigned Edler and traded him. He would get a nice return from a team like Detroit. Even without Edler, their D still is pretty good. Bieksa is a capable #2.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENuck View Post
Wrong on every point son, you're trying too hard to troll.
It's a pretty good trolling effort, I thought! Kinda surprised no one has bitten, yet. Usually after a loss there would be a few nibbles...

Old
03-10-2013, 11:20 PM
sobrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
This is without a doubt the most overrated defense corps in the league. Every time I hear someone tout a mediocrity like Hamhuis as a norris contender I lol a little bit.

This is not a team stacked with talent. The Sedins are their only top line talent up front, and it's pretty clear that those 100ish point seasons were the fluke, and that they are PPG talents in reality. Their Dcorps is expensive but has no elite talent on it whatsoever. A collection of a few solid #2-4 guys, but nothing special.

And their depth is nothing to write home about, either.

Their trump card has always been goaltending, but their goalies aren't performing this year thanks to Gillis messiing with their heads real good.

And this is a team that needs that goaltending to be good.....if their goaltending is mediocre, that team is mediocre.

Based on history, their goaltending should improve, so they should still be a comfortable playoff team....but if it doesn't, they're a bubble team.
Umm nope. Two good goalies should be playing lights out when they get the chance to prove they're a number one, Gillis isn't doing anything. If he could change the situation I'm confident he would.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:20 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
If the result today holds up, that's 3 wins in their last 12 games. Only 8 regulation wins all season.

This is not acceptable for a team with their talent. It's not even that different from last year's team, and that team won the President's Trophy. Fact is, this is one of the worst slumps this season from any team and I don't see them getting out of it unless serious changes are made. The core looks as lifeless as I've ever seen it.
Sharks havd 2 regulation wins in 19 games.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

We're about halfway through the season and it's now official, I've seen all five team's boards in the NW division have meltdowns.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:22 PM
sobrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
get out this horrible slump and go 16-0 in the playoffs
I'd take it, anything is possible. I should add I also believe in unicorns.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
Sharks havd 2 regulation wins in 19 games.
Yup, and the Bolts are another example. They're on a 4-12-1 tailspin after a great start. Be thankful for the loser points nucks fans, I know I wish I could turn some of my teams regulation losses into OT/SOL's

Old
03-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Lundface

Quote:
This is without a doubt the most overrated defense corps in the league. Every time I hear someone tout a mediocrity like Hamhuis as a norris contender I lol a little bit.

This is not a team stacked with talent. The Sedins are their only top line talent up front, and it's pretty clear that those 100ish point seasons were the fluke, and that they are PPG talents in reality. Their Dcorps is expensive but has no elite talent on it whatsoever. A collection of a few solid #2-4 guys, but nothing special.

And their depth is nothing to write home about, either.

Their trump card has always been goaltending, but their goalies aren't performing this year thanks to Gillis messiing with their heads real good.

And this is a team that needs that goaltending to be good.....if their goaltending is mediocre, that team is mediocre.

Based on history, their goaltending should improve, so they should still be a comfortable playoff team....but if it doesn't, they're a bubble team.
If you actually believe this

The Sedins didn't fluke two seasons, neither was the teams offence some massive fluke. They had players that could play that system...they were actually a good team a few years ago as hard as it is for people to admit that. They were banged up badly in the playoffs and lost in the 7th game to Boston.

The real downfall as someone mentioned earlier was trying to change everything based on that. Less skilled team, dealing with injuries and some under performing players and this is the result.

Most Vancouver fans will agree this team right now isn't elite at all. But saying a team that had the most goals and best pp in the league was living off their goaltending makes you look mighty small. Give credit where credit is due

Old
03-10-2013, 11:24 PM
chugz

This team is past its prime. I think they'll miss the playoffs next season or the season after.

I bet Kesler returning won't change a thing.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:25 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Yup, and the Bolts are another example. They're on a 4-12-1 tailspin after a great start. Be thankful for the loser points nucks fans, I know I wish I could turn some of my teams regulation losses into OT/SOL's
Yeah, he said worst slump out of any team just shows he doesn't pay much attention around the league.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:25 PM
zeke
#freewilly

we've seen it before.

Sedin + Sedin

Naslund + Bertuzzi

Spezza + Heatley + Alfredsson

occasionally you get a season or two of magic in which the linemates click perfectly (usually thanks to a killer PP) and perform way above their heads, turning PPG type talents into 100+pt producers.

it happens.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Kershaw

They haven't been the same since Kesler was inserted in the lineup. I know he's not in right now, but they aren't playing with the same swagger they were before he was in. I might get bashed for this, but I think the Canucks should look at moving Ryan Kesler for an upgrade RHD.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Puckgenius*

Having an expensive blueline has eaten up their ability to have secondary scoring.

Booth has been a complete bust. All the tools in the world, no toolbox. Id move him this summer.

Also Raymond needs a change of scenery. Move him while he still is young and has value. His biggest asset is his speed and teams would be after him.

Old
Hero
The Corporal Returns

AV is the next head coach to go, or a goalie is traded.

Old
klozge
Avs

Avs will look good on top of the division after the coming week.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Lundface

Quote:
we've seen it before.

Sedin + Sedin

Naslund + Bertuzzi

occasionally you get a season or two of magic in which the linemates click perfectly (usually thanks to a killer PP) and perform way above their heads, turning PPG type talents into 100+pt producers.

it happens.
So since it happens that means its a fluke? And even so, as hard as it is for you to admit having those players play at that level means you HAVE A GOOD TEAM. The team had a Hart trophy, Art Ross, Selke, Jennings, Jack Adams. It was a good team. They had a stud offensive defencemen and a decent supporting cast.

This seasons team isn't so great, tons of guys performing poorly and average goaltending. They need a change badly

Old
03-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Winreims

Quote:
we've seen it before.

Sedin + Sedin

Naslund + Bertuzzi

it happens.
Can't argue with this. The Sedins are PPG players, but their play in 2009-10/2010-11 was at a whole different level than it was last year and so far this year. There is a window of opportunity for great teams to win a cup with a core group, and some could argue that window is closing in a hurry for them. That's not to say that they aren't a playoff team, because I'm sure they'll make it again this year.

Old
thegutter

Quote:
hamhuis has been awesome for the canucks, definitly not a mediocrity. had you said edler this year that would be correct.

Old
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENuck View Post
Wrong on every point son, you're trying too hard to troll.
He's not completely wrong. Canucks pipeline isn't impressive, Jensen stands out and very few others do outside of him. Their best goaltending prospect is a UFA signing, drafting wise, it's nothing to boast about. And the core is aging.

Sedins - 32 (33 later this year)
Burrows - 31 (32 later this year)
Kesler - 28 (29 later this year)
Bieksa - 31 (32 later this year)
Luongo - 33 (34 later this year)
Hamhuis - 30 (31 later this year)

Then you have guys like Schnieder, Hansen, and Edler all turning 27 this year.

These guys are in the later half of their prime, outside of Schnieder and Edler and the younger kids (Schroeder, Tanev and Kassian).

Old
03-10-2013, 11:36 PM
CanucksSayEh

Well at least we haven't pulled a San Jose...yet..

Old
03-10-2013, 11:39 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugz View Post
This team is past its prime. I think they'll miss the playoffs next season or the season after.

I bet Kesler returning won't change a thing.
This whole losing streak started when Kesler came back. Kesler will never come near that 40 goal season again. His body is falling apart more and more every season and the guy isn't even 30 yet.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Koffein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
What is going on with Kassian? After starting so great he only has 8 points.
Been saying it for years now- Zack live and die by his nickname.
Since Matt Kassian trademarked Kassassin, Zack was destined to bust.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:41 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
So since it happens that means its a fluke? And even so, as hard as it is for you to admit having those players play at that level means you HAVE A GOOD TEAM. The team had a Hart trophy, Art Ross, Selke, Jennings, Jack Adams. It was a good team. They had a stud offensive defencemen and a decent supporting cast.

This seasons team isn't so great, tons of guys performing poorly and average goaltending. They need a change badly
fluke may have been a bad word to use.

let's just say that I don't think the Sedins should be expected to be more than ppg-ish type guys going forward.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:41 PM
fools russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
What's wrong with Vancouver? Same as what's wrong with Washington. They overreacted to a playoff series loss and attempted to change the team's identity when it didn't need changing.
I don't agree with this.

I think the team tried to change their identity at around the half-way point last year when it was clear the league was starting to call the game differently.

The Kassian trade doesn't justify your point either; Hodgson had to be moved and Kassian was a target. Gillis imo has been trying to get big talented players for some time (offer sheeting Backes, the Bernier experiment, taking a chance on Oreskovich, Kassian). I think the Boston team that beat the Canucks is Gillis' ideal team, which probably made losing to them somewhat ironic for him.

Closed Thread