HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How bad of a passer is Berglund?

Old
03-10-2013, 04:45 AM
Nordic*

vCash: 500
How bad of a passer is Berglund?

12 goals and only three assists. He should at least get some assists on rebounds from shots, what's going on here?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
12 goals and only three assists. He should at least get some assists on rebounds from shots, what's going on here?
He's NEVER been an assist man. But this season, he's been looking to take the shot almost every rush. His linemates have been feeding him. He has a good, hard shot. His goals/assists will even out more as the season continues. So far,it's been better luck with his shots than those of his linemates.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:57 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Well, Berglund isn't a playmaker. He's got a good shot and plays a very strong two-way game, but he's definitely not nor has he ever been a playmaking center.

That said, this is the first year he's had fewer assists than goals. Probably an anomaly but at the same time, yeah, he's not the guy you're relying on to dish the puck. His offensive game is more using his bigger frame to shield and possess the puck on the cycle, and he's been going to the net with a lot more authority since a February game in Nashville last year, so he tends to get bounces off him and rebound goals. He has average to below average vision, but he plays hard and defensively responsible and now goes to the net with authority. I was part of a chorus complaining about his game the first half of last season, but he really turned it around once he began to introduce more force in his skating and forechecking.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:09 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

He's a fine passer. I can actually think of at least four terrific passes he's made this year that his linemate has flubbed or resulted in a brilliant save. All the regular stuff about his not being a set-up man applies, but he's not a bad passer in the slightest. He's just a better shooter and has had luck go for him in that regard and against him with playmaking.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Nordic*

I remember a few years back when he left Sweden, especially after an utterly dominant WJC. He went right through teams and scored seemingly at will, at times. I had him pegged as the next Mats Sundin, but I guess his upside is second line center at this point?

Old
03-10-2013, 05:39 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
I remember a few years back when he left Sweden, especially after an utterly dominant WJC. He went right through teams and scored seemingly at will, at times. I had him pegged as the next Mats Sundin, but I guess his upside is second line center at this point?
I snagged this from a post I previously made about Berglund stepping up his game and comparing him to players with a similar background and makeup:

Backes is another large guy who had to improve his skating. At the same age (as Berglund is right now), Backes jumped from 31 points to 31 goals, and it wasn't for another couple seasons that Backes became an elite defensive player - Berglund is already better overall than Backes was at the same age.

Perry is a large guy who isn't a gifted skater and he had already broken out, but he absolutely exploded when he was 25.

Swedes are also notoriously late bloomers. Ages when these guys became impact players in the NHL...
Alfredsson - 24
Zetterberg - 24/25
Franzen - 27
the Sedins - 25/26

It's not universal, but being Swedish and, more noteworthy, being a large player without great skating, 24 is the right age to look for all of the pieces to come together.
If you go back ten years, you can find even more examples of late-blooming Swedes and late-blooming large players without speed among the best forwards: Naslund, Bertuzzi, Glen Murray, Robert Lang.

That doesn't mean I think Berglund is headed for #1 center territory, but it's no surprise to me that he's now piling up goals and centering the Blues' most effective line. He was also very good in the playoffs, especially against the Sharks, and it's not uncommon that a player breaks out in the playoffs and makes that the new standard for his play. Giroux, OEL, Boedker, just as a few recent examples. My point is that the inclination to close the book on Berglund's development is hasty. Of course it's safer to say he'll never be a #1, but I wouldn't bet against it, either.

Last edited by rumrokh: 03-11-2013 at 12:42 AM.
rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Yoko Ono
Golf In May

Big soft player that can't pass at least he has a nice shot but once the playoffs begin and "if" the Blues can make it I look for Bergy to disappear once again. He is like Houdini.

Yoko Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:48 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

He's a much better shooter than a passer. I think when Bergie's not playing particularly well, it's usually when he's being too selfless. He will get in a good shooting zone, and then try to thread a perfect pass to a teammate. When Bergie's on, he's shooting from everywhere. His shot, along with his defensive prowess, are his biggest strengths. Not a terrible passer, just a very good shooter.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
Big soft player that can't pass at least he has a nice shot but once the playoffs begin and "if" the Blues can make it I look for Bergy to disappear once again. He is like Houdini.
He had 7 points in 9 games last playoffs and was one of our best forwards during the LA series.

He is finally going to the front of the net this season, and it is paying off. He doesnt have the skating ability to create space for playmaking, but no player is perfect.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Yoko Ono
Golf In May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
He had 7 points in 9 games last playoffs and was one of our best forwards during the LA series.

He is finally going to the front of the net this season, and it is paying off. He doesnt have the skating ability to create space for playmaking, but no player is perfect.
He was minus 1 with no points against the Kings and was invisible. It is a fact so don't hate.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:51 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
He was minus 1 with no points against the Kings and was invisible. It is a fact so don't hate.
Against San Jose he was great. If we judge every player off of the LA series, then they all suck.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Yoko Ono
Golf In May

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Against San Jose he was great. If we judge every player off of the LA series, then they all suck.
Ok I agree with your second sentence.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:25 AM
Nordic*

Another goal last night. 10-3, haha..

Old
03-11-2013, 01:36 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Another goal last night. 10-3, haha..
Are you talking about his goals and assists? If so, it'd be 13-3.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:03 AM
nihlify

I don't think he's a bad passer. I've watched him a lot when he first started to play for Västerås in Sweden and I've never felt he was a weak passer. It's not just his strong point, and it seems to have polarized more since he came over to the nhl.

nihlify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

His play-making is fine...but his shot is terrific. And when you're burying your own scoring chances there aren't opportunities to pick up assists from juicy rebounds. I'm surprised he hasn't stumbled into a few more assists off of Perron and Stewart goals, but if he continues the pace he's put up thus far I don' think anyone will complain about the lack of assists.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
His play-making is fine...but his shot is terrific. And when you're burying your own scoring chances there aren't opportunities to pick up assists from juicy rebounds. I'm surprised he hasn't stumbled into a few more assists off of Perron and Stewart goals, but if he continues the pace he's put up thus far I don' think anyone will complain about the lack of assists.
What he said....

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Yoko Ono
Golf In May

If he keeps scoring like this the Blues won't be able to afford him, imagine that.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:36 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
If he keeps scoring like this the Blues won't be able to afford him, imagine that.
I can't always count on the glass being half full with your analysis.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Oshie97

He doesn't really get chances to pass much, he's usually screening in front or the trigger man on the play. Who cares as long as he potting goals like the OT winner Saturday.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:43 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
On pace for 50 points, but that's not enough for some people.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:59 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Blues fans have such unreal expectations for the players. He is finally showing his 30 goal potential, but now he isn't setting up his teammates enough. Berglund is in to score goals, and he has been scoring in bunches this season. He has brought more consistency to his game this season and if he keeps it up, it makes the "want" for a center a lot less.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:02 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
He doesn't really get chances to pass much, he's usually screening in front or the trigger man on the play. Who cares as long as he potting goals like the OT winner Saturday.
It gives Perron a chance to be the center in the offensive zone and be a winger in the defensive zone, wheich is better suited for him. Where as Berglund seems to be more efficient as a winger in the offensive zone and center in defensive zone. Not a bad thing... Actually worked well with Schwartz too. Don't think Berglund gets enough credit. One of our key guys in my opinion. He does disappear from time to time, but I've yet to find anyone on this roster that doesn't....or that doesn't make themselves WAY TOO apparent...ha ha.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quite frankly I'm shocked he doesn't have more assists, especially with Stewart's play. Bergie is definitely a shoot first center, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's why Perron fits on that line. They needed a playmaker. I will never understand the hate he gets. I mean if you'd have told me we have gotten a big, two-way center capable of 25 goals and 50-60 points at number 25 I'd have been ecstatic. He is a bona-fide second line center. And I think he's still got a bit more offense to show.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
That's great now.

What happens if he paces for less than 40 points next year(just going off his up and down career)? Or disappears for 5 games not far down the road?

Berglund is fine for what he is: a 3rd line center. Another Michal Handzus(in terms of total points and other areas) as someone mentioned a week ago.

Don't try to make him into more than that. It is unfair to him. His skills just aren't that great to meet the expectations we all had for him when he was 18-21 years old.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote