HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Justin Faulk vs. Slava Voynov

View Poll Results: Who will be better in the future?
Justin Faulk 69 46.31%
Slava Voynov 73 48.99%
Can't decide 7 4.70%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-10-2013, 09:06 PM
GFS

vCash: 500
Justin Faulk vs. Slava Voynov

Who will be the better defenceman in the future?

GFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:57 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Wow, how the hell is Voynov winning this poll? He's a good top-4 guy, but Justin Faulk is a #1D. Jeez, kid's underrated.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Novacane
My Hero

Faulk. He's carried the defense on his back this season and will continue to improve and round out his offense.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:19 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Wow, how the hell is Voynov winning this poll? He's a good top-4 guy, but Justin Faulk is a #1D. Jeez, kid's underrated.
Not in LA...

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:42 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Faulk.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Voynov

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:57 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Voynov.

03-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Faulk.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
I won't pretend to be an expert on Faulk, as I've seen very little of the Canes this season. But I'd like your opinion on what makes Voynov a good top-4 guy and Faulk a #1D. Is it size? Speed? Hitting? Playing in all situations? Or is it the proverbial eyeball test?

I can only go off comparables on paper at this point. Both guys were early second round picks, Voynov in one of the deepest defensemen drafts in NHL history in 2008. HF projection of Faulk is 7.5B, Voynov at 8.0B. While it's true that Voynov is a second pairing guy in LA, that's where Faulk would be in our lineup at best. The Kings D is also better than Carolina's by a longshot, and that's with Quick having his worst season in his career coming off of back surgery.

I'm not disputing that Faulk has a brighter future than Voynov. I want to know what makes him better and a #1D, besides him being top pairing in Carolina, and Voynov a top-4 guy.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I really want to say Faulk because I absolutely love him and I have no particular desire to see the Kings succeed, but I have to vote Voynov here.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
MastuhNinks

Faulk the haters.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:32 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

I have no interest in Faulk. Voynov now and in the future

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
I won't pretend to be an expert on Faulk, as I've seen very little of the Canes this season. But I'd like your opinion on what makes Voynov a good top-4 guy and Faulk a #1D. Is it size? Speed? Hitting? Playing in all situations? Or is it the proverbial eyeball test?

I can only go off comparables on paper at this point. Both guys were early second round picks, Voynov in one of the deepest defensemen drafts in NHL history in 2008. HF projection of Faulk is 7.5B, Voynov at 8.0B. While it's true that Voynov is a second pairing guy in LA, that's where Faulk would be in our lineup at best. The Kings D is also better than Carolina's by a longshot, and that's with Quick having his worst season in his career coming off of back surgery.

I'm not disputing that Faulk has a brighter future than Voynov. I want to know what makes him better and a #1D, besides him being top pairing in Carolina, and Voynov a top-4 guy.
Faulk is better than any defensemen on the Kings minus Doughty. He's amazing defensively, so cerebral, smart stickwork, great positioning, smooth skating, great puck skills. He's just amazing at everything. Stylistically, Voynov and Faulk are similar defensemen, but Faulk just does everything better. He's 20 years old and he controls the game. By the proverbial eye test, he looks on another level.

The advanced stats back it up too, if that's what you're looking for. He plays against the hardest competition among Canes defensemen. He starts just 44% of his shifts in the offensive zone, by far the lowest besides Gleason at 42%. Whereas Voynov plays against second tier competition, and starts 57% of his shifts in the offensive zone. Faulk is a -7 Corsi, but if you adjusted if for zone starts it would be pretty even. And Voynov is a -2 Corsi despite starting so often in the offensive zone.

Faullk plays the most even strength minutes on the Canes, Voynov only plays the 3rd most, and I'm sure it would be the 4th most if Mitchell were healthy. Faulk plays the most SHTOI of Canes' D, Voynov only 4th most, again without Mitchell.

I recommend tuning in to some Canes games, not just for Faulk because they've got some really entertaining forwards, but Faulk's really, really good. My bold prediction is that he makes Team USA in 2014, and that he ends up playing a top-4 role.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:38 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Voynov.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I've liked Faulk for some time.

Very underrated.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:09 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Seriously, people saying Voynov, wanna enlighten me on why?

Old
03-11-2013, 08:16 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Faulk pretty easily. Much much higher ceiling and he looks to be the better player already.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:22 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Seriously, people saying Voynov, wanna enlighten me on why?
He is LA's best defenseman this season. More offensively gifted than Doughty, and the fasted skater on LA. Just a start though...

I won't pretend to know anything about Faulk because I don't watch him, but Voynov is LA's most dangerous defenseman, which says plenty.

17 points in 24 games and a +11 doesn't hurt either.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

It's Slava Voynov.

He's truly one of the best young D-men to have emerged in recent memory. I can't think of anyone going back 5 years (save for Doughty and Karlsson) who is as fundamentally sound as he is. Guys like Zach Bogosian and Alex Pietrangelo are all really talented, but Voynov is going to be a two-way beast for a long time to come and won't be truly recognized for it.

03-12-2013, 01:00 AM
keslerburrows

Oh come on. If LA had Faulk instead of Voynov they'd be nearly unstoppable. Voynov may do all the little things right (does he?) but whenever I've watched him he's been a non-factor. Which is normally a good thing as a D-man.. But when compared to Faulk, it definitely is not.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:25 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Oh come on. If LA had Faulk instead of Voynov they'd be nearly unstoppable. Voynov may do all the little things right (does he?) but whenever I've watched him he's been a non-factor. Which is normally a good thing as a D-man.. But when compared to Faulk, it definitely is not.
This is a good descriptor. Voynov is a very understated, steady player. But Faulk takes control.

I dunno, maybe I'm going overboard defending Faulk, but I've sort of adopted the Canes as my second team this year and it's criminal how few people talk about Justin Faulk.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:30 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Did you catch last years playoffs?

Old
03-12-2013, 02:39 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Did you catch last years playoffs?
Where he shut down such great second liners as...Mason Raymond and...Travis Zajac?

Voynov plays against 2nd liners and treads water. Faulk plays against 1st liners and treads water (though he limited Stamkos to zero shots in the first meeting between the 'Canes and the Bolts).

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:51 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Faulk, despite Voynov's awesome year

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:13 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Where he shut down such great second liners as...Mason Raymond and...Travis Zajac?

Voynov plays against 2nd liners and treads water. Faulk plays against 1st liners and treads water (though he limited Stamkos to zero shots in the first meeting between the 'Canes and the Bolts).
You should be required to read the quote before replying

Edit: How is having the second best +/- on a team that is top 8, or a top scoring defenseman (let alone first on his team in D scoring) treading water?

And I hardly doubt being a 2nd liner on a cup team is considered a symbolic reference to a players talent. Is Carter/Richards 3rd line centers? Like I said before, I'll refrain from commenting on Faulk as I don't watch him play. But Voynov is hardly "treading water". He is a big reason as to why LA is doing as well as they are.

Last edited by dabeechman: 03-12-2013 at 04:19 AM.