HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 02:03 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I want a change of system more than a change of goalie. I honestly don't think there are more than 2 or 3 guys that could goaltend for this team and bail them out of all their defensive shortcomings.

03-10-2013, 03:27 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I want a change of system more than a change of goalie. I honestly don't think there are more than 2 or 3 guys that could goaltend for this team and bail them out of all their defensive shortcomings.
This is accurate.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Whether Bryz is going to be here next year or not, I think it is pretty clear that we need a change of coach and system. It's pretty obvious that this completely offensive system is not going to work for us. If it didn't work in 2010 with that team (wow we were close though), its not going to work now.
This team played defense like a crazy in 2010 also.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Devastate

Played in a tournament this weekend, and won goalie of the tournament. Good news, I'll sign for 500k a year.

Let me know where the dotted line is

Old
03-10-2013, 06:20 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Played in a tournament this weekend, and won goalie of the tournament. Good news, I'll sign for 500k a year.

You're in luck. Homer will probably outbid himself and give you another $500k

Old
03-10-2013, 10:53 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post

Have you been waived at least once? Not interested otherwise.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:07 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Brayden Schenn played well tonight.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:00 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
then we would would have a certian few whining about not scoring enough goals.

i can think of a few goalies who would be sporting a save perventage higher then .899 on this team right now.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:36 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post

Brayden Schenn played well tonight.
Good hustle! (and he also saved a couple dozen posts on this thread)

:-D

Old
03-11-2013, 08:19 AM
flyingsouth

I like Bryz (clearly), but I think I like Bryz the guy more than Bryz the goalie. As a goalie he's too inconsistent and too expensive for what he is bringing to the table. If we could count on him to be psychologically stable enough to play regularly like he does when he is on, I'd be more than happy to keep him on board. But as it stands, I think he's too mentally fragile.

The system, our poor defence and him being overplayed do not help his cause, certainly, but I just don't have a lot of faith in him to be "the guy" when it comes to the crunch, unfortunately.

Not certain whether they should buy him out at the end of this season or give him a stay execution til the next, but I think it would probably be in the Flyers' best interests to buy him out unless he can put together a consistent run of strong play and finally prove he is worth what he is being paid.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:24 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
then we would would have a certian few whining about not scoring enough goals.

i can think of a few goalies who would be sporting a save perventage higher then .899 on this team right now.
Very few. That's my point. I don't know... I just think that the team defense and quality of shots being allowed regularly is horrible on this team. Sure, opposing teams have less shots because of the Flyers blocking them, but honestly, the shots the other teams do get are usually high percentage chances from in tight that are harder to stop as a goaltender. This is obviously just my opinion, I've watched most of the games and feel like I can make a hypothesis. People obviously feel otherwise.

I guess my point is I'm not sold on quantity of shots as a determinant of how well a defense is playing.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:11 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Very few. That's my point. I don't know... I just think that the team defense and quality of shots being allowed regularly is horrible on this team. Sure, opposing teams have less shots because of the Flyers blocking them, but honestly, the shots the other teams do get are usually high percentage chances from in tight that are harder to stop as a goaltender. This is obviously just my opinion, I've watched most of the games and feel like I can make a hypothesis. People obviously feel otherwise.

I guess my point is I'm not sold on quantity of shots as a determinant of how well a defense is playing.
Answer this straight up: if boosh started every game that bryz did, what would his save percentage be?

Old
03-11-2013, 09:23 AM
G Money

Quote:

i agree with you we give up so many odd man rushes and leave guys wide open in the slot it's crazy but bryz does let in a lot of soft goals

Old
03-11-2013, 09:27 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Answer this straight up: if boosh started every game that bryz did, what would his save percentage be?
It's hard to tell though, that's the thing. It could be similar, however, watching Boucher, it could be a LOT worse. I get where everyone is coming from with the cap hit and term, it isn't good for the play we've seen. My point is that I want a change of system. To me it seems like we could be plugging Lundqvist in there and still be losing these games, maybe by 1 goal less, but still losing.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:44 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
i agree with you we give up so many odd man rushes and leave guys wide open in the slot it's crazy but bryz does let in a lot of soft goals
Every goalie can let in soft goals and even someone mentioned a trade of Bryz for Miller... yet Miller let in much weaker crap that Bryz did. This whole Bryz thing really is starting to get at me though (all the hate on him, I mean).

Old
03-11-2013, 09:55 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Every goal surrendered by Miller was a softie by the "standards" applied to Bryz. Heck, if you watch the highlight shows on NHL Network, at LEAST four of every five goals is a "softie".

Old
03-11-2013, 10:12 AM
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Every goalie can let in soft goals and even someone mentioned a trade of Bryz for Miller... yet Miller let in much weaker crap that Bryz did. This whole Bryz thing really is starting to get at me though (all the hate on him, I mean).
i don't even blame bryz for the softies really i blame the hockey gods no matter who our goalie is he is jinxed there is no other explaination

Old
03-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Flyersfan139

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsouth View Post
I like Bryz (clearly), but I think I like Bryz the guy more than Bryz the goalie. As a goalie he's too inconsistent and too expensive for what he is bringing to the table. If we could count on him to be psychologically stable enough to play regularly like he does when he is on, I'd be more than happy to keep him on board. But as it stands, I think he's too mentally fragile.

The system, our poor defence and him being overplayed do not help his cause, certainly, but I just don't have a lot of faith in him to be "the guy" when it comes to the crunch, unfortunately.

Not certain whether they should buy him out at the end of this season or give him a stay execution til the next, but I think it would probably be in the Flyers' best interests to buy him out unless he can put together a consistent run of strong play and finally prove he is worth what he is being paid.
Is the buyout that every team has only valid this off season?

I think Bryz has been decent this year, if we buy him out who else are the Flyers going to get?

Old
03-11-2013, 11:41 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Every goal surrendered by Miller was a softie by the "standards" applied to Bryz. Heck, if you watch the highlight shows on NHL Network, at LEAST four of every five goals is a "softie".
of course most goalies have the kind of numbers that Bryzgalov has.
but its much easier to say Fire Lavy! its the coaches fault unless his name is John Stevens.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Hasek in his prime and... I think that's it.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:01 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Yeah well Ryan Miller also gets judged by league-wide metrics like "save percentage" that apparently don't apply to Bryz and the Flyers system.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Miller had an awful game last night. He tends to have awful games against Philly.

You know how Lundqvist is a brick wall against the Flyers? Miller has proven to be the anti-Lundqvist.

03-11-2013, 12:06 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
Is the buyout that every team has only valid this off season?

I think Bryz has been decent this year, if we buy him out who else are the Flyers going to get?
the 2 amnesty buy-outs can be used either this summer or next summer. So my guess is if Bryz doesn't turn it around next season, he'll be gone

Old
03-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Also, it has been shown on BSH and other sites that there is a very, very strong correlation between shot quality and shot quantity...to the point where shots allowed is a very good benchmark for scoring chances allowed. The more shots a team allows, the more scoring chances there are. The Flyers have done a pretty good job of preventing shots, and therefore scoring chances, to the tune of 26.9 SA/G...good for 6th in the league.

Yet they're 24th for GA per game. When all the stats that monitor defensive quality show the team is doing fine, yet loads of goals are going in, that's a goaltender problem.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

If Miller was playing for the Flyers and gave up those goals it would have been all the Defenses fault. I mean they let Gange get a breakaway, they let Talbot score a shorty, they let Giroux walk in. So it couldn't have been his fault going by the logic around here right?

Closed Thread