HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#BringBackBob

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 01:55 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i've seen two columbus games this year one with bob vs. dallas and the other with mason in net and they were insanely competitive both games. like dominated and had opponents pinned in their end for huge chunks of time. they don't have crazy flashy players but the moves they made for nash were definitely an upgrade in terms of overall team play. and jack johnson is a beast. dude plays like 27 minutes a game. point is their not schlubs. we are a discombobulated mess right now. were not even in the same realm.
Jack Johnson is a "beast" in terms of the amount of minutes he plays. As far as his play in the defensive zone... no. He's horrendous in his own end and always has been. If you want a comparable player, think Carle but with a better shot and playing more minutes. Carle was probably slightly better defensively though.

As far as the entire defense goes, when you watch 1-2 games, your eyes can deceive you; you can catch a team on a good night. Case in point, if the only Avs game you saw this year was the one against the Blackhawks, you'd think Varlamov is one of the best goalies in the NHL, Duchene must be leading the point race, and the Avs must be comfortably in the playoff race. All of those assertions would of course be false, but limited sample sizes can lead you to such ridiculous points of view.

Columbus's defense is bad. Bob had to make 30 saves to get his first shutout. That's a terrible amount of shots to allow for a team that was allegedly playing good D. And yes, I know you still don't believe me, but shots on goal do correlate highly to scoring chances and goals scored.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:23 AM
flyingsouth

Should never have gotten rid of him in the first place. Don't see us being able to bring him back either. :/

Old
03-11-2013, 12:51 AM
DrHamburg

He shouldn't have been traded in the first place. Problem was he needed a regular starter role to have proper development. But before we trade for him back, I'd like to see a bigger sample size. If you do not include his past 5 games he hasn't even played like an average goalie.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:02 AM
MP92

Im pretty excited to see how Stolarz turns out.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:26 AM
Flyerfan4life

dam Bob looked good tonite.

he might not be a Flyer now but its still nice to see him having success.

oh and star of the week..

grats again Bob...

Last edited by Flyerfan4life: 03-11-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 01:40 AM
CyborgLindros

I didn't quote it but I'd take Hotlby or Neuvirth over Bob. One could probably be had. Hotlby just signed an extension so it'd probably be Neuvirth.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:11 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Please tell me you are not saying Columbus defense of

Johnson-Tyutin
Erixon-Aucoin
Nikitin-Prout

is better than the Flyers??
the Flyers have better defense on paper then many teams, but most teams are structurally sound in what they do on team defense. Unlike the Flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
I didn't quote it but I'd take Hotlby or Neuvirth over Bob. One could probably be had. Hotlby just signed an extension so it'd probably be Neuvirth.

Im sure Nuevirth will be dealt at the deadline. They have a kid in Hershey(lost on his name right now) who can fill in pretty well as a backup. He has been in just one game and that was Sunday since early Feb and has been battling injuries and has been inconsisant himself this season. I wouldnt give up anything for him right now.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 03-11-2013 at 02:48 AM. Reason: wouldnt, not would LOL
Old
03-11-2013, 02:35 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Please tell me you are not saying Columbus defense of

Johnson-Tyutin
Erixon-Aucoin
Nikitin-Prout

is better than the Flyers??
Yeah, see, there's a problem, though. The Blue Jackets have one point less than we do in one game less, and they've allowed 10 less goals. I mean, sure, you might say it's due to goaltending, but maybe, just maybe it's not all in how it looks on paper.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:24 AM
spudnick

I would love to have Bob back, I honestly dont think there is one starter an 90% of the back ups that I wouldn't take instead of the pile of horse manure we have as our starter. This is bar FAR the worse contract we have EVER given out and it's really not even close.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:40 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
Caps know Hotlby is the potential long term G of their future. They won't let him go.

I want nothing to do with Neuvie.

Grubauer has looked very, very good this season with Hershey.

Maybe we could trade for him.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:29 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, see, there's a problem, though. The Blue Jackets have one point less than we do in one game less, and they've allowed 10 less goals. I mean, sure, you might say it's due to goaltending, but maybe, just maybe it's not all in how it looks on paper.
It's also worth noting that he didn't take Wisniewski into account there, who is injured. He's no slouch.

Johnson - Tyutin
Wisniewski - Murray
Erixon - Nikitin

as well as having John Moore, Cody Goloubef, David Savard in the pipeline... I'm envious of their D. I have liked Tyutin for a long time and feel like he is one of the more underrated Dmen in the NHL.

03-11-2013, 10:48 AM
skoods

I don't think Bob was or is the answer. He really struggled last year and is thriving on the lessened expectations in Columbus.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:25 AM
SilkyMitts

bryz for bob straight up

if it were ever realistic

Old
03-11-2013, 12:04 PM
SilkyMitts

Old
03-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Devastate

I'm the biggest Bob fan on the planet and would love to have him back. Unfortunately, i believe that ship has sailed.

He's doing really well right now, and i think this Columbus team can grow into competitors with their young talent and Bob backstopping them.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Flyersfan139

There is no way they are giving up Bob now. I can't believe the Flyers let him go. Look at the trash we have behind Bryz now....

Ugh

Old
03-11-2013, 12:59 PM
cheesesteak

I really like Bob but he's not coming back for what we'd have to pay now. What I don't get is why the f do they keep bringing back Bouch/Leighton it's like they wanna keep a bad goalie culture. I said Bob would prove he can be a good starter in the season predictions thread. He's got all the tools IMO to be better then Bryz when it's all said and done.

I wish Homer didn't overreact after the 2011 playoffs... I also wish Lavy didn't overreact in the 2011 playoffs and bench Bob for Bouch/Leighton after how many games? He would of been perfect to grow with the young team too but I guess Homer thought he was in win now with Pronger and Homer probably wasn't sure there would be amnesty.

Did they use the Bob pick on Stolarz? Hopefully he turns out pretty good.

If I see Leighton or Bouch in a Flyers jersey after this season I may lose it.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Caps know Hotlby is the potential long term G of their future. They won't let him go.

I want nothing to do with Neuvie.

Grubauer has looked very, very good this season with Hershey.

Maybe we could trade for him.
The Caps seem to have some talent for finding goalies.

03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I really like Bob but he's not coming back for what we'd have to pay now. What I don't get is why the f do they keep bringing back Bouch/Leighton it's like they wanna keep a bad goalie culture. I said Bob would prove he can be a good starter in the season predictions thread. He's got all the tools IMO to be better then Bryz when it's all said and done.

I wish Homer didn't overreact after the 2011 playoffs... I also wish Lavy didn't overreact in the 2011 playoffs and bench Bob for Bouch/Leighton after how many games? He would of been perfect to grow with the young team too but I guess Homer thought he was in win now with Pronger and Homer probably wasn't sure there would be amnesty.

Meh. Hindsight is 20/20. Bob had an atrocious year followed by an equally if not more atrocious playoffs. The Flyers had Bryz long term. I would wager 99% of the teams in the NHL would have done the same thing. If you don't, you risk either losing him for nothing, or trading him for less than you could have traded him for. Risk vs. reward. Imagine the outrage if Bob walked for nothing when his contract was up..."WHY DIDN'T HOMER TRADE HIM EVERYONE KNEW HE WOULDN'T RE-SIGN HERE!!!!" Or the outrage if they hung on to him and he continued to suck this year..."OMG WHY DID THEY HANG ON TO THIS GOALIE HE HAD SUCH A BAD YEAR LASTYEAR WE ALL KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE THE SAME THIS YEAR!"

Old
03-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Meh. Hindsight is 20/20. Bob had an atrocious year followed by an equally if not more atrocious playoffs. The Flyers had Bryz long term. I would wager 99% of the teams in the NHL would have done the same thing. If you don't, you risk either losing him for nothing, or trading him for less than you could have traded him for. Risk vs. reward. Imagine the outrage if Bob walked for nothing when his contract was up..."WHY DIDN'T HOMER TRADE HIM EVERYONE KNEW HE WOULDN'T RE-SIGN HERE!!!!" Or the outrage if they hung on to him and he continued to suck this year..."OMG WHY DID THEY HANG ON TO THIS GOALIE HE HAD SUCH A BAD YEAR LASTYEAR WE ALL KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE THE SAME THIS YEAR!"
Once again, you resort to hypothetical dramatics. Neither of those would happen. First of all, why would Bob walk? When have the Flyers let anybody walk that they wanted to keep?

Why would anybody be pissed if he's struggling? Lots of developing goalies struggle, and we've known for a long time that Bob doesn't do the backup role well and needs starts, both to stay warm and get experience. After he struggled last year there wasn't any of that outrage.

You really need to accept that sometimes, Homer has truly earned the criticism thrown at him. It isn't all unreasonable, knee jerk reactions. Hell, much of it is pretty well thought out.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Cardds

Quote:
agreed. and don't forget our longstanding bad omen with trying to have a franchise goalie

Old
03-11-2013, 01:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post

Yes they did...

They better hope he turns into a legit goalie prospect...supposedly he is about 4-5 years away. However with the Flyers they always paint themselves in a corner and unlike the Devils they rush development of players then sour on them when they are 20 years old (cough cough Couturier)!!!! I see Stolarz being rushed..no way he is allowed to develop for 4 to 5 years just like Bob wasn't allowed to develop properly here b/c we botched the goalie position for years and panicked and got Bryz and now have to stick with him for better or for worse. Yeah and it doesn't help matters when you keep recycling trash like Boosh and Leighton...

Quote:
Little went on to add that goalies usually take longer to develop into NHL caliber talent, but the Flyers are very high on Stolarz and can see him blossoming quicker than most – which is why they took him in the second round – with the draft pick acquired from Columbus in the trade for Sergei Bobrovsky.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Yeah, Homer routinely puts the team in a position where they need to scramble for some sort of goaltending solution. That means any prospects in the system are likely getting rushed up before they're ready. I would also be surprised if they develop Stolarz the right way.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Once again, you resort to hypothetical dramatics. Neither of those would happen. First of all, why would Bob walk? When have the Flyers let anybody walk that they wanted to keep?
Haha. This is an interesting response. So you either think:

a) he would have signed here, to be a backup and get backup money (which would be good, but we both know is unlikely because he made it clear he wanted to be a starter and I also think he would have gotten a look from other teams to be a starter);

b) he would have signed here to be the starter for starter money (which is unlikely); or

c) he would have signed here to be backup up starter money (which most likely would have been the only realistic option given the circumstances, at which point I think we both know that everyone would complain that he was overpaid and he should have been traded or let go).

Quote:
Why would anybody be pissed if he's struggling? Lots of developing goalies struggle, and we've known for a long time that Bob doesn't do the backup role well and needs starts, both to stay warm and get experience. After he struggled last year there wasn't any of that outrage.
That's true. If there is one thing Flyers fans on HFBoards are known for it is their patience, especially with goalies.

Give me a break. If he put up similar numbers in year three that he did in year two, you are honestly going to tell me that people would be ok with that and wouldn't be talking about trading him while he still has value etc? If that is what you are saying it is very apparent that you are simply not willing to admit anything that isn't in line with your thoughts on Homer.

Quote:
You really need to accept that sometimes, Homer has truly earned the criticism thrown at him. It isn't all unreasonable, knee jerk reactions. Hell, much of it is pretty well thought out.
He absolutely has earned criticisms. I agree with a lot of them. I think Bryz's contract is bad. I think Timonen's extension is too much money. I think he overpaid for Kubina. I think the backup goalie situation is a glaring problem. I can go on and on. But I am not going to criticize every move just because that is what everyone on HFBoards is doing. Trading Bob was pretty much the only option. He got pretty good value for a guy coming off as bad a performance as you pretty much can have as a goalie. I am not entirely sure what else there is to say about this other than what is written above.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:26 PM
cheesesteak

Quote:
What do you mean Bobrovsky had a atrocious year? He had 54 games played with a a .915 sv% as a rookie playing his first season in North America. Then he had a bad playoffs but was never really given a chance to redeem himself. Look he was not even much worse then Bryz last season but he barely got any starts in the 2nd half when the defense was better and that's where Bryz redeemed himself. Also like I said this was the off season predictions for this season thread where I said Bob would prove he can be a starter so I don't get hindsight is 20/20.

I do get trading him because Homer has Bryz signed a eternity, there was no amnesty at the time, and a 2nd was a good return considering all that.

Closed Thread