HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013, 2nd overall, Florida) III

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Kulleroinen*
Oilers!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Why? This guy represents white and blue, not yellow and blue =)
Naturally because I am certain that he will cause similar headaches to Sweden as Sundin did for Finland.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Oan

One primary assist for him today, and Tappara practically clinched playoff spot. 4 regular season games left.

I suspect he will end up being either 8th (which he is atm) or 9th in the scoring race of the whole league, unless he goes on some absolute tear.

Old
03-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Loffer

Not bad, not bad at all. He will get around 50 points this season.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:53 PM
thomast

Barkov stated in a interview that he still uses most of his sparetime in a outdoor rink playing with other kids and practising shootouts despite having superstar status in Finland and FEL. Tells about his passion for the game and his will to become an better player. Very nice to see him being very humble and down to earth especially considering his status. I hope that those young kids will get fire to become star and learn from Barkov.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Barkov stated in a interview that he still uses most of his sparetime in a outdoor rink playing with other kids and practising shootouts despite having superstar status in Finland and FEL. Tells about his passion for the game and his will to become an better player. Very nice to see him being very humble and down to earth especially considering his status. I hope that those young kids will get fire to become star and learn from Barkov.
Just like Selanne back in the days @Manitoba =)

Old
03-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Oan

Primary assist for him tonight, though it was a weird one He was about to score himself when he somehow managed to tap the puck away from the goal-line himself to Nieminen, who then scored. 52 games 48 points.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:15 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Primary assist for him tonight, though it was a weird one He was about to score himself when he somehow managed to tap the puck away from the goal-line himself to Nieminen, who then scored. 52 games 48 points.
It was wierd. It was going to the goal but somehow it went to the backhandside and Barkov basically blocked his own goal from the goal line. Unlucky but Nieminen was able to put that puck in the net after that. After that goal people were joking that Barkov did it on purpose to give Nieminen an goal because he haven't been able to score for long time typical finnish joke.

48points and 2 games left. Interesting if he can crack the 50 point mark.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:08 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
After that goal people were joking that Barkov did it on purpose to give Nieminen an goal because he haven't been able to score for long time typical finnish joke.
Finnish humour is surely not that bad...

Old
03-09-2013, 09:44 AM
thomast

Barkov just had an assist when Nieminen deflected it in the net. 49 points so far and the first period just started. 1 point more till 50!

Last edited by Redwingsfan: 03-11-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: QDP
Old
03-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Haite
x

Quote:
Barkov just had an assist when Nieminen deflected it in the net. 49 points so far and the first period just started. 1 point more till 50!
Ville Nieminen 0-1 (Olli Palola, Dale Clarke) according to sm-liiga.fi

Old
03-09-2013, 11:27 AM
DK28

Quote:
Still he is 17 year old against FEL team and players. You're right that Ilves is an mess but that is impressive even against CHL teams. Did i compare him to Malkin? That play was very Malkin like thats all. How about his speed? Does he look fast just because of Ilves? If he skated like that against Jokerit would it be below average? You guys just can't deny that he looks very good skater in that clip regardless of opposition. Not
just speed wise but in agility aswell. We have to remember that he is 17 year old and 6'3 210ish lbs. I think that Barkov is very underrated skater. He doesen't seem to skate at full speed very often because he positions himself very well. But when he does he can suprise. Just compare that skating to last year. MAJOR difference. With that kind of developement he'll be good/very good skater after next summer.
I think he has a effortless quality to his game, like things come easier for him. You hear quarterbacks describe it as the game slows down for them, so they are able to make the right decisions and plays. It seems effortless. And Barkov seems to be at the right place at the right time, always around the puck. I think he skates very well for a big and skilled guy. Jagr anyone?

Old
03-11-2013, 01:45 AM
VerySuperFamous

Not having seen prime Forsberg, or being able to see much of Barkov living in Canada. Is the Barkov/Forsberg comparison close, with Barkov possibly being more of a goalscorer? Because a lot of Forsberg's game(strong, great defense, great hands) also seems to be a part of Barkov's.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:58 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySuperFamous View Post
Not having seen prime Forsberg, or being able to see much of Barkov living in Canada. Is the Barkov/Forsberg comparison close, with Barkov possibly being more of a goalscorer? Because a lot of Forsberg's game(strong, great defense, great hands) also seems to be a part of Barkov's.
Having not seen Forsberg in his prime, wouldn't that comparison be pretty useless?

Old
03-11-2013, 02:26 AM
VerySuperFamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Having not seen Forsberg in his prime, wouldn't that comparison be pretty useless?
It would give me a better idea of Forsberg. Plus I should've said not enough to judge, saw a few games near the end of his prime but wasn't really interested in hockey, and didn't really pay much attention.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:01 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySuperFamous View Post
Barkov has more frame 6'4 210 lb at least, for 17 years old that's awfully lot, nobody knows which kind of player he'll finally be after he stops growing. At the time he is not nearly as explosive or gritty Forsberg was - prime or not. My guess how they'll end to be

Mats Sundin like.. Alexander Barkov
Peter Forsberg like.. Elias Lindholm

His skillset, physics and overallplaying is phenomenal, lacking explosiveness is really only minus. One thing to consider when making those comparisons, the guy is actually a russian not fin or swede! I believe nearest type of players should be looked there.

Last edited by behemolari: 03-11-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 04:55 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by behemolari View Post
Barkov has more frame 6'4 210 lb at least, for 17 years old that's awfully lot, nobody knows which kind of player he'll finally be after he stops growing. At the time he is not nearly as explosive or gritty Forsberg was - prime or not. My guess how they'll end to be

Mats Sundin like.. Alexander Barkov
Peter Forsberg like.. Elias Lindholm

His skillset, physics and overallplaying is phenomenal, lacking explosiveness is really only minus. One thing to consider when making those comparisons, the guy is actually a russian not fin or swede! I believe nearest type of players should be looked there.
6'4 might be pushing it. He is something about 6'3.5 and 210+lbs. He is thick and bulky as hell for that height even if we take his age out of the question. Barkov can be big riser at the combine. He is physically beast, in amazing shape, still maturing up, getting stronger and bigger. It's fun to see how much hype there will be after the combine. I'm sure that Barkov will create BIG buzz. I know that people know that he is big and strong kid for 17 year old kid but that is only the tip of the iceberg...

Old
03-11-2013, 05:12 AM
behemolari

Quote:
6'4 might be pushing it. He is something about 6'3.5 and 210+lbs. He is thick and bulky as hell for that height even if we take his age out of the question. Barkov can be big riser at the combine. He is physically beast, in amazing shape, still maturing up, getting stronger and bigger. It's fun to see how much hype there will be after the combine. I'm sure that Barkov will create BIG buzz. I know that people know that he is big and strong kid for 17 year old kid but that is only the tip of the iceberg...
honestly I didn't, heard some guy at somewhere when jogging saw he has grown to full 6'4 height.. seriously put, would love to see Jones, Nihcuskin & Barkov in the same picture ..hey maybe even same team, talkin about BJ

Last edited by behemolari: 03-11-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 10:04 AM
thomast

Quote:

Nah, he passed it on purpose because Nieminen was on slump

But look at his quality of passes... That is the reason why they can move the PK formation and confuse them. It's huge help on PP and defensemen can make quick decisions and move it up quickly after receiving fast, accurate high quality pass on the tape. Simple and effective which will work in NHL aswell. I've always pumped up quality of his passes, it's just incredible. He can pass very well with the backhand aswell as you can see in the last pass

Last edited by thomast: 03-11-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old
03-12-2013, 06:48 AM
JJTT

Barkov will be a healthy scratch for tonight's game vs Pelicans. It's great that he will get some rest before the playoffs (Tappara's first game is on 20.3).

Old
03-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Oan

Bleh, would have loved to see him try crack that 50 points...oh well.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:32 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
Barkov will be a healthy scratch for tonight's game vs Pelicans. It's great that he will get some rest before the playoffs (Tappara's first game is on 20.3).
Barkov doesen't play because he is sick today(fever).

Old
03-12-2013, 08:23 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Barkov doesen't play because he is sick today(fever).
there's surprisingly many key players of teams in flu today

Old
03-12-2013, 08:47 AM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by behemolari View Post
there's surprisingly many key players of teams in flu today
yeah whatever flu or not good thing he gets some rest

Old
03-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Oan

So, we can then sum up his regular season:

9th in scoring with

53gp 21g 27a 48p (=0,90ppg) +18 and only 8 penalty minutes

SM-Liiga scoring record for a 17-year old. One of the most complete 2-way players in the whole league.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
So, we can then sum up his regular season:

9th in scoring with

53gp 21g 27a 48p (=0,90ppg) +18 and only 8 penalty minutes

SM-Liiga scoring record for a 17-year old. One of the most complete 2-way players in the whole league.
Nice benchmark for future talent.

Closed Thread