HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Mcdonagh vs Subban

View Poll Results: Who is better overall?
PK Subban 154 64.17%
Ryan Mcdonagh 86 35.83%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-11-2013, 12:48 AM
Mrb1p

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Rangers fan saying it's Subban. It's close, but not extremely close. Definitely give Subby the edge for now. He's much more dynamic offensively (though I expect McD has more to offer in that regard; unsure if he'll ever put it to use), not terribly far behind defensively and all around excellent. McDonagh is great too; they would make a hell of a pairing.
Shut it please

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:27 AM
Yanstar274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You haven't watched Subban then.

He's just not that kind of player, anymore. Do you know who's Subban partner ? Which pairing gets the top line you think ? Markov-Emelin, Bouillon-Scrub or Gorges-Subban? P.K. is elite at defense because he can skate with everyone and can go in the corners with everyone.
Has a Habs fan, I admit that Subban is still taking risks and makes bad decisions sometime, probably more often than MCD.

It's a very close one but gotta got with Subban's upside. Watching him play, i really really think, he can still give a little bit more and under Michel Therrien, he can only progress defensively...But i agree that the fact that Subban is flashier helps him win the poll, can't wait to see wich one is going to have the best career but I don't think any of these 2 guys is going to be significantly better than the other.

Yanstar274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:33 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanstar274 View Post
Has a Habs fan, I admit that Subban is still taking risks and makes bad decisions sometime, probably more often than MCD.

It's a very close one but gotta got with Subban's upside. Watching him play, i really really think, he can still give a little bit more and under Michel Therrien, he can only progress defensively...But i agree that the fact that Subban is flashier helps him win the poll, can't wait to see wich one is going to have the best career but I don't think any of these 2 guys is going to be significantly better than the other.
He has a whole 10 giveaways this season. That's roughly half a giveaway per game. Compare that to Letang who's got 30 or even Chara who's got 19. Subban had 88 giveaways in 81 games last year, that's more than a single one per game. It's because he used to be the type to take all kinds of unnecessary risks that led to turnovers. He never was bad defensively, just trying to do to much and it would bite him in the rear. Now he takes risks but they seldom turn against him. He's improved in pretty much EVERY area.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Yanstar274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
He has a whole 10 giveaways this season. That's roughly half a giveaway per game. Compare that to Letang who's got 30 or even Chara who's got 19. Subban had 88 giveaways in 81 games last year, that's more than a single one per game. It's because he used to be the type to take all kinds of unnecessary risks that led to turnovers. He never was bad defensively, just trying to do to much and it would bite him in the rear. Now he takes risks but they seldom turn against him. He's improved in pretty much EVERY area.
Yes he's improved but as a habs fan myself who watched every single game, I dont qualify Subban as elite defensevely. Don't think he's bad either but i think he's average. The fact that he is a physical defenseman tend us to believe that he is better than he actually is. Go watch MCD and you will se that Subban ain't there yet. Never said he won't progress but from my perception, MCD is better defensevely and will continues to progress to. I am not the homer type of fan, i try to be impartial when i post in a thread. And i still think that Subban brings more to the table.

Yanstar274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:57 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanstar274 View Post
Yes he's improved but as a habs fan myself who watched every single game, I dont qualify Subban as elite defensevely. Don't think he's bad either but i think he's average. The fact that he is a physical defenseman tend us to believe that he is better than he actually is. Go watch MCD and you will se that Subban ain't there yet. Never said he won't progress but from my perception, MCD is better defensevely and will continues to progress to. I am not the homer type of fan, i try to be impartial when i post in a thread. And i still think that Subban brings more to the table.
You're not being impartial, you're being painfully wrong. So you think Subban is just as good defensively as your average NHL defenseman? Sorry, that's blasphemy. You can check the advanced stats if you like, he was one of the most effective defensive top pairing Dmen last season. Watch how he shields the puck and how he creates space between him and the opposing players when he dumps and chase. Watch how he completely blocks rushes and forces forwards to dump the puck to some random place, watch how he uses his stick to break plays. He also lays big hits much less this season than he used to, he simply uses his body and strength more effectively. You're being completely unrealistic suggesting he's just ''average''. He's pretty damn good on the defensive side of the game. Stats and play prove it.

Edit: Again, I'll say it. Subban was never bad defensively. His problem, especially in his first season was that he did too many tricks with the puck. He would then sometimes lose control of it or just create a dumb play. He toned down in his second season and it almost disappeared now. That's where the ''bad defensively'' opinions came from. They would see him try to impress everybody, only to see his own moved turned against him. All Montreal fans and many neutral fans agreed that he was pretty good defensively in his second season. In this season, he's even better so no, he isn't just average. If he is, your standards for average are way too high.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:03 AM
LyricalLyricist

Hate this poll. Constantly re-done.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:55 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
Subban. Not even close.

McDonagh isn't even better defensively.
Subban is probably one of the most complete dman in the league right now. Heavy shot, big hit, good solid play defensively.

Rob Blake upside.
and bolded is too freaking funny.

And people wonder why PK gets hated on

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:19 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

defensively mcdonagh is a lot better AINEC. he is one of the best skaters on the back end in the league and is developing the offense and improving constatnly. def close. subban is better right now because of the offense and his shot, mcdonagh has a higher top end imo

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:02 PM
bdawg1989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
defensively mcdonagh is a lot better AINEC. he is one of the best skaters on the back end in the league and is developing the offense and improving constatnly. def close. subban is better right now because of the offense and his shot, mcdonagh has a higher top end imo
You could have said that McDonagh is the safer bet, but come on you're talking about upside here ??? Really ?

It's Subban AINEC. You cannot teach his level of offense, but Defense can be taught.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
You got it wrong...
Subban is elite at skating.
Subban is still developping his offense.
Subban is better right now (Yeah you got it !)
Subban has the higher ceiling.
Defensively, its close.

The only part where Subbans and Mcdo's game come close is about their skating and their defense. Subban gets the nod in all the other categories.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Subban for me. I really like McDonagh, but PK's unique skillset is very hard to find. McDo is better defensively, but I don't ever see him putting up the same offensive numbers as PK.

If not for Gainey/Gauthier, they'd be our first pairing right now. These two would compliment each other perfectly

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:41 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
And it will be re-done forever because of the context.

Rangers got a good one, they were never destined to play together, would have been too much of a force.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:45 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Would have been a hell of a 1st pairing for the next decade.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
Would have been a hell of a 1st pairing for the next decade.
Can still happen if Bergevin is brave enough to make an offer sheet.

I doubt it though and I think the Rangers would match even if it did happen.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You got it wrong...
Subban is elite at skating.
Subban is still developping his offense.
Subban is better right now (Yeah you got it !)
Subban has the higher ceiling.
Defensively, its close.

The only part where Subbans and Mcdo's game come close is about their skating and their defense. Subban gets the nod in all the other categories.
Don't over simplify. I agree with a lot of what you're saying but don't sell McDonagh short. Both have elite skating. McDonagh he's terrific size and strength and has at least as good of a physical game as Subby. Subban has the open ice hits but McDonagh is dominant in the corners and along the walls. Subban is very good there, but I don't think he's got McD beat. McD has slightly better defensive positioning and decision making as well. They're really remarkably similar players. They are both tremendous skaters and physical work horses. McDonagh is a bit better defensively, overall, and Subby is a lot better offensively. McD has room to improve there, but he will never be on Subban's level. Subban gets the edge in the comparison because what you sacrifice defensively and physically you more than make up for offensively. If Subban didn't have the offensive skillset he has, he would almost be McDonagh. He is not really better anywhere but offense/transition, but he's extremely close or equal everywhere else. So close that the large offensive gap puts him over the edge pretty easily.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
McD has slightly better defensive positioning.
I watched the NY vs Washington game yesterday and was very impressed with that part of McDonagh's game, he's great at keeping forwards to the outside.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I think it's even. McDonagh is alot closer on offense than people think and Subban is alot closer on defense than people think.

I really like Subban's shot but I also really like McDonagh's "come near my goalie and I'm gonna throw you 15 feet across the ice" mentality.

Both have their strengths and both play complete games. Can't go wrong.

If you asked me to exchange McDonagh for Subban, I might say no only because I'm attached to McDonagh at this point, but I think it'd be a very fair exchange.
Agreed here. It's really next to impossible to make a clear distinction, and I'd also probably just keep Subban as well because of the homer vote and just wanting to keep the player I'm a big fan of already. Such a shame they couldn't play on the same team, would have been unbelievable. Damn you Bob Gainey.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
samsquanch9*

Quote:
Don't over simplify. I agree with a lot of what you're saying but don't sell McDonagh short. Both have elite skating. McDonagh he's terrific size and strength and has at least as good of a physical game as Subby. Subban has the open ice hits but McDonagh is dominant in the corners and along the walls. Subban is very good there, but I don't think he's got McD beat. McD has slightly better defensive positioning and decision making as well. They're really remarkably similar players. They are both tremendous skaters and physical work horses. McDonagh is a bit better defensively, overall, and Subby is a lot better offensively. McD has room to improve there, but he will never be on Subban's level. Subban gets the edge in the comparison because what you sacrifice defensively and physically you more than make up for offensively. If Subban didn't have the offensive skillset he has, he would almost be McDonagh. He is not really better anywhere but offense/transition, but he's extremely close or equal everywhere else. So close that the large offensive gap puts him over the edge pretty easily.
Agreed 100%

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

No worries. I was just answering in the same way the other poster did. You're pretty much right on everything. Both are close and they shouldve been together for 15 years.

I need to disagree though... You mention that Mcdo is bigger and that hes better than Subban in the corners. This might be selling him short a lot. I've seen more than a few times, Subban go in corners against the likes of Lucic and Horton and just dominate players with 2-3 inches more. Subban is 220 now... He's a physical specimen and its what makes him what he his. I don't know a lot of players who can go in the corners with the biggest of them and skate with the fastest of them.

Also Mcdo is only 1-1 1/2 taller than Subban, while Subban is close to 220. I don't think there's much size difference here.

Two fantastic D, TBH.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:11 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I didn't realize Subby was up to 220. McD is above 220 as well, and likewise, goes into the corners with everyone and dominates, as well as skates with the best. Just another area they're near identical in.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:10 PM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Awesome contribution

03-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I didn't realize Subby was up to 220. McD is above 220 as well, and likewise, goes into the corners with everyone and dominates, as well as skates with the best. Just another area they're near identical in.
Yeah!
Sorry if I looked butthurted. Well, I am full of ******** seeing our second Dman on your team.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Montreal Shadow

This poll will be redone in a month. If Subban has a slump and McDonagh a hot streak, you'll the reverse opposite results.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:48 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
PK Subban is now playing more than 27 minutes a game on the #1 team in the East. He must do something right defensively I guess. If some aspect of their game is not really close it's the offense where Subban>>>McDonaugh.

McDonaugh is really good... but Subban like good.
And McDonagh played something like 25 or 26 minutes on a team that won the conference over an 82 game season last year. He also had significantly less PP time than Subban and outscored him in even strength points last season.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:02 AM
wunderpanda

Subban is far and away better on the ice, but McD has the advantage of New York City being the media capital of the world and great marketing.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote