HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Value of Morrow

View Poll Results: Do you think Dallas will trade Brenden Morrow?
Yes 28 58.33%
No 20 41.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-09-2013, 07:18 PM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I guess I don't see him the same way.
  • He's been the captain during some times where we've seen a team quit or play lazy like never before. When there was talk of getting rid of the Highland Park atmosphere in the room, Morrow was the guy at the center of running the country club.
  • I'm no Avery fan, but Morrow was one of the key guys who let not liking Avery destroy an entire season. He and some of the other big names on the team treated Avery like crap and essentially quit on the Stars until they got their way.
  • He's been at the center of this reputation the team built up as whiners. If you think the refs hate the Stars, Morrow is a big reason why.
  • When this season started, it was pretty obvious that Loui, Whitney, Ryder, and Jagr were going to be the top four wingers, and the "captain" was quick to run to the media and whine about his role.

He has wrecked his body playing physical for this team, but I will never look back fondly at his tenure as captain. He has one thousand excuses given what happened to the ownership situation, but Phoenix had it worse and they were able to find effort and care levels that the Morrow-led Stars could not.
I think thats being rather harsh. The captaincy is sometimes overrated. Yes one guy can be responsible for setting the tone for his team or rallying the troops with some words, but at the end of the day he cant force 20 other guys to play to the max or above their heads night in night out. Even Mark Messier, Joe Sakic, and Steve Yzerman have "led" some losers.

None of us are in the dressing room or on the bench so its impossible to stand up and pretend we know whats up. But we have seen Morrow lead by example, sacrificing himself night in night out for years now. Looking back on his tenure as captain hes spent a lot of it in his 30s and often injured so naturally his offense has slowed. But hes brought his lunchpail every night and thats all you can ask for. If the guys following arent willing or are unable, you cant just point the finger at him.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:55 AM
txdude5101

Any Chance we can add Glennie in a trade with Morrow?

txdude5101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:16 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdude5101 View Post
Any Chance we can add Glennie in a trade with Morrow?
Do you mean to enhance the value from our side or to just get him out of the organization? I don't see how he enhances any deal from our end. At most if he's traded I think they will do some sort of project swap with another team's under target prospect.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:48 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

Report from @SunGarrioch is that there are two Dallas scouts in Ottawa to watch Bruins-Senators. He surmises Brenden Morrow interest for BOS
Quote:
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch

Two stars from the Dallas Stars here. Bruins, Pens and Flyers looking for scoring help. Stars have a decision to make on Brendan Morrow.
I honestly think this is happening soon. I don't think it's a coincidence that Bourque goes down yesterday, and Caron has played in the last 2 games for Boston.

As much as some people don't like Garroich, he was recently right that Cole was on the move. He mentioned it the Sunday before the trade went down with Dallas.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:17 AM
BigG44

List of teams scouting the Stars last 2 games ... of course even though Morrow is mentioned as the target they fail to acknowledge he didn't even play Saturday.

Quote:
Boston, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Columbus, Minnesota and the New York Rangers.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Troy McClure

Morrow might not have played, but Roy did.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:00 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Boston, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Columbus, Minnesota and the New York Rangers.
Jack Johnson for Eriksson and a 3rd?

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:31 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Jack Johnson for Eriksson and a 3rd?
I was thinking about Johnson playing on our blue line recently and looked up his numbers. Did you guys know his career +/- is a -94?

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
I honestly think this is happening soon. I don't think it's a coincidence that Bourque goes down yesterday, and Caron has played in the last 2 games for Boston.

As much as some people don't like Garroich, he was recently right that Cole was on the move. He mentioned it the Sunday before the trade went down with Dallas.
Here's a question for you G.

Would you rather put Morrow in a deal for Meszaros or Caron?

Cin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Would you rather put Morrow in a deal for [insert name here]?
Yes.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Here's a question for you G.

Would you rather put Morrow in a deal for Meszaros or Caron?
I don't really like to look at things in a bubble so because of impacts outside of the two players ... Caron.

Listening to the Phili fans made me realize there's no rush from them to move Meszaros. Furthermore, they're barely playoff contenders right now ... just like Dallas. I don't think it's reasonable to assume Morrow waives for them. Meszaros fills a bigger need, but I don't feel comfortable assuming he's available. Caron appears to be available, and he's the type of piece you'd expect a team to shop for a rental. Because of those beliefs I go with Caron.

Best case scenario, Dallas gets a player like Caron and a hopefully a conditional pick (similar to the conditional pick Dallas gave NJ - 2nd/3rd).

Old
03-12-2013, 06:55 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Boston again. I'll have to see if the Stars are at the Bruins and Penguins game.
Quote:
Mark Stepneski @StarsInsideEdge
Scouts attending tonight's Dallas Stars-Nashville Predators game: Boston, NY Rangers, Pittsburgh, Vancouver.
Rangers vs Sabres game @ Buffalo
Quote:
Dave Davis @DaveDavisHockey 2h
Hello from FNC. Western Conference scouts here tonight from Kings, Canucks, Blackhawks, Oilers, Avalanche, Stars.

Last edited by ________: 03-12-2013 at 07:09 PM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Dallasman

So do you guys seeing something happening before the weekend with Morrow? Or is he here right up until the trade deadline>

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Depends on his health, and (sadly) if we lose the next three.

We could easily be in last place after the next three games, which will put us as closer to seller status as we'll ever be. That said, they'll probably go out and play excellent against Anaheim, good against Chicago, then get shelled against Calgary.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Does anyone have a decent scouting report on Caron? I've heard his name but don't know a darn thing about the kid other than he's expendable by Boston. What's his deal?

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:35 PM
BigG44

This is some info I posted on him a week or so ago.

Quote:
BTW ... the name Boston fans throw out in nearly every proposal is Jordan Caron. To me ... he's just a French-Canadian version of Tomas Vincour. Wing is definitely not a position Dallas has much of a need at.

That said, he's probably the best asset available when you consider the limited pool of teams Dallas would want to work with (Eastern Conference) and the teams Morrow would allow a trade too (contenders).

At this point ... I'd take the guy. He's not having the best year statistically down in the AHL so you might even get a late pick with him.

NESN special on him from last March

He mentioned skating with Patrice Bergeron in the summer, and I know Alex Chiasson mentioned in an interview at BU that he works on power skating with Patrice Bergeron in the summer as well ... could be some familiarity with the two players.
Quote:
Caron played on a line with Mark Recchi during part of the 2010-11 season.
Everything I read about him though screams Vincour.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:14 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Boston again. I'll have to see if the Stars are at the Bruins and Penguins game.

Rangers vs Sabres game @ Buffalo
People probably won't like this but Brian Boyle could be the guy the Stars are looking at from the Rangers. He's not a scoring machine and according to Rangers fans doesn't play physical enough, but let's look at the facts:

-massive body (Joe likes size and strength)
-great faceoff ability (57.6% in 245 faceoffs taken...55% or better both road and home)
-one more year on his deal at very reasonable cost

Just a gut feeling but if Morrow were to be traded to NY (I actually don't know if they need him or in what role) I could see Boyle being the guy. I have no idea what Morrow's value is these days due to how his body has crumbled and his game declined.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:18 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
People probably won't like this but Brian Boyle could be the guy the Stars are looking at from the Rangers. He's not a scoring machine and according to Rangers fans doesn't play physical enough, but let's look at the facts:

-massive body (Joe likes size and strength)
-great faceoff ability (57.6% in 245 faceoffs taken...55% or better both road and home)
-one more year on his deal at very reasonable cost

Just a gut feeling but if Morrow were to be traded to NY (I actually don't know if they need him or in what role) I could see Boyle being the guy. I have no idea what Morrow's value is these days due to how his body has crumbled and his game declined.
They'd struggle to afford him, and I think we could get more.

This isn't a trade I'd like. I think you're right though, in that he's a guy GMJN would go after.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:22 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

This isn't a trade I'd like. I think you're right though, in that he's a guy GMJN would go after.
I'm sure NY has some contract Joe would take off their hands.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:58 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

For Morrow, Boyle is quite possibly the best we can do value-for-value. For one more year @$1.7m cap-hit, I wouldn't mind him, albeit he has been very underwhelming this season compared to the last two.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Sports
bedroom eyes

vCash: 50
I have noticed New York and Dallas have been scouting each other quite a bit lately.
Morrow is an obvious choice, but I also remember hearing them looking for a RD PP guy, which could be Robidas, or even Goligoski (unlikely).

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:50 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I don't think Morrow fits with the Rangers. I could see them being interested in Robidas however.

Boyle would be a good add as a #3C, but it'd displace Eakin. Something would have to give.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Brian Boyle is ideally a fourth line center, if you need one, he can do it. If you're trying to squeeze him in to the 3C role, the expectations change and they're just a little over his head I feel. He's the third line center on a team that just traded four roster players at the trade deadline if you know what I mean...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Brian Boyle is ideally a fourth line center, if you need one, he can do it. If you're trying to squeeze him in to the 3C role, the expectations change and they're just a little over his head I feel. He's the third line center on a team that just traded four roster players at the trade deadline if you know what I mean...
I know what you mean but are you saying he is ideally only a 4th liner or if he's playing center ideally it's on the 4th line? Meaning, can he play wing slightly up the lineup while not being asked to perform center duties.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I know what you mean but are you saying he is ideally only a 4th liner or if he's playing center ideally it's on the 4th line? Meaning, can he play wing slightly up the lineup while not being asked to perform center duties.
He can do anything, just nothing all that well to be honest. He can play LW if you want, less responsibility there, better chance for him to shoot instead of having to pass (not a strong suit). Hell, he played defense in college...put him anywhere! Honestly, I think he's a fourth line player on a winning team no matter how you slice it. I think it's just a better fit for him at this level. He'll string it together ok on the third line for a little while, but over the long haul, I think he's better at a fourth line role. Better to have a player playing down a half-peg than struggling to play a peg above his level. #haveyoumetGoligoski?

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote