HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great news on Rutuu

Old
03-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Datsyuk Prospect

vCash: 500

I think we should stick him on the same line as Jokinen, let the Finns get some of the spotlight as well and see what they can come up with, 3 lethal scoring lines? Sweet Jesus..

Datsyuk Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:47 PM
totaltank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
Why in the world would you break up the 1st line??? Its money right now.

Keep Jstaal with skinner and add ruutu. Jokinen and Nash were really clicking when they played together.

Tlusty EStaal Semin
Skinner JStaal Ruutu
Jokinen Nash Dwyer
Wallace Brent Bowman
Exciting news, but I'll believe it when I see it. This guy can get hurt eating breakfast, so avoiding setbacks will be key.

As for the lines, this is really the only option. You're not going to mess with the first line, and honestly, the one thing Ruutu has shown -- aside from his ability to get hurt -- is that he's not a first-liner.

JStaal/Skinner have been looking for the other winger, and Ruutu slots in there.

As long as they're healthy, Nash and Brent are our 3/4 centers.

As for the bottom six wingers (Jokinen, Dwyer, Wallace, Bowman, Westgarth, LaRose), I think you can put 'em in a hat and pick them based on who's playing well and the matchups. There's nobody special there.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:09 PM
caniac247

I went to the STH party and it was so nice seeing Ruutu out there skating.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Always worry about chemistry when introducing someone to the top 6 this late in the year, but I suspect it will work out. Pros definitely outweigh cons.

Would be interested to see if Ruutu and J Staal might click, with a scoring wing like Skinner. That line could mirror the top if things fit together right.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Wolfpuck
Dreamy Defense

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:28 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
Why in the world would you break up the 1st line??? Its money right now.

Keep Jstaal with skinner and add ruutu. Jokinen and Nash were really clicking when they played together.

Tlusty EStaal Semin
Skinner JStaal Ruutu
Jokinen Nash Dwyer
Wallace Brent Bowman
This.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Psyduck
cephalalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Exciting news, but I'll believe it when I see it. This guy can get hurt eating breakfast, so avoiding setbacks will be key.

As for the lines, this is really the only option. You're not going to mess with the first line, and honestly, the one thing Ruutu has shown -- aside from his ability to get hurt -- is that he's not a first-liner.

JStaal/Skinner have been looking for the other winger, and Ruutu slots in there.

As long as they're healthy, Nash and Brent are our 3/4 centers.

As for the bottom six wingers (Jokinen, Dwyer, Wallace, Bowman, Westgarth, LaRose), I think you can put 'em in a hat and pick them based on who's playing well and the matchups. There's nobody special there.
Rutuu hits everything that moves and hits harder than his size would indicate. Over the previous couple seasons he has only missed ten games despite being our most physical forechecker.

Saying he "can get hurt eating breakfast" is not only stupid but it is insulting. A player like that sacrifices his body for the team whenever he plays. Not like Alex Semin, Jamie McBain, Jeff Skinner, Jussi Jokinen, Joe Corvo, or Joni Pitkanen who rarely make physical contact against opposing players.

Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:58 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Not like Alex Semin, Jamie McBain, Jeff Skinner, Jussi Jokinen, Joe Corvo, or Joni Pitkanen who rarely make physical contact against opposing players.
With the Hurricanes, it's typically quicker to list the players that *can* hit worth a crap.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Yes We Cam
Good 1-2 punch

I guess keeping in "pretty good" shape is good enough for someone who just had hip surgery.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:08 PM
totaltank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Rutuu hits everything that moves and hits harder than his size would indicate. Over the previous couple seasons he has only missed ten games despite being our most physical forechecker.

Saying he "can get hurt eating breakfast" is not only stupid but it is insulting. A player like that sacrifices his body for the team whenever he plays. Not like Alex Semin, Jamie McBain, Jeff Skinner, Jussi Jokinen, Joe Corvo, or Joni Pitkanen who rarely make physical contact against opposing players.
I have a suggestion for all that faux outrage, but I'll keep it to myself. Ruutu may have only missed 10 games (I assume you're not counting this season) the past "couple of" seasons, but he played almost all of 2009-10 season with a bum shoulder that eventually required surgery, then he had a slow start to 2010-11 due to the same shoulder. He also split his face open in his first game for the Canes, and was pretty much invisible in the 2009 playoff run, including missing several games due to injury.

Yeah, the guy plays hard. I'm pretty sure I never said he didn't. And I'm not surprised that he gets hurt a lot the way he plays. I'm just saying he gets hurt a lot.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:52 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Only in Canes land is the return of a core player from injury cause for this much hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth.

Ruutu returning is a good thing. Jesus.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:56 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

vCash: 50
How many other people can turn HOF defencemen inside out and also hit guys into next week

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:08 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Tlusty- Eric- Semin
Skinner- Jordan- Dwyer
Jokinen- Nash- Ruutu
pk guy- big psysical center- Wallace

Get rid of Bowman and Brent.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Tlusty-Estaal-Semin
Ruutu-Jstaal-Skinner
Jussi-Nash-Dwyer

No way Terry stays if Ruutu comes back... There is no room for LaRose, Bowman or Terry on our top 3 lines with Ruutu back.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
Only in Canes land is the return of a core player from injury cause for this much hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth.

Ruutu returning is a good thing. Jesus.
exactly... Is he worth his contract? No flipping way... Is he better that all our Wingers not named Semin, Tlusty, and Skinner? Ab so flipping lutely

Old
03-11-2013, 08:49 AM
StormCast

So to recap. Ruutu is injured all season and is a bum. Ruutu may be coming back earlier than expected and is the savior. Ok...got it.

As for when he does return, I'd ease him back in on the 3rd line and have Jokinen play on the 2nd line. It's better balance and with Ruutu on the 2nd line there are no playmakers.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Um stormy, who's a playmaker now on the 2nd?

Old
03-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
Tlusty- Eric- Semin
Skinner- Jordan- Dwyer
Jokinen- Nash- Ruutu
pk guy- big psysical center- Wallace

Get rid of Bowman and Brent.
I like this top 9. If Dwyer can't be on that line long-term, he can drop back down to the third line and Ruutu can move up. This takes advantage of the chemistry we've seen with Jokinen and Ruutu, and Dwyer has looked good in bursts with Jordan and Skinner.

I can see LaRose-Brent-Wallace on the 4th line, as I think Brent can work in that role. Tell LaRose and Wallace to go out and hit everything that moves while Brent is back in case LaRose and Wallace get caught up ice.

Keep Bowman and Westgarth in the press box.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:57 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Cares View Post
Um stormy, who's a playmaker now on the 2nd?
Well why do you think Jokinen was moved up there? It has been a conspicuous absence all year. JStaal's assist totals look good but he's not a playmaker but he provides a very good physical presence on that line. Ruutu would provide more physical presence but not the best balance in my view.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Finlandia WOAT

Skinner doesn't need a playmaker if he has two physical guys who are creating space for him to operate.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Novacane

I'd rather have Ruutu than Jokinen on the 2nd line.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:19 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Skinner doesn't need a playmaker if he has two physical guys who are creating space for him to operate.
Nonsense, and it's speed that creates more room in the offensive zone than physical play anyway. How do JStaal and Ruutu create space for him outside the forecheck? Plus Jokinen has already demonstrated good playmaking chemistry with Skinner.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Finlandia WOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Nonsense, and it's speed that creates more room in the offensive zone than physical play anyway. How do JStaal and Ruutu create space for him outside the forecheck? Plus Jokinen has already demonstrated good playmaking chemistry with Skinner.
Skinner can use his skating and his hockey sense to create scoring chances by himself. Elite players create opportunities and score by themselves.

It's easier to add Ruutu and have two physical hockey players who can get the puck to Skinner off the forecheck, then crash the net or cycle the puck while Skinner finds the holes.

I'd rather have Jokinen be the best player on the third line than Ruutu. Jokinen can use his linemates. Ruutu has to be used by his linemates.

EDIT: That said, I view neither as a long term option. That line needs another puck possession player, be it a physical guy or a playmaker. Skinner is a great possession player, and Jordan is learning.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:33 AM
semin4captain

I think Jokinen-J.Staal-Ruutu makes the most sense, with Skinner playing on the third line with Nash/Dwyer/whoever. Put the guy who totally ignores his linemates with guys who can't do anything with the puck anyway. I can tell Jordan is getting frustrated with Skinner's puckhogging and constant losing of the puck trying the same move at the blueline. That line has also been giving up tons of goals against thanks in large part to Bieber's nonexistent effort on defense.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:38 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Skinner can use his skating and his hockey sense to create scoring chances by himself. Elite players create opportunities and score by themselves.

It's easier to add Ruutu and have two physical hockey players who can get the puck to Skinner off the forecheck, then crash the net or cycle the puck while Skinner finds the holes.

I'd rather have Jokinen be the best player on the third line than Ruutu. Jokinen can use his linemates. Ruutu has to be used by his linemates.

EDIT: That said, I view neither as a long term option. That line needs another puck possession player, be it a physical guy or a playmaker. Skinner is a great possession player, and Jordan is learning.
Aside from that being a cliche, Skinner is not an elite player and already tries to do too much on his own, often resulting in a turnover. A legit playmaker on his line would make him that much more dangerous in my opinion. I like the the physical game Ruutu and JStaal bring but without speed it gets you very little in transition. When EStaal played with both Cole and Ruutu it had that nice blend of power and speed.

In terms of possession players, I'm hard pressed to think of anyone better than JStaal along the boards. Though Skinner can be strong on his skates at times and certainly shifty, I think JStaal is already significantly better in that regard. If we're talking puckhandling though, Skinner is better than JStaal.