HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 08:30 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 500
5m per pick round 1 : 2h 30m
3m per pick round 2 : 1h 30m
2m per pick round 3-7 : 5h

9 hours (you can make it last longer if you add more time).

Start at 10am (gives GMs hours worth of pre-draft talking dealing time)

Finish at 8pm with a 1 hour break.

Heaps of time here to extend out rounds and have it finish at midnight.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:27 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
5m per pick round 1 : 2h 30m
3m per pick round 2 : 1h 30m
2m per pick round 3-7 : 5h

9 hours (you can make it last longer if you add more time).

Start at 10am (gives GMs hours worth of pre-draft talking dealing time)

Finish at 8pm with a 1 hour break.

Heaps of time here to extend out rounds and have it finish at midnight.
Thank you, you just re-emphasized my point. From a fan perspective, a one day event is not ideal. Never said it couldn't be done, its just not ideal.

Day 1 usually 3.5hours. Day 2 usually takes ~4 hours. That's a decent breakdown.

9 hours straight with the possibility of more? Don't even think about us watching a home, think about the fans who buy tickets and sit there for 9 hours straight, the families there, then the mgmt team and scouts. That's a long and busy day.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:26 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Thank you, you just re-emphasized my point. From a fan perspective, a one day event is not ideal. Never said it couldn't be done, its just not ideal.

Day 1 usually 3.5hours. Day 2 usually takes ~4 hours. That's a decent breakdown.

9 hours straight with the possibility of more? Don't even think about us watching a home, think about the fans who buy tickets and sit there for 9 hours straight, the families there, then the mgmt team and scouts. That's a long and busy day.
Pack up and leave after the 1st round then, it'll just like day 1 of a 2 day draft. Just think all the 2nd rounders who showed up on day 1 hoping to get called can leave knowing they've been selected

I think it should be much shorter than the 9 hours + spare time, that's max. Besides which this likely a lockout shortened season result due to packing in more games, it'll be back to 2 days next year even if I prefer to get it over with faster, so 2 day fans will be happy again next year. I like the idea of staying up late and seeing what gems pop out of the draft, but a 1 day draft is still not likely to be that late unless they start the draft in the mid afternoon and go very slow.

EDIT, didn't realise it was starting that late

"The draft will begin at 3 p.m. and be televised on NBC Sports Network, and the NHL Network will take over at 8 p.m. for the conclusion of the later rounds."

Starts at 3pm, so that could be late. They will need the jaws music from the Oscars.

Last edited by me2: 03-05-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Bleach Clean

I'm like where Button has Lazar and Horvat ranked:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Should put them right in the Canucks' range at that position. 23-25. Hagg, Dickinson, Petan after that number. Ristolainen and Klimchuk just before. I hope the draft shakes out like this.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:59 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
To save time it wouldn't bother me if they left out congratulating whoever the Cup champs are
Oh, I think it'll be worth keeping in that part for this year. I would be very bothered indeed if they didn't.

Quote:
Regarding the second bold, I didn't even think of it from that standpoint. I wonder how many mistakes will be made?
Would rather have rounds 1-2 on the first day, maybe even 3. Then the rest on the next day. At least it gives fans more time to digest everything and take it all in, rather than having everything happening at a hectic pace and trying to see who's still left on the board.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:24 AM
nameless1
AKA Sami Booth

The drafts are absolutely the worst show in the world, along with trade deadline show.
Much of the time there is no activity, and you are just watching people talk.
Imagine watching this for almost 10 hours...
Boy...
The NHL really knows how to kill TV networks.

On the other hand...
It is a cure for insomnia...
Might be a good thing.

What would be interesting if they mike up the GMs, and you just watch them interact.
One of my favourite moments was the Burke and Murray exchange, in regards to Kadri:

Old
03-05-2013, 04:38 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Interesting that Kukan's already averaging 18:48 per game in the SEL as a 19 year-old. Plays the right side as well apparently.

This Peter Cehlarik sounds intriguing... 6 points in 7 games which is phenomenal for a guy who's only playing 10:35 a game. Some quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechexpert View Post
Could be late pick. More of finesse player with both scoring and playmaking skills. Skating holds him back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferros View Post
I'm sooo impressed by this kid, his line has scored 19 points together in the last 3 (!) games and it's not like he is just tagging along. He creates a lot of offense on his own and he has shown us that he got excellent vision and passing skills for this level.

Today he was close to getting the hat-trick, he made a nice deke on the blueline when they were on a 2on1 but lost the puck as he passed the defenseman.

I really hope he will stay in LuleŚ for the next season, I'm so excited to see what he can do once he get a full season in SEL. Hopefully he gets some icetime during the playoffs when some of the injured players return.

I haven't been this excited about any of our junior players for quite many years.

I'm no expert and I've only seen him in 5 games but offenseivly he seems to be very good all around. He is good along the boards and win a lot of pucks and his passing is really good for his age. After he scored his first goal he has tried to shoot more and you can see that he got a good shot and now that he actually dares to try to score goals instead of just passing you can see that there's a goalscorer in him as well. The big downside is that his skating is average at best, sometimes he just looks slow but he makes up for it with his smarts and he is usually positioned quite well because he can read plays in such a good way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferros View Post
Not only that, he had a solid performance once again and one really good wrist shot that hit the bar, the goaltender didn't even have time to react to it. I also liked it when he just pushed former NHL-defenseman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen away with a solid hit along the boards to steal the puck, and that wasn't his only hit during the game, you can't say that the kid is shy on the ice.

His skating is also looking a lot better than it was in his first few games, I think it had a lot to do with that he had to learn the system and that he didn't know where to go in certain situations that made his skating look worse than it actually is.

He is already 8th in junior scoring (3+3) with only 7 games played. Everyone ahead of him have played +45 games (Collberg is the only exception with 34GP).

Old
03-05-2013, 09:38 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

So it's almost like a real day of work?

Old
03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding, this seems unnecessarily snarky regardless of who your target is. The GMs usually barely sleep the night before draft as they're figuring out who they will take, what deals they can make, etc. It's not like they show up to town at 3pm, hungover from all the partying, get their draft done and then go back to partying. Just watch some of the draft specials out there.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see more mistakes and less trades as a result of this change.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
For fans, it is like a whole day of work, sitting and watching, but we also get some entertainment. This is one of the NHLs marquee events. Do they want it to feel like work or entertainment? Surely the latter. They want revenues and viewership, might explain the odd time me2 listed.

For teams and management, there have been numerous behind the scenes footage where they barely sleep the night before and are still calling other GMs at 4 in the morning. Im not too sure about your work but thats not normal for me, nor do I make major decisions that could impact the organization for the next 5 years!

That said, it's only for this shortened offseason, so I welcome normalcy next draft.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:43 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding, this seems unnecessarily snarky regardless of who your target is. The GMs usually barely sleep the night before draft as they're figuring out who they will take, what deals they can make, etc. It's not like they show up to town at 3pm, hungover from all the partying, get their draft done and then go back to partying. Just watch some of the draft specials out there.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see more mistakes and less trades as a result of this change.
It's snarky because these 18 year old kids will sign contracts with signing bonuses more than my annual salary. I wasn't trying to be too snarky, just didn't feel like getting out of bed this morning (actually posted that on mobile laying in bed).

I'm not too worried and don't feel bad about them putting in a solid day at the office.

By the time the draft finishes the top 100, it's hard to watch at any time (and I'm a draft buff)....there is very little entertainment value passed the 3rd round.

I agree to some extent, the first round on Friday evening is much better entertainment. I think the added pressure on all involved will be entertaining though.
-----

Off topic, but how many contracts are we up to? Corrado and Jensen's slide, I know that.

But if there are going to be the types of mistakes you guys are envisioning, we should be able to offer contracts to non-drafted players that were probably worthy of a draft selection, then no?

(If anyone has a link to how many contracts we have, that'd be swell).

Some Tanev's or Lack's, who slip through the cracks hopefully.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
bryndogcanucks

Quote:
Off topic, but how many contracts are we up to? Corrado and Jensen's slide, I know that.

But if there are going to be the types of mistakes you guys are envisioning, we should be able to offer contracts to non-drafted players that were probably worthy of a draft selection, then no?

(If anyone has a link to how many contracts we have, that'd be swell).

Some Tanev's or Lack's, who slip through the cracks hopefully.
Canucks have 50 contracts, but 4 of them slide - Corrado, Gaunce, McEneny, Jensen

Old
03-05-2013, 12:14 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
By the time the draft finishes the top 100, it's hard to watch at any time (and I'm a draft buff)....there is very little entertainment value passed the 3rd round.

I agree to some extent, the first round on Friday evening is much better entertainment. I think the added pressure on all involved will be entertaining though.
I think part of the fun for many draft buffs is also seeing whether your team picks any of the dark horse candidates they've identified in the late rounds. We all grow fond of certain less-known eligibles that you're hoping your team has on their radar and are able to snag.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:24 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I think part of the fun for many draft buffs is also seeing whether your team picks any of the dark horse candidates they've identified in the late rounds. We all grow fond of certain less-known eligibles that you're hoping your team has on their radar and are able to snag.
Totally agree. But I don't need it on TV to do that.

We all do that anyways regardless of whether we watched in TV or not.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:53 AM
arsmaster

Just a heads up, but TSN is having a draft chat with Craig Button at 9am PST (6 minutes away).

You can submit questions, he's answered a few of mine in the past.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:54 PM
PRNuck

I like Greg Chase of the Hitmen as a midrounder to fill our "good western Canadian boy" role that's been so neglected. I'll be taking in the Hitmen game this weekend and will try to focus on him.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:10 AM
Sergei Shirokov

I think for our 1st round pick we should grab one of these guys:

Andre Burakovsky
Ian McChosen
Valentin Zykov
William Carrier

Burakovsky or McChosen are my two favorites.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:37 AM
rypper

I might be on glue here, but I read an article about Sean Monahan saying he's best friends with Brendan Gaunce. If somehow we could trade into the top 10 and pick him up that would make our future look a little brighter...

Old
03-11-2013, 11:06 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
I like Greg Chase of the Hitmen as a midrounder to fill our "good western Canadian boy" role that's been so neglected. I'll be taking in the Hitmen game this weekend and will try to focus on him.
Chase must have heard I was scouting and got nervous He was pointless with a 10 minute misconduct in a 9-0 victory over Lethbridge and was a scratch yesterday.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:08 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
I think for our 1st round pick we should grab one of these guys:

Andre Burakovsky
Ian McChosen
Valentin Zykov
William Carrier

Burakovsky or McChosen are my two favorites.
Can I ask why?

If you say because McCoshen is a RH shot, I'm going to be very annoyed.

Also, why Burakovsky? He's disappointed just about every rankings this season, falling in all of them, and not making an impact at all in his league.

The only guy that is performing like a 1st rounder is Zykov, and I don't think he'll be there at 24-26 which where I think we'll be picking regardless of the fact we don't hold the division lead at this very second.

---------

Went to Victoria Royals vs Portland Winterhawks yesterday. I'll post a bit later about it. All I will say is, Jones has the same ability Nik Lidstrom had at knocking pucks out of the air. His hand-eye is off the charts. He honestly plays like a guy who has played in the NHL for 5 seasons. Smooth, effortless, head is always up, he never looks down for the puck ever. The only time he was caught out of position was when he was looking to jump into the rush and his teammate turned the puck over. He had one moment of looking human the entire game.

I'll touch on Petan a little later.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:11 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Chase must have heard I was scouting and got nervous He was pointless with a 10 minute misconduct in a 9-0 victory over Lethbridge and was a scratch yesterday.
How was Virtanen? Seems to really be moving up the lineup of late.

He's so strong for a 16 year old its crazy. He shows no fear and plays like he's 19 already. Kid is gonna be a beast in the playoffs.

Likely a top 10 for next year. Local (Abby) boy, would be nice to add a kid of that ilk to the club next year (or Sammy Reinhart, but I digress...rather think about these drafts than watch the team sadly).

Old
03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
How was Virtanen? Seems to really be moving up the lineup of late.

He's so strong for a 16 year old its crazy. He shows no fear and plays like he's 19 already. Kid is gonna be a beast in the playoffs.

Likely a top 10 for next year. Local (Abby) boy, would be nice to add a kid of that ilk to the club next year (or Sammy Reinhart, but I digress...rather think about these drafts than watch the team sadly).
You're right, he's much more noticeable than early in the season. Had a couple really nice assists from the corner. I might be mixing his goal up (kind of lose track when they score 9) but I'm pretty sure his was a beauty where he walked the defenseman to the outside then drove the net.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Trelane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I'm like where Button has Lazar and Horvat ranked:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Should put them right in the Canucks' range at that position. 23-25. Hagg, Dickinson, Petan after that number. Ristolainen and Klimchuk just before. I hope the draft shakes out like this.
The times they are a changing. It may be time to realistically discuss what's available in the 15-20 slot. Let's hear the straight goods on Gauthier and Mantha. Nor is Nichushkin a complete impossibility given his commitments in Russia and likelihood of sliding.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
The times they are a changing. It may be time to realistically discuss what's available in the 15-20 slot. Let's hear the straight goods on Gauthier and Mantha. Nor is Nichushkin a complete impossibility given his commitments in Russia and likelihood of sliding.
I'm a firm believer this team wins the Northwest. A division winner's worst case (or best case scenario) is drafting 22nd overall.

If this roster misses the playoffs, it's getting blown up from top to bottom.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Trelane

I think the team WILL make the playoffs but I’m not convinced the Northwest is theirs by divine right. Something has changed. Teams don’t fear us anymore, instead they elevate their game and it’s showing in the number of one-on-one battles we lose throughout. Still, Nucks actually played well enough to win against Flames and Sharks but didn’t get the bounces. Lately, against BJ’s and Wild the outcome was deserved. They smell our blood in the water.

If MG doesn't move a goalie before deadline, both will continue to be mediocre on account of uncertainty, and we all know the team success since midway last season wall due to stellar goaltending. Throw in Kesler’s absence (ergo no 2nd line) and here we sit, and will probably continue to sit.

Anyway, at least this thread will be more interesting for it.

Closed Thread