HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues @ Ducks 7 Central

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 11:14 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
No.

The compete level was fine nearly the entire road trip outside of maybe the 2nd and 3rd periods in Dallas.

The Blues' biggest issue right now remains a continuing lack of detail. Bad line changes. Poor puck management. Turnovers. Two shorthanded goals against the last 3 games. Mistakes that continue to end up in the back of our net. I said during the game that none of the 9 goals given up since the Phoenix game could be blamed on poor goaltending.

Petro overhandling the puck in his own zone and the subsequent turnover was the turning point of the game. Just like Shattenkirk's mistake against LA early in the 3rd was the turning point of that game.

Not singling out those two but the Blues continue to make avoidable mistakes a year after they were the most fundamentally sound team in the league. They always made sound decisions with the puck and were as detailed as a team could be. This is the biggest reason why the team can't string together 3, 4, 5 consecutive wins.

Now, despite that assessment, there were a lot of positives during the trip including game to game effort, the better goaltending as the road trip wore on, and the Blues finally showing some backbone during the Phoenix and San Jose games.
Pfft. As if. I don't see you calling for a Crease Clearer. A "Crease Clearer" solves everything.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:15 PM
ExJbeck

The SHG was the worst part of the game. Beside that, the Blues played solid given the circumstances. Am I the only one who doesn't notice Backes during the game?

Old
03-10-2013, 11:19 PM
BadgersandBlues

vCash: 500
AP was out for all 4 goals against tonight. He's currently a -6, worst on the team for a DMan.

He is the engine that runs our vehicle. When he's this poor, we look poor. He needs a huge wake-up call.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Harley83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Pfft. As if. I don't see you calling for a Crease Clearer. A "Crease Clearer" solves everything.
So I guess they could handle themselves just fine in a seven game series against an in-your-face team like Boston?

Old
03-10-2013, 11:21 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
What separates this team from the elite in the West is Garth Butcher.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:22 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley83 View Post
So I guess they could handle themselves just fine in a seven game series against an in-your-face team like Boston?
You sound like Ron Caron before the '91 trade deadline.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:25 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post
AP was out for all 4 goals against tonight. He's currently a -6, worst on the team for a DMan.

He is the engine that runs our vehicle. When he's this poor, we look poor. He needs a huge wake-up call.
1 of the goals was a powerplay goal that was tipped from a shot.

another one of the goals was an empty netter. what do you expect petro to do about those?

people need to settle down.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:27 PM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't notice Backes during the game?
If it weren't for the poor play of AP, Backes would easily top my list of disappointments for this season. Current players on our roster who have less goals then him against goalies and have played every game: Polak. That's it. Barret effing Jackman has as many goals as Backes against a goalie. Simply pathetic.

Old
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
What separates this team from the elite in the West is Garth Butcher.
Deadline trade: McDonald, Steen, Tarasenko and Polak for Garth Butcher.

Old
OCTA8ON

Quote:
You need to give the Blues a break. When was the last time the Blues had?

1. stable goaltending
2. fully healthy roster
3. some damn rest

Old
03-10-2013, 11:31 PM
BadgersandBlues

Also a fun note, our opening night 4th liners (Sobi-Nichol-Reaves) now have as many goals against a goalie (9) as our current 1st line (Schwartz-Backes-Oshie).

Old
03-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Harley83

Things like rest, goaltending stability, transitional problems, injuries, bad officiating are things that affect all NHL teams but excuses aside if they don't find the intensity and aggression they are going to get mowed over come playoff time.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:44 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The simple analysis is tiring. There are MANY things successful playoff teams need to do and one of them is obviously intensity. But it has to come from within. This is a roster certainly capable of playing with intensity and agression. It's mindbottling () that the thought is adding one 16 min role playing defenseman would have the remotest impact on this one of many elements that needs to come from within anyway.

This is definitely the mentality that brought Garth Butcher, and it was terrible judgment then as now.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Robb_K

The Blues played a good game on the road until they tired out in the second half of the 3rd Period, due to playing the day before, and 3 games in 4 days, and 4 games in 6 days, plus having to kill off several penalties.

I wouldn't panic over this loss. But, they need to start playing like they did in 2011-12, and win much more consistently.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:49 PM
BlueDream

Just watched the game. Pietrangelo looked awful once again. Made terrible plays on their first 2 goals. Jackman-Petro was our weakest pairing tonight.

Also love how we can never score on an empty net but other teams just do it with ease.

Bad game, whatever, hope they bounce back Tuesday...

Old
03-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Harley83

Quote:
The simple analysis is tiring. There are MANY things successful playoff teams need to do and one of them is obviously intensity. But it has to come from within. This is a roster certainly capable of playing with intensity and agression. It's mindbottling () that the thought is adding one 16 min role playing defenseman would have the remotest impact on this one of many elements that needs to come from within anyway.

This is definitely the mentality that brought Garth Butcher, and it was terrible judgment then as now.
Last weeks game against L.A. definitely showed that they can have that kind of intensity. I would take those kind of losses all day knowing that they went down swinging.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:00 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Last weeks game against L.A. definitely showed that they can have that kind of intensity. I would take those kind of losses all day knowing that they went down swinging.
No. No true Blues fan wants to lose just because it comes with some fetishized idea of nobility.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:01 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Out of curiosity on a different topic, when was the last time the Blues trailed by a goal and tied it with the extra attacker? Feels like it's been a looooooooooong time, but I could be forgetting an instance or two.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:19 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Out of curiosity on a different topic, when was the last time the Blues trailed by a goal and tied it with the extra attacker? Feels like it's been a looooooooooong time, but I could be forgetting an instance or two.
Didn't Colaiacovo of all people tie a game late in San Jose in like 2009 or 10?

That's literally the only game I could think of in recent memory.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:40 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Didn't Colaiacovo of all people tie a game late in San Jose in like 2009 or 10?

That's literally the only game I could think of in recent memory.
Did Huskin do it at the beginning of last season against San Jose? Or was there not an extra attacker?

Old
03-11-2013, 02:26 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Not a fan of trading for Briere, but thats an area he would help

Old
03-11-2013, 02:26 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
No. No true Blues fan wants to lose just because it comes with some fetishized idea of nobility.
I think he meant if the Blues lose. If the Blues lose, I know I'd rather see them go down swinging like against LA and not the kind of performance we got tonight.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:47 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

How does that work then? Start fights in the first period of a game you plan to collapse in later? Because that meant you showed heart and went down swinging? The loss to Anaheim was MUCH MUCH MUCH more tolerable than the loss to LA. That loss to LA was horrible.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:44 AM
BlueDream

Yeah that also makes zero sense to me. If you'd rather see losses like the LA one then you might need your head checked. If the Blues always lost like that I would have quit watching them a long time ago. Those are the worst.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:46 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
The Blues played a good game on the road until they tired out in the second half of the 3rd Period, due to playing the day before, and 3 games in 4 days, and 4 games in 6 days, plus having to kill off several penalties.

I wouldn't panic over this loss. But, they need to start playing like they did in 2011-12, and win much more consistently.
When will that occur? Time is running out. The players should all be peak physical condition by now with all those Millions of Dollars they get paid to do a Job. Halak was well rested. Poor officiating, Blah Blah Blah.

Closed Thread