HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

We Need a Goalie

Old
03-11-2013, 02:52 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
We Need a Goalie

Lots of talk about the need for a #2C, or a top pairing Dman, but for my money the team's most pressing need going forward is a #1G. Any ideas?

List of pending ufa goalies

List of pending rfa goalies

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:55 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Toss Calgary a second for Kipper?

I dunno, Bishop seems like the most likely option but with Anderson out it's unlikely they make a deal.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:55 AM
Paralyzer008

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Lots of talk about the need for a #2C, or a top pairing Dman, but for my money the team's most pressing need going forward is a #1G. Any ideas?

List of pending ufa goalies

List of pending rfa goalies
How about that Devan Dubnyk kid?

I think the more pressing question is, any ideas for a #1A or a experienced veteran #2?

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:01 AM
Ice Whole

If Fasth takes over the starting role from Anaheim, I hope we can swing a deal for Hiller. I doubt it will happen.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:01 AM
Burnt Biscuits

I'm fine with giving Dubnyk more time to show his stuff, but I'm not so confident that I wouldn't be strongly pursuing the best back-up goaltender available via UFA. We need a strong 2nd option Dubnyk is not a stone cold lock to hold down the number 1 job.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:03 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
How about that Devan Dubnyk kid?

I think the more pressing question is, any ideas for a #1A or a experienced veteran #2?

Old
03-11-2013, 03:06 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:07 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:

Old
03-11-2013, 03:09 AM
OilCanada92

Dubnyk is fine! Just his first full year and its a non relaxing progress. Remember miller in his bugging starts? Not saying he's gonna be miller. Goalies are the last to be fully developed. Two bad games and some week goals. But over 1000 saves and on a team that puts all the effort on him some games.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:10 AM
Bergeron47

lol.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:17 AM
#ualberta

So are we giving up on dubnyk then? I still hope he improves because so far this season he's not doing it for me.
There is a bunch of interesring names in the ufa list though i doubt we get any of them.

I was thinking we need a good backup for dubnyk, habby is in his last year and pretty injury prone obviously. So i want a good goalie to backup dubnyk next season i don't want danis on the roster next season. l

Maybe mike smith will leave the desert? I don't see Howard leaving detroit though

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:20 AM
I am the Liquor

I guess we will have to disagree then. Im no nhl'er but Ive played on teams with poor goaltending and it is absolutely deflating and demoralizing. Crap like the dump in goal from the other night and his bizarre decision to try and race for the puck tonight, but doing so very nonchalantly is unacceptable at the NHL level.

Its not just a one off. It is happening regularly. Bad goals, lapses in concentration, he plays well some nights and in stretches, but then he lets in another soft goal and it deflates the team. We need a goalie who steals us games like Roli or Cujo used to, not one who costs us games.

Status quo is NOT ok.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
If it really comes to that, the ducks have to number 1 goalies.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:34 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Do you think the Hawks would let go of Emery or do they keep him around as insurance?

Old
03-11-2013, 03:35 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
I guess we will have to disagree then. Im no nhl'er but Ive played on teams with poor goaltending and it is absolutely deflating and demoralizing. Crap like the dump in goal from the other night and his bizarre decision to try and race for the puck tonight, but doing so very nonchalantly is unacceptable at the NHL level.

Its not just a one off. It is happening regularly. Bad goals, lapses in concentration, he plays well some nights and in stretches, but then he lets in another soft goal and it deflates the team. We need a goalie who steals us games like Roli or Cujo used to, not one who costs us games.

Status quo is NOT ok.
Yes, he seems to let in very untimely goals, even when it seems like he's playing well he seems to let in a weak 3rd period goal that kills our team. That being said i'm not sure i want to give up on dubnyk yet.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:39 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Yes, he seems to let in very untimely goals, even when it seems like he's playing well he seems to let in a weak 3rd period goal that kills our team. That being said i'm not sure i want to give up on dubnyk yet.
He could be a good back up. Just not a #1.

We need both going into next season.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:51 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

I think Dubnyk is fine honestly, he's getting way too many shots. But it's true that he doesn't typically make those huge saves. Try to think of some huge, highlight reel saves from Dubnyk. They don't really happen. He's pretty solid considering his age and the team he's on, but I don't think he's going to hoist a Cup over his head in his career, just doesn't seem to be able to come up big when the team really needs it.

I'd rather have a Fleury-type goalie. Definitely not an elite goalie, but he makes those ridiculous saves that can help steal momentum and win games.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:02 AM
Bergeron47

I'm surprised it's gone this far without the obvious solution of trading for Rangers' prospect Montoya.

Boyle + Montoya for Whitney, Belanger & 3rd?

Old
03-11-2013, 04:04 AM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
We will probably have to address the goaltender situation in the off season since I doubt teams will trade they goaltenders in this shortened season. In any case I think we need to bring in a young goaltender to compete with Dubnyk, There's a few goalies I would be interested in.

Ben Bishop - 2nd round pick +?
Micheal Neuvirth - 2nd round pick +?
Jonathan Bernier - Cost will probably be to high.
Jonas Hiller - If they believe Fasth is starter he might be available, Don't know what the cost would be though.
Ray Emery - FA, Would be a decent backup.

I left out the obvious starting goalies like Howard, Smith and Backstrom since they will likely re-sign with there respective teams.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:21 AM
plikestechno

I wouldnt be so sure about those ufas resigning and i wouldnt see any of their current teams throwing crazy money at those guys. They might dash for cash. The only one that interests me is howard. He's won the red wings some games by himself this year. Or backstrom so we dont have to play against him anymore. Only thing with backstrom is that ive seen him be crap against other teams. It seems he saves his best for us.

But we have to go get someone. Dubnyk lets too many bad goals in and has been brutal since the second week of the season minus the one game he stole in Cbus. Bad goals kill teams. They just do and its hard for players to stay on the attack when theyre worried that anything can go in the net. Khabby saved him from an L in that colorado game too where he was complete junk.

He's either fundamentally bad or he just loses concentration sometimesbecause he seems to get caught out of position or surprised a lot. Tonight was brutal, just stay in the net or play the angle. Someone would have caught Kane by the time he got to the net. He was so slow going out to that puck. Awful contract for him but at least khabbys off the books this summer so we can go get someone else.

Sometimes i also wonder if its the goaltending coach thats the problem. Not like chabot has churned out anything great, i think the goalies do the best they can despite him.

Last edited by plikestechno: 03-11-2013 at 05:09 AM.
plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:31 AM
Baggers

Hard to judge Dubnyk considering the crap-tastic defense in front of him.

Yes, he gives up weak goals. So do most goalies - I still remember Roy getting shelled by Detroit in the playoffs one year.

I'm ok with keeping him as the starter for now, but the team seriously needs a backup.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:34 AM
plikestechno

Speaking of goalies, i think they should send Danis down and call up Olivier Roy. He had a good game today in the A and can't be worse than Danis. Luckily enough pucks hit Danis and we won. That 6-4 goal was brutal and Kane played him pretty bad on the 6-5 one. I dont think we get to 6-5 if Dubnyk played the whole game. If Dubnyks hurt were winning nothing with Danis.

Last edited by plikestechno: 03-11-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 04:43 AM
LaGu

I'd love to have a potential Venezia no 1 keeper in the net but I'd be content with having a real good prospect keeper as backup to Dubnyk. In the end I think that's what we should be looking for, a decent 20-25 year old who can jump in when necessary and in a couple of seasons, if Dubnyk isn't up to the task, take over.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:07 AM
plikestechno

I'd love to go to Venezia, too. I hear it's nice.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
I'd love to go to Venezia, too. I hear it's nice.
I believe that's where my curtains are from.