HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Jonas Brodin (Part III)

Old
03-08-2013, 12:19 PM
mjlee

vCash: 500
Scotty Bowman is quoted in this week's Nicholas J. Cotsonika's Three Periods column:
Quote:
– Bowman has been impressed with two young defensemen: the Phoenix Coyotes’ Oliver Ekman-Larsson and the Minnesota Wild’s Jonas Brodin. Mark these words: “You’ll see in a couple years. You’ll be talking about these guys among the top half-dozen defensemen in the league. That’s how good they are.” He loves their skating, skill and hockey sense – how passes are always tape-to-tape.
Nice to see that young Jonas is getting some attention from someone who knows a thing or two about good Swedish defensemen . Actually what's remarkable is that Bowman is not talking about Brodin in terms of being an outstanding rookie but instead putting him on the same level as OEL who is already well established as one of the best young D in the league.

mjlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:31 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlee View Post
Scotty Bowman is quoted in this week's Nicholas J. Cotsonika's Three Periods column:

Nice to see that young Jonas is getting some attention from someone who knows a thing or two about good Swedish defensemen . Actually what's remarkable is that Bowman is not talking about Brodin in terms of being an outstanding rookie but instead putting him on the same level as OEL who is already well established as one of the best young D in the league.
Brodin sure does have a bright future ahead of him. the way he plays at this age tho is just something else.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:18 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Hockey's Future did a Calder ranking and Brodin is ranked #9. Behind defenders Schultz in Edmonton, Hamilton in Boston, and Dillon in Dallas, among a bunch of (overrated) forwards.

Quote:
9. Jonas Brodin, D, Minnesota Wild
Drafted 10th overall (1st round) in 2011

Brodin, like Dillon, makes his debut in the poll this month. While he has flown under the radar in terms of Calder Trophy consideration, a good case can be made that no rookie has been as important to his team as the Wild defenseman.

Among rookies, Brodin is second to Schultz in ice time, averaging nearly 22 minutes a night.

While Brodin's offensive numbers are limited (three assists in 18 game and -1 plus/minus), only high profile free agent signee Ryan Suter sees more ice time for Minnesota than the 19-year-old from Sweden.

Brodin skated in 12 games for the Wild in February and was +2 with 1 assist while averaging 22:30 minutes per night.

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlee View Post

Damn, that's an opinion one can take to the bank.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:31 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
was it burrows? he did that to someone tonight, too. ****ing brilliant with that stick.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:33 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
was it burrows? he did that to someone tonight, too. ****ing brilliant with that stick.
Looks like Nashville

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:24 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

If/and when Brodin starts joining rushes and develops more a offensive skill set, he's going to be a special, special player. He's already so good in his own end and in transition that at this point, with no development in his game at all, you'd have no qualms about him being on a top pairing from this point forward. If he can get his shot to progress and get more confidence to play with the puck a tad more, he'll be in the conversation as one of the best defensemen in the game in a few years.

He's just so, so good at 19. The Wild are lucky to have him.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I want to see him use that shot more. It's brilliant when he steps into it. I know he's more of a QB at the point like Suter but his slapper has a lot of velocity and seems to have great placement as well.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:39 AM
grN1g

i wanna start seeing brodin take some slap shots from the point, i see he can take a nice wrist shot and get it on net, but i think to be more effective in the ozone he needs to start trying to take that slap shot.

edit: ^ lol jarick knows!

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:28 AM
forthewild

Quote:
this is just so freaking mesmerizing my god i could watch it all day. I love how he is so hard to beat 1 on 1, how many NHL dman would have been caught flat footed there. His angle on that play was just so good.

Yup Wild have a special special player on their hands.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Uberdachen

There was a nice one last night where he took the puck into the offensive corner, followed it briefly then pulled back, and when Vancouver quickly broke back out of their zone along the other side, there he was to poke it away again.

I really love that more and more, when that puck is floating just out of reach for the other team's forward on a breakout and any of our other D would already be cautiously moving back to center ice, he flies in from just off-screen like a Monty Python foot and keeps it in.

Uberdachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberdachen View Post
There was a nice one last night where he took the puck into the offensive corner, followed it briefly then pulled back, and when Vancouver quickly broke back out of their zone along the other side, there he was to poke it away again.
I saw that and squealed like a girl. Pestering my girlfriend "did you see that? DID YOU SEE THAT? He was the first one back! And the deepest forechecker!" That was also like a two minute shift

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:44 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Ok that was pretty

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:12 AM
nickschultzfan

The kid is unreal.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Uberdachen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I saw that and squealed like a girl. Pestering my girlfriend "did you see that? DID YOU SEE THAT? He was the first one back! And the deepest forechecker!" That was also like a two minute shift
I am pretty sure it got me shouting some stuff about going with four forwards when he's on the ice.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:23 AM
BigT2002

Was it his forced penalty that got us the PPG too last night??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Uberdachen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Was it his forced penalty that got us the PPG too last night??
I believe so.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:47 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
The best part of this is when Brodin steals the puck, he immediately and moves the puck up the ice with his head up...so poised.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:54 AM
JamesRanger

Brodin is built to be a breakout machine. He has great vison and skating. He finds the open man when there is one and if not he simply skates it out of the zone.

JamesRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:18 PM
forthewild

Quote:
The crazy part about this play is if was any other dman or a Sedin it would have been tripping, he uses his stick at the right time to get the puck out of there with out taking a penalty. Its so sexy to watch.

Bacon4Norris

Old
03-11-2013, 12:26 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 212
Holy crap. I remember him doing something similar to Oshie once, he was so surprised, he looked like a fool. Awesome, This kid is great.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:58 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

God this kid is amazing.... Even during our bad games, he'll still find a way to make you enjoy at least a few moments.

I hope he sticks with the wrister and just learns to use it more frequently. Lidstrom primarily used his wrister, and with amazing success. Brodin has great aim, that sucker frequently gets on net, he just needs to be a little more assertive with it.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Looks like Nashville
no, i had the fragments mixed up when i wrote that...i meant he did that tonight to someone. was it burrows?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote