HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Need a Goalie

Old
03-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Chef10

vCash: 500
I think Jonathan Bernier would be a wicked pick up and a huge improvement on anything we have in the sysytem and Duby

Chef10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef10 View Post
I think Jonathan Bernier would be a wicked pick up and a huge improvement on anything we have in the sysytem and Duby
Watch any Spengler Cup? Dubnyk outplayed Bernier into the starting role. Bernier is a good young goalie, but there isn't much proof to suggest he would end up better than Dubnyk on our team.

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:00 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 136
For those posting YT videos of Marty B is just being a twit. DD gives up atleast one bad goal a game and sometimes two. DD is 26 and is not ready to handle being a number 1 and there is a problem with his state of mind and his style.

We need to address whether or not the oilers are giving DD the proper coaching support. I am not a Chabot fan and I am not sure if Chabot has the experience to help DD change what needs to be changed.

I was looking forward to a JDD and DD battle to be the number 1. and when DD was handed the job and I think his developed stopped.

He has one year left until he is a UFA and then the oilers will be in a pickle.

We also need a back up. I think we need two, not one goalie--I am off the DD fan wagon and am looking around to see what is out there.
Bernier from LA should be on our shopping list, but we are going to need a back up plan.

Both Roy and Bunz are a few years away from being considered for the NHL and based upon on-line reports, it might be time to look at drafting a goalie in the first three rounds this draft to get another goalie in the system as those two could be leaving us lacking shortly.

for me, the problem in net goes beyond DD, but the development system we have set up for not just goalies but all the prospects as well and we need to look at what them oilers have in place to ensure more our prospects do not get tossed on the bust pile.

Very quietly some of our draft picks are looking more and more like busts

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
For those posting YT videos of Marty B is just being a twit. DD gives up atleast one bad goal a game and sometimes two. DD is 26 and is not ready to handle being a number 1 and there is a problem with his state of mind and his style.

We need to address whether or not the oilers are giving DD the proper coaching support. I am not a Chabot fan and I am not sure if Chabot has the experience to help DD change what needs to be changed.

I was looking forward to a JDD and DD battle to be the number 1. and when DD was handed the job and I think his developed stopped.

He has one year left until he is a UFA and then the oilers will be in a pickle.

We also need a back up. I think we need two, not one goalie--I am off the DD fan wagon and am looking around to see what is out there.
Bernier from LA should be on our shopping list, but we are going to need a back up plan.

Both Roy and Bunz are a few years away from being considered for the NHL and based upon on-line reports, it might be time to look at drafting a goalie in the first three rounds this draft to get another goalie in the system as those two could be leaving us lacking shortly.

for me, the problem in net goes beyond DD, but the development system we have set up for not just goalies but all the prospects as well and we need to look at what them oilers have in place to ensure more our prospects do not get tossed on the bust pile.

Very quietly some of our draft picks are looking more and more like busts
I disagree with most of this post, but we do need to draft a goalie for sure. To call our picks "busts" after 2 years or so is ludicrous. Goalies take time, ask that "bust" Jimmy Howard in Detroit.

As for the Brodeur video, the point is that anyone can let up a bad goal. Dubnyk hasn't consistently let up 2 or more bad goals a game. He lets some bad ones in, but really he's been solid most of the time. I've watched every game and I can count 4 bad goals let in. A lot of it is terrible defense.

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:12 AM
habshound247

St.Louis would have an extra tender if Jake Allen plays like he is capable. Maybe Halak?

habshound247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:17 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Lots of talk about the need for a #2C, or a top pairing Dman, but for my money the team's most pressing need going forward is a #1G. Any ideas?

List of pending ufa goalies

List of pending rfa goalies
Goaltending has be far from the issue. Of that list how many of those guys are actually better than Dubnyk and aren't going to cost a lot?

I'm not suggesting we put all our eggs in the Dubnyk basket, but I'm not looking to replace him unless something falls into our laps.

Instead maybe we look at someone to play in OKC that has potential and bring them along.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Jephman

Dubnyk's save % this year: .914
Hiller's: .899
Bernier's: .916
Neuvirth's: .890
Schneider's: .910
Montoya's: .909

Yeah, let's abandon him now. The alternatives are so much better.

Jephman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
I'm fine with giving Dubnyk more time to show his stuff, but I'm not so confident that I wouldn't be strongly pursuing the best back-up goaltender available via UFA. We need a strong 2nd option Dubnyk is not a stone cold lock to hold down the number 1 job.
more time? you'd think there are enough games played to know what you have with DD by now.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:57 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
more time? you'd think there are enough games played to know what you have with DD by now.
Vancouver is thinking the same with Schneider now.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:05 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
St.Louis would have an extra tender if Jake Allen plays like he is capable. Maybe Halak?
I was looking at St Loius. Allen intrigues me, but if I were a betting man, just going by what has gone on this season, I would guess it is Elliott that is on the outside looking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Goaltending has be far from the issue. Of that list how many of those guys are actually better than Dubnyk and aren't going to cost a lot?

I'm not suggesting we put all our eggs in the Dubnyk basket, but I'm not looking to replace him unless something falls into our laps.

Instead maybe we look at someone to play in OKC that has potential and bring them along.
Thanks for coming out Steve.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:07 AM
joestevens29

Goalies are rollercoasters. Look at the top 5 SPCT this year, Anderson, Niemi, Lehtonen, Fasth and Rask.

Not like those guys have been in the top 5 for that many years in a row.

Last year's top 5, Elliot, Schnider, Smith, Quick and Lundqvist. Where are they this year?

Lunqvist is 8th, Schnieder 25th, Elliot last, Smith 35th, Quick 37th.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Goalies are rollercoasters. Look at the top 5 SPCT this year, Anderson, Niemi, Lehtonen, Fasth and Rask.

Not like those guys have been in the top 5 for that many years in a row.

Last year's top 5, Elliot, Schnider, Smith, Quick and Lundqvist. Where are they this year?

Lunqvist is 8th, Schnieder 25th, Elliot last, Smith 35th, Quick 37th.
Save % is a stat that doesn't tell the whole story.

I had to chuckle at times last season when people defending Dubnyk would trot out his save % relative to goalies like Lunongo and say "look, he's not even that far off."

Here's the question that should be asked regarding Dubnyk:

Would you be confident going into the playoffs with a guy like Dubnyk?

I'm not sure how the answer could be yes to this question based on what we have seen from him throughout his career.

Krut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:29 AM
worraps
Acceptance

I am pretty negative about Dubnyk in general but there's nothing wrong with him that he and Chabot can't fix. If I had to guess I'd say he's got about an even chance of eliminating the weak goal and becoming a legitimate NHL goaltender.

I'm all for signing a free agent goalie but, sadly, I think there are bigger problems on this team to be addressed through trade. That is, the odds of Klefbom, Musil, Marincin filling our holes on defense are worse than Dubnyk fixing his game.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post

I had to chuckle at times last season when people defending Dubnyk would trot out his save % relative to goalies like Lunongo and say "look, he's not even that far off."

I'm not sure how the answer could be yes to this question based on what we have seen from him throughout his career.
Lets actually make the playoffs first. We have a lot of issues, goaltending might be one but until you put a better team in front it won't matter who you put in net.

If something comes along fine, but I'm not going out of my way to fix goaltending first.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:59 AM
ChadSC
SportingCharts

Unless you're getting an elite goaltender (top 5) there is little value in acquiring another goalie over Dubnyk.

The far more task is to improve the team from the blueline out, which as a result will improve the appearance of the goaltending.

ChadSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post

interestingly enough Dubnyk's sav% is better than Luongo this season... and would be as good\confident a goalie going into playoffs as Luongo

edit: as for the topic.. Dubnyk isnt elite but is good enough to keep a team in the game.. That is all we should be expecting from him. Just have to improve the team around him ..

edit#2: no mention of T.Thomas ?? He would be someone we should take a gamble on... The guy could still play like a top 3 goalie in this league..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:14 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
interestingly enough Dubnyk's sav% is better than Luongo this season... and would be as good\confident a goalie going into playoffs as Luongo

edit: as for the topic.. Dubnyk isnt elite but is good enough to keep a team in the game.. That is all we should be expecting from him. Just have to improve the team around him ..

edit#2: no mention of T.Thomas ?? He would be someone we should take a gamble on... The guy could still play like a top 3 goalie in this league..
I'd sign Tim Thomas at the right price.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSC View Post
Unless you're getting an elite goaltender (top 5) there is little value in acquiring another goalie over Dubnyk.

The far more task is to improve the team from the blueline out, which as a result will improve the appearance of the goaltending.
Who exactly is a top 5 goaltender in this league?

Like Joe said goalies are so up and down in this league. Last couple years in my hockey pool I generally leave goalies until later rounds cause your likely to still have a good pick of tenders.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I'd sign Tim Thomas at the right price.
Yeah if Thomas wanted to come back to the NHL I'd be all over signing him.

But I want to know how Dubnyk isn't good enough while Toronto is making due with Bishop and Reimer right now.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
The problem is, Elliot has come back down to earth this year so Allen playing well just means they have Halak and a capable backup (I'm not sure how well Allen has played either). They could move Elliot, but I wouldn't be the least bit interested in aquiring him. He's a below average backup who happened to have one tremendous season. There's no way the Blues move Halak.

03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah if Thomas wanted to come back to the NHL I'd be all over signing him.

But I want to know how Dubnyk isn't good enough while Toronto is making due with Bishop and Reimer right now.
Toronto is making due with Scrivens and Reimer. Ottawa is making due with Bishop.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:26 AM
0ilerman
The King

Neuvirth or Holtby would be nice. Both young guys that could push dubey, if not supplant him as the starter. Holtby is a local area guy, and that always helps.

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:27 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
Neuvirth or Holtby would be nice. Both young guys that could push dubey, if not supplant him as the starter. Holtby is a local area guy, and that always helps.
I think the Caps are going to hold onto Holtby.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:28 AM
doulos

When you have limited assets to trade you need to use them on bigger issues than goaltending right now. Maybe an upgrade in the future once other much more pressing areas have been dealt with.

A real team in front of Dubnyk will do wonders.

doulos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:31 AM
stangconv

Oh goodness tambo has a mess. Dubnyk would be a great backup. I have no idea why he got 3.5. I have no idea who is better out there, but I am pretty sure giving bad goal Dubnyk 3.5 million isn't it.

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote