HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ugly

Old
03-11-2013, 03:24 AM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
That's just ridiculous.

Forgoing what may be an important piece in building a CUP team, just for a one-and-done cheap playoff thrill?

By any chance are you under 25 years old?
Funny, I'm tempted to ask the same question of the tanking crowd.

misterchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:25 AM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Why?
Because it means they will win a lot between now and April and shows that there is some redeeming quality among some of the pieces that many have left for dead.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:29 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Because it means they will win a lot between now and April and shows that there is some redeeming quality among some of the pieces that many have left for dead.
They did that last year. And the year before. And look how much better we've gotten already.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:30 AM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
They did that last year. And the year before. And look how much better we've gotten already.
Actually, they didn't do that last year.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:46 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Actually, they didn't do that last year.
No, they missed by 2 points. Big deal.
I'd rather see the team bottom out for a year or two now, see the changes made that need to be in coaching/management/player personnel, and get some legit high-end talent in the draft than watch them think they're one more mediocre FA signing from contending and wallow in mediocrity for a decade a la the Flames.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:08 AM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
No, they missed by 2 points. Big deal.
I'd rather see the team bottom out for a year or two now, see the changes made that need to be in coaching/management/player personnel, and get some legit high-end talent in the draft than watch them think they're one more mediocre FA signing from contending and wallow in mediocrity for a decade a la the Flames.
An 8 seed won the Cup last year.

Yeah, missing the playoffs is sort of a big deal. No one (repeat, NO ONE) wants to finish 9th like last year's team.

But I am not going to watch the team and hope they play poorly. I'm going to hope some of the players who are underachieving (or just career minor league fodder, because we have a lot of them too) pick up their game and start playing better. Including hopefully scoring some important goals.

The draft yields one player. One player is not going to fix this team. Not even close.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:23 AM
wunderpanda
sabre of damocles

Quote:
Exactly. We still have a very good goalie in Miller, a Calder winner in Myers, Ehrhoff was an allstar a couple years ago, Vanek, Hodgson, Pomer and Ennis were putting up good numbers, Ott is exactly as advertized. Our good prospects from the years we missed the playoffs should start to come around. If you don't believe in the prospect we developed, how can you believe in someone we haven't even drafted yet?

We are losing by 1 goal. Thats not insurmountable, its 1 more save to steal a point, its 1 more goal to steal a win.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:47 AM
jfb392

Quote:
While that's a nice idea, individual success does not necessarily have to correlate with team success.
Some individuals have had good seasons, but there's too much dead weight for their performances to really make any difference in the standings.

And winning "a lot" is an understatement, as it's more like "going undefeated the rest of the way".
With 44 points remaining and 33 of them likely required to sneak in at eighth, five more regulation losses will essentially do them in.

Quote:
An 8 seed won the Cup last year.
Make that an eighth seed with far more talent and sparkling underlying numbers that was held back by a stupid coach.

This team, however, is filled with mostly marginal talents and has putrid underlying numbers.
It has a few players that have to ability to win you a game or two in a series by themselves, but that's about it.

Quote:
The draft yields one player. One player is not going to fix this team. Not even close.
Every single drafts has the chance of yielding multiple players.
The first pick is important, but if you miss on all of your subsequent picks, you did a crappy job.

This is a similar straw man to the "tanking doesn't guarantee a Cup" one, though.
Just like no one is saying that tanking is a guarantee, no one is saying that one player will fix this team.
What we're saying is that they've dug themselves a big hole and they may as well take advantage of it to not only select a top prospect, but to also prove to management that this team just isn't very good and needs real fixes, not bandages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
We are losing by 1 goal. Thats not insurmountable, its 1 more save to steal a point, its 1 more goal to steal a win.
If we lose by one goal, it's likely because of outstanding performances from either Miller or our top line or incredibly poor performances from a backup or third string goaltender we're facing.
To consistently ask for above average performances is unrealistic, but to ask for above average and then some consistently takes it to another level.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:28 AM
sabres4ever
We got Jack!

Just some observations:

Rolston is in a really bad position. He's meeting the challenge head on, but I think it's a no-win situation. Being interim, he will be replaced for next season, and whatever he's impressed on our team will go along with him. Next coach will be another fresh start. Not a huge deal in this season, as we are going down quickly. Let's hope next coach will bring some stability.

I do think Miller is what's keeping this team going for now. Chances are almost non-existent of us making the playoffs thankfully. We'd be an embarrassment and a quick, first-round exit. Let's let Enroth start the rest of the games to guarantee first pick in the draft What can go wrong? Miller can wear a t-shirt that says "tanned, rested, ready" for next season.

There's just so much wrong with this team, a little of this, a little of that, and next thing you know, we suck! Even down to powerplay basics and puck movement. "good things happen when you throw pucks at the net" doesn't seem to be attempted much, I think we have the worst PP% in the league? All that comes down to coaching, but I am not blaming RR for that. He really is in a bad spot.

I've never seen a worse Sabres team before, and all we can do is go up from here. One or two games out of 5, we seem to play inspired and go all out. Then we have games like last night, where there is little effort. We definitely need a wholesale change and dump the dead weight.

Let the rebuilding commence!

sabres4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:31 AM
A Storm of Swords

Yeah we sucked, deserved to lose by a long shot but a few remarks on the officiating:

Do you think the refs not calling the boarding on Ennis earlier in the game may have played into Gerbe getting boarded later? The announcers went through gymnastics trying to explain why the Ennis play was not boarding but the Gerbe play was like they were not connected but do you think it's possible on the Gerbe play the Flyer was thinking "Great, they are not calling boarding today! I can get away with this."

Also, Scott getting a 10 minute penalty for going on the ice and talking to the Flyers. Why is the ref trying to protect their team? Scott going off for doing nothing pretty much gave them free rein to do what they want without worry about fighting him for the whole game.

The one part I liked was Weber fighting Simmons after the Ennis hit. Yeah Weber always loses but I respect him standing up for a teammate. Also, I liked the Rochester line. Other than that the game sucked.

A Storm of Swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
One regulation win in the last 11 games (against the 13th place team, no less). Ugly.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Zip15

Ugly: I understand Ott is a well-liked player around here, but why aren't more people getting on him for his lack of response to the Ennis hit? He was nearby when the hit happened, and he watched it. He did nothing more than bark at Berube and Lavi (again)--yay for talking trash to opponent coaches--at the end of the 1st period, and then proceeded to run around like an idiot for most of the remainder of the game. I was disappointed with his response, especially considering one of the reasons we got him was that so such incidents would not go unaddressed.

For all the guff given to players like Tallinder (Gomez on Miller) and Gaustad (Lucic on Miller), Ott shouldn't get a free pass for that pansyism last night. He allowed his buddy to get his ass kicked rather than to immediately deal with Simmonds.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:01 AM
cardiffgiant
Movin' on up!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Storm of Swords View Post
Yeah we sucked, deserved to lose by a long shot but a few remarks on the officiating:

Do you think the refs not calling the boarding on Ennis earlier in the game may have played into Gerbe getting boarded later? The announcers went through gymnastics trying to explain why the Ennis play was not boarding but the Gerbe play was like they were not connected but do you think it's possible on the Gerbe play the Flyer was thinking "Great, they are not calling boarding today! I can get away with this."

Also, Scott getting a 10 minute penalty for going on the ice and talking to the Flyers. Why is the ref trying to protect their team? Scott going off for doing nothing pretty much gave them free rein to do what they want without worry about fighting him for the whole game.

The one part I liked was Weber fighting Simmons after the Ennis hit. Yeah Weber always loses but I respect him standing up for a teammate. Also, I liked the Rochester line. Other than that the game sucked.
I don't think that the non-call on the Ennis hit played into the Schenn hit at all. I think that Schenn is just an idiot. Yeah, the Sabres were stinking it up all game and the refs apparently thought that the orange bands on their arms were Flyers colors, but risking a penalty that blatant in the third period of a 1 goal game is just stupid.

Last edited by cardiffgiant: 03-11-2013 at 08:08 AM.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:03 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
good- we didn't get shut out

bad-we lost

ugly-the hit on Ennis

I'd rather lose in the first round than get a lottery pick
I would as well, but there is no way this team makes the playoffs.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:19 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Ugly: I understand Ott is a well-liked player around here, but why aren't more people getting on him for his lack of response to the Ennis hit? He was nearby when the hit happened, and he watched it. He did nothing more than bark at Berube and Lavi (again)--yay for talking trash to opponent coaches--at the end of the 1st period, and then proceeded to run around like an idiot for most of the remainder of the game. I was disappointed with his response, especially considering one of the reasons we got him was that so such incidents would not go unaddressed.

For all the guff given to players like Tallinder (Gomez on Miller) and Gaustad (Lucic on Miller), Ott shouldn't get a free pass for that pansyism last night. He allowed his buddy to get his ass kicked rather than to immediately deal with Simmonds.
Most frustrating thing that's happened all season, IMO. We trade skill for toughness, and when it actually needs to show up, it's MIA. If Ott goes over and challenges Simmonds, the trade makes sense, at least in a way. The fact that he looked the other way... I just couldn't have been more disappointed.

Last edited by stokes84: 03-11-2013 at 08:24 AM.
stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:04 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

I really don't understand it. It's not like Ott is the usual pansy we're used to around here. He has been the kind of guy to stand up for his teammates, but this year he has just skated away multiple times after Ennis got boarded.

What the **** is going on?

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:08 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Looks like Vanek has started his annual disappearing act. He's gotta change the way he plays the game, there's always something wrong with him, and he's some much more than a guy who stands in front of the net.

We have our best playmaker and shooter in a place where he can do neither.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:10 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
The personnel on this team is so terrible that Steve Ott plays on the first power play and is on the ice trying to get the tying goal. Fire everyone.
I know it's Vanek's niche, but why not try a big guy like Myers or Scott (yeah I said it) in front of the net on the PP. Much like Ottawa used to do with Chara.

Myers can't seem to get his shot through and at this points why not try anything to screen the goalie better?

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:13 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Looks like Vanek has started his annual disappearing act. He's gotta change the way he plays the game, there's always something wrong with him, and he's some much more than a guy who stands in front of the net.

It's baffling that Vanek would be in front like that. That's a spot to put a guy like Ott or Foligno... Or even Stafford. So maybe shuffling of the lines are in order. But then people would be up in arms about breaking up VHP.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I really don't understand it. It's not like Ott is the usual pansy we're used to around here. He has been the kind of guy to stand up for his teammates, but this year he has just skated away multiple times after Ennis got boarded.

What the **** is going on?
He's not a pansy but he's not tough either. I like Ott but I never understood the way some posters and media like to describe him. The first game of the year when NBC was raving how much tougher we got with Steve Ott had me laughing. The guy rarely fights and when he does he is terrible at it. He hits a lot but I can't remember anyone ever being injured by a Steve Ott body check.

When he came into the league he was supposed to be nothing more than a 4th line pest if he even stuck in the NHL at all. He was a very gutless player most nights and was as dirty or dirtier than Kaleta is now. Over time with more experience and the fact that he's better offensively than anyone ever thought he would be and can win face-offs he someone morphed into a "tough player with intangibles". He's still the same pest who runs his mouth more often than not. He backs his **** up slightly more than when he first came into the league but he's never going to be the first guy on the ice to defend a teammate.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:15 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
I don't think that the non-call on the Ennis hit played into the Schenn hit at all. I think that Schenn is just an idiot. Yeah, the Sabres were stinking it up all game and the refs apparently thought that the orange bands on their arms were Flyers colors, but risking a penalty that blatant in the third period of a 1 goal game is just stupid.
The thing is Schenn does not think its going to be a penalty since apparently boarding is fair game as per the non call on Ennis earlier.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

The thing with Ott is that he isn't the player his legend makes him out to be, if he ever really was.

See Regehr, Robyn.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
Sekera played extremely well amongst that **** show and the stats show it. +2 and an assist.
Agreed. He was a bright spot. Some nights it looks like he has great hockey sense in the offensive zone, even if it doesn't translate over 82 games. Last night was one of those games. I thought he looked good.

Game-specific and general observations:

-People will get on Miller for the stinky goals against, but he had made some huge saves that many other 'tenders would not have. It could've been 2-0 in the first 90 seconds between Voracek's and B. Schenn's chances. If he was truly off last night, it could've been one of those 6-2 or 7-2 regular season games we've seen in Philly over the last few years.

-Regehr is playing with a fork stuck in his back. He either gets walked around to the outside, or he backs into Miller's lap when a player takes the puck at him with speed. I hope they've already asked to where he is willing to be traded at the deadline. I want no part of him next season. Darcy loves getting this type of player a year or two too late. If he's around this summer, I'm fully expecting that we'll sign Morrow or Clowe.

-Steve Ott had one of the worst games on the PP I've seen in a long, long time. I almost ran out of fingers to count his mistakes on the man advantage.

-Brennan is not an NHL player. Unless we get a 5-on-3, he is useless. I'm not breaking news here.

-Home game against the Devils aside, Pominville has been pretty poor since the calendar turned to February. Also, I hesitate to use the words "two-way forward" anymore. Over the last 100 games, he's at or towards the top in GA/60 at ES, confirming my subjective observations that the VHP line is a walking scoring chance, for better and worse.

-Vanek with two goals in his last 12 games. It's unfair to him, but the offense will sputter if he's even slightly off, as he has been the last couple weeks.

-"Hey Stan, your team gave up 12 goals this weekend to two non-playoff teams. You interested in a more consistent goaltender?"

Old
03-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post

He's taken his usual beating and been out of the lineup. Not sure if it is a disappearing act, or simply not being 100% (and not being 100% on a bad team at that).

03-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Dubi Doo

Quote:

Agreed 100%

It was disgraceful, tbh. He skated AWAY from Simmonds after the hit, watched Weber get rocked, and then talks **** and does absolutely nothing to back it up. Kalate would've been the first one to drop the gloves if he had seen that happen.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote