HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
02-25-2013, 09:55 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Think I'm going to try and track down a Warrior Vanek blade again. Very little curve, gradually opens up from the heel, just a very mild toe curve on it, longer, 5-ish lie.
Hehe I opted for the Vanek on my custom Widow coming from a P106 and have grown to love the pattern. A good in-between from a PM9 to a P106.

In anticipation of buying a prostock Brett Hull (read: intermediate whip flex) shaft, I snagged up a couple of AK27 Vanek blades for 40% off, in which they are now eagerly awaiting stick coitus with Syn-bomb

Hockey monkey has a fantastic selection of Vanek curves left, mostly in their clearance Dolomites and Dolo Spynes (stock and pro stock).

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:39 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
I couldn't name all the sticks I've used, but for a while now, my go to is the Reebok 20K 75(and 85) P87A. I play mostly D, but never take slappers. I'm more a puck moving guy, and shoot second player. So I'm pretty light on my stick, the most abuse it'll get is from someone slashing my stick or a puck deflecting off it. I use the 75/85 flex due to the pains I get in my left arm/wrist. The blade in my opinion, is the best all around blade for anyone. The light slappers I have taken usually do hit my targets, but pains my left arm and wrist haha. I don't think there's a better overall stick though, personally. For any position.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:59 PM
thedonger

I'm really liking what I saw in the new Dynasty AX1(didn't care for the way the original felt in the hands and didn't hear many positive comments about it).
Right now I'm torn between the ax1 and dt2. Generally prefer mid kick sticks (favorite to date is T1 75 flex int but snapped quickly on me) but am torn between choosing a stick for the curve(prefer p14/chara and it's not available on the ax1 int's) or for preferred flex profile (mid kick). Wondering if I'll be able to convert back to the kopitar curve. Decisions, decisions....

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ach! AIR, PM me if you ever want to get rid of the Hull shaft

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:43 PM
BmxHockey

If you get the new dynasty please start a new thread and report back. I held that thing and examined it and loved all the little upgrades they did especially on the blade, etc. Have a couple dolomite HDs and those were awesome overall Warrior sticks.

Thx.

BmxHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Lady Justice
Mostly Harmless

vCash: 564
I've used an ancient Montreal wood stick with the European curve for a long, long time (the things never seem to break). Been thinking about getting a new stick lately but don't want to give up a curve that's out of production. Did some searching around for something similar and actually stumbled upon a thread by Jarick on another site.

Will be trying an Easton Heatley curve with my next stick thanks to the info I found in it.

Lady Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:06 PM
AIREAYE

There are a lot of reviews-in-progress on the AX1 over at MSH, though considering who they've been seeded to, I'd rather hear something from Jarick lol.

Regarding the shaft, if it comes to it, I'll let you know!

My beloved One95 is nearing retirement age, so I have a little interest in another good mid-kick stick. Aside from the obvious NXG, I'm intrigued by the AX1 and T100.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hah! That's kind of disappointing the lack of feedback those testers gave. I got the opportunity to test a stick for MSH and was my usual long-winded self, but I kind of feel like you owe that for getting a free stick in the mail.

Oh neat, in my first use I mentioned the thinner walls could be a durability issue, and it was.

The AX1 I think could be a real hit. I really liked the DT2 outside of the low kickpoint. I had to go lighter flex and while my shots were very hard and quick release, they torqued off target. A higher flex and more mid kick would fix that.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:01 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Picked up a Reebok 11k intermediate (65flex) stick (Datsyuk P38 curve). Not sure if I like it. Has a lower kick point than I'm used to. Handling the puck is comfortable though, as is taking passes. Hopefully I get used to the release and can start putting the puck where I want to on my shots. Probably the lightest stick I've ever had.

Most stores seem to have them on clearance right now.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Knight

Alright, so over a year ago I gambled on hockeymonkey's mystery stick pack. I received an 85 flex RBK 8.0.8 Hamrlik curve and a 100 Flex Warrior Bandito Kovalev curve, and I've been using the RBK pretty much the whole time with the Warrior as my back up. I stayed away from the Warrior because I knew that the 100 flex would be pretty useless with my twig-like arms (I'm 6' 165).

Anyways, last night at pickup, I decided to use the Warrior for giggles now that I have a lot more hockey experience under my belt, and I was able to wrist the puck way harder than the RBK, and lift it easier too. The thing is, the stick is still stiff as a board, and trying to take slappers was pretty hilarious. I wasn't expecting the huge difference between the Hamrlik and Kovalev curve.

So now I'm thinking, why don't I just get a Warrior 75 (? I think I would really benefit from a whippier stick even though I have pretty much zero experience with them) flex Kovalev stick, sell the old one, and keep the RBK as my backup. Oh and I also love the Nipple Grip too.

Anyone have any warrior stick recommendations?

Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:54 PM
AIREAYE

You can find Widows and Dynasties for good prices. As well as older Dolomites. I think that in your case, switching to the much more open Kovalev curve from the closed Hamrlik made the biggest difference.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:37 AM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Alright, so over a year ago I gambled on hockeymonkey's mystery stick pack. I received an 85 flex RBK 8.0.8 Hamrlik curve and a 100 Flex Warrior Bandito Kovalev curve, and I've been using the RBK pretty much the whole time with the Warrior as my back up. I stayed away from the Warrior because I knew that the 100 flex would be pretty useless with my twig-like arms (I'm 6' 165).

Anyways, last night at pickup, I decided to use the Warrior for giggles now that I have a lot more hockey experience under my belt, and I was able to wrist the puck way harder than the RBK, and lift it easier too. The thing is, the stick is still stiff as a board, and trying to take slappers was pretty hilarious. I wasn't expecting the huge difference between the Hamrlik and Kovalev curve.

So now I'm thinking, why don't I just get a Warrior 75 (? I think I would really benefit from a whippier stick even though I have pretty much zero experience with them) flex Kovalev stick, sell the old one, and keep the RBK as my backup. Oh and I also love the Nipple Grip too.

Anyone have any warrior stick recommendations?
I'd say you're on the right track. I'm 6' 155/160 myself, and you will not regret a 75 flex. Just make sure however Warrior isn't a lowflex brand (eg,maybe their 75 is more like a 70). The others with more equipment experience than me can weigh in on that part.

PlayBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Kovalev puts a lot of zip on the puck. Most of any curve I've found.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:24 PM
mgd150

Posted this in the other thread, thought I'd ask it here too. Anyone have any experience with the Rbk 9K? I'm thinking of picking one up, I currently use the Ai5 but I think the kick point is too high for me. I prefer the kick on my Easton 65S, but like the Reebok Datsyuk curve better, feeling like the 9K Datsyuk could be perfect.

mgd150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Thesensation19*

Not much of an expert on sticks...at all

What I like in a blade is flatter than most. Zetterberg or Cammys Easton is general for me. Flatter blade gives me better feel for stickhandling and better back hand.

Thought id like wood sticks but so far each ones blade breaks within a few games. Dk what to do. I have a better feel for the puck on it, dont mind the weight but the blade falls apart quickly.

Though the S19 doesnt last too long competively, the tip of the blade is broken and soft. It still has proven to be my fav feel for a stick in all areas. Still use it

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:09 AM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

When my old Synergy finally died on me I tried a bunch of new sticks and finally settled on an 87 flex Total One with Kane curve. I definitely notice the increase in the power of my shots with this bad boy and my backhand has never been better. In fact, the fake forehand to backhand is my new favorite move. the only thing I would change about it is make it about half an inch longer. I'll probably end up putting a plug in it.

As for Eastons I'd love to buy an RS or a Mako but they just dont have the durability that they used to. We get a ton of broken ones back at the store.

BigNumber1Centre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Been shooting in my basement quite a bit this week. Gravitating to a flatter, less open curve. Swapped my tweaked Forsberg into my old TPS intermediate shaft as the SE16 felt heavy. Better. Maybe doesn't have quite the power but wow, when I go back to my P14, the accuracy is all over the map.

I think a big part of my problem was trying to use more of that "toe" shot from the Easton videos. That messed me up big-time. Going back more to mid/heel has helped my accuracy quite a bit, where the toe shooting is hit or miss.

I've also extended my sticks about 2" since summer, which is odd. I'm gripping lower on the sticks while shooting and was topping pucks. Probably not bending my knees as much as I should be.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Had a lot of trouble getting my shots on net last night. I missed about five shots, all high and wide. Going to cut the sticks down again, or swap the plugs for shorter ones in my case.

Still want to go to a flatter curve so I can work on my passing game though.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Ozz

Since I've come to love my APX over my other sticks, I picked up a 2nd with a P92 curve which is more my usual style. Now I'll combine the feel of the APX w/the feel of my familiar curve. Hopefully I'm not too familiar w/the P88 on my current APX in that it makes the P92 feel awkward.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:43 PM
tawheed

I've been stuck on SE16s for a LONG time.. I'd find leftovers and buy a couple at a time. Finally, I can't find them anymore, picked up a retail Mako 2 in Hall/Sakic 75 flex.. WOW, this stick is amazing.

tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Had a lot of trouble getting my shots on net last night. I missed about five shots, all high and wide. Going to cut the sticks down again, or swap the plugs for shorter ones in my case.

Still want to go to a flatter curve so I can work on my passing game though.
With your Bauer Ovy blade? If so no wonder. I would never tame such a beast.

PlayBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't use an Ovy curve. P92 or P14.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Thesensation19*

Whatever happened to the sticks with holes in it for no wind resistant haha. Those were nice idea. wonder if there cheap now

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:10 PM
AIREAYE

You won't be able to to find the original 9KO unless it's on an online marketplace. the 8.0.8 can be found in some places. Are you in Canada?

Old
03-11-2013, 10:32 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Been shooting in my basement quite a bit this week. Gravitating to a flatter, less open curve. Swapped my tweaked Forsberg into my old TPS intermediate shaft as the SE16 felt heavy. Better. Maybe doesn't have quite the power but wow, when I go back to my P14, the accuracy is all over the map.

I think a big part of my problem was trying to use more of that "toe" shot from the Easton videos. That messed me up big-time. Going back more to mid/heel has helped my accuracy quite a bit, where the toe shooting is hit or miss.

I've also extended my sticks about 2" since summer, which is odd. I'm gripping lower on the sticks while shooting and was topping pucks. Probably not bending my knees as much as I should be.
Agreed big time. I would always sweep the puck, which is pretty unreal with a Kremlin/Ovi/P08 pattern (and shooting off the toe), but I've moved to a P91a/Kovalev/Drury pattern since I my sweep is a little slow and most of my goals are in tight. I shoot off the heel/mid now, but am still trying to get some power behind it. Old habits die hard, and I think not having the whole sweep is costing me in terms of velocity.

I just picked up a shooting pad ans some pucks, so I think it's time I improved my snap shot - more specifically, getting my hands out in front of me. I still can't pull off that little 'double-tap' guys like Kovalchuk do so well (my buddy has a rocket and shoots like this), but I think it's time I learned.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote