HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Devils sale

Old
03-10-2013, 02:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Love to have Clarkson on the Rangers.

03-10-2013, 02:16 PM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Our #1 C is a #2 on most playoff teams in the league. Henrique and Zajac are not true #1 C's they'll both be good 2nd line centers.

Urbom is nothing to write home about, Urbom isn't a significant piece. He is a throw in if anything. So a #2 C and a throw in for A young 50-60 point player whose only improving.

I can name about 3 guys who are better than Urbom... Merrill, Gelinas, and Severson are all better
To a point I disagree. Those three might have more upside and potential to be the better NHL player. However Urbom has played on the big club before. He is without a doubt the most NHL ready our of that list and can still contribute to be a serviceable and suburb bottom-pairing defenseman. We won't know how much better (if any better) Merrill, Gelinas and Severson are for at least another year (at the very, very least because that's when I can see someone like Gelinas getting a few games if we don't re-sign Zids...which is likely.) And let's face it - the Jets need help when it comes to bottom pairing D. You talk about Urbom not being "anything to write home about" I can say the same about Clitsome & Postma. (I would for sure rather have Urbom over Clitsome.)

Last edited by MJMazzarone: 03-10-2013 at 02:21 PM.
MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
lots of uninformed posts in this thread.

Zajac is not going to be traded. whether you guys like it or not.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:50 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

vCash: 983
Loktionov already untouchable?? lol.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:57 PM
SMantzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Almost as lolworthy as Kreider last year,huh?

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:05 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Almost as lolworthy as Kreider last year,huh?
Pretty much every 1st round pick is "untouchable" or at least considered so by the team that drafted them along with their fans. Loktionov was acquired with a 5th round pick and has played 13 competitive games as part of the Devils organization. He had a nice start to his Devils career but to consider him untouchable at this point is ridiculous in my opinion.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:24 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Pretty much every 1st round pick is "untouchable" or at least considered so by the team that drafted them along with their fans. Loktionov was acquired with a 5th round pick and has played 13 competitive games as part of the Devils organization. He had a nice start to his Devils career but to consider him untouchable at this point is ridiculous in my opinion.
Well it's a good thing no one asked for it, because our system is extraordinarily thin on young forwards with top-6 potential. Trading away a developing player that fills your biggest organizational need, a player that you just gave assets to acquire and already has chemistry with your best player, is the stupidest thing NJ could do right now.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Well it's a good thing no one asked for it, because our system is extraordinarily thin on young forwards with top-6 potential. Trading away a developing player that fills your biggest organizational need, a player that you just gave assets to acquire and already has chemistry with your best player, is the stupidest thing NJ could do right now.
It's not so much that he's untouchable as there is no reason to give him up, especially, when the return won't come anywhere near what he can become?

Why should we give up a 22 year old offensive center when our forwards are bare and our forward prospects are horrific?

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:00 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
Kulemin isn't worth a 1st round pick. I like Kuley, but we also can't afford to trade young forwards

2nd one I might consider, probably not though since Grabo has been converted into a checking forward, and we already have a former #1C who is now a checking forward with a 5+ mil cap hit
New Jersey would put him in a offensive role I guess if they'd do that trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
As a fan I like both of these packages however they are both unrealistic. The Devils won't touch Grabo's contract...Even though he is better then JJ...who would be the main focal point of this trade on the Devils side. Pietila is an unknown and the pick is a pick. Not to mention since the Devils are low on draft picks (in the draft that they are hosting this year.) I would believe they are going to very hesitant in trading other draft picks.

Your first one is fair value wise...but again I can't see Lou trading Matteau. Organization is high on the kid right now. Although I would much rather have Kulemin I just don't see this being considered...

Elias-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Kulemin-Grabo-Clarkson
Poni-Loki-Zubrus (when healthy. Since Harrold plays RW as well as D he can take that spot until then. Either him or Kostopoulos.)
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I'd love that. So much. That would be quite a deep team. I'm sure any other GM would do those two moves as well...just doesn't strike me as moves Lou would make though.
Yeah, fair enough.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:04 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Chemistry with your best player translates to 5 points in 10 games, and only one time where they actually combined on a goal? Not saying he's trash, but wasn't expecting Devils fans to throw an untouchable label on him already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
It's not so much that he's untouchable as there is no reason to give him up, especially, when the return won't come anywhere near what he can become?

Why should we give up a 22 year old offensive center when our forwards are bare and our forward prospects are horrific?
That sounds much more reasonable.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:26 PM
jeromeo87

Can/does Greene play the right side?

What would it take from Carolina to acquire Greene and Clarkson?

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:48 PM
MadDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Because Zajac is playing like a plug who is going to have a caphit of $5.75M for the foreseeable future. His PPGs multiplied over an 82 game season in the last four seasons are: 67, 44, 33, and 25 points. Some people will give him the benefit of the doubt due to his injuries, some people are going to view his injuries as just another negative - same thing is happening to Ryan Kesler right now (who has still been doing much better than Zajac - still averaging high fifty point seasons after two mid seventy point seasons despite his injuries).

E. Kane on the other hand is on pace to put up a career year - 30 goals, 60 points, while being the engine that drives his line, with a lower cap hit than Zajac.

It's pretty easy to see why you would make this trade especially if Urbom is the only thing you would need to add...Winnipeg doesn't touch this deal with a 10-foot pole.
That's great, but we have no center depth as it is. Trading our best center (even if he is having a terrible year offensively) for another winger doesn't make a lot of sense. I love Henrique, but he's at best a#2 center (if he doesn't end up as a winger). After him we have nothing. Elias is on the downswing of his career (although he seems to age like a fine wine), Loktionov has been good but who know if that will continue. What are we going to do, convert Kovalchuk to a center?

MadDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Czech Trio

Quote:
Devils has almost no NHL quality forward prospects. Loktionov isn't Datsyuk but he has shown what he can do. Unless were getting a young better forward back for Loki trading him would be stupid.

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:32 PM
The Green Unit

Quote:
What's so funny ? He's been the only bright spot the last 2 weeks for us and he's one of the few Devils players that can keep up with Kovalchuk.

We want to keep him, end of story.

The Green Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Mgd31

What?

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:18 AM
masterson*

The Devils are in a ton of trouble. Their best players are on the wrong side of the career curve, i.e. Elias, Brodeur, or in difficult situations because of contracts, i.e. Kovalchuk, Zajac. Clarkson, who may be of great value to some teams, is now a huge problem waiting to happen as his numbers and overall package 100% warrant 5 million + a year, and any agent worth a damn will be shooting for this, however nobody in their right minds really thinks he can sustain the production he has shown the last season or two, which means whoever pays him what his numbers dictate he's worth, will be very badly regretting it in the not so distant future.

masterson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:33 AM
startainfection*

clarkson to the islanders for boyes and something else?

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:41 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
clarkson to the islanders for boyes and something else?
lol no...if we were to trade him, which we're not, it sure as **** isn't to a team in the division...none-the-less for brad boyes...

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:46 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterson View Post
The Devils are in a ton of trouble. Their best players are on the wrong side of the career curve, i.e. Elias, Brodeur, or in difficult situations because of contracts, i.e. Kovalchuk, Zajac. Clarkson, who may be of great value to some teams, is now a huge problem waiting to happen as his numbers and overall package 100% warrant 5 million + a year, and any agent worth a damn will be shooting for this, however nobody in their right minds really thinks he can sustain the production he has shown the last season or two, which means whoever pays him what his numbers dictate he's worth, will be very badly regretting it in the not so distant future.
You're approaching this as if the Devils want and need to sell off their players and re-build.

Not only do they not need to do so (this team may not contend for Cups but they're closer to contending than they are bottom-feeding IMO), the Devils front office don't want to do a fire-sale.

When have the Devils EVER traded away players for prospects, etc. when things have gone sour?

If the Devils are in trouble, so be it.. but it's not Lou's way to mail in on a season and send everyone with value away. He'll want his team to go down fighting ala 2011.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:53 AM
masterson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
You're approaching this as if the Devils want and need to sell off their players and re-build.

Not only do they not need to do so (this team may not contend for Cups but they're closer to contending than they are bottom-feeding IMO), the Devils front office don't want to do a fire-sale.

When have the Devils EVER traded away players for prospects, etc. when things have gone sour?

If the Devils are in trouble, so be it.. but it's not Lou's way to mail in on a season and send everyone with value away. He'll want his team to go down fighting ala 2011.
They probably wont. But their problems are glaring. No first round pick in one of the two next seasons, best players are not in the long term picture outside of Kovalchuk, no forward prospects, solid but unspectacular defenseman (which sucks because these type of guys regularly get 3-4 mil a year even though they arent worth it, i.e. Salvador) and no goalie after Brodeur retires. Offense will likely be their biggest issue, even with Elias, who is 35+ they cant score, and their best line YTD has been Gionta, Carter, Bernier, which DeBoer seems intent on breaking up because Zajac is playing awful.

masterson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:48 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterson View Post
They probably wont. But their problems are glaring. No first round pick in one of the two next seasons, best players are not in the long term picture outside of Kovalchuk, no forward prospects, solid but unspectacular defenseman (which sucks because these type of guys regularly get 3-4 mil a year even though they arent worth it, i.e. Salvador) and no goalie after Brodeur retires. Offense will likely be their biggest issue, even with Elias, who is 35+ they cant score, and their best line YTD has been Gionta, Carter, Bernier, which DeBoer seems intent on breaking up because Zajac is playing awful.
Zajac, despite struggles, are both in the long-term plans of the Devils. You don't sign a guy for 8 years if you don't think he's here for the long-term..

They will have problems, but you seem to pick and choose where you will consider possible solutions.

Offense- They have absolutely no forward prospects and will need to address that asap. Kovalchuk, Zajac, Henrique and even Elias (for another 2-3 years) will be okay for now top-line wise. Devils need to hope Boucher, Matteau or an unheard of prospect takes a big jump in development to the NHL level in the next few years as their current players hit UFA. They actually are ok for the next two years, though that really depends on Clarkson staying here in the summer.

Defense- Absolutely not the problem for the Devils. As the current D fades out, I expect an extremely solid and skilled core of Larsson, Fayne, Greene + one of the many defensive prospects (Merril, Gelinas, Burlon) who are playing very well in the minors, etc. Tallinder and Volchenkov both suck but I'd imagine neither are on this team in 2 years either through amnesty buyouts or trades.

Goaltending- Marty is set for another year after this one and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down yet. Wedgewood IMO is the ultimate hope in goal but he's another 3-4 years away. I think the plan would be to have Kinkaid and a UFA goalie split the time until Wedgewood is ready.

They aren't really in trouble at all. They are more in an awkward time where their offense doesn't match up to the caliber of defense/goaltending they have (i.e. wasting a solid defensive core) though that hasn't been the problem as of late. I think the offense will remain to lag behind the defensive core, which again has some really impressive prospects, unless/until it is addressed via UFA/trades.

Short story- they really just need another top 6 forward, preferably a LW to play with Kovalchuk. That + some clearing of the defense to open up room for prospects will be a good recipe for success the next 2-3 years. Obviously, goalie will be an issue after that but IMO, average goalies are a dime a dozen in this league and while whoever replaces Marty won't be able to live up to his standards... I'm not too worried as we've survived stretches with an average Marty/Clemmenson/etc. and played well enough to compete.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:09 AM
The Green Unit

Of course rangers fan.

The Green Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Clarkson to the Mapple Leafs for Keuliman and Riemer.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Robert Theodorson

The team is suffering from poor coaching and Hedberg has **** the bed pretty much every night sans last nights SO win.

You have no idea how much energy the return of Marty will inject into this team, and sitting in a playoff spot right now, there's no way the Devils are sellers.

The only real option on the table is Henrik Tallinder and/or Anton Volchenkov and both their values are extremely low right now.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:08 AM
PhiladelphiaKessel
DontCrossthe****Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroku Saki View Post
Clarkson to the Mapple Leafs for Keuliman and Riemer.
Love to have Clarkson on the leafs but not at that price. Also we have too many wingers as it is

PhiladelphiaKessel is offline   Reply With Quote