HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Need a Goalie

Old
03-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Thanks for coming out Steve.
Too bad posters can't express their opinions without potshots like this being taken at them, eh IATL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulus
When you have limited assets to trade you need to use them on bigger issues than goaltending right now. Maybe an upgrade in the future once other much more pressing areas have been dealt with.

A real team in front of Dubnyk will do wonders.
Agreed 100%. Lowering the shot count and limiting the number of quality chances the opposition gets will accomplish a ton in terms of turning the worm for this club.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:36 AM
0ilerman
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I think the Caps are going to hold onto Holtby.
even if we offered up Omark?

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Debonair

Quote:
I guess we will have to disagree then. Im no nhl'er but Ive played on teams with poor goaltending and it is absolutely deflating and demoralizing. Crap like the dump in goal from the other night and his bizarre decision to try and race for the puck tonight, but doing so very nonchalantly is unacceptable at the NHL level.

Its not just a one off. It is happening regularly. Bad goals, lapses in concentration, he plays well some nights and in stretches, but then he lets in another soft goal and it deflates the team. We need a goalie who steals us games like Roli or Cujo used to, not one who costs us games.

Status quo is NOT ok.
Agree completely. But Dubnyk isn't allowed to be scrutinized on here like every other player. Just because he faces a ton of shots doesn't mean he should get a free pass for all the garbage he lets in.

Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Too bad posters can't express their opinions without potshots like this being taken at them, eh IATL?
...and the guy wonders why a decent majority of posters here act like a dick towards him.

Quote:
Agreed 100%. Lowering the shot count and limiting the number of quality chances the opposition gets will accomplish a ton in terms of turning the worm for this club.
I agree with this however I am still concerned about Dubnyks crappy goal a game trend.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
Agree completely. But Dubnyk isn't allowed to be scrutinized on here like every other player. Just because he faces a ton of shots doesn't mean he should get a free pass for all the garbage he lets in.
Definitely shouldn't get a free pass but I'd hate to make a knee jerk reaction on him before we ever get a legitimate defense back and then watch our new goalie struggle while Dubnyk is leading the BJ's to a playoff berth.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Elever
Hth

I find it funny that people think Dubnyk will improve significantly. He's 26 years old not some 22 who tore up the AHL at one point. His minor stats were never impressive (maybe he played for a bad team, I dunno). He's had two seasons of 30+ games, approaching a third, that's more than what most goalies get a chance at.

Face the reality that's he a backup who can play a decent number of games. Better goalies have done more with worst defences.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Mike Smith!

Sign him in the off season!

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:46 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
Neuvirth or Holtby would be nice. Both young guys that could push dubey, if not supplant him as the starter. Holtby is a local area guy, and that always helps.
Both have been brutal this year.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
...and the guy wonders why a decent majority of posters here act like a dick towards him.

I agree with this however I am still concerned about Dubnyks crappy goal a game trend.
It's something you have to keep in mind, but really is that the reason this team is losing? Take away those crappy goals and are we in a secure playoff situation?

Old
03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
If Fasth takes over the starting role from Anaheim, I hope we can swing a deal for Hiller. I doubt it will happen.
Hiller has only had about 2 good years, and aside from that he was inconsistent and has had health issues.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I find it funny that people think Dubnyk will improve significantly. He's 26 years old not some 22 who tore up the AHL at one point. His minor stats were never impressive (maybe he played for a bad team, I dunno). He's had two seasons of 30+ games, approaching a third, that's more than what most goalies get a chance at.

Face the reality that's he a backup who can play a decent number of games. Better goalies have done more with worst defences.
Are you implying that goalies peak at 24-25 years old? We're not talking about forwards here...

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChadSC
SportingCharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Would you be confident going into the playoffs with a guy like Dubnyk?

I'm not sure how the answer could be yes to this question based on what we have seen from him throughout his career.
Worry about getting to the playoffs first.

ChadSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Mike Smith!

Sign him in the off season!
Sean Burke!

Seriously. Pry Burke out of Phoenix as goalie coach. He made Bryzgalov a Vezina finalist, and took Mike Smith from being a career backup to a Vezina finalist. Smith will sign a huge contract this summer and be exposed. It's all Sean Burke.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:04 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It's something you have to keep in mind, but really is that the reason this team is losing? Take away those crappy goals and are we in a secure playoff situation?
Well we've lost 7 games by one goal. A couple more by 2. Letting in a bad goal is deflating for the team. So I dunno I'd estimate 5 more points? That would be in the payoff mix for sure.

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
ChadSC
SportingCharts

Of active goaltenders with over 100 games played:

Dubnyk is:
  • 27th in save percentage
  • 43rd in goals against average
  • 3rd in saves per game

ChadSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
Oh goodness tambo has a mess. Dubnyk would be a great backup. I have no idea why he got 3.5. I have no idea who is better out there, but I am pretty sure giving bad goal Dubnyk 3.5 million isn't it.
If I remeber correctly, the vast majority of people on this board were shocked that DD was overpaid and received 3.5 million a year.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Sean Burke!

Seriously. Pry Burke out of Phoenix as goalie coach. He made Bryzgalov a Vezina finalist, and took Mike Smith from being a career backup to a Vezina finalist. Smith will sign a huge contract this summer and be exposed. It's all Sean Burke.
Ironically, if you were to ask me which former NHLer Dubnyk most resembles (in terms of playing style) it would be Burke.

Granted, Burke had a fantastic glove hand and had fewer technical issues than Dubnyk, but I do think that if Dubnyk had Burke as a a coach, he would have a Mike Smith type of season.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
stangconv

Lowe must go!!

Old
03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

You can't let one moment define a career. Dubs has been up and down, but has kept us in a lot of games this year.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Well we've lost 7 games by one goal. A couple more by 2. Letting in a bad goal is deflating for the team. So I dunno I'd estimate 5 more points? That would be in the payoff mix for sure.
Considering how little we score, those seven one goal games could be remedied by not being the lowest scoring team in the league. You can't expect the goalie to throw up gooseggs or single goal games every night, expecially with our piss poor defense.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
When you have limited assets to trade you need to use them on bigger issues than goaltending right now. Maybe an upgrade in the future once other much more pressing areas have been dealt with.

A real team in front of Dubnyk will do wonders.
There is no bigger issue than goaltending right now.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:58 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
It was meant as a joke. Unlike your arrogant display.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:59 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Considering how little we score, those seven one goal games could be remedied by not being the lowest scoring team in the league. You can't expect the goalie to throw up gooseggs or single goal games every night, expecially with our piss poor defense.
But you can count on him to let in one softy each game. Generally he is ok, but that brainfart/game is the issue.

In no way am i saying Dubnyk is THE problem. But it is one of many, that needs to be addressed. If we did have a goaltender who is capable of stealing a game or 2, that might give the team some confidence and allow them to play a little more looser to score those goals.

Look at how much kipper helped that horrible Calgary team. Now they have crap tending and are sitting with us.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
But you can count on him to let in one softy each game. Generally he is ok, but that brainfart/game is the issue.

In no way am i saying Dubnyk is THE problem. But it is one of many, that needs to be addressed. If we did have a goaltender who is capable of stealing a game or 2, that might give the team some confidence and allow them to play a little more looser to score those goals.

Look at how much kipper helped that horrible Calgary team. Now they have crap tending and are sitting with us.
I don't think its a brainfart/game. I do agree he lets in some softies, obviously. But it is exaggerated around these parts.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

Didn't good goaltending result in a sense of false hope in CGY?