HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets prospect Arturs Kulda to return to NHL (UPD: signs 1 year/550K deal)

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 11:11 AM
scelaton

vCash: 500
I've been very high on Kulda and think he could make a substantial difference down the stretch. I'd rate him as #5 among our defencemen already and #2 among healthy LHD. With size, youth and defensive smarts, he could stick around.
One concern, and this is just speculation: Could this mean that Enstrom is out for a much longer period? If he did indeed suffer a shoulder dislocation/labral injury, he could re-injure it with contact and therefore be rested till off-season surgery.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Cannot say I saw this one coming at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
Any Sibir Novosibirsk fans in this thread? How has he played this year?
Not a particular fan, but I did watch some of their games, mostly just due to Kulda. Scored a lot early, but that was never going to last. Sibir was an offense first attacking team, Kulda was about the only defensive defenseman they had. As such he played huge minutes. Finished the year top 10 in icetime, along with his partner Nikita Zaitsev. Those guy played all the tough minutes, including against NHL superstars like Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, etc. Kulda's smooth stride and nice first pass were huge on the big ice. Despite the early breakout (his 9 goals were a career high for him dating back to junior) he still will not be offensive, doesn't take chances. Safe steady defenseman. The idea with Kulda is that you will not notice him. He never makes a bad play, but rarely makes the big hit or jumps in offensively either.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Kulda plays a similar game to Stuart, and Chevy 'might' be getting interesting inquiries about Stuart. I like Stuart's gritty game, but I don't think there are many untouchable players on the Jets. I don't think Stuart is going anywhere, but Kulda seems to be a potential replacement for him.
No he doesn't. If anything, Kulda would play closer to a Ron Hainsey than a Mark Stuart. Stuart is poor positionally, poor first pass, shot blocking, hard hitting defenseman. Kulda is all about positioning, skating, and his first pass. Stuart is NOT a defensive defenseman, he is a physical defenseman. There a key difference there. Kulda is a defensive defenseman. I would rather have Kulda out there against teams top lines than Stuart...particularly considering Kulda has spent most of the year shutting down NHL superstars already...

I cannot fathom Kulda agreeing to come back if Winnipeg had any intention of sending him to St. John's, so this has to be a Winnipeg move, IMO.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

vCash: 50
Need LHD, makes sense

Old
03-11-2013, 11:27 AM
JetsWillFly4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I cannot fathom Kulda agreeing to come back if Winnipeg had any intention of sending him to St. John's, so this has to be a Winnipeg move, IMO.
Completely agree, his time in Europe could have been a blessing in disguise for both him and the Jets imo.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Aries56

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
I've been very high on Kulda and think he could make a substantial difference down the stretch. I'd rate him as #5 among our defencemen already and #2 among healthy LHD. With size, youth and defensive smarts, he could stick around.
One concern, and this is just speculation: Could this mean that Enstrom is out for a much longer period? If he did indeed suffer a shoulder dislocation/labral injury, he could re-injure it with contact and therefore be rested till off-season surgery.
They're been very quiet about Toby's injury, but I don't think this move has anything to do with him. I think this is more keeping our prospects in our system, and having more options on our back end (especially with trade deadline looming).

I have a feeling Kulda is coming back because he wants to play in North America. I don't think the Jets had to beg him to come back.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:36 AM
GaryinPrague

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I guess this means one of our defensemen are going to be traded at the deadline.

I'm hoping it's Clitsome.
I think exactly this, but clitsome has no real value, i bet, they just got word hainsey wont resign, and they'll probably trade him at the deadline.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:38 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

Cannot say I saw this one coming at all...

Not a particular fan, but I did watch some of their games, mostly just due to Kulda. Scored a lot early, but that was never going to last. Sibir was an offense first attacking team, Kulda was about the only defensive defenseman they had. As such he played huge minutes. Finished the year top 10 in icetime, along with his partner Nikita Zaitsev. Those guy played all the tough minutes, including against NHL superstars like Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, etc. Kulda's smooth stride and nice first pass were huge on the big ice. Despite the early breakout (his 9 goals were a career high for him dating back to junior) he still will not be offensive, doesn't take chances. Safe steady defenseman. The idea with Kulda is that you will not notice him. He never makes a bad play, but rarely makes the big hit or jumps in offensively either.
What happened to his hit. I loved his crushing hits.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I am really happy about this. I honestly thought he looked like the most NHL ready of the our AHL guys in the 2011-12 camp and preseason. Safe LH stay at home D man. There is zero risk to this and it allows us to see if he has what it takes to make the NHL.

Did this happen because the KHL season has ended?
Missed this one, but yes, Sibir was eliminated in the first round of the KHL playoffs on March 5th, so this is why Sibir would allow them to have Kulda.

Hopefully our #10 D (Meech) gets sent back to St. John's now...

Wonder if they will just toss him into the fire on Thursday (can't see him making it for tomorrow at this point since I assume he is back at home in Latvia)...

Kulda - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma

Please?

Old
03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
What happened to his hit. I loved his crushing hits.
Kulda's never been a big hitter? Not sure what you are talking about...he's not soft like a Hainsey, he battles real hard, and will take a hitting opportunity if it's presented, but he never goes out of his way to make the big hit, he'd rather cause the turnover/stop the rush.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:51 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Kulda's never been a big hitter? Not sure what you are talking about...he's not soft like a Hainsey, he battles real hard, and will take a hitting opportunity if it's presented, but he never goes out of his way to make the big hit, he'd rather cause the turnover/stop the rush.
actually Im pretty sure he was a hitter when he played with the Wolves? Not a Stuart but neither a timide guy.

Overall this is very good news for us and I'm pretty sure one of Postma/Redmond will be moved in the off-season and Hainsey or Stuart at the deadline if we're not making the playoffs.

Enström - Buff
Hainsey - Bogosian
Kulda - Trouba

+ Postma or Redmond

could be our lineup for 13/14

awesome!

Old
03-11-2013, 11:53 AM
BennyTheJet

He was probably pissed that Bogosian stole his number, now he's come to senses and returned.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
He has boomed lots of people. When he steps in, they often go down.

Not saying he does it all the time, but I have seen him blow up plenty.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries56 View Post
They're been very quiet about Toby's injury, but I don't think this move has anything to do with him. I think this is more keeping our prospects in our system, and having more options on our back end (especially with trade deadline looming).
I hope you're right, but imagine this scenario:
It is the end of March, a week before the trade deadline, and Toby is still out indefinitely. Jets are 2 points out of a playoff spot and so is Philly. They (or a similarly-positioned team) offer the Jets a first-rounder for Hainsey, because they feel it's their god-given right to make the playoffs every year. Hainsey has already made it clear he wants to play on the E coast. If Jets make the trade, Clitsome and Kulda instantly become our top 2 LHD.
What would you do?

Old
03-11-2013, 12:00 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
I hope you're right, but imagine this scenario:
It is the end of March, a week before the trade deadline, and Toby is still out indefinitely. Jets are 2 points out of a playoff spot and so is Philly. They (or a similarly-positioned team) offer the Jets a first-rounder for Hainsey, because they feel it's their god-given right to make the playoffs every year. Hainsey has already made it clear he wants to play on the E coast. If Jets make the trade, Clitsome and Kulda instantly become our top 2 LHD.
What would you do?
Toby is skating. That is good news.

Hopefully he is back soon.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

Yeah, well that's cause he's smart when he does jump in. He does hit, as I said he doesn't shy away or anything and will take the opportunity if presented, but he is far from a Stuart type that goes out looking for hits.

Really surprised at this turn of events, Kulda is going to be a solid player for the Jets down the stretch, IMO, can't wait till he gets here.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Bob E

Quote:
No he doesn't. If anything, Kulda would play closer to a Ron Hainsey than a Mark Stuart. Stuart is poor positionally, poor first pass, shot blocking, hard hitting defenseman. Kulda is all about positioning, skating, and his first pass. Stuart is NOT a defensive defenseman, he is a physical defenseman. There a key difference there. Kulda is a defensive defenseman. I would rather have Kulda out there against teams top lines than Stuart...particularly considering Kulda has spent most of the year shutting down NHL superstars already...

You have an opinion, so do I. Stuart may be a physical dman, but he's also asked to play a defensive role.

Kulda and Stuart are both much more physical dmen, than Hainsey. Stuart is a physical, 1st unit pk, shot blocking dman, so I would consider him more of a defensive dman. Stuart gets into trouble being flat-footed and unable to move laterally well enough against better forwards. So Kulda's skating, and positional play, likely gives him an edge. That would allow Kulda to be a shut down pairing dman, cause he would be able to 'hang' with bigger, skilled forwards like Malkin, Staal, etc.
But Hainsey is a big, ok skating dman, who does not hit, and is also out of position a ton (though not as bad as Stuart, I agree). Cause hainsey is not physical at all, Kulda's comparison doesn't fit for me. Also, Hainsey's first pass is atrocious most of the time, and jumps into the offensive play at ill-advised times. Kulda would have less risk in his 'offensive' game.

If anything, you take the best of Hainsey (better skating, 'better' positionally) and Stuart's physical play (which has made him a fan favorite)and you get Kulda. If Kulda shows he can make a suitable 1st pass, he's ahead of both, imo.

Though, it does seem to me that he can slide into that top 4 spot opposite Bogo, replacing Hainsey, for an improved shutdown pairing.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Bob E

Quote:

That's what I remember too.

But to me, its not the bone-crushing Bogo open ice type hit, it's the rub you out effectively along the boards, which hurts, and player x goes down and Kulda now has the puck.

But he takes the body, all the time. Which makes opposition forwards less excited about going in on the forecheck. Him and Bogo would be a nice pairing - recapturing their Petes days.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:15 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
That's what I remember too.

But to me, its not the bone-crushing Bogo open ice type hit, it's the rub you out effectively along the boards, which hurts, and player x goes down and Kulda now has the puck.

But he takes the body, all the time. Which makes opposition forwards less excited about going in on the forecheck. Him and Bogo would be a nice pairing - recapturing their Petes days.
On occasion he breaks necks too.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
You have an opinion, so do I. Stuart may be a physical dman, but he's also asked to play a defensive role.

Kulda and Stuart are both much more physical dmen, than Hainsey. Stuart is a physical, 1st unit pk, shot blocking dman, so I would consider him more of a defensive dman. Stuart gets into trouble being flat-footed and unable to move laterally well enough against better forwards. So Kulda's skating, and positional play, likely gives him an edge. That would allow Kulda to be a shut down pairing dman, cause he would be able to 'hang' with bigger, skilled forwards like Malkin, Staal, etc.
But Hainsey is a big, ok skating dman, who does not hit, and is also out of position a ton (though not as bad as Stuart, I agree). Cause hainsey is not physical at all, Kulda's comparison doesn't fit for me. Also, Hainsey's first pass is atrocious most of the time, and jumps into the offensive play at ill-advised times. Kulda would have less risk in his 'offensive' game.

If anything, you take the best of Hainsey (better skating, 'better' positionally) and Stuart's physical play (which has made him a fan favorite)and you get Kulda. If Kulda shows he can make a suitable 1st pass, he's ahead of both, imo.

Though, it does seem to me that he can slide into that top 4 spot opposite Bogo, replacing Hainsey, for an improved shutdown pairing.
If kulda comes in and proves himself as the Heir apparent 2nd pairing LHD I will be over the moon.

I don't know if he really quite has that skill level in him, i haven't watched enough of him, and what i can find written by scouting sources they don't seem too sold on him having that upside, but i will differ judgement until i watch him some more.

If he can LEGITImATELY replace hainsey, that puts us in a fantastic position. Hainsy is our probably our most valuable rental chip right now, and if Kulda truly does show himself to be a top 4 capable d man it makes him expendable.

that being said, there would have to be zero questions regarding Kulda's ability to fill that role for me to still be comfortable actively shopping Hainsey.

For all his warts, Unless kulda proves he's it, there is no alternative to hainsey in our system, and a low chance of acquriing one on the market this summer. If Kulda can truly pull off second pairing minutes, it's a gigantic boost to this organization.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:16 PM
jetkarma

Is this the answer to the question : who takes Hainsey's minutes if he is traded?

Gives the Jets flexibility plus perhaps a legitimate 5-7 LHD. Nice news to receive on short sleep Monday ,regardless of whether this has any impact on trades , this is a positive for the NHL level depth for this team , and we all know that is something we still need to improve.

Kudos to the Jets organization for flipping this situation , playing in the KHL was a better option than playing on the Rock this year . Kulda's brother is draft eligible this year , so I can see he may want to be in NA going forward. Nice news to start the week .

Old
03-11-2013, 12:18 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
He is waiver eligible. He had to clear twice last season.
Wasn't Kulda the one where we were ******** our pants because Chevy waited an extra day to send him down, therefore he had to go on waivers. Or something along those lines.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Yeah, well that's cause he's smart when he does jump in. He does hit, as I said he doesn't shy away or anything and will take the opportunity if presented, but he is far from a Stuart type that goes out looking for hits.

Really surprised at this turn of events, Kulda is going to be a solid player for the Jets down the stretch, IMO, can't wait till he gets here.
I agree, that Stuart does try to run at guys, and that gets him out of position as he doesn't skate well enough to adjust. Saw that far too many times on the pk, earlier this year.

Kulda will engage on a hit, Hainsey just doesn't, imo.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Is this the answer to the question : who takes Hainsey's minutes if he is traded?
Kulda was playing 23 minutes/gm in the KHL. Not saying he is Hainseys direct replacement.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Wasn't Kulda the one where we were ******** our pants because Chevy waited an extra day to send him down, therefore he had to go on waivers. Or something along those lines.
Yeah. Many people had a hissy fit cause he was put on waivers a day after the limit where he wouldn't have clear was up. Ofcourse he wasn't claimed anyway cause he wasn't good enough to make any other teams roster

Closed Thread