HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ugly

Old
03-11-2013, 10:27 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
The thing is Schenn does not think its going to be a penalty since apparently boarding is fair game as per the non call on Ennis earlier.
I can't pretend to know what a guy does and doesn't think. Even though Simmonds got away with one, Schenn is skating about 20 feet to hit a player who has his back to him the entire time. This isn't his first game in the NHL. Despite one blown call in the 1st period, he has to know that there is a chance that he'll be called for it.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:53 AM
BowieSabresFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
I can't pretend to know what a guy does and doesn't think. Even though Simmonds got away with one, Schenn is skating about 20 feet to hit a player who has his back to him the entire time. This isn't his first game in the NHL. Despite one blown call in the 1st period, he has to know that there is a chance that he'll be called for it.
Those two hits (Ennis and Gerbe) baffle me. The Simmonds hit on Ennis was an obvious a 2 minute penalty as you are going to get. With the Schenn hit on Gerbe, Schenn had all day to pull up and was staring at the numbers the whole way; the puck was no longer even there; and he was coming from a long way away. After the hit, Gerbe was obviously hurt. How is that only a 2 minute penalty? I just can't grasp that.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

I don't think any sane person is claiming Miller played terribly. He's just not himself.

Connor McDavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:12 AM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncebounce View Post
G:
Closer to #1 overall
Flynn

B:
Miller's soft goals
VHP nonexistent

U:
Refs
PP
NBC
What good is #1 overall with this team? They will only draft another D man and fore go on a much needed top forward.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:23 AM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
What good is #1 overall with this team? They will only draft another D man and fore go on a much needed top forward.
They've got ENOUGH D-men.

Get some offense if we're lucky(sorry, UN-lucky)to get the #1 overall pick.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:29 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
because they draft so many D men

Myers - good pick
Pysyk - looks like a decent pick
Persson - bust

4 of our last 5 firsts have been fowards in Kassian, Armia, Girgensons, Grigorenko

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:30 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
They've got ENOUGH D-men.

Get some offense if we're lucky(sorry, UN-lucky)to get the #1 overall pick.
this is a myth, we have virtually a few guys who may be top 4 guys but no one with top pair potential, Jones or Nurse would be the best D prospect since Myers

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:33 AM
McTank

Drouin
Mac
Jones
Barkov
Is my top 4, remember we'll have a very early 2nd to take a D with

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:33 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Based upon what?

There have been 3 1st round defensive picks picks in the last 10 years. Two of them were very late in the 1st round, and 1 (Myers) was in a year in which they had two 1st rounders (the other pick was Ennis).

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:44 AM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
this is a myth, we have virtually a few guys who may be top 4 guys but no one with top pair potential, Jones or Nurse would be the best D prospect since Myers
Yeah. And look how well Tyler's turned out so far!

Good rookie season...and then it fell apart. FAST.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:

What does that have to do with drafting Jones?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:31 PM
OkimLom

Quote:

Jones is considered a safer and more impactful player than Myers was at the time. If you're getting at, his development will be crippled much like Myers has been, I agree if the coaching staff remains the same, but I think we will see a new GM and hopefully a new staff. ALL THE WAY DOWN TO GOALTENDING COACH.

I personally think we need to draft better talent up front.

We do have too many flaws on this team to be picky, BPA is probably best way to go at this point.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:45 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
What does that have to do with drafting Jones?
Obviously if you draft a defenseman who busts every other one after him is destined to bust as well.

Duh.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:06 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Jones is considered a safer and more impactful player than Myers was at the time. If you're getting at, his development will be crippled much like Myers has been, I agree if the coaching staff remains the same, but I think we will see a new GM and hopefully a new staff. ALL THE WAY DOWN TO GOALTENDING COACH.

I personally think we need to draft better talent up front.

We do have too many flaws on this team to be picky, BPA is probably best way to go at this point.
OL: Truthfully, what you mention is what I'm getting at when it comes to Myers and Seth Jones. I feel, so far, that we're getting burned when it comes to Myers. (Then again, Chara didn't exactly light the league on fire either when he first came in-and look where he is now.)

Old
03-11-2013, 02:13 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Obviously if you draft a defenseman who busts every other one after him is destined to bust as well.

Duh.

There are plenty of reasons to be wary of Jones. As a prospect he's very similar to Erik Johnson, and look what an elite defender he is!
We need talent at every position and forwards are a safer bet with a high pick.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Ugly: I understand Ott is a well-liked player around here, but why aren't more people getting on him for his lack of response to the Ennis hit? He was nearby when the hit happened, and he watched it. He did nothing more than bark at Berube and Lavi (again)--yay for talking trash to opponent coaches--at the end of the 1st period, and then proceeded to run around like an idiot for most of the remainder of the game. I was disappointed with his response, especially considering one of the reasons we got him was that so such incidents would not go unaddressed.

For all the guff given to players like Tallinder (Gomez on Miller) and Gaustad (Lucic on Miller), Ott shouldn't get a free pass for that pansyism last night. He allowed his buddy to get his ass kicked rather than to immediately deal with Simmonds.
I pointed out a similar non-reaction by fans when Ennis got hammered by Girardi from behind in a previous game and Ott did nothing. That other players would have been ripped to shreds in the same situation.

On Ennis.

He repeatedly puts himself into vulnerable positions. He needs to play smarter or he is going to end up crippled.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:37 PM
AirBriere48

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I pointed out a similar non-reaction by fans when Ennis got hammered by Girardi from behind in a previous game and Ott did nothing. That other players would have been ripped to shreds in the same situation.

On Ennis.

He repeatedly puts himself into vulnerable positions. He needs to play smarter or he is going to end up crippled.
No they wouldn't have - it was during a powerplay in overtime during a critical game, with a 5 on 3 ensuing from the hit. Not the time to avenge a play like that.

AirBriere48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBriere48 View Post
No they wouldn't have - it was during a powerplay in overtime during a critical game, with a 5 on 3 ensuing from the hit. Not the time to avenge a play like that.
I agree with you and responded to Joshjull's comment at the time accordingly. Ott gets a pass on that one.

Not so last night though! As has been stated, the whole thing went down right in front of Ott and he saw the whole thing. He did nothing. That's because to an extent he picks and chooses his spots, as a lot of guys in this league do. He didn't want a piece of Simmonds, pure and simple.

Say what you want about the Bruins, but when plays like this unfold with one of their guys, anyone and everyone on the ice usually jumps on the perpetrator like a pack of savage dogs.

This current Sabres roster is a million miles away from being that kind of team.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:50 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBriere48 View Post

Any time Pommer, Foligno, Vanek, Staff, (most of the team really), turn the other cheek, regardless of context, they are hammered and its used to point out how soft they and the team are. When its pointed out that it was smarter to not doing anything in that situation. We would have read about how they should have at least gone up to the player and said something. Which I might add Ott didn't do. He didn't even react at all to the hit on Ennis.

Do you really think the players I mentioned would have been given a pass for being smart if they did the same thing Ott did, or actually didn't do. You really think some fans on here wouldn't be on them for skating by Ennis slumped on the ice to get the puck, make a pass and then skate away not even acknowledging what took place. You really think no one would be hammering them? I find you optimism on this baffling.

Don't confuse my thoughts on how fans would react to certain other players with me thinking Ott did the wrong thing.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
I agree with you and responded to Joshjull's comment at the time accordingly. Ott gets a pass on that one.

Not so last night though! As has been stated, the whole thing went down right in front of Ott and he saw the whole thing. He did nothing. That's because to an extent he picks and chooses his spots, as a lot of guys in this league do. He didn't want a piece of Simmonds, pure and simple.

Say what you want about the Bruins, but when plays like this unfold with one of their guys, anyone and everyone on the ice usually jumps on the perpetrator like a pack of savage dogs.

This current Sabres roster is a million miles away from being that kind of team.
Well, in fairness, only after they were skewered for the lack of response to Cooke's hit on Savard. That was a watershed moment for that team.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:54 PM
RattleYourSabre

It would be great to have a guy like Simmonds on the Sabres... Not a fan of his hit on Ennis... But I respect his hustle and his unwillingness to take crap. On that same token, kudos to Weber who was vastly outmatched and challenged him anyways. That's called heart!!

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:18 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Well, in fairness, only after they were skewered for the lack of response to Cooke's hit on Savard. That was a watershed moment for that team.
Wasn't their a rookie on the Bruins that got destroyed by Mair, and they did nothing? This was like 6 years ago maybe?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Wasn't their a rookie on the Bruins that got destroyed by Mair, and they did nothing? This was like 6 years ago maybe?
It was Krejci and that wasn't the only non-response by the Broons at the time.

03-11-2013, 03:39 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
OL: Truthfully, what you mention is what I'm getting at when it comes to Myers and Seth Jones. I feel, so far, that we're getting burned when it comes to Myers. (Then again, Chara didn't exactly light the league on fire either when he first came in-and look where he is now.)
Took Chara about 5 or 6 years to figure things out. I suggest being patient with Myers.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:41 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It was Krejci and that wasn't the only non-response by the Broons at the time.
Shhhhh, you're destroying the mythology.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote