HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Jon Blum

Old
03-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Metalownall

vCash: 500
Jon Blum

How's Blum play so far this year? I noticed he's been in and out of the line-up this year is he bouncing back from last year or getting better?

Metalownall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalownall View Post
How's Blum play so far this year? I noticed he's been in and out of the line-up this year is he bouncing back from last year or getting better?
I feel like he was getting better when he was paired with Ellis, but most will tell you he had a spark but has gone back to last year's play.

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:23 PM
april

He's been doing just fine, paired with Klein on the 2nd line. Just hasn't gotten a real chance to get in stride and prove himself, seems to be getting scratched every chance Trotz gets. Gotta be a real morale buster I'm sure. I liked his play when paired with Ellis, hopefully he gets another chance.

april is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:37 AM
deanwormer

He's been mediocre with Klein, and pretty good paired with Ellis. That's a problem, because once again we have 3 guys who are fine as 3rd pair but short a top/2nd pairing guy; just like the 1st year Klein played 2nd pair - he was a bit over his head. He's not physical enough to play bigger minutes with Ellis. He still lapses back into the "look around and see where the play is" guy too often; which I didn't notice very often his 1st go around 2 years ago. He is moving the puck well, consistently, although he's had rough games, too - but that's a young/learning thing.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:52 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by april View Post
He's been doing just fine, paired with Klein on the 2nd line. Just hasn't gotten a real chance to get in stride and prove himself, seems to be getting scratched every chance Trotz gets. Gotta be a real morale buster I'm sure. I liked his play when paired with Ellis, hopefully he gets another chance.
You're clearly biased.

He started out great, and I hoped he had gotten over whatever his issue was last season. Then, at some point, he went back to the old Blum, getting beat one on one over and over and losing every board battle he engaged in.

I never thought I would be excited for Hal Gill to get back into the lineup.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:06 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
You're clearly biased.

He started out great, and I hoped he had gotten over whatever his issue was last season. Then, at some point, he went back to the old Blum, getting beat one on one over and over and losing every board battle he engaged in.

I never thought I would be excited for Hal Gill to get back into the lineup.
It's funny that you attacked April for her bias yet your view of him is just as biased. I would have to say his play has been somewhere in the middle of what you and April have said. I would tend to agree he has his moments, both good and bad. He has shown glimpses of last year as well as the year before. What he's struggling with right now, as is the entire team, is consistency. Most defensemen struggle with this. We saw it with Suter. We saw it with Hamhuis. We saw it with Klein. We saw it with Weber. Ellis has had his moments too where he's struggled. It's just one of those things unfortunately.

I also think we tend to over analyze or are overly critical of some of the d-play when it always isn't on them. One thing I notice is our guys don't always make great passes out of the defensive zone. While we look and say, that was a crappy pass or what was he thinking, did we ever think that there was no one to pass to whether his partner was not in position or the forwards weren't in a good passing lane? Probably not. We only see the error but not what caused the error with the puck. I really feel the forwards have played as much a part into the lack of consistent play from our blue line as much as the blue liners have.

At the end of the day Blum has shown he can play at this level. It's just a matter of him getting to play at that level night in and night out, shift to shift. He'll get there. The coaches have praised him for his work ethic this past summer and the way he came ready to play once the lockout was over. He also sat for a bunch of games and hasn't complained and he's sitting again without a peep. Sometimes growing pains suck but he'll be all right when all is said and done.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:00 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think we get upset seeing him try to do things he just can't do physically. He's not strong on the boards and can get manhandled 1-1. He's never going to be a Hamhuis or even a Josi with strong 2 way play. He's a pmd, he can hit great breakouts and can generally move the puck well, that's what he does, and he's been fine at it.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Byrddog

The matter of the fact is Blum is doing ok. The issue with the majority of our fanbase when it comes to defense if a player can't be a top pair guy there no good. Be it a young guy breaking in or a veteran signed to strengthen the d corp. Gill is too slow, Hannan skates weak not physical enough, Boullion was this and that, ect ect ect.

Blum has potential probably not a 1st or 2nd pair here, but could develop into a solid NHL'er but he will need to be traded to do so. Hes too far down the food chain here. Weber, Josi, Klien, Ellis are going to be the core here for the forseeable future. It is in Blums best interest and this teams to find a new home for him and get some return to the Preds while his value is still relativly high.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:29 AM
april

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
The matter of the fact is Blum is doing ok. The issue with the majority of our fanbase when it comes to defense if a player can't be a top pair guy there no good. Be it a young guy breaking in or a veteran signed to strengthen the d corp. Gill is too slow, Hannan skates weak not physical enough, Boullion was this and that, ect ect ect.

Blum has potential probably not a 1st or 2nd pair here, but could develop into a solid NHL'er but he will need to be traded to do so. Hes too far down the food chain here. Weber, Josi, Klien, Ellis are going to be the core here for the forseeable future. It is in Blums best interest and this teams to find a new home for him and get some return to the Preds while his value is still relativly high.
agreed. he is doing just fine, might as well trade him while he has value vs scratching him or not playing him to his potential and possibly losing value. He could be a vital piece in a trade to get us a forward that can score.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Preds33

I just think it doesn't make sense for the team to trade away a young player that plays well to ok and has alot of potential vs keeping 2 sandbags who are doing nothing but getting worse by week. Keeping Gill and Hannan will not help the team at all, they are just helping to drag it down. The fact that Blum who seems to be getting better keeps getting benched for these 2 sandbags just drives me crazy.

The Announcers were praising Hannan a few weeks ago because he has more starts over the last 10 years than anyone else. Well, that is easy to do when you aren't taking any risk, and aren't really doing much other than just skating around.

The only thing Gill has going for him is his height gives him a longer reach than most. Other than that, he is a sloth.

While I understand that people want to trade to get value, I just hate seeing great potential, continuously end up in the hands of other teams. I just don't understand the concept of trading prospects or players on the verge of breakout moments for more sandbags in the last few years of their career.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I just think it doesn't make sense for the team to trade away a young player that plays well to ok and has alot of potential vs keeping 2 sandbags who are doing nothing but getting worse by week. Keeping Gill and Hannan will not help the team at all, they are just helping to drag it down. The fact that Blum who seems to be getting better keeps getting benched for these 2 sandbags just drives me crazy.

The Announcers were praising Hannan a few weeks ago because he has more starts over the last 10 years than anyone else. Well, that is easy to do when you aren't taking any risk, and aren't really doing much other than just skating around.

The only thing Gill has going for him is his height gives him a longer reach than most. Other than that, he is a sloth.

While I understand that people want to trade to get value, I just hate seeing great potential, continuously end up in the hands of other teams. I just don't understand the concept of trading prospects or players on the verge of breakout moments for more sandbags in the last few years of their career.
Ok Poof Blum is now top 4 material. Who ya gonna move or trade Weber Josi Klein or Ellis???? Your choice.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Ok Poof Blum is now top 4 material. Who ya gonna move or trade Weber Josi Klein or Ellis???? Your choice.
Of these Klein, Always have hated him. This is also leaving out Hannan and Gill who in my mind should have been gone weeks ago

Old
03-11-2013, 11:54 AM
token grinder

blum has been ok. Solid, not flashy, gets owned in the corners, has the best breakout pass on the team. I would rather have him in there than hannan

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
april

Quote:
Has Ellis ever played on the 2nd line this season? How is he considered "top 4?" Just cuz Trotz coddles him?

Old
03-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Preds33

Quote:
With the current roster, this is how Trotz should set the lines up as far as D goes

Weber - Josi
Bartley - Klein
Ellis - Blum

Sit or trade away the 2 sandbags.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Jarnberg

So far no takers for Blum.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote