HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 10:22 AM
henchman24
If and if...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Like others are saying, I don't know what type of "impact deal" he could make, unless it involved trading Stastny.

And for the record, I'm not sure if I'm buying Dater's change of stance. They Avs may not be "shopping" Stastny per se, but I believe they'll listen to offers, and if a team gets desperate enough, I think they may look to move him.

And btw, congrats on your season w/ the Jr. Renegades Kent! I know you left it all out on the ice!
This. The Avs don't have to trade him this season. They can wait until the deadline or next season if they want to. Now if some team gives them a great offer, then they might take it. It will take a great offer though.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
This. The Avs don't have to trade him this season. They can wait until the deadline or next season if they want to. Now if some team gives them a great offer, then they might take it. It will take a great offer though.
Well, I think that's pretty obvious and it would be silly to think otherwise. But in the end, I think it would take a crazy, crazy deal for them to move Stastny.

They would need to get some kind of feel for what RoR would be looking for long-term and pretty confident that they can sign him. While they control him for 3 more years beyond this one, there's no real guarantee that he'd even consider re-upping with the club.

A move that would leave this team with Duchene as top center and a bunch of question marks beyond him is not where this team wants to position itself for the future, in my opinion.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:35 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Does everyone think they will try and get ROR long term? I am still worried, and think they will trade him.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Does everyone think they will try and get ROR long term? I am still worried, and think they will trade him.
Well, it's still a very big possibility. However, here's a glimmer of hope:

As myself and others have been trying to tell a lot of you guys, Sherman is merely a puppet when it comes to player decisions. The proof is the way the FO handled the entire RoR situation, it's just like the good old days with Drury, Ozo, etc. I truly believe that if Sherman was his own man, he would have found a way to get RoR signed and not negotiate exactly the way our president used to negotiate with RFAs.

However, I believe that Sherman and Sacco will be relieved of duties after this season. Even if we have a bit of a good run and even make a 1st round appearance, the old 'different direction' could just be used as an excuse to make a change. Speaking of excuses, that is something that could be used to sweep the previous contract negotiations under the rug and start fresh with a new GM (Sakic).

So that gives Lacroix his official 'out' as far as dealing with disgruntled RFAs. I understand the reasoning as to WHY he used to ship out players who wanted too much $$$, too soon or wanting more than they were worth, since it has a direct impact on the rest of the up-and-coming RFAs but I don't necessarily agree with it.

PL could just have it look like it was the previous GM who 'bungled the entire contract negotiation' without even having to say a word. He saves face, up-and-coming RFAs see it as incompetence from the former GM and the team gets to keep RoR long-term.

I can see the scenario I just outlined above happening, just as I can see the Avs hanging on to both Sherman and Sacco through to next year's trade deadline where RoR is shopped to the higgest bidder for 'what he did to our team....and putting himself first'.

Too close to call really.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:10 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
I'm not worried at the moment. There is plenty of time to mend some bridges and plenty of time for ROR to prove his worth. If he continues to play like he is (55 pts last year, 4pts in 5 games this year in more limited minutes), the $6.5m really won't be a hindrance in negotiations. Having two centers in that range will fit easily under the cap. The issue is when it becomes 3 centers in that range.

If I am choosing simply based on play ROR > Stastny.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Nihiliste

Hopefully they get over it and find a way to extend him. ROR should be a core player for us.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
As myself and others have been trying to tell a lot of you guys, Sherman is merely a puppet when it comes to player decisions. The proof is the way the FO handled the entire RoR situation, it's just like the good old days with Drury, Ozo, etc. I truly believe that if Sherman was his own man, he would have found a way to get RoR signed and not negotiate exactly the way our president used to negotiate with RFAs.

Too close to call really.
Sakic isn't ready imo. I'm not even really sure he'll be as good as Sherman, let alone better for us. Sherman is a really underrated GM held back by a stupid President.

What I like about the O'Reilly situation is we didn't screw around with the offsersheet. Signing him immediately, which shows his importance to the team and front office. I honestly believe he'll be kept and agree Sherman could have gotten a deal done if the front office didn't hold him back.

But I'm also really uncertain what to expect from Ryan. In an ideal world Sherman will extend a 5.5mil offer to each of our centers for the next 4 years. I expect them all to get closer to 6-6.5 then 5.5 though. Sadly Stastny may decide that FA is best for him since we'll be seeing a surge in the Cap during his summer and teams will likely overpay him ala Richards.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:27 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

I don't see any reason Sherman would be fired. I think he has done a good job at improving our roster with young talent. ROR, our defense, and the coaching staff are really the only sticking points with his tenure.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
Sherman getting fired would be an outrage.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:49 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Agree.

Of course you can point to some bad decisions he has made, one or two. But compare him to any other GM in the NHL, they are all basically hated by their entire fanbase and they have all (most of them) made more obvious mistakes than Sherman has.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
I don't think it's set in stone. A lot depends on Stastny, and on who they draft in the 1st this year, and a lot depends on what Staz and O'Reilly are asking for on the next deal, and if they'll take around $5M long term.

Also, if O'Reilly plays great, and maybe has a strong playoff run or two, and gains back all the fans love, and is playing like a $5M player, if the Avs trade him, the fans could really get pissed. Especially if it's for an average return. They'd be testing the fans patience more than any other trade of a fan favorite, because it would be so obvious they just traded a fan favorite out of spite rather than to help the team.

He'll have to get to that level first though, but he's off to a good start.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Nihiliste

These next three games are key for us, but if we can continue our strong play and come out with 5 of 6 points then I wonder if Sherman looks at a depth move to get a more suitable winger on the 3rd line than Palushaj/Hejduk to try. It would give us more balance in a push for the playoffs. There's not much out there to target but I'm thinking more like a depth move for an impending UFA that might come cheaply. I wonder if a guy like Morrow could be a fit/if Dallas would let him go cheaply.

Just thinking out loud, since we could easily lose 2/3 and then it'd be a moot point.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I would be pissed as well.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Much as I have called for Sherman to be fired, if his sacking is not coupled with a Lacroix retirement/resignation, then it's pointless.

But I wouldn't be outraged, no. Losing Rick Pracey IMO would be far, far more detrimental to the future of this organization.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:28 PM
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
I generally like Sherman but I wouldn't say outrage. I think it would be dumb to fire him right now, but it's something I can see PL doing. It's probably 50/50 that Sacco and Sherman are gone if the team misses the playoffs, 100% if it's bottom 5. IMO if Sherman is fired then PL needs to go, too. If we're cleaning house we need to bring in some new blood and get rid of the friends and family culture.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

You guys are funny.

Whenever we make a 'good trade' [Downie, McGinn, Varly] Sherman should be praised.

Whenever something 'bad' happens [RoR offer sheet] Damn you Pierre Lacroix!!!!

The RoR contract situation PROVES that Lacroix is still handling the player decisions on this team since we are still operating the same way we were when he was GM. Sherman is the guy PL hired to deal with the media (since it was OBVIOUS he hated doing that tremendously) and to deal with the day-to-day stuff (player call-ups, etc.). The trades and player decisions are PL's to make and he's done a great job getting good value in trades and our scouting staff has assembled a great young team.

Did any of you watch that press conference? He was almost crying and his body language screamed of someone who had to take a bunch of heat for something that wasn't his decision.

If Sherman is let go, it won't be based on merit, it will be to save face, as I mentioned above.

With Sacco, it will be based on merit and regardless of everything else, it's just time to take it to the next level with a real coach.

In any case, don't feel bad for either of these guys, BOTH were put in positions by the Colorado Avalanche that they would have NEVER HAD with any other NHL team....EVER.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:53 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Agree.

Of course you can point to some bad decisions he has made, one or two. But compare him to any other GM in the NHL, they are all basically hated by their entire fanbase and they have all (most of them) made more obvious mistakes than Sherman has.
Sherman is the least of the Avs problems(i can't believe i'm saying this).
Pierre and the Kroenke's are the main issues. and by that i mean they who would continue to employ and endorse the coach who would be named Sacco.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:13 PM
kento19
@kento19

Steve Montador placed on waivers. Should we?

Old
03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
While I wouldn't be against him coming here, we have enough on the right side with EJ, Barrie (is Sacco ever plays him again), and ROB. Now if we trade ROB, Montador would be a solid bottom pairing pick up, assuming he is healthy.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
Nope. Has two more years after this one. Who knows how he'll play after the concussion.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Is Erik Johnson available for the right price? If so, how highly does the Avalanche fan base value him?

Old
03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Is Erik Johnson available for the right price? If so, how highly does the Avalanche fan base value him?
The right price is something that nobody would be willing to pay. He is the Avs best defensemen by a mile.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

So I was thinking about this earlier today. It would certainly be a risk, and could blow up in our faces, but I think a move like this could also put us over the hump and into playoffs, making it less of a risk. Here's what I am talking about.

Lets say on deadline day were sitting somewhere between 7th-9th in the West. Either 1-2 points in the Top 8, or 1-2 points out of the Top 8.

Would you guys move our 1st round pick, for Kulikov/Myers/Giordano/Carlson/Enstrom?

It would obviously be a potentially large risk. If we miss playoffs and then our pick ends up being 1st overall, that would obviously be disastrous(though also extremely unlucky). However if we make playoffs then we would like be giving up a 17-22 range first for a Top pairing Dman or one with the potential to be.

We would probably have to add to our 1st for some of those guys(Kulikov, and Carlson for sure) but as the center piece to the deal, would you guys do it?

Old
03-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
He certainly is not.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Probably Bozak and a 2nd.

Closed Thread