HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Dangleberry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descendent View Post
Where is Richards going then? Doubt he is traded.
He's a compliance buyout candidate.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Stepan-St.Croix, Lindberg down the middle ideally in future.

The possibility of getting Richards's three youngest years out of him, for a cap hit lower than the payday, and considering the new CBA rules about retirement, he makes far too much sense for a buyout.

NYR don't want to pay an aging Richards 6.67 mil on the cap for an additional 6 years.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:56 PM
ecemleafs

Nieves with an assist in the 1st period tonight.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Stepan-St.Croix, Lindberg down the middle ideally in future.

The possibility of getting Richards's three youngest years out of him, for a cap hit lower than the payday, and considering the new CBA rules about retirement, he makes far too much sense for a buyout.

NYR don't want to pay an aging Richards 6.67 mil on the cap for an additional 6 years.
Agreed about Richards, but I think you're underselling both Miller and Nieves here.

Miller has already shown us that he's better at center - and I've seen Nieves a couple of times in 2013 and was INCREDIBLY impressed with hm. To use BN's term from a day or so ago, he's a difference maker - as a freshman. Size, speed, aggressiveness and offensive instincts. IMO, he's the real deal. And he's also clearly a center.

(Don't get me wrong, it's a good problem to have.)

Old
03-09-2013, 07:50 PM
ecemleafs

Nieves with 2 assists tonight now. He also had an assist last night.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

St. Croix was held scoreless last night, but is a 1-1-2 with 3 minutes to go tonight.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:35 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Nicholls went 1-1-2 tonight and is now tied for the WHL lead in goals.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:49 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Michigan is facing Western Michigan in the next round of the CCHA tournament. Michigan State upset Alaska. If all of the top seeds won,Michigan would be heading to Notre Dame.

WCHA tournament

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/6History/wcha_13.htm

Old
03-11-2013, 06:50 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Stats in first post are updated.

It's just pain.
Old
03-11-2013, 08:39 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Stepan
Nieves
Miller
Lindberg

Old
03-11-2013, 08:59 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Stepan
Nieves
Miller
Lindberg
St Croix and Fogarty as well.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:10 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Michigan has a really good chance of beating Western Michigan which didn't finish the season playing good hockey. Danny DeKeyser. Think the Rangers will be scouting that best of 3? Nieves. DeKeyser. Michigan needs win the CCHA tournament to play the NCAAs. Boo was almost scratched on Saturday. Either the flu or an undisclosed injury.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

How is St. Croix's chances of eventually posing for the Rangers?

Also, will we see The Undertaker next year?

Old
03-11-2013, 09:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post

I'm bearish on St. Croix. Just don't see anything special that translates to him being an NHL player. Others are more high on him. I feel like there's maybe a 1 in 10 chance he has an NHL career. Good skills but not strong and involved enough for the pro game. I'm just pulling that number out of thin air, but my point is that I'm not a big fan. If he does make it I think it's on the wing.

As for McIlrath, depends on how quickly he continues to develop this year and what roster defenseman we have heading into next season. I think he has made great strides in his positioning and footwork. Very pleased with his progress this year. He just needs more professional games under his belt to adjust to the speed and flow of things. I wouldn't rule out a cup of coffee for him this season. Whether or not he's ready next season remains to be see. If I had to bet--just an educated guess based on my observations of him--I'll say he starts next year in Hartford and then makes his permanent debut some time during the season.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post

I think they're above average. He's made a lot of progress in his overall game since being drafted. I don't see him making the team next year by any stretch, but I'd figure he could pull off a Thomas-like season next year. Might exceed it depending on the quality of the roster.

I think McIlrath will likely challenge for a spot next fall. Eminger, Hamrlik and Gilroy are all UFA's and Sauer is a big question mark. Lots of open spots.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:28 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

IMO St Croix has PPG AHL player that can't hack the show written all over him. Hope I'm wrong.

IMO McIlrath will be on the team next year. May start in the A, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't become a regular by mid season.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:54 AM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
I think people have the wrong impression of St. Croix. He's by no means a lock to even play a single game in the NHL, much less be a relevant player, but he is a lot more well-rounded than people give him credit for. His defense has improved, and he has unbelievable vision with the puck.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:05 PM
NYR Viper

St Croix has the same strength a player like Stepan has. High Hockey IQ. I find it difficult to write off a player with high hockey IQ so early in his career. We will see.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:11 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
I think people have the wrong impression of St. Croix. He's by no means a lock to even play a single game in the NHL, much less be a relevant player, but he is a lot more well-rounded than people give him credit for. His defense has improved, and he has unbelievable vision with the puck.
If he's well-rounded and possesses unbelievable vision, what's preventing him from being considered a top flight prospect?

Old
03-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
St. Croix still is scrawny as ****. Stepan has worked on his build and is pretty bulky now.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Colby
HFB Partner

Whether St. Croix has an NHL career or not, I think it's a smart use of a 4th round pick to get a player with that amount of upside that late in the draft. Maybe he develops the other parts of his game to make him an NHLer, or maybe he doesn't. Either way, I'm in favor of drafting these kinds of players in the middle/late rounds.

Here's a pre-season scouting report from Corey Pronman:

Quote:
The Good: St. Croix had a big rebound season after a disappointing draft season. He finished eighth in WHL scoring and had one NHL scout saying he looked like the player he thought he was going to be last year. St. Croix is a very skilled playmaker, with high-end puck skills and vision. He's the kind of player who one scout says "sees everything" and just creates so much offense when he has the puck. He's a great starting point for offense who has the patience to make plays under pressure, and the possession skills to make the right decisions and evade checkers.

The Bad: St. Croix still has a lot of rounding out to do. His skating is roughly average, and while it's improved from before last year, he needs a better top gear for a smaller player. His physical game is underwhelming, too, as he's small, needs strength, and is not that effective in battles although he's working harder to grind for loose pucks more. He can overpass, too.

Projection: He could be a good second line forward.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1386

Old
03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
St. Croix still is scrawny as ****. Stepan has worked on his build and is pretty bulky now.
Yep. Even as a rookie though Stepan was considered "weak" and "slow". His high Hockey IQ more than compensated. I have a good feeling about him.

On a team that is devoid of true playmakers outside of Stepan, I think St. Croix will a good addition.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR21 View Post
Whether St. Croix has an NHL career or not, I think it's a smart use of a 4th round pick to get a player with that amount of upside that late in the draft. Maybe he develops the other parts of his game to make him an NHLer, or maybe he doesn't. Either way, I'm in favor of drafting these kinds of players in the middle/late rounds.
I liked the pick then, and I still like it. He was a guy we talked about alot around here before the draft. But when I look at some of the names, about 20-25 or so, after he was picked, there are some really good players in there. If MSC doesn't pan out it'll hurt, but you can't say there wasn't value at that spot.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
In what way is it fair to compare a 22 year old Stepan who has spent multiple years with the NHL training staff to a 19 year old in juniors? Stepan was considered slow and weak when he came to the team and it showed for stretches in his first year. St. Croix has more than enough time to mature physically.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
St Croix has the same strength a player like Stepan has. High Hockey IQ. I find it difficult to write off a player with high hockey IQ so early in his career. We will see.
Stepan had some awesome years when he played against the best of his peers and could develop a offensive game that works in that environment too. Not to take anything away from MSC or the CHL, Stepan isn't necessarily awesome at anything but he can playmake at the highest level. Find openings. Exploit Ds and what not. It's the "at the highest level"-part were he had a big jump start over MSC.

Savard came the same route as MSC, and he became great -- but many like that has failed too.

Closed Thread