HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban's play since coming back

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Habaddict

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I'm just worried that he may cost 7 or even 8 if he pulls off Norris like numbers this year and happens to win it next year. If we signed him long term to a deal that had a cap hit of about 5.5, we would have a better chance of signing other guys.

Obviously this talk is all hypothetical and we can imagine millions of different scenarios.
But the most likely scenario was always that you were right all along.
Not only is this bridge contract likely to cost more cap space in the long run,
habs lost the chance to defray some of that this year when we can easily
afford it. If we are a contender in two years , then we are more likely to be
pressed for cap space.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:29 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I'm just worried that he may cost 7 or even 8 if he pulls off Norris like numbers this year and happens to win it next year. If we signed him long term to a deal that had a cap hit of about 5.5, we would have a better chance of signing other guys.

Obviously this talk is all hypothetical and we can imagine millions of different scenarios.
Yes, but here is my point. If he gets nominated for the Norris this year and wins it next year, then MB will GLADLY pay him Chara, Doughty, Karlsson, Weber money. It's win-win. What would really suck though, would be to have paid him and watch him become complacent and big headed because, hey, he's made it. Not saying it would happen, but that risk was real.

For PK to reach his potential, he has to be pushed hard to make changes to the way he plays. That tough love doesn't always work with guys who've been paid out. No matter what anyone in this thread or anywhere tells you, he hadn't yet(still hasn't either) proved to be worthy of superstar money. He's on his way to proving his worth now but I don't believe he's going to touch the Norris or be nominated before he signs his deal, so I doubt we have to worry about BIG money. If anything, I see him having a legitimate claim when Markov retires or is on his last legs, and truly passes PK the torch. PK will be in his prime and no one will be able to discredit his play due to Markov being there.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
But the most likely scenario was always that you were right all along.
Not only is this bridge contract likely to cost more cap space in the long run,
habs lost the chance to defray some of that this year when we can easily
afford it. If we are a contender in two years , then we are more likely to be
pressed for cap space.
That doesn't make sense. If he is paid handsomely, he will deserve it. If we are pressed for cap space, it will be because we have many good/great players on our roster.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:34 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
New thread for all Subban discussion:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1373179

Closed Thread