HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 09:10 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
Almost all major prospects (certainly the Canadian ones) come from middle class or poor backgrounds. Jones has to be the richest kid from the entire 2013 draft, by a large margin.

You don't need to be rich or have any special ties to pro players to make the NHL.
I'm not sure that's true in warmer climates. Maybe it is, but I'm skeptical.

Ice time and equipment alone account for many thousands of dollars over the 15-ish years of development. Add team and league fees, and you're easily into the tens of thousands. Multiply by the number of children involved. It's quite expensive, to the point of being cost prohibitive for a lot of (maybe even most?) people. To comfortably afford it, you'd have to be in the upper middle class at a minimum.

If you're talking about private coaching, camps, regular visits to training facilities, forget it unless you're from an affluent family.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:57 AM
CanadaIsHockey

Blackhawks vs Avalanche - Wednesday Night Rivalry

Quote:
The Blackhawks comeback victory over the Colorado Avalanche drew 720,000 viewers to NBC Sports Network. Ratings have been so good for NBCSN this season, that game fits in as the ninth-most watched game in network history, where it would've been way higher had it happened earlier in the season. Six of the top ten regular season games in terms of viewers in NBCSN/VERSUS/OLN history have happened this season.
Quote:
Viewership for 2013 NHL on NBCSN'sWednesday Night Rivalry
Jan. 23, Boston vs. NY Rangers - 956,000 viewers
Jan. 30, Chicago vs. Minnesota - 827,000 viewers
Feb. 6, Boston vs. Montreal - 771,000 viewers
Feb. 13, St. Louis vs. Detroit - 453,000 viewers
Feb. 20, Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh - 901,000 viewers
Feb. 20, St. Louis vs. Colorado - 291,000 viewers
Feb. 27, Washington vs. Philadelphia - 433,000 viewers
Feb. 27, Detroit vs. Los Angeles - 232,000 viewers
Mar. 6, Colorado vs. Chicago - 720,000 viewers
Source: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/3/7...ime-top-ten-in

Old
03-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

Ice time and equipment alone account for many thousands of dollars over the 15-ish years of development. Add team and league fees, and you're easily into the tens of thousands. Multiply by the number of children involved. It's quite expensive, to the point of being cost prohibitive for a lot of (maybe even most?) people. To comfortably afford it, you'd have to be in the upper middle class at a minimum.

If you're talking about private coaching, camps, regular visits to training facilities, forget it unless you're from an affluent family.
I don't know anyone who played hockey growing up that wasn't extremely well-off. The entire reason I never played hockey is because we couldn't afford it.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
I don't know anyone who played hockey growing up that wasn't extremely well-off. The entire reason I never played hockey is because we couldn't afford it.
Same here. It stinks, because I picked up a hockey stick before anything else.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:27 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Ratings suicide from CSN Chicago tonight not moving the Bulls to CSN+ and forcing the Hawks onto it. Wouldn't be shocked to see them drop a point or so due to people not being able to find the game.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:44 PM
2mannings1cup

If Chicago is such a hockey town why are they on the alternate CSN tonight, while the Bulls get top billing? The Bulls have always, and will always dominate the Hawks in Chicago.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
For the most part, likewise. I did eventually get some second-hand equipment to play, but I was 13 by that point.

I had an ice rink a block away from me, but we could never afford the ice time. I never actually played on ice because of that...it was dek or bust.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
03-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
If Chicago is such a hockey town why are they on the alternate CSN tonight, while the Bulls get top billing? The Bulls have always, and will always dominate the Hawks in Chicago.
By contract the Bulls and Hawks split it evenly. This SHOULD be a WGN game for the Hawks but they passed on it.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:58 PM
gordie

Quote:
The huge minority population in Chicago of course plays a hand in this. They aren't interested in a sport they never played, so the Hawks will always take the backseat in Chicago like the Rangers in New York or Bruins in Boston or Kings in LA etc...

Old
03-08-2013, 05:43 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
CSN almost always puts the game starting first on the main channel. Just their practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
By contract the Bulls and Hawks split it evenly. This SHOULD be a WGN game for the Hawks but they passed on it.
CSN was guaranteed 41 games for the shortened year, like every RSN was. WGN didn't pass, they just didn't have a choice. And they have CW programming at 8 central anyways, there was no way they could air this game.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
The huge minority population in Chicago of course plays a hand in this. They aren't interested in a sport they never played, so the Hawks will always take the backseat in Chicago like the Rangers in New York or Bruins in Boston or Kings in LA etc...
The Celtics became more popular during the Larry Bird era and the Bruins fanbase soured when Cherry was fired in 1979.

The Bruins fanbase has always been solid but for many years fans watched on TV but would not give Jacobs a dime. It took a decade for fans to finally embrace TD Garden as it never had the atmosphere of the old barn.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:17 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Same here. All my friends played but I simply could not with divorced parents. Irks me to this day.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
03-08-2013, 06:23 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
So you took a geographic term and zeroed in on his race rather than his geographic location...

Thanks for twisting that where it shouldn't have went.
No, I am not twisting words.

You said:

"Black and from Texas. The Anti-Southern Expansion Group's collective head must be exploding."

Notice the word "and" connecting the geographic term and the racial term.

You then go on to state that the Anti-Southern Expansion Group must be angry.

I think it is reasonable to infer that the two sentences are connected; the first sentence presumably explains the causal reasons for the result described in the second sentence (i.e., for the Anti-Southern Expansion Group's anger).

If you intended to say that the Anti-Southern Expansion Group will be angry because a highly touted prospect hails from Texas, then you should have said that. However, you intentionally added the term "Black" and connected it to the terms "from Texas" with the word "and."

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you intend to post what you post; that every word in your writing has relevance and meaning. If you want to disregard the term "Black" and the connecting language "and" as mere surplusage that is irrelevant to your post, then go ahead. However, you would have to concede that your writing engages in mere surplusage.

If you also want to construe the two sentences as being entirely unrelated expressions; e.g., the first sentence describes Seth Jones' race and geographic origin, and the second sentence is an entirely unrelated remark on the mindset of the Anti-Southern Expansion group, then go ahead. However, that is definitely not a reasonable interpretation of your text.

So the real issue boils down to this:

Do you believe that the Anti-Southern Expansion group is, in some fashion, against (or agitated by, or disappointed in, etc.) having black players in the NHL? Or is it that the blackness of a player is irrelevant on its own, but when coupled with a non-traditional geographic origin, it morphs into an aggravating circumstance?

I support Southern Expansion (although I think the NHL did it incompetently in some regards), but in all my discussions with people against Southern Expansion, I've never been able to discern any dislike for black players. Please do not cast aspersions on the Anti-Southern Expansion group.

Last edited by saffronleaf: 03-08-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 06:37 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Same here. All my friends played but I simply could not with divorced parents. Irks me to this day.
My parents are divorced and I still got to play.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:07 PM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

Yeah, Hockey is an expensive sport to play. IMO its never going to be popular in the inner cities like basketball or football.

Seth Jones is a rich kid with a famous father. I don't think its even a big deal anymore that Jones is a black player. Iginla has been one of the leagues biggest and most respected star players over the last 10 years.

If the NHL had a Yao Ming phenom type player coming from China or somewhere... Something like that would get way more media attention and probably have huge marketing potential.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
They likely have to share dates with the Bulls. The Red Wings have to do the same with the Pistons, and the Pistons don't get nearly the local rating.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-08-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: ...
Old
03-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLJ View Post
Yeah, Hockey is an expensive sport to play. IMO its never going to be popular in the inner cities like basketball or football.

Seth Jones is a rich kid with a famous father. I don't think its even a big deal anymore that Jones is a black player. Iginla has been one of the leagues biggest and most respected star players over the last 10 years.

If the NHL had a Yao Ming phenom type player coming from China or somewhere... Something like that would get way more media attention and probably have huge marketing potential.
The real marketing potential for Jones would be if he got drafted by Dallas.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Hell, even growing up in the GTA, most anyone I knew who played on any sort of travelling select team was pretty well off. You had to be just to be able to chauffeur your kid around the province at all times of the week.

My brother made the AA team when he was around 13 or 14 but we just didn't have the time or resources to drive him around the province. You pretty well needed to be a 'one income' family (i.e. one BIG income parent and one homemaker) to make it work.

Most of the best players I knew growing up were very well off financially.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Pepe Silvia

Quote:
The Bulls game started an hour before the Hawks game. After the Bulls game ended, the Hawks were airing on CSN and CSN+. For the most part, the Bulls are more popular than the Hawks, but the Hawks have better ratings this year and the demand/price of tickets is much higher. It helps that the Hawks are off to a great start in a shortened season, and Rose is still out.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
No, I am not twisting words.

You said:

"Black and from Texas. The Anti-Southern Expansion Group's collective head must be exploding."

Notice the word "and" connecting the geographic term and the racial term.

You then go on to state that the Anti-Southern Expansion Group must be angry.

I think it is reasonable to infer that the two sentences are connected; the first sentence presumably explains the causal reasons for the result described in the second sentence (i.e., for the Anti-Southern Expansion Group's anger).

If you intended to say that the Anti-Southern Expansion Group will be angry because a highly touted prospect hails from Texas, then you should have said that. However, you intentionally added the term "Black" and connected it to the terms "from Texas" with the word "and."

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you intend to post what you post; that every word in your writing has relevance and meaning. If you want to disregard the term "Black" and the connecting language "and" as mere surplusage that is irrelevant to your post, then go ahead. However, you would have to concede that your writing engages in mere surplusage.

If you also want to construe the two sentences as being entirely unrelated expressions; e.g., the first sentence describes Seth Jones' race and geographic origin, and the second sentence is an entirely unrelated remark on the mindset of the Anti-Southern Expansion group, then go ahead. However, that is definitely not a reasonable interpretation of your text.

So the real issue boils down to this:

Do you believe that the Anti-Southern Expansion group is, in some fashion, against (or agitated by, or disappointed in, etc.) having black players in the NHL? Or is it that the blackness of a player is irrelevant on its own, but when coupled with a non-traditional geographic origin, it morphs into an aggravating circumstance?

I support Southern Expansion (although I think the NHL did it incompetently in some regards), but in all my discussions with people against Southern Expansion, I've never been able to discern any dislike for black players. Please do not cast aspersions on the Anti-Southern Expansion group.
Black was referring to the fact that the NHL is reaching a demographic that it has previously not been very good at reaching, which, in part, is due to the Southern expansion. The phrase "Anti-Southern expansion" is exactly that, a geographic phrase, referring to the people who don't believe hockey belongs in the south. The fact that a Texas born African American is a top draft prospect is a testament of the fact that it has/is working.

So maybe you could quit trying to turn my basic post of "The Anti-Southern expansion group really must be upset because of the expansion showing success" into "The Anti-Southern expansion group must hate Jones because he's black."

Old
03-10-2013, 11:43 AM
ebox99

Not sure where to put this info :

http://www.ticketingjournal.com/tren...t-update1.html

"The NHL projects revenue will grow 4 percent this year to $2.7 billion, with about $675 million coming from national and local television. The NFL received about $3.7 billion in national television revenue this year."

Says 675M from national and local TV. It's higher now but gives an idea what the total TV revenue was like 2 or 3 years ago.

With NBC & NBCsports at 200M now instead of 70M.

Local teams renewing with higher premium on sports and CBC coming up.

Annual revenue could hit 1B / per season soon.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebox99 View Post
Not sure where to put this info :

http://www.ticketingjournal.com/tren...t-update1.html

"The NHL projects revenue will grow 4 percent this year to $2.7 billion, with about $675 million coming from national and local television. The NFL received about $3.7 billion in national television revenue this year."

Says 675M from national and local TV. It's higher now but gives an idea what the total TV revenue was like 2 or 3 years ago.

With NBC & NBCsports at 200M now instead of 70M.

Local teams renewing with higher premium on sports and CBC coming up.

Annual revenue could hit 1B / per season soon.
They'll certainly get a boost from New Canadian contracts coming in 2014, but a lot will depend on what local contracts change.

If a team like Chicago were to have a contract year this year it'd be huge. Their ratings have been nuclear.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:29 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Saturday March 2nd, Final Numbers: Blackhawks/Red Wings Scores For NBC

Quote:
Last Sunday’s Blackhawks/Red Wings NHL regular season game, the 22nd game of the Blackhawks’ 24-game points streak, earned a 1.3 final rating and 1.9 million viewers on NBC — up 63% in ratings and 58% in viewership from Bruins/Rangers last year (0.8, 1.2M), and up 30% and 33%, respectively, from Red Wings/Blackhawks in 2011 (1.0, 1.4M). Excluding the Winter Classic, the game tied the second-highest rating for an NHL regular season game on NBC since the network resumed airing games in 2006.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:40 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Rangers-Capitals sinks to NBC season low

Quote:
Sunday's Rangers vs. Capitals game drew just an 0.8 overnight rating on NBC Sunday, down 50 percent from last week's Chicago-Detroit broadcast, and easily the lowest-rated game of the season on the network. Daylight savings time likely played a role in the game's low ratings, as Pierre McGuire pointed out the game really felt more like an 11:30 a.m. ET start on the east coast. But the Rangers have always had trouble as a national draw despite their cavalcade of stars, and the Capitals have fallen back to earth as a cellar dweller in the Eastern Conference.
Source: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/3/1...nbc-season-low

Ouch!

Old
03-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Greyhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaIsHockey View Post
Rangers-Capitals sinks to NBC season low

Source: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/3/1...nbc-season-low

Ouch!
Well, they were due for a clunker, and this one fit that bill. Between the early start, the time change, Rangers being a dull team, Caps being a mediocre team, there were certainly enough reasons not to tune in, for many.

Sure hope NBC reconsiders those early starts. After watching the Saturday late games, and catching up on sleep, its' tough to watch a game at half past noon next day. And I'm on the east coast. It must be ridiculous for west coasters.

Closed Thread