HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade / Waive Bonk ?

Old
07-27-2006, 04:01 PM
zzoo

vCash: 500
Trade / Waive Bonk ?

In order to make room for a rookie and save money, are you ready to trade Bonk for a low draft pick ? or waive him ?

As for me, I'm willing to trade him for a 6th round pick. Below that, I prefer to keep him. What do you think ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:03 PM
BORAT

I think an offer was on the table to send Bonk and Ribeiro to Atlanta for Bobby Holik

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
I think an offer was on the table to send Bonk and Ribeiro to Atlanta for Bobby Holik
We dont need Holik either, Pleks can perfectly center the 3rd line.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:09 PM
BORAT

In the end Gainey balked when he heard Holik was still having some difficulty recovering from a Broken foot, but the bottom line is

Holik = huge Centerman who shoots Right and makes around 4 something million.

Bonk and Ribeiro combine at around 5 million.

From what I understand Depending on the show Chipchura pulls in Camp ( and Latendresse if he is less concussed ) this trade might still very much happen

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:17 PM
GSK*

I'm not a fan of Ribeiro, but he's better then Holik, Bobby Holik was ridicoulos 2 last season... I'm tired to see Bonk but better keep Rib's then that has-been Holik.

He was a good 2-way foward, but now he play's like a retard IMO.

Ribeiro got a lot more offensive skillz then him, but yeah Rib's is one of the most slowly player of the team.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Kirk Muller*

Nobody would want Bonk unless they can send a bad, useless contract back the other way. I think Bonk is a good player to have. He's expensive, but there's not much you can do about him at this point.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:21 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Yeah, if we waive him nobody would really pick him up. Well, we'd need to pay half his salary if someone else claims him, right?

If no one wants him....nobody would want him in a trade deal too.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Belso

If Bonk was worth his salary, someone would want him. No one wants him for that salary. Admit, you overpaid, use as efficiently as possible and when his contract expires at the end of the season, don't re-sign him! And if a rookie playes better then him, bench him. Bonk wanted a high salary, he had to give his worth which he obviously doesn't want to give or can't. But If I'm Carbo and I have 2 players, I play the better one no matter if he makes 500K or 5M. Had the Habs stuck with their 5M guy last year Huet would not have had the chance to play and they would not have made the play-offs...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
In order to make room for a rookie and save money, are you ready to trade Bonk for a low draft pick ? or waive him ?

As for me, I'm willing to trade him for a 6th round pick. Below that, I prefer to keep him. What do you think ?
No way I'd trade Bonk for a 6th pick...makes absolutely no sense. He is a decent 3rd line centre that improved as the season went along. OK so his offensive contributions were offensive but I think he really improved. Besides he only has 1 year remaining so it's not like the Habs are saddle with a huge contract for years.

Waiving him will result in a minimal savings on the cap but you will not replace Bonk with what is being saved on the cap. I say let him play out the contract unless a good deal comes along. Certainly not a low draft pick tho...

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
No point in doing anything now in July.

If/when a rookie outperforms Bonk in training camp, or

If/when a deal is on the table that would require us freeing up some cap space...

then we can look at our options for Bonk.
Right now, he's coming off a strong end of season, and will hopefully build and improve on that this year. Expensive as he may be, he's under contract for us this season, and will contribute.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu View Post
No point in doing anything now in July.

If/when a rookie outperforms Bonk in training camp, or

If/when a deal is on the table that would require us freeing up some cap space...

Right now, he's coming off a strong end of season, and will hopefully build and improve on that this year. Expensive as he may be, he's under contract for us this season, and will contribute.
Very well stated!!!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Empireshark

Quote:

He played most of the season either hurt or coming back off of a long layoff because of an injury. Why don't we just wait and see how he performs when he's healthy. From what I saw at the end of last year when it seemed he'd gotten past the groin issues he did pretty well in the role that was assigned to him. As for his contract, Gainey knew what he was getting into contract-wise when he traded for him, in fact, if I'm not mistaken, Bob negoitiated his salary down from where it was and lengthened the term. Bonk is a good experienced 3rd or 4th liner who can kill penalties and sub in on the 2nd line everyonce in a while. Plus, there's only one more year remaining on his contract and we're in pretty good position cap-wise so unless Bob gets a fairly decent return for Bonk or Bonk + ???? I doubt he'll trade him and a draft pick is not the type of return this team needs as we're already stocked full of promising prospects.

Empireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

As much as i would like it ,Bonk is not going to be traded or waived imo
Bob will just wait for his contract to expire at the end of the season.

I really really hope that he don't consider re signing him though.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:54 PM
habsfan44

Quote:

while i agree that bonk was a bust for most of last year i did notice that when bg took over behind the bench there was a big change in bonks effort towards the end of the year , so much so that he was actually a force to be reckoned with . so since he is our only big center and combine that with the gainey/carbo/muller influence and the fact he will want a new contract either here or elsewhere i'm expecting a much better year than last year , remember he has the size and the talent and i'm sure gainey and the coaching staff will have an ample supply of motivation to ensure that the habs get the full bang for their buck . if this does not happen then i am sure gainey will take the appropriate action before the trade deadline . (hopefully , more than a sixth rounder)

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu View Post
I just don't get why some people think that. Maybe it's cause he sucked SO bad in the beginning, that our expectations had come to such a low that when he actually did some good contributions, as modest as they were, people became impressed by his unexpected play

Bonk 2005-2006 :
october-november: laughable
december-january: invisible
febuary til the end: decent for the most part with 3 or 4 better-than-average efforts sparkled here and there.

Better than at the start, I'll agree. Decent play, I'll let it slide. But strong end of the season seems to be pushing it a little...

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Better than at the start, I'll agree. Decent play, I'll let it slide. But strong end of the season seems to be pushing it a little...
I agree

Strong end of the season or not he has 6 goals for the whole year for **** sakes and that's unacceptable for almost 2.5 millions per year.

He should have produced more during that "strong" period.Instead he produced at a Joe Junesque rate.........

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:24 PM
InGaineyWeTrust*

Bonk will be useful for the next season as veteran depth, but further down the road he'll be gone

InGaineyWeTrust* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Habsy

Quote:
Source?

Because that is actually a good deal for both teams.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:31 PM
wholeshow*

bonk will play well for us this year. he can't do any worse than what he did last season (which involved him playing pretty well in the defensive end and on the pk). so he can only do better.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Talent Analyst

Why waive a player like him ? Believe it or not , he's a good player . Him and Begin are a terrific duo on the PK .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:54 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

wasn't a trade rumour also , with Bonk going to Washington ? I would be curious to see how much points Ovy would get with Bonk and Zednik as linemates ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:58 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:

Mark0v may think that's crazy but reality is we probably wouldn't even get a 6th rounder at this point; nobody wants to pay a full year of 2,3 million dollars salary for a passionless 6 goals scorer If we were to trade him, if would have to be in a package OR later in the season, close to the trade deadline, which would only make sense if we're out of the running for the playoffs

Bottomline: we'll have a penalty-killing 4th line player paid 2,3 mill, whether we want it or not. If anybody is offering any pick at this moment, we should take it and run fast...

Last edited by Dr_Hook: 07-27-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
not really, you can't expect a really higher pick for Bonk, who our only chances relie on the fact that it's a contract year

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 07:28 PM
turnbuckle*

Bonk is a career 50-point scorer - last year was a write-off for whatever reasons - I think he was out of shape.

This is his contract year, and if he ever wants to see another multi-million dollar NHL contract he better pull up his hockey socks.

The same thing holds true for Ribeiro - those two have crappy seasons they'll be hard pressed to get million dollar contracts next season.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote