HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Moving Schneider is the Canucks Best Move

Old
03-11-2013, 12:28 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
typical overvaluing of vancouver's own goalies.
if they could get such good value for their goalies don't you think they would've traded one of the two of them by now. especially with the tailspin that vancouver is in? Obviously people understand that Vancouver is desperate to trade one of their 2 cap eating netminders to try and bolster their up front depth and so aren't offering "full value". not to mention that full value for goalies rarely ever are anything spectacular.
when one of them is traded, I don't expect them to get much in return. At least nothing close to the ridiculous overpayment suggested by the Henrique+1st etc...

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Rinzler

vCash: 500
Gonna be tough to get roster players or prospects of significance for Schneider. Goalies just don't get those kinds of returns very often.

I expect a solid 1st round pick for a team needing a goalie, though I'm not sure who that would be. If Schneider, Bishop and Bernier are all available this summer, I don't expect teams to be paying a whole lot with so many solid options out there. Seems like lots of supply and little demand.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
kihei

vCash: 3219
Either Adam from the Devils, not a snowball's chance in hell. Don't see NJ actually making a trade for Schneider, anyway. If it's the Islanders, than Okposo, Visnovsky and a 2nd for Schneider seems closer to what Vancouver might actually land.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:51 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Find a team that has not developed a goalie and then hand them one ? This cheap with 2 more years ?
Take a look at the league's top goalies by the numbers this year... you may be in for a bit of a shock...

Craig Anderson- Got for Brian Elliott and was 3rd rounder to start
Corey Crawford- 2nd rounder developed internally
Viktor Fasth- FA from Europe 2012
Antti Niemi- UFA but was unsigned Europe FA in 2008
Tuukka Rask- Got f or Andrew Raycroft but was 21st overall pick
Pekka Rinne- 8th round pick developed internally
Henrik Lundqvist- 7th round pick developed internally
Ben Scrivens- College FA
Sergei Bobrovsky- Got for a 2nd and a 4th rounder
Kari Lehtonen- Got for Ivan Vishnevskey and 4th rounder

Know what I am not seeing... top ten picks traded to get any of them... or even used to draft anyone outside of Lehtonen and that was ten years ago.

You can hold on to your nice little dream and cry your team spent all these years developing him while he depreciated... but that is on the Canucks in the first place... sorry other teams are not jumping up and down to reward your team's stupidity in dropping $9M into two goalies...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Oh god... A Canuck goaltending thread... Why don't we just wait and see what happens instead of the same ol bickering?

And I think the Canucks are more likely to buy out Luongo than trade Schneider. He's their guy...
How easily we spend $27 million when it's someone elses money.............

Vancouver has only 14 guys signed for next year and less than $4 million of cap-space. If Gillis can't find a home for Ballard and Booth they are going to have to be bought out to free up $8.5 million of cap-space and their buyouts will cost less than $12 million.

The Canucks designated Luongo as a franchise cornerstone and signed him to a 12-year contract. They've changed their minds after two years? Schneider is the guy they should trade.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Jerzey Devil

I'd rather the Devils try to get Ben Bishop to help with the transition of Brodeur retiring and the young goalie prospects being ready.

He'll be much cheaper.

Most of these proposals wouldn't help NJ be a better team at all.

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
How easily we spend $27 million when it's someone elses money.............

Vancouver has only 14 guys signed for next year and less than $4 million of cap-space. If Gillis can't find a home for Ballard and Booth they are going to have to be bought out to free up $8.5 million of cap-space and their buyouts will cost less than $12 million.

The Canucks designated Luongo as a franchise cornerstone and signed him to a 12-year contract. They've changed their minds after two years? Schneider is the guy they should trade.
Its true simply from an asset management point of view. Gillis hung onto Luongo too long and whatever deals he thought were not good enough look like Gold now.

Schneider is a quality goaltender with a good contract.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Straight common sense says every GM would care he was properly developed.
That sandwich I left in the work fridge over the weekend is now "properly developed"... it's the same... no intelligent GM will trade you a top-ten pick for an unproven 27-year-old goalie when they can pick up a Bobrovsky Lindback or Fasth for few or no assets.

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
The market for the best proven young goaltender not named Carey Price is going to be steep. Canucks may have to add some depth players as well, but I don't see Schneider moving for any less then a proven young NHLer, 1st round pick, and a prospect.
27 years old, only 70 total career starts and all of them have come for a team that has been so dominant they won back to back President's trophies.

I think there might be some hyperbole in your statement.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Not a fan of either team. That's a massive overpayment from NJ.
I think massive is a relative term, but over-payment?
Yes it is.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:13 PM
blankall

Quote:
The market for the best proven young goaltender not named Carey Price is going to be steep. Canucks may have to add some depth players as well, but I don't see Schneider moving for any less then a proven young NHLer, 1st round pick, and a prospect.
Rask says hi.

Schneider is 27. There are many many many goalies in the 25-29 range who are more proven. Schnedier is not that proven and is not that young.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Jerzey Devil

Bottom line is the Devils will not trade Henrique or Matteau for any goalie. Scoring is more of an immediate need than a goalie that might only be needed for a year or two.

A first? Maybe but I doubt it considering they have to give up one either this year or next year because of the Kovy contract penalty.

If Nucks fans want high value in return for Schneider please look elsewhere for trading partners. NJ just doesn't have the assets to give up.

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:16 PM
StringerBell

This is really easy to speculate when you don't know what is actually being offered for either goalie. I still think Luongo winds up in Florida for a soft deal this offseason.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:18 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

If you are not in here to discuss the topic then leave. I don't know why we have to tell you guys that breaking the rules will not be tolerated. Alas, here I am once again doing just that.

03-11-2013, 01:18 PM
kihei

vCash: 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
This is really easy to speculate when you don't know what is actually being offered for either goalie. I still think Luongo winds up in Florida for a soft deal this offseason.
So let's speculate. What do you think he would fetch from Florida?

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Lacaar

I think the cats out of the bag concerning goaltending in the NHL.
There's not much seperating them anymore. More and more goaltending results are an effect of team play rather than goaltending ability.

The new collapse down and batten the hatches systems we're seeing is marginalizing the scoring chances to ones of fluky deflections. Most goals now days (especially in the western conference) are from deflections and screens that are almost completely independant of the actual goaltending.

I think Gillis is hoping a team gets desperate and offers the moon. Perhaps some team will though I can't see it. The poor goaltenders have lobby'd to make their job easier with bigger equipment via the safety excuse it's going to end up costing them their identities.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:26 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Why would the Devils even consider losing a key asset like Adam... or the other Adam, when they can call St-Louis and kick the can regarding Halak or Elliot.

There's a much cheaper and better alternative then Schneider, especially when the Canucks are the team trying to part ways with a netminder that's earning a pretty heavy contract to be the other's backup.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
tacoburrito

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
So let's speculate. What do you think he would fetch from Florida?
its hard to say but i would speculate that van would either be sending a prospect with him or a roster player cause that contract is a tough one to swallow IMO

tacoburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:35 PM
ginovegas

Quote:
Rask and QUick say hello

Schneider has never really impressed me and even less this year

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:38 PM
professorchaos

Schneider is going nowhere. Luongo thread should be reopened in the offseason.

professorchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Frenzy1

I just hope something happens soon. These threads are getting worse and worse.

Looking at value, it depends on need. Who needs a goalie and who is available. And how desperate a team is to make a deal. Personally, I think gillis should have taken a deal and now with the cap dropping there is more pressure on the canucks to kove one of there goalies or they will not have cap room to shore up other areas.

I don't think you will see them getting a ton in return. Further while it is easy to say buy out luoungo. That is real $4

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:49 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
That sandwich I left in the work fridge over the weekend is now "properly developed"... it's the same... no intelligent GM will trade you a top-ten pick for an unproven 27-year-old goalie when they can pick up a Bobrovsky Lindback or Fasth for few or no assets.
Lindback? Seriously....combination of track record, price paid and post trade ouput and you use that to strengthen your argument?

if Lindback is worth 2-2nds and 1-3rd.....dear god what is Schneider really worth?

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 03-11-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: flaming
ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Why would the Devils even consider losing a key asset like Adam... or the other Adam, when they can call St-Louis and kick the can regarding Halak or Elliot.

There's a much cheaper and better alternative then Schneider, especially when the Canucks are the team trying to part ways with a netminder that's earning a pretty heavy contract to be the other's backup.
PLEASE kick the can on Elliott. It won't cost you much in return, I promise.

As far as the OP, this thread reminds me a lot of the Bernier proposals. I'm sorry VAN (or LA) fans, but the market is what it is. As others have mentioned, the supply is greater than the demand. You can argue over which goalie is better and how much he should get his team in a trade, but the facts seem to point out that young "backup/1A" goalies usually get traded for a combination of picks (usually 2nd/3rd, with Varlamov deal being the exception) or prospects.

If I had to guess, Schneider would land VAN a late 1st/early 2nd + a solid prospect. The problem is (same goes for LA): who is going to offer it? Who really NEEDS to offer it?

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
How is he proven? The same guy that was suppose to be the legit #1 this year but has BLEW IT?

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:38 PM
sokocanuck

vCash: 745
Quote:
The market for the best proven young goaltender (26yrs) not named Carey Price is going to be steep. Canucks may have to add some depth players as well, but I don't see Schneider moving for any less then a proven young NHLer, 1st round pick, and a prospect.
Tuuka Rask (26), Jaroslav Halak(27), Jonathan Quick (27), Semyon Varlamov (24), Ondřej Pavelec (25) would all have something to say about that claim.

sokocanuck is offline   Reply With Quote