HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bulls plane goes "Boom" in mid-air, borrow hawks plane!

Old
03-07-2013, 09:21 PM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

vCash: 500
Bulls plane goes "Boom" in mid-air, borrow hawks plane!

"Apparently a compressor in engine No. 3 had some trouble, and it sounded like it exploded, but I guess it's like a jet engine backfire, which is very loud," Bulls radio analyst Bill Wennington said Monday on ESPN 1000's "Waddle & Silvy Show." "Sparks fly out of it. It happened actually right after ... the captain thrusts the engines forward and it revs up and starts to go, about three seconds after that you hear a 'Boom!' 'Oh, what was that, are we stopping?' The plane keeps going down [the runway] and you're thinking, 'Oh no, why aren't we stopping?'

"It was funny, because we're in the back of the plane, and the engines are right by us, and we hear it. They can't hear it [in the front of the plane]. And apparently they couldn't feel anything. And so we take off fine, and about five minutes later, two more booms, 'Boom!, Boom!,' and a couple people saw flames and sparks and stuff flying out [while looking out of] the window. We're all thinking, 'Well, it's been nice.'"

The plane turned around and landed back at O'Hare. The players were sent home and returned the next morning to fly to Indy on the Chicago Blackhawks' charter plane, which they used to return to Chicago after the game.

Complete article: http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...orrowing-rides

RFIP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:52 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Should've driven to Indy like normal people.

In all seriousness, that is just so **** up. Can't imagine how scary that must have been, and glad that everyone was safe. Last thing we need is a Lokomotiv disaster in any of our 4 leagues, let alone our city.

From all this, someone on my Sox board actually discovered the NBA's disaster plan if an entire team were wiped out. They'd hold a dispersal draft with every team would be allowed to protect 5 players.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:11 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
I'd have **** my pants if I was on board.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:17 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Good to here everything worked out ok. Flames and sparks coming out of the engine while in the air is not good. Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
From all this, someone on my Sox board actually discovered the NBA's disaster plan if an entire team were wiped out. They'd hold a dispersal draft with every team would be allowed to protect 5 players.
Lol, wow. Good to know they got things covered in the NBA.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:19 PM
madgoat33

God that team would be brutal

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:36 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Good to here everything worked out ok. Flames and sparks coming out of the engine while in the air is not good. Damn.

Lol, wow. Good to know they got things covered in the NBA.
The NHL has one too...IIRC every team can protect 8 roster skaters + a goalie and 3 non-roster players.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Should've driven to Indy like normal people.

In all seriousness, that is just so **** up. Can't imagine how scary that must have been, and glad that everyone was safe. Last thing we need is a Lokomotiv disaster in any of our 4 leagues, let alone our city.

I remember reading a story once about one of the 1950s Minneapolis Lakers teams having an emergency landing in an Iowa cornfield. IIRC that's what led to them creating the plan.

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:13 PM
axecrew

Story is kind of misleading since the hawks don't own the plane they fly. they have a contract with a charter company to provide them with a charter plane to fly. Just so happened that the plane was in Chicago then.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Sarava

Crazy story. I'd have a hard time getting on another plane after something like that

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote