HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Also, it has been shown on BSH and other sites that there is a very, very strong correlation between shot quality and shot quantity...to the point where shots allowed is a very good benchmark for scoring chances allowed. The more shots a team allows, the more scoring chances there are. The Flyers have done a pretty good job of preventing shots, and therefore scoring chances, to the tune of 26.9 SA/G...good for 6th in the league.

Yet they're 24th for GA per game. When all the stats that monitor defensive quality show the team is doing fine, yet loads of goals are going in, that's a goaltender problem.
Does that study differentiate from a PP or ES? I'm curious as to whether PP opportunities tend to be better than those at ES.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Miller had a bad game last night. Between that and Buffalo playing dumb hockey with the stupid penalties they were taken that was the difference. The Flyers didnt play a great game last night. it was a pretty ****** game all around. Someone had to win.

the Flyers PK has been really good since the first half dozen games or so. Special teams lately have been pretty good. 5 on 5? not so much.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Does that study differentiate from a PP or ES? I'm curious as to whether PP opportunities tend to be better than those at ES.
I'll repost at some point today; it's somewhere earlier in the thread.

Either way, since the PK is sitting at 11th at 83% it's not like they're giving up tons of goals there.

03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Also, it has been shown on BSH and other sites that there is a very, very strong correlation between shot quality and shot quantity...to the point where shots allowed is a very good benchmark for scoring chances allowed. The more shots a team allows, the more scoring chances there are. The Flyers have done a pretty good job of preventing shots, and therefore scoring chances, to the tune of 26.9 SA/G...good for 6th in the league.

Yet they're 24th for GA per game. When all the stats that monitor defensive quality show the team is doing fine, yet loads of goals are going in, that's a goaltender problem.
Yeah, all those times the Flyers get chances but can't bury it? It's not because the Flyers are perpetually snakebitten, it's just that we see other teams bury every single good chance they get against us and we wonder why our offense can't score with that consistency.

Even in shootouts, wide open 1 on 1 shots with no defenders, the shooting percentage is only close to 1 in 3. Scoring on good chances isn't as easy as teams make it look against the Flyers and a lot of that falls on the goaltending.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:09 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bryz was adequate last night. The whole team played mediocre pretty much and Buffalo played like crap..so the Flyers edged out a W...barely! Hardly inspiring hockey on the part of the Flyers

Old
03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
the 2 amnesty buy-outs can be used either this summer or next summer. So my guess is if Bryz doesn't turn it around next season, he'll be gone
He has to really turn it around to justify keeping his contract on the cap strapped team. On the other hand, I am not sure that front office will want to throw about $25 mill. down the drain and then pay for another goalie.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:18 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Bryz was adequate last night. The whole team played mediocre pretty much and Buffalo played like crap..so the Flyers edged out a W...barely! Hardly inspiring hockey on the part of the Flyers
The two goals he gave up were both makeable saves, but they weren't necessarily soft, and he made at least one huge momentum save late in the first off a wide open rebound in the slot. If Bryz could consistently make those momentum saves without surrendering soft goals like he did last night, I think a lot of people would feel better about having him in net. But he hasn't, so we don't.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
The two goals he gave up were both makeable saves, but they weren't necessarily soft, and he made at least one huge momentum save late in the first off a wide open rebound in the slot. If Bryz could consistently make those momentum saves without surrendering soft goals like he did last night, I think a lot of people would feel better about having him in net. But he hasn't, so we don't.
You hit the nail on the head.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:22 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
He has to really turn it around to justify keeping his contract on the cap strapped team. On the other hand, I am not sure that front office will want to throw about $25 mill. down the drain and then pay for another goalie.
if they want to win, they will

Old
03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
Is the buyout that every team has only valid this off season?

I think Bryz has been decent this year, if we buy him out who else are the Flyers going to get?
Does it really matter? The way I look at it, we are near the bottom of the league with a goalie getting 5.6 million for 7 more years am putting up a sub .900 sv%. We could sign a goalie at league minimum and get Sub .900 sv% then use the 5 million somewhere else. Whether its Bryz's fault or the defense's fault we CANNOT continue to pay 5.6 million for a goalie where a league minimum goalie would get us the same results.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:29 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Bryz will be here next season unless his cap hit prevents us from bringing in a #1 defenseman if there are any available, which is unlikely. That gives us a year to try to find a young replacement and hopefully we can find a back up this summer. Then in 2014 they will buy him out if he isnt playing great or if they find a replacement

Old
03-11-2013, 01:38 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:

I asked this before but don't think I got a reply. Is there a site that tracks scoring chances? I accept that they are correlated with shots allowed, but isn't it possible that our team's 25ish game sample is not large enough to be sure that it's played out that way for us?

Old
03-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I asked this before but don't think I got a reply. Is there a site that tracks scoring chances? I accept that they are correlated with shots allowed, but isn't it possible that our team's 25ish game sample is not large enough to be sure that it's played out that way for us?
No, it's not publicly tracked. BSH got their data by emailing the Flyers, and other media outlets.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I really wish the NHL would make scoring chances an official stat.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:03 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
and yet they're in love with +/-. not saying it doesn't have any meaning but when used to portray defensive ability it's pretty moronic. keep track of scoring chances on the other hand makes too much sense.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:04 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
It's a highly subjective stat, so it's difficult.

Similar to takeaways and giveaways.

03-11-2013, 02:06 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

and hits yet they are counted. some places you have to earn your hits others a little bump counts as a hit.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Here is this link again, actually not by BSH (but they did get info from them, and I'm pretty sure based on another article that BSH got their info from media and the org):

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/6/26/shot...nd-shot-totals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

It does look like a rough outline has been constructed based on goals scored where; it's in that article. That could be a good basis.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:08 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

i think the scoring chances stat would just be used for evil on this thread.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i think the scoring chances stat would just be used for evil on this thread.
Only if it reflects badly on Bryz, right? Chances are extremely good it would reflect poorly on him.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
and hits yet they are counted. some places you have to earn your hits others a little bump counts as a hit.
Yeah if the people broadcasting the game can keep track of it I'm pretty sure an official stat guy getting paid to keep track of stats can do it.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:23 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

those boston goals were a joke in terms of breakdowns. i assume your saying if there was a stat that most of the goals against on him are not scoring chances? but people got all over him saturday because boston scored 3 quick goals but there were all plays which led to guys being wide open. first goal was a great pass on a p.p. second was a guy alone in the slot (had the most chance to stop that one) and the breakaway on the giveaway. no ******** along the ice slapshots from the blue line. no wraparounds or misplays behind the net. if fact those goals against miller, 2 of them looked horrible last night but you said you'd rather have miller. what is the difference? i guess that vezina he beat out bryzgalov for.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:23 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Yeah if the people broadcasting the game can keep track of it I'm pretty sure an official stat guy getting paid to keep track of stats can do it.
You would think both broadcasting crews for each game would store the stats somewhere. You would think their data could be available (at a price). I would like for the NHL to buy the data, take the average of the two crews and publish it.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:28 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
You would think both broadcasting crews for each game would store the stats somewhere. You would think their data could be available (at a price). I would like for the NHL to buy the data, take the average of the two crews and publish it.
Yeah they could do that also. I think it really should be a stat recorded by the NHL.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
those boston goals were a joke in terms of breakdowns. i assume your saying if there was a stat that most of the goals against on him are not scoring chances? but people got all over him saturday because boston scored 3 quick goals but there were all plays which led to guys being wide open. first goal was a great pass on a p.p. second was a guy alone in the slot (had the most chance to stop that one) and the breakaway on the giveaway. no ******** along the ice slapshots from the blue line. no wraparounds or misplays behind the net. if fact those goals against miller, 2 of them looked horrible last night but you said you'd rather have miller. what is the difference? i guess that vezina he beat out bryzgalov for.
Pretty much every goal Miller gave up last night was defensive break down. Using your logic it wasn't his fault.

Closed Thread