HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Mid-Season Awards: CALDER

View Poll Results: Calder trophy first half
Holzer 2 0.99%
Huberdeau 117 57.92%
Schultz 10 4.95%
Yakupov 0 0%
Hamilton 9 4.46%
Brodin 6 2.97%
Muzzin 2 0.99%
Galchenyuk 1 0.50%
Gallagher 23 11.39%
Conacher 22 10.89%
Saad 3 1.49%
Dillon 2 0.99%
Barrie 0 0%
Tarasenko 4 1.98%
Other (who?) 1 0.50%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-11-2013, 01:03 PM
MastuhNinks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post
Huberdeau:
26 GP - 12G -5A - 17 PTS - -3 - 0.65 PPG

Playing on a dead last team with no pression in a dead market.

Gallagher:
22 GP - 7G - 8A - 15 PTS - +9 - 0.68 PPG

Playing under the MTL pressure and the pressure of battling for 1st place in East.

Easy choice.
Huberdeau has been his team's best offensive weapon, Gallagher is 8th on his team in points.

It's pretty obviously Huberdeau.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:05 PM
bdawg1989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Huberdeau has been his team's best offensive weapon, Gallagher is 8th on his team in points.

It's pretty obviously Huberdeau.
What does being 8th in points mean at all in this discussion ? Just means the Panthers are bad and the Habs are deep. Habs roll 3 lines, Gallagher share the ice time with 2 other lines and still score at a better pace than Huberdeau.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:16 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post
What does being 8th in points mean at all in this discussion ? Just means the Panthers are bad and the Habs are deep. Habs roll 3 lines, Gallagher share the ice time with 2 other lines and still score at a better pace than Huberdeau.
Because when you're the 8th most productive player you won't get nearly as much attention and tough matchups than you do if you're 1st. Huberdeau faces the Zdeno Charas of the league when he's on the ice, Gallagher faces the Adam McQuaids.

C'mon man, I really shouldn't have to explain why being 1st on your team in scoring is more impressive than being 8th.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlex916 View Post
Yup. And also, playing in Dallas doesn't help much. Kid's a stud.
Yeah, I loved him the few times I've watched him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Tarasenko was. And now he's not. Gally's numbers don't justify it regardless of how good he looks. Gallagher deserves consideration, but Huberdeau has done more on one of the worst teams in the league.
The argument of a bad team doesnt stand at all. Gallagher is on Montreals first line for christ sakes.

Quote:
Because when you're the 8th most productive player you won't get nearly as much attention and tough matchups than you do if you're 1st. Huberdeau faces the Zdeno Charas of the league when he's on the ice, Gallagher faces the Adam McQuaids.

C'mon man, I really shouldn't have to explain why being 1st on your team in scoring is more impressive than being 8th.
You know Gallagher plays with Patches(AKA the best offensive forward on this team.)... ??? If Claude Julien is dumb enough to send Mcquaid to defend against our best offensive line, fine by me.

No but seriously. It just goes to show that you don't watch much of the habs.

If the argument about Huberdeau having 2 more points than Gally in 4 less games is valid, then let me bring something.

Gallagher plays first line. This means he has surpassed Bourque, Gionta, Cole/Ryder, Galchenyuk/Eller and Prust on the depth chart.

Gallagher is solid defensively, he's even the best on his own line.

Gallagher helps his team win.
Gallagher is on pace for 100 hits.

I think this at the very least cancels the AINECs out there.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Sevanston

Saad won't and shouldn't win, but he's been great regardless.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Noob616

Huberdeau and then the Gallagher/Conacher discussion behind them. Homer voted Gallagher in the poll for the lulz because Huberdeau is running away with it, but my choice is Huberdeau.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Serious underrating of Justin Schultz, the guy is 5 points away from leading NHL rookies in scoring as a dman.

Trafalgar Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Yeah, I loved him the few times I've watched him!

The argument of a bad team doesnt stand at all. Gallagher is on Montreals first line for christ sakes.

You know Gallagher plays with Patches(AKA the best offensive forward on this team.)... ??? If Claude Julien is dumb enough to send Mcquaid to defend against our best offensive line, fine by me.

No but seriously. It just goes to show that you don't watch much of the habs.

If the argument about Huberdeau having 2 more points than Gally in 4 less games is valid, then let me bring something.

Gallagher plays first line. This means he has surpassed Bourque, Gionta, Cole/Ryder, Galchenyuk/Eller and Prust on the depth chart.

Gallagher is solid defensively, he's even the best on his own line.

Gallagher helps his team win.
Gallagher is on pace for 100 hits.

I think this at the very least cancels the AINECs out there.
I don't see how he plays first line duties when he is 10th among Montreal forwards in even strength TOI/game.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:43 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:

Coaches don't match lines based on where certain players sit on their teams stats chart.. Gallagher plays in the top 6 with the teams best scorer, has 3 gwg and leads all rookies in +/-. He's also part of the #1 team in the east. I certainly don't think that Huberdeau being #1 on the panthers in scoring is unimpressive, but I don't see it as a major positive either.

Quote:
I don't see how he plays first line duties when he is 10th among Montreal forwards in even strength TOI/game.
Gallaghers average TOI is up 5 minutes from the start of the season.. He averaged around 11-12 mins, some games playing as little as 9 minutes in the early going.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

3 finalists at this point are (in no particular order)
Huberdeau
Gallagher
Conacher

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
If the Blues continue to watch their vets goalies struggle and Allen continues to win, does he get mentioned in the Calder voting? His stats aren't fantastic obviously but in his 6 starts he is 5-1-0 so far and has the SOTY (as of now).

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:43 PM
XLJ

Right now I'd vote for Huberdeau. I have also been very impressed with Brodin's play.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:15 PM
SB164

3 game winning goals for Gallagher so far. The kid steps up his game when it's needed most.

Check out the full list. Most of them are basically the elite go-to guys on their respective teams.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote