HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Varlamov Man Crush Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2013, 01:33 PM
  #51
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierresLongStick View Post
While I myself am a big Varly fan and see top 10 potential, placing him ahead of RASK, luongo, schneider, and Miller is laughable.
I like how you bolded Rask who's actually the worst of the ones you listed there.

Varly is better then both Schneider and Rask, also more proven.

I would take Luongo over Varly, but that's the only one of that list.

Luongo, Ward, Rinne, Lundqvist, Quick, Leghtonen, Backstrom, Price are the ones who are a clear step ahead of Varly right now.

Kipper, Miller, Varly, Anderson, Howard, Brodeur, Bryzgalov, Halak, Rask, Schneider, Smith, Fleury are in the next tier.

Theodore, Dubnyk, Niemi, Hiller, Nabokov, Crawford, Pavelec, Vokoun, Lindback, Riemer are in the last tier.

30 goalies in the league that I would classify as starters right now. The CBJ duo and WSH duo should both be backups right now IMO. Lindback and Riemer are borderline starters IMO but I added them.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:02 PM
  #52
Frenchy
Global Moderator
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Anyone who thinks Ryan Miller is better than Varly right now is off his rocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Agreed Miller hasn't been all that good for a while now. Schneider hasn't been good this year, and IMO he gets a bit sheltered playing on a team as good as Vancouver.

IMO Varly is top 15, that at stretches can play like a top 5-10. When he gets a bit more consistent (ie not letting in soft goals) he will be top 5-7.
Miller hasn't been the same sice his collision with Lucic. He suffered a concussion on that hit and he's having a hard time , ever since .


Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:12 PM
  #53
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,625
vCash: 500
I've been told by many Buffalo fans that Miller has been great, it's the shoddy D in front of him that's been the problem. The stats would seem to suggest this is the case:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

They're tied w/Edmonton in most shots given up per game. Of course when it comes to goals given up per game, Buffalo is still near the bottom, whereas Devan Dubious and that other guy are a little higher on the list.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:22 PM
  #54
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I've been told by many Buffalo fans that Miller has been great, it's the shoddy D in front of him that's been the problem. The stats would seem to suggest this is the case:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

They're tied w/Edmonton in most shots given up per game. Of course when it comes to goals given up per game, Buffalo is still near the bottom, whereas Devan Dubious and that other guy are a little higher on the list.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary
Their defense is better than ours:

Ehrhoff-Myers
Regehr-Sekera
Pardy/Leopold/Weber/Sulzer

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
  #55
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Their defense is better than ours:

Ehrhoff-Myers
Regehr-Sekera
Pardy/Leopold/Weber/Sulzer
The names are good, but somehow they still manage to actually play worse D than the Avs right now. Something is really wrong in Buffalo.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:19 PM
  #56
avalanchuck
Registered User
 
avalanchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
The names are good, but somehow they still manage to actually play worse D than the Avs right now. Something is really wrong in Buffalo.
Fire the coach! Oh wait... they already did that.

avalanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:10 PM
  #57
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
The names are good, but somehow they still manage to actually play worse D than the Avs right now. Something is really wrong in Buffalo.
That's unpossible, teams just feel bad for Matt and Varly and so don't abuse our D as much as they could if they wanted to, whereas teams still go all out against Buffalo cause the talents there and Vanek has been unreal despite the team going to **** around him.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:20 PM
  #58
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,633
vCash: 500
Thread deserves a bump as well tonight. Another hell of a game for Varly. starting to find some consistency, exactly what he and the Avs needed!

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:22 PM
  #59
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 500
The man makes the sexiest glove saves the world has ever seen!

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:53 AM
  #60
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,939
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
The names are good, but somehow they still manage to actually play worse D than the Avs right now. Something is really wrong in Buffalo.
Names are better, but that's about it. However, when we had Landy + O'Reilly out, ours were on par or worse than them.

They're missing those heart and soul type players. On paper they're very good, but really besides Miller, they don't have a player that steps up when needed.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:51 PM
  #61
CalderKing21
Darth Calder
 
CalderKing21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 531
i really want to see Varly with an elite D unit in front of him that doesn't accidentally turn the puck over in their own zone, whiff on clears and screen him into giving up a bad goal.

dude is a beast and with a better defense would be a threat to lead the league in wins.
i don't want to think about where we would be without him.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:12 PM
  #62
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel
 
Bordeleau Of Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
i really want to see Varly with an elite D unit in front of him that doesn't accidentally turn the puck over in their own zone, whiff on clears and screen him into giving up a bad goal.

dude is a beast and with a better defense would be a threat to lead the league in wins.
i don't want to think about where we would be without him.
I'd like to see what he could do with a merely competent defense corps in front of him. The fact that he has a .914 save percentage right now is downright heroic.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:14 PM
  #63
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 15,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Comin View Post
I'd like to see what he could do with a merely competent defense corps in front of him. The fact that he has a .914 save percentage right now is downright heroic.
Exactly. Varly is behind one of the worst(if not the worst) defense cores in NHL. Avalanche needs to fix this defense somehow.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:18 PM
  #64
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
Come At Me, Bro!
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Exactly. Varly is behind one of the worst(if not the worst) defense cores in NHL. Avalanche needs to fix this defense somehow.


+


__________________
WhyNotUs?
Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:38 PM
  #65
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post


+

Would be fantastic if we could somehow get Bouwmeester or Giordano from them without giving up one of our C's. Don't know if that's even possible, but I would love to make a play for it.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:09 PM
  #66
marioni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
dude is a beast and with a better defense would be a threat to lead the league in wins.
i don't want to think about where we would be without him.
Hear hear. He was amazing again.

There's a thread running on main board on starting goalies, you wouldnt believe how underrated Varly is.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:31 PM
  #67
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 20,511
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Would be fantastic if we could somehow get Bouwmeester or Giordano from them without giving up one of our C's. Don't know if that's even possible, but I would love to make a play for it.
meh dont want either guy. If we are gonna poach from anyone I hope its in Buffalo, Washington or even the Flyers.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
  #68
CalderKing21
Darth Calder
 
CalderKing21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Comin View Post
I'd like to see what he could do with a merely competent defense corps in front of him. The fact that he has a .914 save percentage right now is downright heroic.
we need to add a legit top pairing guy with EJ and legit top 4 guy. that way it shakes everyone down to their proper positions and allows the kids to develop at a slower pace.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:53 PM
  #69
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,483
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
we need to add a legit top pairing guy with EJ and legit top 4 guy. that way it shakes everyone down to their proper positions and allows the kids to develop at a slower pace.
I think the defense would be okay if we could get a legitimate top-2, or a young top-4 capable of growing into a top-2 to play with EJ.

Acquisition - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Someone

Would be pretty good IMO. If Elliott can get his game worked out he would look fantastic beside Wilson.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:36 PM
  #70
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,406
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post


+

+


bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:46 PM
  #71
CalderKing21
Darth Calder
 
CalderKing21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I think the defense would be okay if we could get a legitimate top-2, or a young top-4 capable of growing into a top-2 to play with EJ.

Acquisition - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Someone

Would be pretty good IMO. If Elliott can get his game worked out he would look fantastic beside Wilson.
works for me. i just need to stop seeing bums on the blue line and see some really good defense.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:12 PM
  #72
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 20,511
vCash: 50
Lets see where that idiot mclennan ranks Varly. He had Varly second worse goalie in the west earlier this yr only Mason/Bobrovsky was worse.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:15 PM
  #73
Avsboy
Registered User
 
Avsboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Lets see where that idiot mclennan ranks Varly. He had Varly second worse goalie in the west earlier this yr only Mason/Bobrovsky was worse.
At 12. BS.

Avsboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:16 PM
  #74
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 20,511
vCash: 50
Moved up 2 spots on Mclennans ranking. Bobrovsky is better then Varly so far now haha

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
  #75
Gigantor The Goalie
Screw Everyone
 
Gigantor The Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
At 12. BS.
Where is this ranking at?

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.