HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

DUHATSCHEK: Tight standings= sellers market

Old
03-11-2013, 03:46 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I think it's going to be a buyer's market. There's a tonne of teams looking to unload salary for next year and the level of competition in the East is really sad. There's like 5 teams that are decent this year in the east. The west is competitive as usual though.

Looks like there'll be more sellers than buyers in my opinion. I think players are going to go for less than usual or be fewer trades. Also it's worth noting that this is a deep draft this year (For real this time) so teams are more likely to hold on to 1st round picks.

Teams like Toronto and the NYI, who haven't sniffed the playoffs in yrs, will be very reluctant to give up a chance at the postseason, if they are within several pts of 8th.

And there is some disagreement, about how strong the 2013 draft is.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...of-talent.html
The good news is there’s some high-end young talent available in the 2013 NHL draft – Nathan MacKinnon, Seth Jones and Jonathan Drouin at the head of the class – for the bottom-feeders to feast on. The bad news? Contrary to popular belief, the 2013 draft isn’t nearly as deep as scouts initially projected the past couple of seasons.

“The 2013 draft is not as strong or as deep as we first thought,” said one scout, echoing the thoughts of many others. “It’s a deep top 10 and an OK first round, but I don’t see a lot of depth. Is it deeper than 2012? I’m not so sure.”

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Tim Wallach

vCash: 500
Quote:
I think it's going to be a buyer's market. There's a tonne of teams looking to unload salary for next year and the level of competition in the East is really sad. There's like 5 teams that are decent this year in the east. The west is competitive as usual though.

Looks like there'll be more sellers than buyers in my opinion. I think players are going to go for less than usual or be fewer trades. Also it's worth noting that this is a deep draft this year (For real this time) so teams are more likely to hold on to 1st round picks.

Personally, I don't buy into this "west is so much better" media bandwagon that has been going on for years. At one point it was maybe sort of true, but there are so many holes in the west it's not funny. Even the high-end teams are quite beatable. There are maybe two or three that are scary, but there's a whole lot of mediocrity out there.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:50 PM
theguyinside*

A lot of teams are far more reluctant to give up draft picks this year. There will be a lot of lateral moves, but it will probably be a pretty disappointing day for the guys at TSN with their marathon trade show.

theguyinside* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Teams like Toronto and the NYI, who haven't sniffed the playoffs in yrs, will be very reluctant to give up a chance at the postseason, if they are within several pts of 8th.

And there is some disagreement, about how strong the 2013 draft is.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...of-talent.html
The good news is there’s some high-end young talent available in the 2013 NHL draft – Nathan MacKinnon, Seth Jones and Jonathan Drouin at the head of the class – for the bottom-feeders to feast on. The bad news? Contrary to popular belief, the 2013 draft isn’t nearly as deep as scouts initially projected the past couple of seasons.

“The 2013 draft is not as strong or as deep as we first thought,” said one scout, echoing the thoughts of many others. “It’s a deep top 10 and an OK first round, but I don’t see a lot of depth. Is it deeper than 2012? I’m not so sure.”
Fair enough about the 2013 draft. Still the top 10 is great this year and remember 14 teams have a shot at #1 with not so bad picks if they don't get #1 (all but 4 lottery teams will have a potential franchise player). If there's a chance you can get Jones would you spend quality assets to get into the playoffs as a #8 seed? What if you fail drop to 9th and lose out on the #1 lottery?

Also, remember Toronto and the Islanders are young building teams, they are the least likely to trade off assets for a chance to make the playoffs than anyone. They are more likely to do straight up hockey trades rather than going for rentals given their relative situations.

Also, neither Toronto or NYI GMs are at risk of being fired.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:17 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernon View Post
As much as I an disgusted with the Oilers' philosophy of proudly bending over and throwing in the season on the hopes of some good picks, I would (just this one year) like to see the Flames sell.

Everybody's available.
It's a good draft year but not that good. It will be fun to mock flame fans when their team is forced to follow suit. The saving grace would have been being able to land Brad Richards.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:22 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Personally, I don't buy into this "west is so much better" media bandwagon that has been going on for years. At one point it was maybe sort of true, but there are so many holes in the west it's not funny. Even the high-end teams are quite beatable. There are maybe two or three that are scary, but there's a whole lot of mediocrity out there.
Are you trying to say the Montreal really is that good?

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:29 PM
shogun99

I actually think that the Oilers could get a 1st for Whitney and Khabi at the trade deadline. Teams will be that desperate for depth.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
Are you trying to say the Montreal really is that good?
Are they 1st place good? Remains to be seen if they can hold this kind of winning pattern together, but it's safe to say they're not the bottom of the conference team they were last year, and what most people had them pegged as being this year as well.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:34 PM
BrimStone64

6. What Feaster did say is this: it is "an organizational decision" that they are not going to tear down and rebuild. They're just not going to do it, no matter how much we all think they should. But, he added, "We do recognize we have certain contractual issues we have to deal with." He also indicated that any moves they make will try to address their smallish stature at centre, a problem that extends to some of their prospects, too.

BrimStone64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:41 PM
enthropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I'm torn. I'm tired of the Oilers moving their good players for picks, but with Hemsky having one more year, I wouldn`t be shocked if they shop him for picks. With the depth of the draft, I wouldn`t be too upset I don`t think.
Last "good" player I remember us selling for futures was Ryan Smyth.... Others since pretty much sucked, asked for a trade, or got NHL player in return... Off the top if my head anyway...

We NEED to move Whitney and Hemsky at the very least perhaps Horcoff too while we retain some of his cap hit if needed. Refresh the veteran presence on the team in the off-season.

Probably need to move Gagner too, but it's mor likely we get a proper offer for him in the off-season. He will demand too much money with this season's numbers...

Last edited by enthropi: 03-11-2013 at 04:46 PM.
enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleafsfan View Post
Even though we're making a push, the Leafs have some players that could hold value for some teams.

MacArthur
JM Liles
Komisarek
Connolly

I wouldn't expect anything higher than a 2nd in return for one of those players.
Nobody will give you anything for Komisarek or Liles let alone a 2nd. Maybe somebody would take a chance on one of them if their contracts expired at the end of the year. And Connolly is currently in the minors after clearing waivers, meaning every team passed on him for free.

Can't see why the Leafs would trade MacArthur...the team hasn't been to the playoffs in forever. Might as well keep him and hope for a good playoff run rather than give him up for a 2nd.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:01 PM
umwoz

I think the top teams will be throwing firsts out once they realize this is a top heavy draft.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:06 PM
GermanTitov

i think the fact that the cap goes down next year alot of teams will be forced to dump some salary. so that fact kind of evens out that there are alot of close teams in the standings

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:44 PM
officeglen

Quote:
I think it's going to be a buyer's market. There's a tonne of teams looking to unload salary for next year ...
Seller's market at the deadline, few sellers, lot of teams wanting to make the playoffs.

Buyer's market after the season.

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
Last "good" player I remember us selling for futures was Ryan Smyth.... Others since pretty much sucked, asked for a trade, or got NHL player in return... Off the top if my head anyway...

We NEED to move Whitney and Hemsky at the very least perhaps Horcoff too while we retain some of his cap hit if needed. Refresh the veteran presence on the team in the off-season.

Probably need to move Gagner too, but it's mor likely we get a proper offer for him in the off-season. He will demand too much money with this season's numbers...
I like how Oilers fans idea of making the team better, is to sell off their existing players and overpay for UFA's.

KLowe, is that you?

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I actually think that the Oilers could get a 1st for Whitney and Khabi at the trade deadline. Teams will be that desperate for depth.
That GM will and SHOULD be chastised if it happens.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'd love if Buffalo could somehow weasel away a 1st from someone for Regehr, but I think that possibility is remote. I'd be happy with a couple 2nd rounders for Leopold and Regehr.

regehr could get a 2nd or a prospect. dont see him getting a 1st unless they follow the trade last season where they gave Nashville Gausted + high 4th for a 1st.

Leopold could be a 3rd or 4th.

Pominville would net a 1st + young player (#1/#2 pick in the past 1-4 yrs) or goalie, + 3rd line/pair player 26 or younger.

Miller would net 2013 #1 + young goalie/player (#1/#2 pick the last few year) + young 3rd line/pair palyer (If back up goalie then this value will go up)

Buffalo will focus on moving these players to the Western conference (not Detroit or Columbus)

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:57 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I like how Oilers fans idea of making the team better, is to sell off their existing players and overpay for UFA's.

KLowe, is that you?
If you've watched the effort our depth players have had the last few weeks, you would understand why we want to purge some of our veterans and bring in new veteran players.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Djp

Quote:

All those interconference plays gives a good barometer of how better one conference is to the other......

In the west you have Chicago and Anaheim who have set themselves apart from the rest.

In the East it looks to be Boston and Pittsburgh that does the same.

Montreal will fade in the standings though likely still make the playoffs. Had there been 82 games I would say they would likely go into freefall. They are a young team.

At the end you will likely have 6-7 teams battling for the final 3 playoff spots.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADevil3034 View Post
Cammelleri to NJ please.
Severson + 2nd.

HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Nobody will give you anything for Komisarek or Liles let alone a 2nd. Maybe somebody would take a chance on one of them if their contracts expired at the end of the year. And Connolly is currently in the minors after clearing waivers, meaning every team passed on him for free.

Can't see why the Leafs would trade MacArthur...the team hasn't been to the playoffs in forever. Might as well keep him and hope for a good playoff run rather than give him up for a 2nd.
Komisarek won't be moved. If he had an expiring contract, maybe. But I can't see teams taking him at this deadline and having to have him on their roster (and, more importantly, pay him) next year too. Plus, he's got a NMC, which is severely going to limit the list of available teams.

Liles could be moved, but I don't think Leaf fans would like the return. Burke had faith in him and overpaid him a bit. If Nonis moves him, he's going to get a 2nd or 3rd in return and not much else. Plus, he's also got a NTC.

I think teams passed on Connolly during the waiver period because of his contract. But I could conceivably see him being dealt as a rental at the deadline, since a team would only have to pay his prorated salary for 3.5 weeks (players don't get paid in the playoffs). If a team was desparate for a veteran center for the playoffs, would it be worth it to pay approx. $400-500K and only give up a mid round draft pick in return? Doesn't seem so far-fetched to me...but the team WOULD have to have cap room available, which would be tricky.

I hope they don't deal Mac - he'll be too important for the playoff push. Honestly, I hope they give him an extension before the deadline as well.

Blue Goose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:43 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
No disrespect sir but I don't think you would get a fifth for the two together.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote