HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part IX: Glorious Stock Android User Master Race

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-11-2013, 03:07 PM
  #101
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,043
vCash: 500
The Nexus 7 32GB I have is definitely worth every cent. Such a nice machine.

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
03-11-2013, 03:38 PM
  #102
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,218
vCash: 500
The first HTC One reviews are out.
Although, food for thought, the phones were sent to reviewers last Friday/Saturday.

So these reviews are more in line with what I consider "First Impresssions"

Sined is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
  #103
Dave
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
The first HTC One reviews are out.
Although, food for thought, the phones were sent to reviewers last Friday/Saturday.

So these reviews are more in line with what I consider "First Impresssions"
Did you have one?

Dave is online now  
Old
03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
  #104
McSorleyStick
CYBORK
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 12,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The Nexus 7 32GB I have is definitely worth every cent. Such a nice machine.
Oh yeah I know the Nexus 7 is great, especially for the price

But having a lappy and a smartphone, I have to think about it

McSorleyStick is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 06:39 PM
  #105
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Did you have one?
No, I most likely won't get one till at least a month after the release of the HTC One.

Sined is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 08:47 PM
  #106
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Bruins4Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,917
vCash: 500
S4 looks like a slightly smaller Note 2 (which looks better than the S3 IMO).

__________________

Bruins4Lifer is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 09:22 PM
  #107
Baarle
I'm Sorry
 
Baarle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The LL
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,854
vCash: 50
Have my N4 for a few days, easily the best phone I've had so far. So fast and the picture is beautiful. Very sleek design but I need to find a case before I destroy it.

Baarle is online now  
Old
03-11-2013, 09:28 PM
  #108
Dave
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
I think the note2 is 5.5'' and the gs4 is said to be 4.99''.

I'm likely to get a gs4, mainly because it's the new phone. But I'm still quite torn between the note2 and the gs4.

The note2's screen is kind of a disappointment, but the huge battery/multi-window functionality/stylus are big pluses. The gs4's screen is gonna be nice, but lacks the stylus. I'll obviously have to wait for reviews on the gs4 to see if it has multi-window and what kind of battery life it has.

I really wanna see what's gonna happen with the note3, but the note2 is only 5months old, so I'm not expecting any news on the 3 for quite some time.


Anyone have a note2? How much is the stylus a part of the functionality? Do you use it all the time? Does the stylus improve the phone in anyway? Is it mandatory for certain functions? Or is more of a gimmick?

Dave is online now  
Old
03-11-2013, 09:54 PM
  #109
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Bruins4Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Anyone have a note2? How much is the stylus a part of the functionality? Do you use it all the time? Does the stylus improve the phone in anyway? Is it mandatory for certain functions? Or is more of a gimmick?
I haven't really found a need to use the stylus much; I got it for the screen size and batter life. But if you think you would take notes on it often I'd say get it for sure. The handwriting recognition software on it is very good.

Bruins4Lifer is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 12:28 AM
  #110
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
Have my N4 for a few days, easily the best phone I've had so far. So fast and the picture is beautiful. Very sleek design but I need to find a case before I destroy it.
Recommend nilkin case. Adds a plastic shell around the phone but adds minimum weight and size.

Comes with a screen protector. There are imitations but the back is designed on nilkin cases. Makes a big difference in grip

awesomo is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 10:11 AM
  #111
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,218
vCash: 500
Looks like the Verge's battery rating is deemed "pre-mature" by Brian Klug of Anandtech.

He says the battery tests have been very promising so far. I'm inclined to believe Brian on this. AnandTech is boss.

Sined is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 10:15 AM
  #112
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Looks like the Verge's battery rating is deemed "pre-mature" by Brian Klug of Anandtech.

He says the battery tests have been very promising so far. I'm inclined to believe Brian on this. AnandTech is boss.
So the battery is much better than even the DNA?

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
  #113
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 31,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Looks like the Verge's battery rating is deemed "pre-mature" by Brian Klug of Anandtech.

He says the battery tests have been very promising so far. I'm inclined to believe Brian on this. AnandTech is boss.
Battery rating of what?

__________________

Theres a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Its a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Id take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is online now  
Old
03-12-2013, 12:12 PM
  #114
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
So the battery is much better than even the DNA?
The DNA's battery is 2020mAh and the One's is 2300mAh.

Stories is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
  #115
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,043
vCash: 500
Ahh ok. **** you Verizon for only sticking to the DNA .

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
  #116
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Battery rating of what?
The Verge's review of the HTC One.

Sined is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:49 PM
  #117
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 31,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
The Verge's review of the HTC One.
Ah..., I've read a couple different things now, but it sounds like it will be a decent battery as compared to the rest.

The One is really starting to look like my next phone. The only downsides so far for me are the enclosed battery and no SD slot, but I think I can get over those.

Led Zappa is online now  
Old
03-12-2013, 11:06 PM
  #118
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 9,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I think the note2 is 5.5'' and the gs4 is said to be 4.99''.

I'm likely to get a gs4, mainly because it's the new phone. But I'm still quite torn between the note2 and the gs4.

The note2's screen is kind of a disappointment, but the huge battery/multi-window functionality/stylus are big pluses. The gs4's screen is gonna be nice, but lacks the stylus. I'll obviously have to wait for reviews on the gs4 to see if it has multi-window and what kind of battery life it has.

I really wanna see what's gonna happen with the note3, but the note2 is only 5months old, so I'm not expecting any news on the 3 for quite some time.


Anyone have a note2? How much is the stylus a part of the functionality? Do you use it all the time? Does the stylus improve the phone in anyway? Is it mandatory for certain functions? Or is more of a gimmick?
The stylus is the ultimate solution for note-taking on the fly. Take the stylus out, hold the button on it and tap the screen twice - instant note. Much faster than waking the device and entering a Notes program. It's also excellent for web browsing, especially navigating drop down menus that are impossible to use with your fingers. Quick sketches, some games (like match-3 games or card games), and a really awesome cut/paste mechanic are also really impressive. It's not mandatory, but it's much more than a gimmick. My next phone (in two years, of course) must have a stylus.

The screen is quickly falling behind in terms of dpi, but it's still at iPad 3/4 pixel density, so its still solid enough for me.

If you don't see yourself using the stylus for the above uses, I'd get the S4.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:14 AM
  #119
Dave
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
The stylus is the ultimate solution for note-taking on the fly. Take the stylus out, hold the button on it and tap the screen twice - instant note. Much faster than waking the device and entering a Notes program. It's also excellent for web browsing, especially navigating drop down menus that are impossible to use with your fingers. Quick sketches, some games (like match-3 games or card games), and a really awesome cut/paste mechanic are also really impressive. It's not mandatory, but it's much more than a gimmick. My next phone (in two years, of course) must have a stylus.

The screen is quickly falling behind in terms of dpi, but it's still at iPad 3/4 pixel density, so its still solid enough for me.

If you don't see yourself using the stylus for the above uses, I'd get the S4.
You may have just sold me on the note2, but I'll obviously wait and see how the gs4 fairs after release.

Dave is online now  
Old
03-13-2013, 08:07 AM
  #120
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Ah..., I've read a couple different things now, but it sounds like it will be a decent battery as compared to the rest.

The One is really starting to look like my next phone. The only downsides so far for me are the enclosed battery and no SD slot, but I think I can get over those.
I got over it with my One X.
It will be even easier for you since the One is defaulted at 32GB rather than the 16GB with which I'm a bit cramped.

Sined is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 01:01 PM
  #121
habs_24x
Registered User
 
habs_24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,366
vCash: 500
Ive had the S3 since last summer and have loved it.
That said, i truly hope the S4 leaks are not true. Some pics came out this week looking almost exactly like the S3/Note 2. No innovation, no change in crappy plastic body, just upgraded innards. Reminds me of Apple and their stupid S revisions. If Samsung really wants to stay number 1 in smartphones, they need to innovate constantly. Their Galaxy, Note and Ativ lines all look the same. Im truly hoping for something new ala HTC One or Sony Xperia Z.


The HTC One looks amazing, its everything i want in a new phone (minus the 4.7 inch screen... i wanted a 5 incher) but im holding out til thursday to decide.

habs_24x is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 01:11 PM
  #122
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,218
vCash: 500
Looks like Verizon might be getting the HTC One afterall...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/40...ater-this-year

Sined is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 01:13 PM
  #123
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,043
vCash: 500
I'd love it, but I don't want to wait that long. Still probably going to pull the trigger on the S4. I will say though, the one that that is kind of meh for me is that the pulldown bar is really meh on HTC phones.

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
  #124
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 33,082
vCash: 69
Lol the S4 looks almost exactly like the s3 and from the rumors I've heard, the hardware hasn't been upgraded too much.

DuckJet is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
  #125
Dave
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
People constantly talk about innovation with smart phones, or lack thereof, what do you even mean by saying that? If the gs4 was an aluminum or carbon fiber body or whatever material is nicer than plastic, would that be innovation? Everyone is raving about the HTC One (if it has a good battery, it will probably be the best phone out there) and are kind of hating on the GS4. Without looking at their OS's, what makes the HTC considerably more innovative than the Samsung? Same thing goes for the iPhones, what would apple have to do between their new and old devices to have them be considered innovative?

For me, new phones need to constantly boost the specs of their hardware from iteration to iteration. The 'innovation' between devices should mainly be coming in the form of OS updates. Most phones seem to have stagnated because they've seemingly reached the ideal ergonomic form. The 4-5" rectangle is seen in almost every single phone released, what makes one more innovative than the other?

Dave is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.