HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part IX: Glorious Stock Android User Master Race

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 03:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
The Nexus 7 32GB I have is definitely worth every cent. Such a nice machine.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

The first HTC One reviews are out.
Although, food for thought, the phones were sent to reviewers last Friday/Saturday.

So these reviews are more in line with what I consider "First Impresssions"

Old
03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
The first HTC One reviews are out.
Although, food for thought, the phones were sent to reviewers last Friday/Saturday.

So these reviews are more in line with what I consider "First Impresssions"
Did you have one?

Old
03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The Nexus 7 32GB I have is definitely worth every cent. Such a nice machine.
Oh yeah I know the Nexus 7 is great, especially for the price

But having a lappy and a smartphone, I have to think about it

Old
03-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Did you have one?
No, I most likely won't get one till at least a month after the release of the HTC One.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

S4 looks like a slightly smaller Note 2 (which looks better than the S3 IMO).

Old
03-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Baarle
I'm Sorry

vCash: 50
Have my N4 for a few days, easily the best phone I've had so far. So fast and the picture is beautiful. Very sleek design but I need to find a case before I destroy it.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Dave

I think the note2 is 5.5'' and the gs4 is said to be 4.99''.

I'm likely to get a gs4, mainly because it's the new phone. But I'm still quite torn between the note2 and the gs4.

The note2's screen is kind of a disappointment, but the huge battery/multi-window functionality/stylus are big pluses. The gs4's screen is gonna be nice, but lacks the stylus. I'll obviously have to wait for reviews on the gs4 to see if it has multi-window and what kind of battery life it has.

I really wanna see what's gonna happen with the note3, but the note2 is only 5months old, so I'm not expecting any news on the 3 for quite some time.

Anyone have a note2? How much is the stylus a part of the functionality? Do you use it all the time? Does the stylus improve the phone in anyway? Is it mandatory for certain functions? Or is more of a gimmick?

Old
03-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Anyone have a note2? How much is the stylus a part of the functionality? Do you use it all the time? Does the stylus improve the phone in anyway? Is it mandatory for certain functions? Or is more of a gimmick?
I haven't really found a need to use the stylus much; I got it for the screen size and batter life. But if you think you would take notes on it often I'd say get it for sure. The handwriting recognition software on it is very good.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:28 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
Have my N4 for a few days, easily the best phone I've had so far. So fast and the picture is beautiful. Very sleek design but I need to find a case before I destroy it.
Recommend nilkin case. Adds a plastic shell around the phone but adds minimum weight and size.

Comes with a screen protector. There are imitations but the back is designed on nilkin cases. Makes a big difference in grip

Old
03-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Looks like the Verge's battery rating is deemed "pre-mature" by Brian Klug of Anandtech.

He says the battery tests have been very promising so far. I'm inclined to believe Brian on this. AnandTech is boss.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:15 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Looks like the Verge's battery rating is deemed "pre-mature" by Brian Klug of Anandtech.

He says the battery tests have been very promising so far. I'm inclined to believe Brian on this. AnandTech is boss.
So the battery is much better than even the DNA?

Old
03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:

Battery rating of what?

Theres a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Its a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Id take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old
03-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
So the battery is much better than even the DNA?
The DNA's battery is 2020mAh and the One's is 2300mAh.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Ahh ok. **** you Verizon for only sticking to the DNA .

Old
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Battery rating of what?
The Verge's review of the HTC One.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
The Verge's review of the HTC One.
Ah..., I've read a couple different things now, but it sounds like it will be a decent battery as compared to the rest.

The One is really starting to look like my next phone. The only downsides so far for me are the enclosed battery and no SD slot, but I think I can get over those.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
I think the note2 is 5.5'' and the gs4 is said to be 4.99''.

I'm likely to get a gs4, mainly because it's the new phone. But I'm still quite torn between the note2 and the gs4.

The note2's screen is kind of a disappointment, but the huge battery/multi-window functionality/stylus are big pluses. The gs4's screen is gonna be nice, but lacks the stylus. I'll obviously have to wait for reviews on the gs4 to see if it has multi-window and what kind of battery life it has.

I really wanna see what's gonna happen with the note3, but the note2 is only 5months old, so I'm not expecting any news on the 3 for quite some time.

The stylus is the ultimate solution for note-taking on the fly. Take the stylus out, hold the button on it and tap the screen twice - instant note. Much faster than waking the device and entering a Notes program. It's also excellent for web browsing, especially navigating drop down menus that are impossible to use with your fingers. Quick sketches, some games (like match-3 games or card games), and a really awesome cut/paste mechanic are also really impressive. It's not mandatory, but it's much more than a gimmick. My next phone (in two years, of course) must have a stylus.

The screen is quickly falling behind in terms of dpi, but it's still at iPad 3/4 pixel density, so its still solid enough for me.

If you don't see yourself using the stylus for the above uses, I'd get the S4.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
The stylus is the ultimate solution for note-taking on the fly. Take the stylus out, hold the button on it and tap the screen twice - instant note. Much faster than waking the device and entering a Notes program. It's also excellent for web browsing, especially navigating drop down menus that are impossible to use with your fingers. Quick sketches, some games (like match-3 games or card games), and a really awesome cut/paste mechanic are also really impressive. It's not mandatory, but it's much more than a gimmick. My next phone (in two years, of course) must have a stylus.

The screen is quickly falling behind in terms of dpi, but it's still at iPad 3/4 pixel density, so its still solid enough for me.

If you don't see yourself using the stylus for the above uses, I'd get the S4.
You may have just sold me on the note2, but I'll obviously wait and see how the gs4 fairs after release.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Ah..., I've read a couple different things now, but it sounds like it will be a decent battery as compared to the rest.

The One is really starting to look like my next phone. The only downsides so far for me are the enclosed battery and no SD slot, but I think I can get over those.
I got over it with my One X.
It will be even easier for you since the One is defaulted at 32GB rather than the 16GB with which I'm a bit cramped.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:01 PM
habs_24x

Ive had the S3 since last summer and have loved it.
That said, i truly hope the S4 leaks are not true. Some pics came out this week looking almost exactly like the S3/Note 2. No innovation, no change in crappy plastic body, just upgraded innards. Reminds me of Apple and their stupid S revisions. If Samsung really wants to stay number 1 in smartphones, they need to innovate constantly. Their Galaxy, Note and Ativ lines all look the same. Im truly hoping for something new ala HTC One or Sony Xperia Z.

The HTC One looks amazing, its everything i want in a new phone (minus the 4.7 inch screen... i wanted a 5 incher) but im holding out til thursday to decide.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Looks like Verizon might be getting the HTC One afterall...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/40...ater-this-year

Old
03-13-2013, 01:13 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd love it, but I don't want to wait that long. Still probably going to pull the trigger on the S4. I will say though, the one that that is kind of meh for me is that the pulldown bar is really meh on HTC phones.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Lol the S4 looks almost exactly like the s3 and from the rumors I've heard, the hardware hasn't been upgraded too much.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Dave

People constantly talk about innovation with smart phones, or lack thereof, what do you even mean by saying that? If the gs4 was an aluminum or carbon fiber body or whatever material is nicer than plastic, would that be innovation? Everyone is raving about the HTC One (if it has a good battery, it will probably be the best phone out there) and are kind of hating on the GS4. Without looking at their OS's, what makes the HTC considerably more innovative than the Samsung? Same thing goes for the iPhones, what would apple have to do between their new and old devices to have them be considered innovative?

For me, new phones need to constantly boost the specs of their hardware from iteration to iteration. The 'innovation' between devices should mainly be coming in the form of OS updates. Most phones seem to have stagnated because they've seemingly reached the ideal ergonomic form. The 4-5" rectangle is seen in almost every single phone released, what makes one more innovative than the other?

Closed Thread