HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Trade deadline Wednesday, April 3 2013

Old
03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
2 Weekes Notice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg39 View Post
Haha, that's some all-star GM speak right there. Good to hear we're not going to trade picks for rentals this year

I think Yzerman is going to be very busy over the next few weeks.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:19 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
I bet we'll be sellers, trading roster players for picks and magically the team will improve and finish just outside of the playoffs. Just like last season.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Cigar City

Who is this Yzerman fellow?

/

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:42 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
He's been one of the few guys that hasn't stopped over the past 2 years. He works hard every game despite being 37 years old, and sure he has a lot of turnovers but he also has the puck more than any other forward. He QBs pretty much every offensive play. A lot of his turnovers or stupid decisions probably stem from him trying to do too much, same reason for Stammer's recent trouble with turnovers. Would you say that Iginla isn't the heart and soul of Calgary? They've sucked for longer than 2 years.

Plus don't forget, he's 37 years old. You can't expect the guy to continue to carry the team forever.
Which is why it makes sense to trade him for Couture + if that offer is ever on the table...his status as a legend for this club won't be extinguished or taken away if he's traded away. That's great value for our team and it gives Marty a chance to win another cup.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg39 View Post
I got a good chuckle.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Which is why it makes sense to trade him for Couture + if that offer is ever on the table...his status as a legend for this club won't be extinguished or taken away if he's traded away. That's great value for our team and it gives Marty a chance to win another cup.
No. It sends an awful message to our current studs like Stamkos and Hedman, for one, that there is no organizational loyalty. Why sign an 8 year contract here if you know that you could get shipped off, no matter how well you're playing? Marty has been the heart and soul of this team for a decade. You don't trade that away. Ever.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:19 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
No. It sends an awful message to our current studs like Stamkos and Hedman, for one, that there is no organizational loyalty. Why sign an 8 year contract here if you know that you could get shipped off, no matter how well you're playing? Marty has been the heart and soul of this team for a decade. You don't trade that away. Ever.
This.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Trading Marty would be one of the most catastrophic events in Lightning history.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:39 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Why not if the player asks for a trade? Should we instead keep him here and force him to play if he's unhappy with the team and its direction? Couture+ would be a massive haul for a 37 year old player and is something you can't ignore, especially if Marty asked SFY for to explore his options. Marty has two years left on his contract and has honoured it and spent the better part of his career in Tampa. The man has done more for this franchise than anyone could have asked for, so I'd grant him his wish if he wanted to have another chance with a contender.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Why not if the player asks for a trade? Should we instead keep him here and force him to play if he's unhappy with the team and its direction? Couture+ would be a massive haul for a 37 year old player and is something you can't ignore, especially if Marty asked SFY for to explore his options. Marty has two years left on his contract and has honoured it and spent the better part of his career in Tampa. The man has done more for this franchise than anyone could have asked for, so I'd grant him his wish if he wanted to have another chance with a contender.
Like I said, if he requests a trade in his last season or 2 for one last hurrah at the Cup, fine. He's meant so much to this organization that we would at least owe him that much. But to simply think about what we could get in return is the wrong way to go about it. No matter what we get, it won't be equal value for what he means to us.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:49 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Like I said, if he requests a trade in his last season or 2 for one last hurrah at the Cup, fine. He's meant so much to this organization that we would at least owe him that much. But to simply think about what we could get in return is the wrong way to go about it. No matter what we get, it won't be equal value for what he means to us.
I have a better idea:

Trade for a real NHL quality starter and maybe St Louis can win another cup in Tampa.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:51 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
I have a better idea:

Trade for a real NHL quality starter and maybe St Louis can win another cup in Tampa.
Easier said than done

Old
03-11-2013, 03:52 PM
zeykshade

I see MSL playing until he's 40-41 or so. There'd have to be a precipitous decline in his game and I just don't see it. He was rusty to start the season, but so was everyone not wearing a Blackhawks jersey apparently.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:15 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
The original point of this thread was IF he asked for a trade due to the clause in his contract that states he can demand a trade if we're not a competitive playoff team etc. What's wrong with trading Marty if that were the case? I would easily accept Couture +.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Mr Underhill

I the premise is: if he asked for it.

What would you rather them do: tell him no and force him to play his remaining years on a fringe playoff team in Tampa?

Marty deserves to go if he wanted to. Dudes only got a couple years left.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:43 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post
I the premise is: if he asked for it.

What would you rather them do: tell him no and force him to play his remaining years on a fringe playoff team in Tampa?

Marty deserves to go if he wanted to. Dudes only got a couple years left.
This was my thinking exactly. And if the offer was to a Western conference team and the return was Couture +, I wouldn't even have to think about it (would never be Couture+ though )

Old
03-11-2013, 05:27 PM
jg39
SFY is great

vCash: 517
I posted the quote from Yzerman not to represent my opinion, just what he said. I agree with others that most of what he said was chuckle-worthy.

It was classic "GM talk" though as 2 Weekes pointed out... the only thing I felt that was missing were the phrases "it is what it is" or "we have to see how things pan out."

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:42 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Ask Philly about signing guys to long deals and traded them. They also traded their C and im sure they won't have a problem getting FA's in the future. This is a business and you need to do what you can to win. Marty would be one of our best trade assets to help this team in the future because the current isn't looking good. Gretzky got traded, Jagr got traded it happens. Yes he's been great for us and will forever be remembered for that but we need to do what it takes to win.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:56 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Ask Philly about signing guys to long deals and traded them. They also traded their C and im sure they won't have a problem getting FA's in the future. This is a business and you need to do what you can to win. Marty would be one of our best trade assets to help this team in the future because the current isn't looking good. Gretzky got traded, Jagr got traded it happens. Yes he's been great for us and will forever be remembered for that but we need to do what it takes to win.
Gretzky was traded because they had to, Pocklington ran outta money. And Jagr got traded because he was making 11 million dollars a year and Washington also couldn't afford it. This situation is nothing like that.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
I have a better idea:

In front of what defense? Even if Gudas, Barberio and Korobov all hit their ceiling potential, that is still years away. Also Vasi will be the Netminder for us I'm sure. Even Halak in his 2010 cup run would have a huge problem back stopping us to a cup, and his performance was one of the best I have ever seen. (Did not see Quick's last years, watched the scores of the games, not the games themselves.)

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Allaboard

We have lost a pile of one goal games we are really not that far off. If Gudas and whoever else could just NOT cough off the puck we could be very competitive. I'm surprised it has taken this long to do something, anything with our defensemen. Just get the puck out of our zone, we don't need the second coming of Bobby Orr.

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:54 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboard View Post
We have lost a pile of one goal games we are really not that far off. If Gudas and whoever else could just NOT cough off the puck we could be very competitive. I'm surprised it has taken this long to do something, anything with our defensemen. Just get the puck out of our zone, we don't need the second coming of Bobby Orr.
Cup winning d in. Tampa was the worst I had ever seen hoist the cup. Thiis d is better imo. U need a good goalie. It's amazing how a great keeper hides poor d.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:56 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Easier said than done
I don't think he's even tryng.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:30 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Cup winning d in. Tampa was the worst I had ever seen hoist the cup. Thiis d is better imo. U need a good goalie. It's amazing how a great keeper hides poor d.
Uhhh...

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
In front of what defense? Even if Gudas, Barberio and Korobov all hit their ceiling potential, that is still years away. Also Vasi will be the Netminder for us I'm sure. Even Halak in his 2010 cup run would have a huge problem back stopping us to a cup, and his performance was one of the best I have ever seen. (Did not see Quick's last years, watched the scores of the games, not the games themselves.)
Quicks level of play last year was nothing short of incredible.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote