HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Is Brian Flynn in our future plans

Old
03-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Girgenburger

vCash: 500
Is Brian Flynn in our future plans

In his 5 game stint, we've seen him give his all every shift. Very small sample size, but his hard work has rewarded him with 2 goals. Is he more effective than, say, Gerbe or Hecht? Is he just a quick fix for our bottom 6 while Kaleta finishes his suspension?

When healthy, our forward corps are crowded. Does he challenge for a chance as a regular next year?

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Leino-Flynn?
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp

In my opinion, I really like the guy and admire what he brings. I see his ceiling as a fringe 2nd/3rd line winger with some scoring touch. Whether he reaches that is yet to be seen.

Last edited by Girgenburger: 03-11-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:08 PM
OcAirlines

Why shouldn't he be? As long as he keeps playing good he'll stay up, if not then he'll go back to Rochester. He certainly has been a pleasant surprise, especially since he already stepped up his game quite a bit after being invisible in his first 1-2 appearances. He seems to adapt to a new league pretty quickly, it was like the same when he came into the AHL as well

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:11 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

If he's one of those guys who's productive at every level, he'll stay, if not now, then the next injury, if not, peace.

This will work itself out.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:00 PM
sabrefan27

In future seasons, yes. I think he'll be an NHL regular. I think he'll get sent down Tuesday if Leino plays, but he made a good impression.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:13 PM
ManuelCalavera
La-La-La-Locked Out

Once the adrenaline boost wears off, we'll see him regress. When everyone around you is complacent, it is incredibly difficult not to sink into that mindset. The best thing for his development is to return to Rochester.

ManuelCalavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

He's one of the guys this crappy season will be really good for. He's going to get his shot, hopefully for the rest of the season, and we'll see what he can bring. If he can keep up his scoring pace, he becomes what we hoped Gerbe would be. If he can't keep contributing offensively, though, I'll probably lump him in with guys like Gerbe -- great AHL guy, great effort guy, but the scoring just doesn't translate to the NHL.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
So far one of the few bright spots for the season has been Flynn's play in both Rochester and Buffalo. Christiano's guys did well here.

03-11-2013, 02:47 PM
RattleYourSabre

I have yet to see him play poorly. If this team is being built on merit rather than reputation, I think he'll be around for awhile.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:52 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

I like him a lot. He plays harder and seems more skilled then a lot of players on this team from the 2nd line down imo.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
slip

He's certainly making every effort to be in our plans. Gotta respect the kid for that.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Already penciled him in as a top 6 winger next year just like Foligno...can't fail!!

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Sabreality

i have no issue with giving him a shot, but this team needs to get DEEPER, and Flynn getting 2nd/3rd line minutes isnt that answer for success.

but i'd be more than fine with Kaleta-Porter-Flynn 4th line combo next year.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:07 PM
AmerksPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
I have yet to see him play poorly. If this team is being built on merit rather than reputation, I think he'll be around for awhile.
I agree and have also been a big fan from seeing him in Rochester. The way I see it (assuming there isn't a trade) is they have to lose 2 forwards between : Grigorenko(unlikely), Hecht(maybe), Foligno, Flynn, Porter. The Foligno-Porter-Flynn line has been the best line the past 3 games, but neither Flynn or Foligno would have to clear waivers. porter would have to clear and may get claimed. Rolston also really likes him.

Ultimately I think they are going to have to waive Hecht(athough I am fine with him as a 4th liner) and either Flynn or Foligno goes back. My gut feeling is they send Flynn back. They keep Foligno up even though Flynn has outplayed him. At least the Amerks will be getting a quality guy back regardless.

If they don't waive Hecht, would they ever send Flynn and Foligno back together? Should be an interesting couple of days...

AmerksPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Who freaking knows?

Luke Adam had a longer stretch of good play in the show before falling off the face of the rink.

If he keeps working his tail off, sure.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Flynn was brought up when Vanek was hurt. Now Kaleta is suspended. If Leino comes back off IR, it seems he'd go back to Rochester though it wouldn't hurt Marcus to get a wakeup call IMO.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Kopifart

was wondering could he be a late bloomer like a Matt Read? Come from college and become a top 6 type guy out of nowhere?

Kopifart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:14 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopifart View Post
was wondering could he be a late bloomer like a Matt Read? Come from college and become a top 6 type guy out of nowhere?
I don't think Read is top 6 but I get your idea.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:40 PM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
He seems to adapt to a new league pretty quickly, it was like the same when he came into the AHL as well
He was the same way in college. He came to Maine as a recruited walk on so no expectations, but after a couple games he started scoring and ended up on the top two lines most of the year and went on to have a very productive career with 156 points when no one expected him to even crack the line up. What you see is what you get with Flynn he doesn't take any nights off I can't think of one game in his 4 years at Maine where I left the rink saying he didn't show up tonight.

NCAA Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:15 PM
mgeise

All I know is that I like having a 4th line that can chip in a bit offensively rather than being full of guys like Scott, McCormick, and Ellis. I think Flynn deserves to stay up over Foligno at this point if one needs to go down to Rochester. Foligno hasn't been playing like the physical presence that we need him to be.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:45 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
All I know is that I like having a 4th line that can chip in a bit offensively rather than being full of guys like Scott, McCormick, and Ellis. I think Flynn deserves to stay up over Foligno at this point if one needs to go down to Rochester. Foligno hasn't been playing like the physical presence that we need him to be.
Right, because having McCormick was a huge problem.

No.

Explain to me who in this lineup makes him redundant? Lindy Ruff's skewed brain? What the ****? At least he forechecks and hits, and drops the gloves when he doesn't have broken hands or fingers, no?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Imlach a cup

Don't forget about Tropp. If he recovers from that injury he will push for a roster spot as well.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:02 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Don't forget about Tropp. If he recovers from that injury he will push for a roster spot as well.
Love tropp, would honestly rather send down stafford than flynn right now, kids working hard

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:19 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Love tropp, would honestly rather send down stafford than flynn right now, kids working hard
Keep in mind that Flynn isn't exactly a kid, as he's 24 and turning 25 this summer.

As for the OP, yes, Flynn should be in our future plans because he's depth, something we don't have much of.
He deserves to show what he can do on his second contract.
I don't think he sticks with the Sabres though, as I see him as more of a bottom six recall option than a bonafide NHL'er.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:37 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Keep in mind that Flynn isn't exactly a kid, as he's 24 and turning 25 this summer.

As for the OP, yes, Flynn should be in our future plans because he's depth, something we don't have much of.
He deserves to show what he can do on his second contract.
I don't think he sticks with the Sabres though, as I see him as more of a bottom six recall option than a bonafide NHL'er.
I agree, and if he is in the plans as a major piece, it speaks to the lack of forward options. Though he has been a bright spot thus far.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:34 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

I'd LOVE to replace Gerbe with him. Replace Hecht with Tropp. Keep Porter up. I'm happy with that.

Last edited by RazielMoshman: 03-12-2013 at 04:40 AM.
RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote