HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers Draft OLB Jarvis Jones

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 04:28 PM
sniugneP

vCash: 500
They said Dolphins to Wallace is done deal. I'm not sure yet. Wouldn't surprise me if Vikings will try to sign him after they trade Harvin.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
the problem is that we likely have to replace his production with a pick we could have used to shore up another area. now multiply that when we traded holmes for nothing and let plax leave for nothing.
thats three #1 receiver types that we have to replace in 8 years.

and somehow fans dont understand why the offense has struggled all these years
The pick we got for Holmes turned into Antonio Brown. We got good value albeit through sheer luck of hitting on a very late draft pick. Pretty sure Plax got us a 4th round compensation pick which we used on Willie Colon. Again Sheer luck but we got something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Surprising that Foster is signed a day before free agency starts. He's a dependable guard. It'll be interesting if he can play in zone blocking scheme since we have a new position coach.

I definitely think Colon will be cut on June 1. Each team have up to 2 players to be cut on June 1.
Yeah, I'm also interested to see how Foster and the rest of the line adjust to a new scheme.

I'm not surprised he signed before UFA though. The negotiating period began March 9th. NFL put that in to stop the tampering that used to go on. His reps have been allowed to talk to other teams for the past few days. I guess after talking to other teams he realized the Steelers offer was good enough.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:55 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I'm not surprised he signed before UFA though. The negotiating period began March 9th. NFL put that in to stop the tampering that used to go on. His reps have been allowed to talk to other teams for the past few days. I guess after talking to other teams he realized the Steelers offer was good enough.
Good point. I think we will sign a cornerback in free agency. It may be Lewis or someone else. It would eliminate a need to draft a CB.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:57 PM
sniugneP

I wonder what will happen if Warmack is available when our pick is up. Do we draft him even though we have DeCastro and Foster? I think Colbert is expecting Warmack is gone before Steelers.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I wonder what will happen if Warmack is available when our pick is up. Do we draft him even though we have DeCastro and Foster? I think Colbert is expecting Warmack is gone before Steelers.
I think you'd have to pick him depending what else is on the board because the value is too good to pass up. If they are content with Foster and DeCastro then that also might be a scenario where you look to trade down if somebody really wants to move up and pick Warmack if he's still there. I doubt he'll be there though.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Good point. I think we will sign a cornerback in free agency. It may be Lewis or someone else. It would eliminate a need to draft a CB.
A lot of CB options out there. Tons available in UFA and supposedly a fairly deep CB class if we do go the draft route.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
sniugneP

They're high on Beachum. They want him to play guard this season.

I really think they draft a defensive prospect in first round.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
They're high on Beachum. They want him to play guard this season.

I really think they draft a defensive prospect in first round.
Makes sense. You never know what's going to be there when your pick comes up though. I'd take the BPA regardless of whether he plays offense or defense.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:21 PM
turd

I look for a DE/LB hybrid in the first round. Someone that can get to the QB for a change and isn't a fatty like Woodley.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:56 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
I look for a DE/LB hybrid in the first round. Someone that can get to the QB for a change and isn't a fatty like Woodley.
Everyone knows my answer to this...

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
03-11-2013, 05:58 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
I will be pissed if we pick Simon in first round. It's really a reach. There are better players than Simon at 17th pick. I won't have a problem if we can get him in second round or even third round.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
You took the son of a ***** in the first round in the mock.

That's just sad.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
03-11-2013, 06:10 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

That's just sad.

If you were involved, you'd be taking players no one has ever heard of.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:11 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

That's just sad.
Next year, you take his place.

EoL, you're fired!

Old
03-11-2013, 06:11 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
I will be pissed if we pick Simon in first round. It's really a reach. There are better players than Simon at 17th pick. I won't have a problem if we can get him in second round or even third round.
It's a joke. I'd like to see him taken in the 3rd.

BPA in the first or trade down is what I'd like to see.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:14 PM
turd

Quote:
Everyone except for me, apparently.

Regardless, the way things are shaping up, I think they almost have to go defense in round one. Whether it be D-line, LB, or CB, I don't really care. WR and RB you can get anytime. No need to waste a first rounder on one, unless they are can't-miss.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Next year, you take his place.

EoL, you're fired!
I usually do it...EoL sniped me this year though

And hey...I would have been far more justified in taking Trumaine Johnson in the first last year...but I didn't. I forget who I took (threads disappear after about a month there), but I think only one of my picks last year went later in the real draft than when I took him...and that was a guy the Steelers took anyway

Old
03-11-2013, 09:31 PM
AgentM

Quote:
I honestly think we have the talent on o-line, they just need to stay healthy and learn together under the new coach. We have much more pressing needs right now and while I know you don't want to draft for position over talent I really hope we have comparable options available at OLB, S, ILB, and even WR.

Unfortunately Jarvis Jones got a clean bill of health from doctors today which means he'll definitely be gone before we pick. If he's not he would be the perfect pick for our defense. If he's gone I'm hoping for Vaccaro or Mingo or we trade back if possible.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
An upset of today: Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer signed his sixth-round tender for $1.323 million. Didn't want to wait. Wanted to prove point.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Dwyer's an okay depth runner. Nice to have him back. We still need a legit #1, imo.

I heard Mark Kaboly who covers the Steelers say they'd like to sign a UFA OLB to compete with Worilds. He said they've been in contact with 3 OLB's that he knows of but he didn't mention who specifically. He said lack of cap space would make acquiring any of them a problem though.

I also saw former Penn State LB Dan Connor got released from Dallas. Maybe the Steelers will take a look at him on the cheap since they need LB depth. The fact he's fizzled out with two teams already is alarming though.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:19 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

I've read victor butler is one of those guys

Old
03-11-2013, 11:23 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The pick we got for Holmes turned into Antonio Brown. We got good value albeit through sheer luck of hitting on a very late draft pick. Pretty sure Plax got us a 4th round compensation pick which we used on Willie Colon. Again Sheer luck but we got something.

Yeah, I'm also interested to see how Foster and the rest of the line adjust to a new scheme.

Tone was traded for a 5th. AB was a 6th.

The problem is we are always trying to replace that production. Why not keep what we have and build on it. It not coincidence the best we've seen the offense perform In recent years is when we had tone, Hines, and Wallace as our 3rd receiver

Old
03-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
Tone was traded for a 5th. AB was a 6th.

The problem is we are always trying to replace that production. Why not keep what we have and build on it. It not coincidence the best we've seen the offense perform In recent years is when we had tone, Hines, and Wallace as our 3rd receiver
We traded the 5th we got for Holmes to Arizona for a 6th that became Antonio Brown and Bryant McFadden.

I hate losing players too but Holmes was too risky to invest in long-term, imo. I think he was one failed drug test away from a long suspension. Burress obviously had issues too and that carried over to NY. Wallace just wants more than he's worth. I really don't want to be allocating 13 million a season to that guy.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:35 PM
nazembiggs*

Any chance we grab a wr for the cheap in free agency. I think a guy like Greg Jennings could be had for cheap as he's coming off an injury riddled season. It was also reported that he was looking for a team with a good qb and good coach.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Kiper has the Steelers taking Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert in his latest 1st round mock... with Chance Warmack still on the board too.

Closed Thread