HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How to fix the powerplay?

Old
03-10-2013, 07:43 PM
BrandonL

vCash: 500
It's getting to the point where this is almost comical. At this point Newell Brown is almost like Old Yeller. Let's just put him out of his misery.

BrandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:40 PM
jammyrft

Edler should be benched and not on the PP. His zone entry is terrible with his back pass. It usually always results in a turn over, and completely haults forward momentum.

It's like the guys are scared to shoot. JUST SHOOT THE ****ING PUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Kmode

Firstly, remove the 4th line Center from the point on our first unit.

Secondly, get someone who is comfortable in front of the net taking a beating, screening the goalie and banging home some garbage goals.

Thirdly, fire AV because I think that will solve lots of our problems.

Kmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:14 PM
biturbo19

More so than swapping the personnel around, or putting people in different spots...the solution is simple.

MOVEMENT.

Get guys to start moving their freaking feet away from the puck, move their feet with the puck, switch spots, wander around change angles and lanes, make the PKers really work. As it stands right now, we've got a pair of Sedins fiddling around with the puck on the right half boards and 3 other guys standing around like tourists gawking at what the Twins are doing. It's not about the Xs and Os of where each guy should be located...it's the opposite. This PP is trying to set-play it's way out of a scoring slump and it's predictable, stagnant, and isn't going to work until they start moving around, snapping the puck around with authority and creativity, and actually attempting to break down the box.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:16 PM
thebigbea

this team need KB... right hand shot at the point..

thebigbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbea View Post
this team need KB... right hand shot at the point..
Need RK more.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Shareefruck

The thing I noticed is that Sedin - Sedin - Burrows - Defenseman - Defenseman doesn't really work. Burrows goes to the front of the net, and the Sedins seem to have no play to make from then on. We don't have a right-hand shot, so they end up being really ineffective at feeding the point from the right side. The thing that made the powerplay work the last few years was that the Sedins had two immediate one-timer options-- Kesler on the far side and Salo on the right point. When Kesler had the puck, he was effective at feeding the left point for a left-handed onetimer. With Burrows and two left handed defensemen, a one-timer is all but impossible, rendering Burrows in front of the net useless, considering that the Sedins don't play that way (shooting through screens).

I would go with

Kassian - Sedin - Burrows
Edler - Sedin

Raymond - Schroeder - Higgins
Hamhuis - Garrison

Either that, or burrows needs to get smarter and not just stand in front of the net all the time-- he needs to get to the soft areas higher/further out of the slot, IMO.

Or it also might work if Burrows stays in front of the net, Henrik sets up on the left side, Daniel floats on the right side, Garrison receives passes from Henrik from the left point, and Edler is on the right point.

It's all pretty moot if they can't get set up, though-- that's just flat out effort.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-10-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Sedins on the boards, hansen/kassian screening the goalie, garrison and edler on the points with edler pinching
I like Kassian as the net guy. Personally, I would consider doing something drastic like taking a twin off the 1st unit or dropping Daniel to the point to feed Garrison a 1 timer.

Ideally:

Dan/Hank on the right wall. I lean more to Daniel since he is actually able/willing to shoot the puck on net at times. Makes more sense to use a guy who is capable of a shot/pass option.

Kesler on the left side wall. He is a trigger man. Seems a bit of waste to take away the one RHS who is able to score goals from the faceoff area and put him as a net presense, now that Kassian is around.

Kassian as the net guy.

Dan/Hank at the point to feed Garrison

Garrison, point shooter.

I think at times the twins get too attached to playing catch with each other and not getting pucks on net. Henrik has to show some inclination to shoot the puck.

Plus the 2 players on the side wall have to attack the net once the shot is take or at least read the play to know that the pass is going to the point and start to move towards the slot area to pick up a rebound. Often, the twins who play along the wall are way too late to loose pucks in the slot.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

There is little that can be done. Maybe firing Brown helps a small amount but I doubt by much.

The Canucks lost Ehrhoff, Samuelsson and Salo in the last two seasons who all spent significant time on the first unit powerplay on the point. Also Kesler is injured. The only guy brought in to 'replace' these guys was Garrison. I don't actually believe Garrison was signed to QB the number one powerplay, but he's the only guy you can even pretend was brought in to help the powerplay in the last two seasons.

The downfall seems pretty inevitable. The Sedin's are playmakers with no RHS players to set up for one timers. Edler is not quite as dynamic as Ehrhoff at the point.

I wouldn't mind some of the suggestions mentioned here like Kassian in front of the net. I just doubt the Canucks will have an elite powerplay until Kesler returns. They lack the personel for it.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:14 AM
leftwinglockdown
Dude Guy

One change they need to make is getting Daniel back to the left-wall/slot, he's not helping anyone by being behind the net. That's why we're not shooting much this year, he's spending way too much time playing catch with Hank and not shooting from his sweet-spot. That's the reason he gets 30-40 goals a year.

leftwinglockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:32 AM
Steve Bennett*

The last couple games all I've seen the pp do is pass the puck around beautifully (usually Sedin Sedin) and when the puck goes to Edler he panics and shoots the puck which gets blocked and cleared or deflected out of play and on the next faceoff the Canucks lose it and the puck gets cleared...

How about just try for one game taking Edler off the pp and have Garrison/Hamhuis on the point and then Ballard/Tanev on the second unit. Try something different, I really don't like Edlers' game right now and don't think he helps at all on the pp. Also absolutely get Schroeder off the point. And use Higgins more, the guy has one hell of a fast release. Maybe try him with the Sedins??!!!

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:56 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
The last couple games all I've seen the pp do is pass the puck around beautifully (usually Sedin Sedin) and when the puck goes to Edler he panics and shoots the puck which gets blocked and cleared or deflected out of play and on the next faceoff the Canucks lose it and the puck gets cleared...

How about just try for one game taking Edler off the pp and have Garrison/Hamhuis on the point and then Ballard/Tanev on the second unit. Try something different, I really don't like Edlers' game right now and don't think he helps at all on the pp. Also absolutely get Schroeder off the point. And use Higgins more, the guy has one hell of a fast release. Maybe try him with the Sedins??!!!
While i don't disagree with getting Edler off the #1PP...i really just don't think it matters.

You can plug in Garrison/Hamhuis/whoever on that first unit...but as long as 'The Guy' is just standing in one spot waiting for a one-timer...the PP is going to be defunct. Our guys are just so absurdly stationary. They're playing the PP like NHL13 videogame AI players. Standing still waiting for something to happen.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:04 AM
mossey3535

While Brown coaches the powerplay, from AV's comments in the Province today I feel like he dictates who is on it, and where.

Quote:
Vigneault has either been patient with his alignment or stubborn. He’s continued to have Jordan Schroeder on the point for his first power-play unit, while Jason Garrison, who had nine power-play goals last year, is on the second unit.

When will his patience run out?

“That’s a good question,” Vigneault said. “I’m going to be patient enough to start (Sunday’s game) way.

“How long that’s going to last, I don’t quite know.”

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:06 AM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
While i don't disagree with getting Edler off the #1PP...i really just don't think it matters.

You can plug in Garrison/Hamhuis/whoever on that first unit...but as long as 'The Guy' is just standing in one spot waiting for a one-timer...the PP is going to be defunct. Our guys are just so absurdly stationary. They're playing the PP like NHL13 videogame AI players. Standing still waiting for something to happen.
This is actually why I'm not 100% in favour of firing Brown. When he first got here the powerplay looked amazing with lots of movement. I'm not sure how it has gotten to the static mess that it has become.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:39 AM
leftwinglockdown
Dude Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
This is actually why I'm not 100% in favour of firing Brown. When he first got here the powerplay looked amazing with lots of movement. I'm not sure how it has gotten to the static mess that it has become.
I'm with you on not giving up on Brown. I think it just comes down to personnel. We just don't have the pieces right now to implement a good PP, especially with Kesler out.

Personally, I think Schroeder is being wasted on the point. He just doesn't look comfortable there, he's much more effective along the right wall. No clue why AV can't see this.

leftwinglockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:04 PM
ZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
1) Get new coaching staff
2) Put Zack in front of the net
3) Put Garrison on the point
4) Pass Garrison the puck
5) Throw hands up in the air sometimes
6) Say ayyyyyy-oh
7) ???
8) Win hockey games
This and teach the clowns how to hit the f-----g net..........they must miss that net 20 to 30 times a game.

ZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:15 PM
casualkev

Anyone else think we should try Tanev on the powerplay? Doesn't have a big shot but can set up the left shooting D on the point. He moves the puck very well and has poise. Much rather see passes up the ice instead of the Alex Edler drop pass of death

casualkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Classless One View Post
We're 0/16 on our last poweplays, what exactly is wrong and how would you fix it?
Replace the canucks with the blackhawks.

Problem solved

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:18 PM
thepuckmonster
on the decline

Put ****ing Tanev on the 1st PP so Garrison has a RHD to set him up.

If AV thinks that Schroeder can man the point (yet is only worthy of 4th line ES minutes), Tanev should get a look as well. His decision making is faster than most of our players'.

Also stop waiting 40 years to pass the puck or shoot. It neuters our offensive threat, the opposing team doesn't have to be Miss Cleo to read our plays and know whats going to happen if you give them that much time to do it.

thepuckmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:55 PM
professorchaos

Ballard makes a perfect pass that gets one-timed by Garrison off of the crossbar and AV's decision after the game is to replace Schroeder on the point with Hamhuis. So two guys show that they just might have some offensive chemistry and you decide not to give it some life? With coaching like this, how will this team ever improve?

professorchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:03 PM
jigsaw99

fire coaching staff.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:38 PM
silvercanuck

Put Salo and Ehrhoff on the PP.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Put ****ing Tanev on the 1st PP so Garrison has a RHD to set him up.

If AV thinks that Schroeder can man the point (yet is only worthy of 4th line ES minutes), Tanev should get a look as well. His decision making is faster than most of our players'.

Also stop waiting 40 years to pass the puck or shoot. It neuters our offensive threat, the opposing team doesn't have to be Miss Cleo to read our plays and know whats going to happen if you give them that much time to do it.
I agree with this monster. Garrison and Tanev on the point on the first unit would be an interesting look, especially as another poster mentioned that Garrison had some luck manning the point on the pp with the Panthers. Why not try it? He's got a bomb of a shot. And I'd like to see Kass with the Sedins too. Or I mentioned this earlier but why not Higgins? He has a pretty quick release which is deadly on the pp.

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:13 PM
mossey3535

Oh guys, you and your sensible points with Tanev/Ballard feeding Garrison with one-timers.

Remember, this is a coach who gave up on the Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen line until they called up Ebbett.

This is a coach who not only did not prepare to for Dank to come back last year in the playoffs, he also failed to reunite the Sedin/Burrows/Lappy line that showed chemistry.

Aaron Rome played on the PP last year.

The more I think about it, the less I believe Newell Brown is picking the PP personnel.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:38 PM
David71

the pp continues to struggle.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote